Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you do to prepare today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

grapeape wrote: »
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'm looking for dust/particle googles for my BOB and came across these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flakjak-dust-Desert-ANTI-FOG-Goggles/dp/B001O2KCPG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1326732074&sr=8-6

any thoughts or tips?[/QUOTE
    Just make sure they arent airsoft ones as they have a lot of vents in them i got ess goggles on eBay for 25 they have ballistic lens
    there are a few of them here
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=ess+goggles+

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OneGoalNoSoul

Snapshot_20120116.jpg

Was at home over the weekend and picked up the following. GhB/BoB is starting to take shape...

Today I hit the local €2 shop and picked up mini lighters emergency candles pack of 10 an emergency milar tube tent 8ft long great ground sheet for use with a tarp or poncho or sleeping bag or shelter 12 single use super glue and 40m of rope

Today I put up some razor wire on my back wall to make it more secure and added some solar security lights built a side gate and put stronger locks on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Busy man today fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

today i did a taste-run;) on a can of chicken balls in tomato sauce from aldi, a cheap store cupboar ditem. Thought it would go with pasta, in fact it is more like a sweet and sour tase, would work better with rice. Was surprisingly tasty, wouldn't say no to this at all.

mmm. Its going on the storage menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bought another Fire steel.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Planning to turn over the sods in the back garden and plant spuds later. Next question is how do I stop the puppy digging them up when I'm finished. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Planning to turn over the sods in the back garden and plant spuds later. Next question is how do I stop the puppy digging them up when I'm finished. :D

Actually with spuds that can be a real pain, I've had labs that would dig up a few spuds and take them away to eat :mad:. The big problem is that a little bit of digging/scratching uncovers a lot of spuds to the light so end up with a lot of green ones.

I've always had very large gardens so found it easy enough to train the dogs not to go onto certain areas and to keep off cultivated ground, but in a back garden I don't see how that will work. Unless of course its a chiwawa ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Would growing them in tyres protect or elevate them better?

http://www.ecopunk.org.uk/2007/03/growing-potatoes-in-tyres.html

• Advertisement

Unless of course its a chiwawa ;)
    No, its a fluffy little pomeranian. Not the first beast you think of when it comes to survival companions, although its a great guard dog, but its kryptonite for the ladies. :p I'll probably end up having to adjust her routine so she can do her business when we're out walking if I can't train her to stop digging, the rows look like the battle of the Somme at the minute.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Would growing them in tyres protect or elevate them better?

http://www.ecopunk.org.uk/2007/03/growing-potatoes-in-tyres.html
    It would alright, I'd need a lot of tyres though!

No, its a fluffy little pomeranian. Not the first beast you think of when it comes to survival companions, although its a great guard dog, but its kryptonite for the ladies. :p I'll probably end up having to adjust her routine so she can do her business when we're out walking if I can't train her to stop digging, the rows look like the battle of the Somme at the minute.

If we can train our wolf hybrid to not chase our chickens then I would guess you'd have an easier job.

Really like poms, a settled traveller family we know has them, they are left out all year round (I did mention travellers;)) and they are really hardy tough little dogs dispite the looks.

Really like poms, a settled traveller family we know has them, they are left out all year round (I did mention travellers;)) and they are really hardy tough little dogs dispite the looks.
    Yeah, I was down the vets a while back and was shocked to see they were only one step down from Siberian huskies, themselves only one step down from the first domesticated dogs, on the big chart of dog breeds on the wall. Some royals back in the 19th century took a shine to them apparently and embarked on a dedicated breeding programme to reduce the size.

In our current garden I grow nearly everything in raised beds and its easier to keep a dog off an area thats obviously different from the surroudings. The beds are only raised about 9inches and as I get more soil (and seaweed from the beach) I raise them up a bit more. Not sure I'd waste the raised bed space growing spuds though.

The tyres used to be free from any tyre place, as many as you wanted but I'm not sure now if they are allowed to give them away:confused:.

Since last post I've just started a new training routine. I spend at least one hour a day walking our largest dog, and initially a fast hour walk over some very rough ground was had work but now its got quite easy for me (+ I can now do my belt up another notch :):):)), so now I'm taking a rucsac with a few useful doggy things (balls, harness, ball thrower, camera, binoculars to check for other walkers) plus waterproof clothing. The intention is to slowly add a bit more each time to both increase the weight carried and create a bug out bag cross dog walking bag. I've an idea about having a brew at the halfway point just to test the gear out a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

If ya want any let me no

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Growing veg in bags is a pretty good way of avoiding doggy interference! the big blue Ikea bags are quite good for it, unless you want to buy actual grow bags....

I plan on growing inside a few of them, placed inside the raised bed (just so it looks a little nicer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

evilmonkee wrote: »
    Growing veg in bags is a pretty good way of avoiding doggy interference! the big blue Ikea bags are quite good for it, unless you want to buy actual grow bags....

I plan on growing inside a few of them, placed inside the raised bed (just so it looks a little nicer)

Can you really grow food in Ikea bags? Genius idea, how many spuds/carrots can you grow a bag? At least a week for a family I would think.

krissovo wrote: »
    Can you really grow food in Ikea bags? Genius idea, how many spuds/carrots can you grow a bag? At least a week for a family I would think.

Yup, Ikea bag's are extremely versatile and because of the plastic they're made of they don't leach chemicals! You can also grow in the plasticy material ones (eg. the small green coloured ones) - they're great for lettuce , tomatoes will grow in ANYTHING!

Personally, I prefer using bags, crop rotation, soil ammendments, no lost nutrients to unnecessary plants etc.

Plus 3 bags = earlies, mid-earlies and lates!

Just roll down the sides to the dept you need to initially plant, plant two or three spuds (in chitted sections) when they sprout, heap up the soil leaving just the tip of the leaves - this is the magic - you just roll up the bag and top up the soil! It's brilliantly space efficient, no waste of soil, no leaked nutrients and (if you have a dog who loves to dig) no heaped up soil to tempt them!

Carrots, just dump em into it! So long as you don't care for looks!

• Advertisement

I should probably have mentioned to poke holes in the bottom for drainage, because its plastic its easy to seal these up, or even burn the holes into it!

The tyres used to be free from any tyre place, as many as you wanted but I'm not sure now if they are allowed to give them away:confused:.

They are only too happy to give them away..As they cost appx a euro per tyre for disposal.Reckon tyres are one of the most versatile building blocks around a survival homestead.

@evil Monkee.
    Thats an idea with the Ikea bags.I've been trying to grow spuds in the blue barrells doing it as you described.All I get however is one or two large spuds,and a bunch of marbles for the size and volume of the barrel.:(
    Do you just do one plant per bag,or multiple plants?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

evilmonkee wrote: »
    I should probably have mentioned to poke holes in the bottom for drainage, because its plastic its easy to seal these up, or even burn the holes into it!

Holes need some thought, if on concrete or non porus base which prevent holes in the bottom from draining excess water, then a few holes need to be in the sides near the base.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    @evil Monkee.
    Thats an idea with the Ikea bags.I've been trying to grow spuds in the blue barrells doing it as you described.All I get however is one or two large spuds,and a bunch of marbles for the size and volume of the barrel.:(
    Do you just do one plant per bag,or multiple plants?

I had a problem using the barrels (it now collects rainwater), I found that because you couldn't roll down the sides that enough light didn't get in and so the bottom spud's would be really small. I've been told that covering too much of the top foliage will stunt growth as well but personally I think my problem was sunlight.

I plant one / two potatoes so between 2 - 4 , all spread out length-ways along the big bag, but if I was planting a smaller bag that was more vertical, I'd definitely plant no more than two chitts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I went through some of my food stock, I found 7 year old bag of green lentils (best before 2005) and 6 year canned old coconut milk (Best before 2006). So I just made tonight's dinner with it to see what shape its in.

Turned out great, made curried lentils cooked in coconut milk and water. Lots of flavor and no food poisoning yet :D I will try the same batch next year some time but I expect its good for a few more years yet.

I may start a thread for my recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

krissovo wrote: »
    I may start a thread for my recipes.
    Kooking with Krissovo.
    "It's not gone off, it's well matured!"

Stuff like lentils,rice andwheat if left unrefined can literally last ages.Stuff found in Egyptian tombs was supposedly still edible,and could be sprouted.
    Supposedly true,but maybe.. thats what killed Howard Carter&Co off??:eek:
    The curse of the Mummys wheat bread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Since last post I've just started a new training routine. I spend at least one hour a day walking our largest dog, and initially a fast hour walk over some very rough ground was had work but now its got quite easy for me (+ I can now do my belt up another notch :):):)), so now I'm taking a rucsac with a few useful doggy things (balls, harness, ball thrower, camera, binoculars to check for other walkers) plus waterproof clothing. The intention is to slowly add a bit more each time to both increase the weight carried and create a bug out bag cross dog walking bag. I've an idea about having a brew at the halfway point just to test the gear out a bit?

Thats great, i'm impressed, its not that easy to put new routines in place.

Are you using the dog to carry the bug out bag.and if not why not?

Got my Hexi stove :)

played around with the 15l bag - have now managed to fit gloves, hat,4 pairs of socks, and 1x1meter mini tarp in by switching the gas with the hexi.

• Advertisement

bonniebede wrote: »
    Thats great, i'm impressed, its not that easy to put new routines in place.

Are you using the dog to carry the bug out bag.and if not why not?

I might get a doggy back pack and get him to carry his own stuff so my bob is just that and isn't filled with dog food treats, balls and stuff but its his walk and he goes for a swim and does a lot of leaping around after balls so I didn't think it was that suitable.

Easiest way I know to put a routine in place is to get a dog that won't give you any peace if you havn't done something to use up his energy.

Advertisement