Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how about a scheme where a child would buy the family home for their family and the elderly parent or parents would move to an apartment or duplex nearby? you could offer tax incentives...

like no stamp duty on purchase or either property...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how about a scheme where a child would buy the family home for their family and the elderly parent or parents would move to an apartment or duplex nearby? you could offer tax incentives...

I think you would need a far better tax incentive to get elderly people to move. I think it's a great idea but people fear change. My mother was forced to sell the family home and was so upset. She now realizes all the benefits of an apartment. She is happier now but wouldn't have made the decision willingly.

I think we need a carrot and a stick.

Zenify wrote: »
    I think you would need a far better tax incentive to get elderly people to move. I think it's a great idea but people fear change. My mother was forced to sell the family home and was so upset. She now realizes all the benefits of an apartment. She is happier now but wouldn't have made the decision willingly.

I think we need a carrot and a stick.

true, how about a month rent free & commitment free trial or such... to see how they get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

true, how about a month rent free & commitment free trial or such... to see how they get on?

Unless you have a load of apartments sitting empty in peoples community under your sleeve I can't see how that would work.

gourcuff wrote: »
    the reluctance of irish people to live in cities in Ireland is largely because placemaking is so poor, the public realm is an afterthought and our urban areas are not enticing to people to live in.

Irish people have no issue living in the cities that top the liveable cities index such as melbourne, sydney, vancouver etc, its not a cultural thing that cant be changes.. irish cities need to be greatly improved in all areas to make them attractive places to live for a huge cohort of irish people..

I mentioned this on these forums before that so many place are souless here, no community central space, no planned green spaces. It just cram new developments on top of each other with no thought to how it will be to live there.

I was basically laughed out of it, by people who only interest was getting their foot on the property ladder that suited their immediate needs, no care about long term living.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Unless you have a load of apartments sitting empty in peoples community under your sleeve I can't see how that would work.

maybe when the new blocks are built, they allow for the ground floor ones say, to be kept for older people, it would probably be a lot nicer for the elderly, to also be living beside the elderly in the apartments. DCC head said yesterday about the new development plan, the days of 3/4 bed semi d in dublin are well gone...

I propose a solution or idea with rounding, that could actually work here. Will they force people out of their homes here ? no. Will they introduce anything but a token gesture, waste of time property tax like we currently have? NOT A CHANCE!

This is a huge part of the problem here, you simply cant solve the crisis or opportunity, depending on where you stand. Without changing the system, the system they dont want to touch. Proper property taxes would be an obvious first step, will never happen here. You could even flag it a year or two in advance and say from 2023, the rates will be revised. They were set sooooo low though, how do you effectively triple or quadruple them (at least) to actually make them effective, from a political perspective...

We pretty much have almost nothing for older people here. No retirement villages, no assisted living, no protected community housing. There's the odd place here and there. We are also moving into smaller places usually over 2 or 3 levels, no garden, completely unsuited for multigenerational living and taking older relatives in. We have a crisis in nursing homes, fair deal etc.

So in that landscape, there's no way a developer is going to leave apartments for this. Local authority and health services have no resources for it.

I tried downsizing one relative and moving another. It was just one obstacle after another.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

The way things are going, by pricing the majority of younger families out to the suburbs, the areas within walking distance of the centers of our cities and towns will be the equivalent of retirement communities in a few short years IMO

I agree with the thinking behind this, but see it panning out slightly differently.

Premium areas such as D4 and 6, walking distance to centre, and high end established suburbs like Dalkey, Monkstown etc will be relatively unaffected because there will always be wealthy people to pay a premium for the most desirable locations.

Where I see a problem is in SCD suburbs like Goatstown, Stillorgan, Deansgrange etc. These are mature areas now, and if younger generation is priced out who is going to buy them when current owners sell up and move on.

First cohort of younger generation will have bought and settled in up and coming areas further out, and unlikely to trade up into these areas, next cohort are unlikely to be able to buy in SCD at current prices.

If i was an empty nester in my 60s in this area, with neighbours of a similiar profile I'd be exploring the option of joining forces with them to sell in bulk for development, with the sweetener of a mews or luxury ground floor flat thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »
    I agree with the thinking behind this, but see it panning out slightly differently.

Premium areas such as D4 and 6, walking distance to centre, and high end established suburbs like Dalkey, Monkstown etc will be relatively unaffected because there will always be wealthy people to pay a premium for the most desirable locations.

Where I see a problem is in SCD suburbs like Goatstown, Stillorgan, Deansgrange etc. These are mature areas now, and if younger generation is priced out who is going to buy them when current owners sell up and move on.

First cohort of younger generation will have bought and settled in up and coming areas further out, and unlikely to trade up into these areas, next cohort are unlikely to be able to buy in SCD at current prices.

If i was an empty nester in my 60s in this area, with neighbours of a similiar profile I'd be exploring the option of joining forces with them to sell in bulk for development, with the sweetener of a mews or luxury ground floor flat thrown in for good measure.

i think people are underestimating the ability of people to buy in SCD, there are plenty of couples both earning plenty of money that can afford it. As long as that persists property prices in more desirable areas will reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Cyrus wrote: »
    i think people are underestimating the ability of people to buy in SCD, there are plenty of couples both earning plenty of money that can afford it. As long as that persists property prices in more desirable areas will reflect that.

This is whats being a missed a large % of the population did not get affected by PUP or Covid when it comes to wages and in fact these people are saving more due to not having to travel to work or pay 10 euro for a soggy sambo and a coffee in Dublin city center areas which can be seen by the historic savings figures back in Oct/Nov of 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Cyrus wrote: »

Have to agree here, as distasteful as it sounds during a pandemic, there are plenty of early 30s couples floating around with this this kind of buying power.

Covid has not impacted this cohort. It's business as usual, perhaps with extra cash in the bank due to a decrease in discretionary spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

What you're showing does appear to make sense from just looking at the real world. For example, the children of many of the people who moved into council/corporation houses built right up the 1980's would now be in their 30's and may have flown the nest by now so there's probably just a couple living in many of those 3 bed houses.

What areas of Dublin would most of the council/corporation houses have built in the 1980's? I imagine it would have been Fingal and south county Dublin

Can you please explain so why in the 2016 census both of these places had 3+ occupants per semi-detached which is above the country average of 2.88

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

What areas of Dublin would most of the council/corporation houses have built in the 1980's? I imagine it would have been Fingal and south county Dublin

Can you please explain so why in the 2016 census both of these places had 3+ occupants per semi-detached which is above the country average of 2.88

That's a good point. Does the CSO provide the average occupancy for the corporation estates in those areas?

There seemed to be states of all sizes large and small still popping up all over. Long time ago to remember.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stamp duty is now so low that it would not form much of an incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

beauf wrote: »
    I mentioned this on these forums before that so many place are souless here, no community central space, no planned green spaces. It just cram new developments on top of each other with no thought to how it will be to live there.

I was basically laughed out of it, by people who only interest was getting their foot on the property ladder that suited their immediate needs, no care about long term living.
    Its something that has always bugged me.

Something they do much better in Spain from what I know.
    Centers/recreational areas/schools etc are built before/at the same time as big new housing projects so the infrastructure and amenieties are there from day one and creates a community.

Looks like the Minister for Housing is pushing hard on his HTB scheme.

The Irish Independent reported "Renters to save €11,000 under new affordable housing scheme, minister claims"

So, if the state lends you €100,000 to buy that house for €400,000 and you wish to sell in 5 years time and the market price is €300,000, is the buyer still on the hook to the state for the €100,000 they lent them to "help" them onto the property ladder?

If so, doesn't it go against their premise that it's to help people buy and not just a €100k subsidy to the developer payed in full by the purchaser?

Also, if the whole purpose of the HTB is to increase supply and bring down prices and if it works, isn't the purchaser who is availing of HTB guaranteed to lose money if he chooses to sell in 5 years time?

Link to article in Irish Independent here: https://www.independent.ie/news/renters-to-save-11000-under-new-affordable-housing-scheme-minister-claims-39993427.html

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Irish Independent reported "Renters to save €11,000 under new affordable housing scheme, minister claims"

So, if the state lends you €100,000 to buy that house for €400,000 and you wish to sell in 5 years time and the market price is €300,000, is the buyer still on the hook to the state for the €100,000 they lent them to "help" them onto the property ladder?

If so, doesn't it go against their premise that it's to help people buy and not just a €100k subsidy to the developer payed in full by the purchaser?

Also, if the whole purpose of the HTB is to increase supply and bring down prices and if it works, isn't the purchaser who is availing of HTB guaranteed to lose money if he chooses to sell in 5 years time?

Link to article in Irish Independent here: https://www.independent.ie/news/renters-to-save-11000-under-new-affordable-housing-scheme-minister-claims-39993427.html

Since the government is buying a 30% stake I would assume that the value of that 30% stake fluctuates with the value of the property. Up or down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭DataDude

When I initially saw this scheme proposed I thought it was political suicide. Given what we saw in the last election, I would have assumed FF/FG would finally see the light and that a reduction (or at least flatlining) of property prices was needed in order to not completely alienate the under 35s and get massacred at the next election.

Beginning to wonder now however - does it just solidify the vote of current homeowners, and potentially win over enough FTBuyers who use the scheme but aren't financially inclined enough to realise that they've just borrowed money to give to a developer because "sure I have a house now and I don't need to start repaying that bit for 5 years...happy days"?

Perhaps the idea is more "clever" than I gave FF credit for!

Who loses? Those of us non-home owners earning €100k+ who pay for everything but receive nothing...I guess some things will never change!

awec wrote: »
    Since the government is buying a 30% stake I would assume that the value of that 30% stake fluctuates with the value of the property. Up or down.

This was not the case with previous HTB Schemes in Ireland.

Previously if the property was under the market value at the date of purchase the owner still owned the full 30%.
    e.g.
    house market value at date of purchase 350k
    Gov Equity 30% 105k
    Individual 70% 245k

Individual sells the house 5 years later for 300k he only gets 195k (300-105) to repay against his mortgage with the bank.

Individual sells the house 5 years later for 400k he gets 280k (245+35) and the government get 120k (105+15)

If it is like the UK then these properties struggle to make the market value at date of purchase for a number of years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This was not the case with previous HTB Schemes in Ireland.

Previously if the property was under the market value at the date of purchase the owner still owned the full 30%.
    e.g.
    house market value at date of purchase 350k
    Gov Equity 30% 105k
    Individual 70% 245k

Individual sells the house 5 years later for 300k he only gets 195k (300-105) to repay against his mortgage with the bank.

Individual sells the house 5 years later for 400k he gets 280k (245+35) and the government get 120k (105+15)

If it is like the UK then these properties struggle to make the market value at date of purchase for a number of years to come.

My assumption was this being similar to the UK scheme. It sounds very similar, with the no fees for 5 years then a monthly fee etc etc.

But you could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

fliball123 wrote:
    So you dont believe what the experts think. I think I will believe experts over you with your track record. Sorry but 4/6% Obsolescence is the norm for this country. Houses have to be knocked down in order to build new devs.

The experts got it so right last time

He made reference to the scheme in England and how well it worked, however a review of same scheme found that 60% of the people that availed of it did not need it.

It was basically used as risk spreading tool

awec wrote: »
    My assumption was this being similar to the UK scheme. It sounds very similar, with the no fees for 5 years then a monthly fee etc etc.

But you could be right.

I just had a quick look at the UK HTB scheme and you are correct that the government take any gain/loss for the Equity element they have.
    e.g.
    if you purchased a home valued at £250,000 of which 20% was made up of an equity loan (£50,000) and the value of your home subsequently fell to £200,000. You would only need to pay back 20% of £200,000 which is £40,000.

This is different to the HTB schemes that were previously in Ireland. Will be interesting to see the exact details when they get published.

@Timingbelt

Is the data telling us that this is skewed by because "most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+" as per your claim?

I don't think so.

We have 69.6% of population living in underoccupied houses.

Age profile:

Screenshot-2021-01-21-at-08-39-06.png

Degree of Urbanisation:

Screenshot-2021-01-21-at-08-41-55.png

So the data is telling us 90.6% of people over 65 and 80.6% of people living in rural areas are living in underoccupied houses - NB that is very different to to telling us that 90.6% of underoccupied houses are lived in by 65 year olds or 80.6% of underoccupied houses are in rural areas.

According to the CSOs analysis of Urban and Rural Life in Ireland, 2019:

If 31.4% of population live in a rural area and 80.6% of people living in rural areas live in underoccupied houses we can estimate a number for comparison.

Total population - 4.9m

31.4% living in rural area = 1,538,600
    80.6% of these = 1,323,196 people living in under occupied houses in rural areas.

69.6% of total population live in underoccupied houses = 3,410,400 people.
    If 1,323,196 of these are living in rural areas, then 2,087,204 of these live in Cities or Towns and Suburbs. Or in other words a significantly higher number.

How many of these in rural areas are over 65? Age profile of the country is:

Screenshot-2021-01-21-at-09-03-15.png

So 14.3% of the total population is over 65. Presumably in rural areas that is higher so let's double it to avoid any argument - 28.6%

28.6% of the 1,323,196 = 370,475 people living in underoccupied houses in rural areas over 65.

Or to put it another way - about 11% of the total number of people living in underoccupied houses in the country.

It seems not to be the case "that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+." Not even close.

One of us is misrepresenting the data to suit our narrative. Is it you or me?

The reason that Ireland has a higher rate of under-occupied housing units is because of the different type of stock we have compared to our European counterparts. We have more semi-detached properties and they have more apartments which have less rooms.

The definition of under-occupied as per the SILC survey is as follows:
    Under-occupation is defined on the basis of the number of rooms available to the household, the household’s size, as well as its members’ ages and family situation.

If we take the number of rooms available the average for Ireland is 5.2 rooms per household with the average no of persons per room being 0.53.

This does not mean that no of average bedrooms per person is 0.53

This statistic does not tell us a lot about a property being under-occupied it just tells us that we have different type of housing stock with more rooms.

Instead if we look at the statistic of how many people per housing unit it gives a much better picture of under-occupied

Detached house Semi- detached house Terraced house Apartments
    Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area

Border 2.88 2.75 2.51 2.65 2.20 2.22 1.67 1.70
    Dublin 3.18 3.07 2.92 3.03 2.83 2.72 2.14 2.15
    Mid-East 3.09 3.14 2.77 3.10 2.62 2.66 1.97 2.13
    Midland 2.97 2.80 2.71 2.90 2.52 2.49 1.93 1.86
    Mid-West 2.88 2.82 2.57 2.73 2.33 2.38 1.86 1.92
    South-East 2.96 2.78 2.61 2.75 2.36 2.33 1.89 1.76
    South-West 2.89 2.93 2.57 2.80 2.35 2.46 1.76 1.89
    West 2.84 2.79 2.41 2.70 2.15 2.39 1.72 1.94

As you can see from the data Dublin and Mid-East have the highest ratio of people per housing unit with the Border counties (including Leitrim) having the lowest.

I also broke down the Regions by age group:
    Under 18 18-64 65+
    Border               21% 64% 15%
    Dublin City 15% 72% 13%
    Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown 19% 66% 16%
    Fingal 22% 69% 9%
    Midlands 22% 66% 13%
    South Dublin 21% 68% 11%
    West 20% 65% 15%
    Mid East 22% 67% 11%
    Mid west 20% 65% 15%
    South-East 21% 65% 14%
    South West 20% 66% 14%

I have to admit that I was surprised that DLR had the highest % of 65+

So what is this data telling us:
    If we assume
    1. Detached properties should have 4 people occupying the property
    2. Semi-Detached should have 3 people occupying the property
    3. Terraced Houses should have 2.5 people occupying the property
    4. Apartments should have 2 people occupying the property
    Then we would have the following capacity

Detached house Semi- detached house Terraced house Apartments Total Capacity
    Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area Aggregate Rural Area Aggregate Town Area

Border 91,715 16,432 5,732 6,206 1,186 2,189 545 1,391 99,178 26,218
    Dublin 5,136 45,221 88 -4,487 -165 -28,329 -52 -18,028 5,007 -5,623
    Mid-East 59,757 33,122 2,093 -6,549 -403 -4,484 56 -2,265 61,503 19,824
    Midland 46,290 15,117 2,048 2,140 -35 99 37 734 48,340 18,090
    Mid-West 82,478 21,829 4,311 9,099 728 2,268 187 848 87,704 34,044
    South-East 66,937 22,266 3,526 7,343 443 3,132 82 1,748 70,988 34,489
    South-West 96,626 37,855 4,162 9,874 769 1,526 308 2,093 101,865 51,348
    West 102,126 21,715 4,456 7,384 654 1,075 368 638 107,604 30,812

582,188 209,202

The reason that Ireland has a higher rate of under-occupied housing units is because of the different type of stock we have compared to our European counterparts. We have more semi-detached properties and they have more apartments which have less rooms.

The definition of under-occupied as per the SILC survey is as follows:
    Under-occupation is defined on the basis of the number of rooms available to the household, the household’s size, as well as its members’ ages and family situation.

If we take the number of rooms available the average for Ireland is 5.2 rooms per household with the average no of persons per room being 0.53.

This does not mean that no of average bedrooms per person is 0.53

This statistic does not tell us a lot about a property being under-occupied it just tells us that we have different type of housing stock with more rooms.

Instead if we look at the statistic of how many people per housing unit it gives a much better picture of under-occupied

Are you still saying that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+?

Are you still saying that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+?

What I am saying is that reason that Ireland is an outlier is due to its type of housing stock and that whatever capacity that we do have is mainly in Rural areas. Yes I assumed last night that there would be a higher % of 65+ in the Rural areas than there actually is.

No where does the data suggest that we could solve the housing crisis with a different use of existing stock in Urban areas.

Maybe you utilise stock in DLR better as 1 in 5 people there is in the 65+ category with the exception of this the data suggest that we couldn't solve the housing crisis with a different use of existing stock in Urban areas as the capacity is in Rural locations.

What I am saying is that reason that Ireland is an outlier is due to its type of housing stock and that whatever capacity that we do have is mainly in Rural areas. Yes I assumed last night that there would be a higher % of 65+ in the Rural areas than there actually is.

No where does the data suggest that we could solve the housing crisis with a different use of existing stock in Urban areas.

Maybe you utilise stock in DLR better as 1 in 5 properties there is in the 65+ category with the exception of this the data suggest that we couldn't solve the housing crisis with a different use of existing stock in Urban areas as the capacity is in Rural locations.

I get you're saying all that now. But there was no assumption yesterday. What the data was telling us then was:
    The data is telling us that we are consistent over the past 10 years and that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+

I'm asking you a simple question - having looked at the data again, do you think you were you wrong yesterday to say that or do you you still believe the data is telling us that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+?

Ignoring that question and posting about different types of housing stock and assumptions sounds a lot like clutching at straws. Which is kind of ironic.

I get you're saying all that now. But there was no assumption yesterday. What the data was telling us then was:

I'm asking you a simple question - having looked at the data again, do you think you were you wrong yesterday to say that or do you you still believe the data is telling us that most of the under-occupied houses are in rural areas with people 65+?

Ignoring that question and posting about different types of housing stock and assumptions sounds a lot like clutching at straws. Which is kind of ironic.

What I said last night is that you trying to prove that we have no housing crisis by using the under-occupied data was clutching at Straws and said it was Ironic. I was wrong in saying 65+ which I have already stated.

Are you willing to admit that the data does not indicate that we have a under-occupied issue in the cities?

I’m not a statistics expert, but would using the median calculation be more relevant than calculating the average in ireland given the large houses in Ireland which skew the relevance of using averages compared to many other EU countries.

For example if there’s 10 three-bed houses in an estate and 9 are occupied by one person each who’s over 75 and the last one is rented out to ten persons by a slum landlord, the average is c. 2 occupants per household but that’s of no relevance in making policy decisions as 9 of the 10 houses would definitely be under-occupied.

• Advertisement

What I said last night is that you trying to prove that we have no housing crisis by using the under-occupied data was clutching at Straws and said it was Ironic. I was wrong in saying 65+ which I have already stated.

Nope, what you actually said last night was that the data tells us most of the underoccupied houses were because of 65+ living in rural areas. Followed by:
    Your quote from earlier seems to be the case:
    If it is all down to the fact that the kids of Leitrim got out of there as fast as possible, then yes, there is nothing to see here

Telling people they are clutching at straws seems a bit Ironic now

That post didn't age particularly well.

Having said all that, it is always good when someone is big enough to admit they misrepresented data, particularly when they are so fond of accusing others of doing exactly that.
    Are you willing to admit that the data does not indicate that we have a under-occupied issue in the cities?

I stand by my original observation on these figures - they are very surprising given we are in the midst of a housing and rental crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement