Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Small minds ahoy. Ypu'd really have to wonder what some on this forum used to do before the internet made trashing other people so easy. The barstools must have been welded to their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭gifted

She's 16....bless her, a child....and she's got a free ride in a yacht to America....fair play to her....as long as someone else will pay for it then I'm available to save the world.......

Bunch of free loading save the world brigade.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Greta is receiving ferocious criticism, which means a nerve has been struck. The personal attacks from some quarters highlighting her autism are unwarranted. I don't doubt her sincerity for a minute. Good luck to the young woman.

Do you actually believe in that Greta circus?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Climate saint Greta Trunburg is settling sail for UN climate talks in New York to demand that governments socially engineer and tax the little people into oblivion to save the planet. Accompanied by her film maker father who lives vicariously through her, a filthy rich aristocrat from Monaco and some German bloke the trip will no doubt vastly increase the wattage of her halo before she lectures us all about impending climate Armageddon in New York. Hopefully snaps from the trip will make it into Hello! Magazine.

Gee, sure am sorry for the emotional distress this is causing you bro :(

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Currently, this requirement is fulfilled by a 377 kg heavy-duty diesel engine, which also served for charging batteries for the power supply of light and electronics, navigation system.

48-volt lithium-ion batteries

Boat doesn't seem as eco-friendly as they are promoting.

Perhaps if you had a look at the boats site you might have found this:

How is the electricity needed to run all the boat’s systems generated?
    Malizia is equipped with a state-of-the-art 1,3kW solar system (see here for more information) and additionally with two hydro-generators, which are permanently installed on the stern of the boat and were specifically designed for IMOCA 60 racing yachts. With these two independently working systems, we generate more electricity than we actually need on board. Both energy sources allow us to run all the systems and electronics on board continuously – navigation instruments, autopilots, watermakers as well as our SubCtech ocean laboratory. So, we will be able to complete the transatlantic trip fully emission free.

Engine is a safety requirement for emergencies and for docking etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Nermal wrote: »
    Because it's obvious she's being deliberately built up by the media.

The attention she gets is not 'organic', it's orchestrated. It helps the media in getting clicks from supporters and from detractors, and it helps manufacture consensus for an environmental agenda. It's transparent manipulation. Of course that will make people mad!

It's a bizarre phenomenon. Since when did we value the opinions of children?

Exactly, her on her own I don't have an issue with - and fair play to her she's not a hypocrite by using SUVs and flying around the world - but her followers are.

Why the media have given her so much attention over what started as tantrums basically is incredible to me.
    And I do wonder about her "ausbergers" , is that used to make her more special - more untouchable as regards criticism ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So what do we all have in common.

As things stand - its like trying to talk in a room with music blaring in the background, its almost impossible to have a conversation that doesn't result in argument.

Moreover - the trash talk is the norm, its seen as your entitlement.

Whether we are for Greta, or against Greta - its clear that everyone on this thread cherishes their right to tear into people on social media forums....

We all have that in common.

I wonder would boards.ie set up a conflict free zone - where civil discussion is emphasised, and any trash talk results in immediate banning.

gifted wrote: »
    as long as someone else will pay for it then I'm available to save the world....

Im sure you're available for all sorts of gainful employment. Finding a generous benefactor to sponsor your efforts could prove a herculean task. :confused::(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The fact the Greta Thunberg is young is the point. It’s her generation that mine and the previous generations have f’ed over by our recklessness. She’s become a symbol for that.

When she found out the dangers her generation faces, she got depressed. Instead of remaining depressed, she took action and, with the Youth Strike, created a movement that just might have an impact on our politicians today. She’s a symbol of action, not words, and with the clock ticking towards a climate catastrophe, that’s exactly the kind of thing we need.

And I do wonder about her "ausbergers" , is that used to make her more special - more untouchable as regards criticism ?

Eh criticism for what exactly? Dont shoot the messenger buddy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Fresh from her huge hit with the1975, you know the one, with the catchy lyrics referencing global warming. :pac:

This is all obviously a publicity stunt to promote her new 'song' with Rod Stewart.

'We are sailing' 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So what do we all have in common.

As things stand - its like trying to talk in a room with music blaring in the background, its almost impossible to have a conversation that doesn't result in argument.

Moreover - the trash talk is the norm, its seen as your entitlement.

Whether we are for Greta, or against Greta - its clear that everyone on this thread cherishes their right to tear into people on social media forums....

We all have that in common.

I wonder would boards.ie set up a conflict free zone - where civil discussion is emphasised, and any trash talk results in immediate banning.

Unfortunately this seems beyond the scope of not just boards but life. It would be a good thing to try though. This forum really is a massively dominated by angry minds.

Im sure you're available for all sorts of gainful employment. Finding a generous benefactor to sponsor your efforts could prove a herculean task. :confused::(:o

Employment???....who said anything about that......I want it free....lol lol

Speaking if employment, what does her father work as?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

seamus wrote: »
    You'll find that nobody is putting stock in what she is saying, rather they're supporting her as a spokesperson for an entire movement.

She's not saying anything new or revealing any new ideas. She is pushing the climate change issue, she is acting as a conduit for the facts that we already know and the changes that we know we have to make.

Why her specifically? Well it has to be someone. She has proven herself adept at self-promotion and causing a stir. So why not her?

And the cynics are somewhat correct; she has a certain amount of imperviousness to her. Adults have pasts. College years and old jobs and old friends and old statements, that can be used to discredit them and thereby weakening their message.

Thunberg doesn't. She is a literal blank slate when it comes to mudslinging, and her age means that adults making snide comments just look like pathetic begrudgers.

On top of that she stands as a representative for the generation who will be the most affected by climate change. She is fighting for her future instead of relying on us to do it for her. Because fnck knows, she'd be waiting.

That's why she's being put front and centre, and why grown adults are supporting her.

The Asperger's thing is somewhat secondary. It was a thing initially, people were amazed that someone with Asperger's could be so in touch, coherent and media savvy. And in that regard she's a great ambassador for people of ASD. But it's definitely faded away, nobody's really talking about it anymore.
    The problem is as the de facto head she is open to exploitation and the movement like many others has out and out zealots who have no shame in taking any actions that suits them, often loud and pointless actions. A secondary risk is consumer fatigue. Rarely a day goes by without some doom and gloom environment story or another "clarion" call for unattainable demands. Many people would wholeheartedly support the concept of addressing the issue but we also understand it really takes time. Some people just don't want to wait.

With chunks of ice breaking from the Arctic ice sheet is it too much to hope for Titanic 2??

You mad bro? :pac:

It's good that she's highlighting climate change. She's a great girl.

What's bad however is the movement to take us back to the Stone Age instead of building lots of new nuclear power stations. Renewables aint gonna cut it as Germany have found out :

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-failure-on-the-road-to-a-renewable-future-a-1266586.html

is_that_so wrote: »
    Many people would wholeheartedly support the concept of addressing the issue but we also understand it really takes time. Some people just don't want to wait.

I fully agree! Let's give it another 500 years and reassess then. No point in rushing into anything is there!

Employment???....who said anything about that......I want it free....lol lol

Speaking if employment, what does her father work as?

Dunno what?

The fact the Greta Thunberg is young is the point. It’s her generation that mine and the previous generations have f’ed over by our recklessness. She’s become a symbol for that.

When she found out the dangers her generation faces, she got depressed. Instead of remaining depressed, she took action and, with the Youth Strike, created a movement that just might have an impact on our politicians today. She’s a symbol of action, not words, and with the clock ticking towards a climate catastrophe, that’s exactly the kind of thing we need.

It's an issue for our times no less than banning the bomb was a source of depression and great fear for an earlier generation. There really is no benefit to be had in disparaging previous generations. It leads to distrust, false accusations and ultimately communication breakdown. People as symbols are a danger to themselves in the sense that they can be undone and undermined by those who either wish to exploit them or bring them down. If we need an image it is something that endures.

I fully agree! Let's give it another 500 years and reassess then. No point in rushing into anything is there!
    Ah I see essay writing wasn't your forte. The word underwhelming would have been part of teacher comments! :D

• Advertisement

Dunno what?

I've no idea....that's kinda why I asked...lol lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's good that she's highlighting climate change. She's a great girl.

What's bad however is the movement to take us back to the Stone Age instead of building lots of new nuclear power stations. Renewables aint gonna cut it as Germany have found out :

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/german-failure-on-the-road-to-a-renewable-future-a-1266586.html

Germany was very foolish to attempt to phase out it's existing nuclear capacity for no good reason.

Unfortunately since Fukushima, the min safety standards for new nuclear plants has increased, making new plants economically impossible. The UK is struggling on with building a few but the costs have gone through the roof. And that's before you take into account the cost of storing an ever growing amount of waste for 10,000 years.

It'd be cheaper to buy thousands of batteries and charge them with the wind and run the grid like that. Not that I'm advocating something so drastic as that too would be an expensive folly. Ireland seems to have a good set up, wind/gas balance that doesn't cost the earth with a few more power storage devices we can phase out coal entirely. Densely populated countries like Germany or England haven't many options other than nuclear for now.

reg114 wrote: »
    The bile and uninformed vitriol directed at a child by many adults who should know better is nauseatingly predictable. Greta has shown more backbone and moral conviction than many of the world's leaders who are pi$$ing away their responsibilities as elected representatives. Tis the wont of a thug and bully to attack the vulnerable. I think she's an inspiration.

Can you not see that that’s the main reason they picked her as their mouthpiece. Any criticism will be met with attacking a child nonsense.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah I see essay writing wasn't your forte. The word underwhelming would have been part of teacher comments! :D

Is that so? :pac::pac::pac:

I've no idea....that's kinda why I asked...lol lol

Eh good man yeah fair play ;)

No one has wished death on anyone.

One poster made it up and now it’s gospel anyone that criticises her wants her dead apparently. You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Can you not see that that’s the main reason they picked her as their mouthpiece. Any criticism will be met with attacking a child nonsense.

Who picked her .

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    One poster made it up and now it’s gospel anyone that criticises her wants her dead apparently. You couldn’t make it up.

*slow clap*

Good lad :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I don't understand what you're trying to say here, can you be more clear?

Greta T has been in the news for months. You're commenting on media hype surrounding a topic you've only heard about today. Can't you see a contradiction?
    And your phrase "1 percenter child, with fairly simplistic positions" is yet another casual dismissal of her campaign.
    I think your recent arrival to the topic prompts me to dismiss your views on it.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Who picked her .

So you believe she did it all single handed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement