Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You'll have to post a few pics now and not keep everyone else in suspense :pac:
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen :)

Okay, okay, okay... :pac:

I only have a few crappy quality photos of the car; I was planning on taking some good quality ones but the outside of the car is now filthy after all the driving done over the weekend! :D

Here ye go:

473450.jpg

I will take some decent photos when she's clean again and post them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That looks the business, enjoy! I am a little out of the loop now on the options on these but am I right in saying that it's a performance pack model? saying that based on the red details, also think the non pp isn't available anymore but I might have made that up.

I think the GTI PP is the pick out of the range, including the R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

yeah, its the PP. I don't think you can get a non-PP now, they've discontinued it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Now that's a car! Well wear, looks a brilliant spec and a class colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Looks well :) I like the red accents against the blue. It's too bad the Brescia isn't standard for the PP.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

That's some spec! Well wear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Lovely car health to enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Well wear dastardly. What’s the full spec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Here ye go:

473450.jpg

I love this.

Might do what you did and say I'll get one and come back when I do :D

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Well wear dastardly. What’s the full spec?

It's the 245 bhp PP version (the non-PP has been discontinued), it's DSG and it has the 19" Brescia wheels and the tech/winter pack. The colour is Atlantic Blue Metallic.

If I was going to wait the 18+ weeks for a factory order... I would have got Dynamic/Adaptive Chassis Control, and maybe the Honeycomb cloth seats.

I would also have chosen Indium Grey metallic... but I'm so happy I have the Atlantic Blue metallic; I absolutely love it. It's a lot different in the flesh compared to the colour on the VW Configurator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Well wear Dastardly - bring it to Coffee and Cars and share the new car smell. Colour Looks awesome but as you say no picture does it justice. That new car feeling/smell is hard to beat. Its a huge step up for you. Well done mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Well wear Dastardly , i love that colour - well wear. I recently joined the mk7 club myself and loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lovely job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

This author is usually very well informed. some info on mark 8 gti

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/volkswagen/vw-golf-gti-mk8-whats-in-store-for-2019s-hot-hatch/

Not sure about the front end in that mock-up. Those red bits that come back around would look better in black I think, similar to the current Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ChuckLarry

Have seen some other preview pictures and really not into the new style of headlights (if they end up looking like the pictures)

I noticed that the GTI TCR is available on the Irish VW configurator now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

carsfan2 wrote: »

That’s mostly speculation.
    I know VW invited some employees to a preview of the car recently and by all accounts it doesn’t look much like that. It’s a very slight evolution of the current car... one thing confirmed is that the door mirrors are moved down onto the door skin (like the Arteon) and a some Polo-like creases down the flanks.

There’s a couple of spy shots of the heavily disguised cars doing the rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I noticed that the GTI TCR is available on the Irish VW configurator now

It's way too close to the R in price. It's the kinda car that should be available with a manual box and handbrake.
    Stage 1 map on a PP and there would be nothing between them only a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That’s mostly speculation.
    I know VW invited some employees to a preview of the car recently and by all accounts it doesn’t look much like that. It’s a very slight evolution of the current car... one thing confirmed is that the door mirrors are moved down onto the door skin (like the Arteon) and a some Polo-like creases down the flanks.

There’s a couple of spy shots of the heavily disguised cars doing the rounds.

That guy Georg Kacher usually is spot on with his facts though whatever about the artist impressions.
    I wouldn’t be mad about the fog lights as described and surprised the base gti horsepower is not higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carsfan2 wrote: »

Gotta say I'm not a fan, to me it looks like an evolution of the old seat ibiza from behind

800px-2004_SEAT_Ibiza_SX_1.2_Rear.jpg?1550740849280

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Max Q

OSI wrote: »
    I call bull for the simple fact the radar isn't integrated into the badge in those images.

Also, the Golf performance models have dropped the Golf logo on the boot ever since the mk5 and on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Gotta say I'm not a fan, to me it looks like an evolution of the old seat ibiza from behind

800px-2004_SEAT_Ibiza_SX_1.2_Rear.jpg?1550740849280

Looks pretty much like a facelifted MK VII to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/first-drive-why-and-how-the-new-290ps-golf-gti-tcr-will-leave-you-breathless-37761080.html

Article says "only" 20 scheduled for Ireland; seems like a decent number for an expensive and niche model.
    Must find an excuse to take one for a test drive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

driving a 2007 passat 1.6 115hp since 2010 ( kids came along )

now i've 20k or bit more to spend on a new car

i'm thinking between GTD or GTD

mileage i do is prob 15km a year ( finglas - swords ) surrounding areas

i want speed and comfort

GTD might be lighter on insurance than the GTI

i'm in 2 minds

somebody please sell me the idea of which one to buy as im indecisive :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    driving a 2007 passat 1.6 115hp since 2010 ( kids came along )

now i've 20k or bit more to spend on a new car

i'm thinking between GTD or GTD

mileage i do is prob 15km a year ( finglas - swords ) surrounding areas

i want speed and comfort

GTD might be lighter on insurance than the GTI

i'm in 2 minds

somebody please sell me the idea of which one to buy as im indecisive :pac::pac:

15k a year, go for the GTI. Mileage isn't near high enough for a diesel.

The GTI will cost you €1700 in fuel doing 15k a year and having fun. That's a manual.

Yeah at that mileage I would go GTi. Depending on your age, there is very little difference between them insurance wise.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Yeah at that mileage I would go GTi. Depending on your age, there is very little difference between them insurance wise.

full clean driving licence

i've been putting €50 a week easily into my passat so happy you think gti is less

but even if its the same or slightly more thats all good

want something fun

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

i've been putting €50 a week easily into my passat so happy you think gti is less

want something fun

I'm in a similar boat to you, and everything I've read says go for the GTI. The GTD is a lovely car, and has a fair bit of poke (have driven it) but apparently the GTI is another league. Unless you're doing double that in mileage the advice seems to be go for the GTI.

• Advertisement

want something fun

If your putting €50 a week easily into a 1.6tdi your doing more than 15k a year, or is your commute going to change soon?

I’ve a 1.6tdi golf, I know the Passat is heavier but roughly the same, I do 15-20k a year and wouldn’t go anywhere near €50 a week with it..

Personally having been doing about 15k a year in a Gti for many years (and mostly long trips at that) I think its well into GTD territory as you go through a lot of petrol even on 15k a year. Especially when I started doing the same tip for a few months in 1.6tdi and saw the vast difference (I know GTD would be somewhere in the middle). I was going to change the Gti to a GTD every year for years and just never got around to it. The Gti really devours petrol in traffic too.

ChuckLarry wrote: »
    If your putting €50 a week easily into a 1.6tdi your doing more than 15k a year, or is your commute going to change soon?

Not necessarily. If you're doing town driving, stop/start driving is going to cause you to have terrible MPG regardless of petrol or diesel.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If you're doing town driving, stop/start driving is going to cause you to have terrible MPG regardless of petrol or diesel.

Fair enough that probably came across wrong, I was comparing my own 1.6tdi on similar mileage and €50 could would sometimes see me a month.

Assuming the OPs driving style doesn’t change surely he’s looking at a higher fuel bill from a larger petrol engine?

Then factor in the novelty of the extra horsepower for the first month or two ;)

Fair enough that probably came across wrong, I was comparing my own 1.6tdi on similar mileage and €50 could would sometimes see me a month.

Assuming the OPs driving style doesn’t change surely he’s looking at a higher fuel bill from a larger petrol engine?

Then factor in the novelty of the extra horsepower for the first month or two ;)

Yeah, you'd expect it to rise somewhat at least but not a huge amount over what it currently costs him. My 116d would sort me for about a week and a half on €50 but I do 25,000km p/y.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭easyvision

Even in horrendous traffic i get 35-40mpg in the GTD, would def be below that in a GTI. I do maybe 30km a year, would love a GTI, dunno if I could justify double fuel expense, but would love a GTI DSG. at 120-130km/h your looking at 50-52mpg in sport mode on GTD. I doubt a GTI at that speed would come that close? Mind you prob feels faster acceleration wise, just don't know if I want to spend double in fuel long term and more tax, more for insurance for me, Im 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Imo if OP is that worried about fuel costs then go with the GTD otherwise OP just won't enjoy the GTi as much.

I’d struggle to average 25mpg in the Gti if driving exclusively in heavy traffic.

Yea it'll be thirsty if stuck in traffic, how'd the new fiesta st fair in traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

My own tuppence worth is I bought the GTD and had GTi envy within 6 months.

Ended up swapping.

It turned out I had a GTi itch I needed scratching.

Go for a long test drive in both.

Worry about the fuel later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I’d struggle to average 25mpg in the Gti if driving exclusively in heavy traffic.

My R is the same.

I'm doing 30k a year so I faced the music and bought the GTD, would i have went for a GTi if i was doing half that, without a doubt. I average around 45mpg in mine. The GTD is a fine car and plenty quick (especially after a tune) but it's missing that "je ne sais quoi" that you only get from a petrol engine. I had a Fiesta ST before it and I miss the way I used to wring the neck off it.

I’ve a 1.6tdi golf, I know the Passat is heavier but roughly the same, I do 15-20k a year and wouldn’t go anywhere near €50 a week with it..

i have a 1.6 fsi not tdi

looking at new ones in uk and here

wtf are we paying €5000 more here

**** screwing us all the time

even with currency converter its €5000 diff

looking at new ones in uk and here

wtf are we paying €5000 more here

**** screwing us all the time

even with currency converter its €5000 diff

VRT.

SaintsYB wrote: »
    VRT.

i gathered that

but its aload of bollix isn't it

always getting shafted

i gathered that

but its aload of bollix isn't it

always getting shafted

Oh it's a complete joke. It's not likely to change though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone reckon the Leon Cupra will get some love now that the standard GTI is gone? It's not on the Seat configurator so I don't know the spec but the UK model seems to have the usual stuff like digital dash, LED headlights etc. I believe DCC is also standard.

The Leon looks a bit soft/round looking compared to the Golf but seeing it in videos it's not too bad. Alcantara on the door cards and everything. Looks well.

290hp for €40k vs 245kp for €44k, also currently 0% vs 1.9% to save a few quid again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

DaveyDave wrote:
    Anyone reckon the Leon Cupra will get some love now that the standard GTI is gone?

Mine gets lots of love.
    It was a bit of a toss up between Cupra and Gti but the standard kit (especially Dcc) along with the price difference swung it. No regrets at all.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone reckon the Leon Cupra will get some love now that the standard GTI is gone? It's not on the Seat configurator so I don't know the spec but the UK model seems to have the usual stuff like digital dash, LED headlights etc. I believe DCC is also standard.

The Leon looks a bit soft/round looking compared to the Golf but seeing it in videos it's not too bad. Alcantara on the door cards and everything. Looks well.

290hp for €40k vs 245kp for €44k, also currently 0% vs 1.9% to save a few quid again.

yeh fooking what when

what on earth do you mean , you telling me gti is gone ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement