Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-11-2018, 10:31   #46
Edward M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
Plenty of info out there on that subject. Presented on this thread too.
What makes the jump from being down on unionists, in other threads, and their intolerance of gays and abortion issues, to defending another group with virtually the same intolerance?
Not to mention their proclamations on their fight challenge videos calling opponents handicapped bastards.
It's time some had a look at the human rights attitude of the group they're trying to defend.
Advertisement
04-11-2018, 10:32   #47
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Have been saying it all through the thread. Abuses of welfare and entitlements occur across society and should be dealt with.
Should a presidential candidate be allowed to target one community on that subject in an erroneous and discriminatory way? No, he should be robustly challenged on that. And he was. Hence the whinging.

He didn't target them though did he? Wasn't he directly asked a question about them?

And while you are right that the issues occur across the country, they are extremely and disproportionally prevalent in the relatively small traveller community. How do you address the high levels of crime, illiteracy, substance abuse and violence in the community if you cannot discuss them openly?
04-11-2018, 10:34   #48
tretorn

Thats exactly it and in the Tipperary horse and house case the travellers said they never asked for the houses. They dont want inclusivity,they want local authorities to buy sites for them so they can live with their personally chosen extended clan beside them. They will bring up their children in filth and squalor rather than live beside someone they dont want to be beside. Giving them ethnic status only led to less understanding on their behalf about how unreasonable they are.

Travellers dont finish education so any work they can find will be low paid and they have no hope of work unless they have a fixed address. The fixed address means bills and responsibilities and not ringing the council to tepair damage done and collect rubbish etc and traveller culture involves living on handouts from everyone else( including begging at doors) Its not the individual traveller that employers could be financially induced to employ, its the fact that employers wouldnt trust the individual not to give information to traveller criminal elements, once bitten twice shy.

Have you ever spoken or even been within ten km of a traveller listermint, if not take your nose out of your sociology lecture notes and go and visit a few halting sites.

I still cant believe elderly people are opening doirs to unknown people though I suppose if you dont open the door criminals will come in the window. I had the Romas around last christmas, they turned up singing carols tunelessly and I ran them. An older msn living alone let one in to use his bathroom and they ransacked his house. Another family discovered Romas were calling to their elderly mother regularly “for tea”, their mother had early inset dementia and the Roma were emptying her purse every week and had the full run of her house.
What can you say or do, the Gardai do their best and when I rang them about “ the choir” they responded immediately. I saw them stopping a Roma woman recently and they searched her double buggy, I heard them telling her she was a disgrace so the two children must have been sitting on stolen property.
My sons phone was stolen in a night club and the Gardai told him Roma gangs fly in and steal hundreds of phones in one night and then fly back out again. I suppose the Roma are a disadvantaged put upon group too, big resigned sigh.
(3) thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:35   #49
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward M View Post
What makes the jump from being down on unionists, in other threads, and their intolerance of gays and abortion issues, to defending another group with virtually the same intolerance?
Not to mention their proclamations on their fight challenge videos calling opponents handicapped bastards.
It's time some had a look at the human rights attitude of the group they're trying to defend.
I am not trying to defend any group's stance on different issues. If they are wrong about gay rights or abortion etc, I will challenge them on that if I disagree. Their SEMS status does not threaten my rights to do that.

You will notice that I have never questioned a Unionist's right to identify as British. I voted for the GFA.

Same thing here.
Thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:36   #50
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
He didn't target them though did he? Wasn't he directly asked a question about them?

And while you are right that the issues occur across the country, they are extremely and disproportionally prevalent in the relatively small traveller community. How do you address the high levels of crime, illiteracy, substance abuse and violence in the community if you cannot discuss them openly?
No. He was asked about homelessness and introduced travellers and Tipperary himself.

He hasn't addressed any of the other issues you mention, that I can see. That is what his supporters think he was referring to in some sort of masonic secret shorthand way.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-11-2018, 10:40   #51
tretorn

I wonder will Tubridy make any reference on his radio show tomorrow to the criticism he got on twitter over his totally biased interview with Peter Casey.

As a very unwilling licence fee payer to RTE I would like management to review that interview and call Tubridy to account over it.
04-11-2018, 10:43   #52
fin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
it's quite obvious what she was talking about.

we very much have the balls to deport them. once the full procedures are exausted. direct provision may have it's faults but people going through the process need to be accommodated somewhere while they go through the process, somewhere the authorities can insure their whereabouts. + the majority of asylum seekers aren't fraudsters, they haven't been charged with, and in a court of law, found guilty of fraud.

or perhapse she is busy, out somewhere, asleep, whichever?

i'd say there is no chance. he couldn't even get elected to the presidentsy. i have a feeling this chap if he does go for politics, will be the irish version of flipflop farage. running for election but keeps being rejected.
I say there will be every chance he will be voted in especially in the counties he topped the presidential vote in. He has done very well so far.
(2) thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:47   #53
fin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by end of the road View Post
nope. he really doesn't. he says what some people think. but he most certainly does not say what all the rest of us think.

so am i, but peter casey is the exact same as them.

casey supporters got plenty of platforms to get their message across.
Sorry he does talk about more than Travellers, he was talking about health care the last night and the terrible long waiting lists for operations something I know all too well about.
Thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:48   #54
Omackeral

Quote:
Dear O, if you are the second highest contributor to that thread of 10,000 posts and you need to be told what it is travellers believe makes them travellers then I am sorry I have no inclination to help you.
Ok grand. I thought it would be a handy definition you'd have to hand and you'd have no problem sharing it. My mistake.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-11-2018, 10:49   #55
erica74

Quote:
They campaigned for this for years. They want their diversity recognised.
What makes them diverse? I think it's glaringly obvious what the general population recognises as traveller "diversity" but could you describe what you think their "diversity" is and why it needed to be recognised?

Quote:
Not sure why you wish to make things up them wanting to live above our laws in some way.
Do you listen to the news? There is absolutely no need for anyone to make anything up about travellers, they create their own headlines.
04-11-2018, 10:50   #56
Omackeral

Quote:
Should a presidential candidate be allowed to target one community on that subject in an erroneous and discriminatory way? No, he should be robustly challenged on that. And he was. Hence the whinging.
He was asked a question about the community in question and responded. He didn't target anyone. You're wrong. Incorrect.
04-11-2018, 10:51   #57
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica74 View Post
What makes them diverse? I think it's glaringly obvious what the general population recognises as traveller "diversity" but could you describe what you think their "diversity" is and why it needed to be recognised?

Do you listen to the news? There is absolutely no need for anyone to make anything up about travellers, they create their own headlines.
Some of them do, of that there is no doubt. Some of the settled community make the news too, some of our immigrant community as well, and for equally bad reasons.
Thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:51   #58
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch18 View Post
Can you outline exactly what diversity travellers have that should be recognised?
LOoK iN tHe ThReAd ThErE aRe 10K pOsTs!
(4) thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:52   #59
Omackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hillman View Post
complaints@rte.ie is the place to go.

This is the legislation that they failed in

"RTis obliged under Section 39 (1) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 to ensure that:

(a) all news broadcast is reported and presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster's own views."
That'll end up in the same type of filing cabinet as Francie's group's complaint to the Gardai
(3) thanks from:
04-11-2018, 10:54   #60
tretorn

The insurance companies are getting to grips with false personal injury claims and no prizes for guessing which members of our community are over represented in personal injuries claims.

Its about time the Insurance companies tackled this problem because its us fools who payy insurance and road tax who have been funding these payouts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...3%AD-1.3291459

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2768170/j...im-thrown-out/

Its all part of the culture and the Gardai dont have the expertise or the manpower to prosecute fraudsters. There should be a dedicated unit set up within the Gardai to deal with these people even if its funded by the insurance companies themselves. I would have no problem in paying extra for car insurance if it meant people would be prosecuted for these crimes.

Last edited by tretorn; 04-11-2018 at 11:04.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion