Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do car owners drive in the middle lane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Sometimes there's no space, then the car in the inner lane should accommodate the merging car so it can get on safely. It's not a written rule I think, but just the right thing to do.

Just try that driving in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

horse7 wrote: »
    Just try that driving in America.

Or on the autobahn sun Germany.

Oh I dunno, I do a lot of business over the phone as I drive along so between that and listening to Joe Duffy I think I'll just relax and drive along in the middle lane.

You are joking.........I hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I just stick to the middle lane tbh especially on the M50.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I just stick to the middle lane tbh especially on the M50.

So then artics can’t pass according to You( remember they can’t use the outside lane) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

So then artics can’t pass according to You( remember they can’t use the outside lane) ?

And great mess begins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Artics are restricted to 90klms. Most middle lane traffic rolls at over 100

Once drivers in the middle lane meet someone at 85km/h they eventually start looking around meanwhile slowing down, some move over to 3rd lane at the speed of 100 km/h, cars traveled on the 3rd lane at 120km/h slowing down as well. Trucks catching up... and congestion building up in the bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Sticking to the speed limit is doing anything under that limit. A driver doing 70 in a 120 zone is sticking to the speed limit.

That can be a Drivng Test fail (failure to make progress) as well as considered dangerous driving (driving too slowly for conditions) as it can lead to accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Forget it.

I was driving from clondalkin to Kildare today and was behind a Garda car.

He hung about in the middle lane with lane one devoid of any traffic.

I drove lane one about 200m steadily behind him.

Just after the Johnstown exit he moved to lane one and then to the naas only lane.

Basically from newlands cross to Naas, he sat in the middle lane.

• Advertisement

It doesn’t matter what speed an article is travelling at, you said You stick to the middle lane mostly, let me ask you a question, why is the inside lane there?

Darc19 wrote: »
    Forget it.

Just after the Johnstown exit he moved to lane one and then to the naas only lane.

Doing research after reading boards.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

Darc19 wrote: »
    Forget it.

Just a couple of weeks ago on M7 just past ball at Naas going southbound, I came across the community Garda car, white Tucson with Garda emblazoned on it but no blue light strip on it. Driving in middle lane at about 110. I was in left most lane, moved to middle and then to most right holding 120 in cruise control, passed him and then all the way back to left most lane. He never budged out of lane and I kept making progress in left lane, moving in and out to pass traffic on left lane. Could see him behind in the distance still trundling along in middle lane as a moving road block.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Not gonna lie, i like the middle lane and didnt give it much thought. Never knew it was an issue. Just mindlessly drove along, sometimes moving into fast lane to pass out.

Definitely be more aware going forward. Cant remember when i did my test but dont remember seeing this in the theory part.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

If someone is hogging the middle lane....i overtake them...problem solved

Ah! But then you have the Lane 3 Hoggers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think it's mainly down to laziness. Sit in the middle lane and do nothing.

Lane discipline is poor on the motorway network, and gets worse the nearer you get to Dublin in my experience.

The M50 is a complete farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

We're doing well, 137 posts in and it hasn't turned into a debacle about overtaking on the left (or roundabouts for good measure).......yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I still think it's more human behaviour than anything, we commonly default to the less stressful situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Zatoichi wrote: »

That was sublime!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Zatoichi wrote: »

That just made my Friday. I would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to that conversation.... "Oh, I didn't see you" couldn't possibly be an excuse in this case :)

• Advertisement

Lane discipline is poor on the motorway network, and gets worse the nearer you get to Dublin in my experience.

The M50 is a complete farce.

Good time to introduce motorway teaching lessons for L drivers.

Seen something today that stunned me: coach in middle lane on the M7 NB, car behind it, car shifted to inside lane,, undercut the coach, then pulled back into the middle lane in front of the coach & carried on.

what goes on in people's mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Seen something today that stunned me: coach in middle lane on the M7 NB, car behind it, car shifted to inside lane,, undercut the coach, then pulled back into the middle lane in front of the coach & carried on.

what goes on in people's mind?

Sounds like frustration that the coach was taking too long to move into inside lane.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Sounds like frustration that the coach was taking too long to move into inside lane.

Maybe, but I was ahead of both in the inside lane, & seeing the car undercut the coach twigged my interest.

This middle lane hogging needs law enforcement. I notice ( especially SB from the Ball ) HGV's also hogging the middle lane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This middle lane hogging needs law enforcement. I notice ( especially SB from the Ball ) HGV's also hogging the middle lane.

The one actual answer to OPs question, why do they do it, because there is no enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

During quiet times, ill usually sit on the left on the M50 but the middle of the day trying to stay left is an absolute pain as you get caught by slow drivers all the time resulting in frequent lane hopping, so its the middle where I spend most of my time on the speed limit. Theres a lane to overtake still so I dont see what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There are a thousand and one things about driving that you could say "why do drivers do this" when they are not supposed to.....

A few off the top of my head examples - why do car owners

- pull over on the side of motorways to make phone calls
    - park on footpaths
    - park on cycle lanes
    - accelerate through orange lights
    - stop the car on yellow grid box
    - drive in bus lane
    - pull u-turns where its not allowed
    - drive 10k over the speed limit (or 20k or 30k)
    - adjust speed after the limit sign changes, as opposed to before it
    - tailgate
    - look at their phone in slow moving traffic
    - and so on and so on and so on.

The broad approach seems to be that as long as you dont crash into anyone, its ok to do the rest of the stuff 60% right.

And if you get stopped by the Gardai for any of the above, then you get sympathy from other drivers - why arent they going after the real criminals, shooting fish in a barrel etc.

And on the other hand expect a completely different (higher) standard of rule compliance from other road users such as cyclists.

Its just mental what drivers get away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

liamog wrote: »
    The one actual answer to OPs question, why do they do it, because there is no enforcement.

why is it always someone elses fault.

This annoys me no end.

Its like the people who throw rubbish everywhere, and then give out because theres not enough bins - as if they have no other choice.

You know the rules.

You make a conscious decision not to obey them - thats on you.....

Its not the Gardai's fault that you do this.

The flip side is that if the Gardai do try to enforce there is uproar.

There are radio stations that will announce speeding checkpoints, warn drivers to watch out for them.

There is a massive culture of non compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    why is it always someone elses fault.

This annoys me no end.

Its like the people who throw rubbish everywhere, and then give out because theres not enough bins - as if they have no other choice.

You know the rules.

You make a conscious decision not to obey them - thats on you.....

Its not the Gardai's fault that you do this.

The flip side is that if the Gardai do try to enforce there is uproar.

There are radio stations that will announce speeding checkpoints, warn drivers to watch out for them.

There is a massive culture of non compliance.

Its known as public choice theory (on wiki). People will sometimes choose their own selfish interests over the common good. Its part of human behaviour and is found in pretty much every walk of life and we are all guilty of it somewhere, sometime.

A cognitive bias thats also seen in people is a tendency to hold other people to higher standards than themselves. So, for example if another driver beeps you for a transgression, you will tend to go on the defensive and say you judgement is not in the wrong. Or another example is people who will give out about cyclists breaking red lights but they themselves will jaywalk all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Oh I dunno, I do a lot of business over the phone as I drive along so between that and listening to Joe Duffy I think I'll just relax and drive along in the middle lane.

I cannot understand all the hoo haw about motorway driving where, regardless of the number of lanes, all the traffic is going in the same direction.
    The real drivers in this country are the rural folk who drive on narrow windy roads where very often there isn't room for two cars to pass never mind tractors, gravel trucks etc. You never know when some gob****e is going to come flying around the bend on the wrong side. If you do hit him on an unmarked road it's tough **** as those collisions are regarded as 50/50 regardless of the fact the gob****e was in the middle of the road. As for cyclists! They should be barred from country roads, let them into a park or somewhere to cycle round.

Advertisement