Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do car owners drive in the middle lane?

Options
  • 17-04-2021 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I have notice for sometime on motorway, car owners keep driving in the middle lane. Is there any reason for that?

550412.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Non enforcement of the keep left law.

I know someone who was advising another who wasn't confident on a motorway to just drive in the middle lane on a 3 motorway. I asked why they drove in the middle lane and the reason was that you risk getting cut up by people exiting from the middle lane if you drive in the left lane. When I said that if everyone drove in the correct lane you wouldn't risk getting cut up it was like a light bulb going off in their head, only a few million more to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Some car owners when they see HGV lorry behind move over to middle lane.
    Is there some new regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Tis a great shame motorway driving is not part of the Driving Test. I think also many just want to drive in a straight line whereas on the left you do have many drivers not going anywhere need the motorway speed. I reckon most people do think the middle lane is the correct lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Sheep.
    Brains switched off.

Cal4567 wrote: »
    Tis a great shame motorway driving is not part of the Driving Test. I think also many just want to drive in a straight line whereas on the left you do have many drivers not going anywhere need the motorway speed. I reckon most people do think the middle lane is the correct lane.

The same people think the outside lane is a normal lane too.

• Advertisement

If you are on the inner lane on a road like the M50 you will constantly encounter traffic merging on, then you have to accommodate that by switching to middle lane or adjusting speed. After a while of this it becomes tedious and sometimes dangerous so it's easier just to drive in the middle lane.

Don’t encourage them. I love having the left hand express lane on the M/N7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If you are on the inner lane on a road like the M50 you will constantly encounter traffic merging on, then you have to accommodate that by switching to middle lane or adjusting speed. After a while of this it becomes tedious and sometimes dangerous so it's easier just to drive in the middle lane.

This!!!

If the on/off slip roads (like the M50) are close together you will be constantly adjusting your speed or else jumping in and out of lanes.

Personally I think it's safer to cruise along in the middle lane, so that's where you'll find me.

However there is a place in hell for drivers in the middle lane ticking along well below the speed limit when the road is empty infront of them.

I just checked RSA website and it says "Build up speed on the acceleration lane before merging with motorway traffic"
    to math speed of motorway flow.

Perhaps there is another issue car drivers not accelerating enough to merge?

markmoto wrote: »
    I just checked RSA website and it says "Build up speed on the acceleration lane before merging with motorway traffic"
    to math speed of motorway flow.

Perhaps there is another issue car drivers not accelerating enough to merge?

Sometimes there's no space, then the car in the inner lane should accommodate the merging car so it can get on safely. It's not a written rule I think, but just the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Some more arguments. I don't know how applicable they are to Ireland but as you drive more and go around the world, things to keep in mind.

Smoother ride. HGVs destroy roads much faster than cars, and they are usually found in the slow lane, that lane often is more broken/ rough. Indeed, I have seen many roads where the repeated wheels of trucks have created gutters in the road, creating a phenomenon called tramlining, where your cars wheels start to steer according to the road, not you.

More reaction time. When an animal (or idiot, both happen) decides to run across the motorway, you get an extra lane's worth of time to identify and dodge. Particularly for motorways in rural/wooded areas.

Options and maneuver space. If I'm in one of the side lanes, should something happen which requires the taking of evasive action, my options are cut by half. You should be driving defensively, always asking "what if?". What if two cars ahead merge into each other? What if the cars behind are too close to you to stop before rear ending you? That sort of thing. I've seen enough motorway incidents just in front to be wary.

I realise that officially its the "wrong" answer, but as long as I remember that the default must be to not present an obstacle to faster vehicles overtaking, my lame of preference from experience is the middle one.

Smoother ride. HGVs destroy roads much faster than cars, and they are usually found in the slow lane, that lane often is more broken/ rough. Indeed, I have seen many roads where the repeated wheels of trucks have created gutters in the road, creating a phenomenon called tramlining, where your cars wheels start to steer according to the road, not you.

Tramlining usually occur during hot weather season and should be look after by local road maintenance.

According to New independent research conducted by the Freight Transport Association has shown that HGVs pay enough tax alone to cover almost the whole spending on road maintenance.

So if someone budgeting money elsewhere we cant blame HGV for that but for Ireland with mild weather, Tramlining / bad slow lane conditions is irrelevant.

I can frequently go faster in the inside line outbound from Liffey valley junction to Adamstown because all the fearful hesitant people who have forgotten how they are supposed to drive are all crawling along in the middle lane. The limit is 80 by the way
    If I come off the M50 from north, people clog the outside line, tootling along and they never move in until they pass Woodies. Do not ask me why Woodies, but there you are.
    I think Irish drivers are too bloody polite. If they were zombie-ing along in the outside lane in France Germany or Italy they’d be lifted out of it by the horn or flashing lights. They’d soon learn the lesson and that’s what we should be doing here.
    It is probably take about six months and we’d all know the new regime:D
    People are doing to many other things in their car instead of paying attention to their driving.

plus you can’t be hesitant when entering a motorway or major road. You have to be going slightly faster to merge safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

OP. How do you know that they own the cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You don't have to move anywhere, just drive with a proper gap between you and the car in front and people can merge.

The problem with the M50 is people all want to exit as soon as the hatch marks end and the people merging on all insist on doing the same. All the while both sets are in lines of traffic with less than a cars length between them . Then both sets start slowing and the whole lane is then dropped to 60 or 70 . This country is full of idiots that don't know how to drive.

Just this morning I was coming down the slip at tallaght northbound, I'm in the left slip that merges to the right one and then continues as the aux lane all the way to ballymount about 2km down the road. Of course some eejit decides that right where the hatch marks end and where the 2 slip lanes merge is the point he should exit at 70 to go to ballymount, despite a lovely big long lane ahead he could have exited in to at any other point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

34 years ago I was stopped on the M6 at 2am driving in the middle lane (took ferry) and was given a pleasant chat and a £30 fine.

I never sat in the middle lane again when lane one was clear

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Honestly I don't mind as long as they stick to the speed limit, it annoys me if I'm in the inside lane at 95 and I have to switch lanes 4 times to get round someone driving at 70,usually an aul lad with a peak cap or a woman driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

athlone573 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't mind as long as they stick to the speed limit, it annoys me if I'm in the inside lane at 95 and I have to switch lanes 4 times to get round someone driving at 70,usually an aul lad with a peak cap or a woman driver.

And then the other middle lane drivers are thinking how "dangerous" your driving is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sometimes there's no space, then the car in the inner lane should accommodate the merging car so it can get on safely. It's not a written rule I think, but just the right thing to do.

There can only be no space of people are driving too close to the car in front...........

There can only be no space of people are driving too close to the car in front...........

Ah come on, do you actually drive on the M50 or any motorway? Its common practice to adjust speed or move over to allow others to merge. Nothing to do with tailgating or bad driving, just normal every day procedure on a motorway. If you think that's not normal motorway practice you're either a non driver or looking for a pointless argument.
    Or possibly you just drive along happily like Mr Magoo oblivious to what's going on around you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If am driving in the left lane with sufficient space between me and the car in front and another car merges into that space then I no longer have sufficient space to the car in front. Add that to people who merged at below motorway speeds and its a recipe for disaster. the gaps between exits on the M50 is far too small so sticking to the middle lane makes for a smoother drive. on the M1 or other motorways I will happily sit in the left lane.

Hi Ladies, now that I understand your point of view for driving in the middle lane.
    And I do realise that many of you who prefer middle lane or lane called number 2 not actually aware that you're the main cause of traffic jams and fatal road collisions.

By holding middle lane in a matter of 30 minutes drivers behind you ending up in congestion.
    Congestion is not the only factor. Holding lane N2 stress other drivers to weave in and out of the traffic

According to RSA
    You should always use lane N1 (slow lane) for normal driving. And stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hi Ladies, now that I understand your point of view for driving in the middle lane.
    And I do realise that many of you who prefer middle lane or lane called number 2 are not actually aware that you're the main cause of traffic jams and fatal road collisions.

By holding middle lane in a matter of 30 minutes drivers behind you ending up in congestion.
    Congestion is not the only factor. Holding lane N2 stress other drivers to weave in and out of the traffic

According to RSA
    You should always use lane N1 (slow lane) for normal driving. And stay in this lane unless you are overtaking.

try that on the M50 in rush hour and come back and talk to me about stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    The same people think the outside lane is a normal lane too.

Do you mean the fast lane?

;)

KaneToad wrote: »
    Do you mean the fast lane?

;)

There is no fast or slow lane rather Lane1, 2, 3 etc
    So everyone should stay on Lane1 (slow lane)

try that on the M50 in rush hour and come back and talk to me about stress.

We are not talking about rush hours rather when people holding middle lane while lane1 (slow lane) empty. See first post picture.

And I do realise that many of you who prefer middle lane or lane called number 2 are not actually aware that you're the main cause of traffic jams and fatal road collisions.

According to RSA

Hi Mark, from reading your posts in this thread I assume that you are a new driver more comfortable with driving theory but with little driving practice. Otherwise why would you even be asking such basic questions.
    The only advice I can give you is to practise and get actual experience of the roads and your reactions. The rules of the road are great guidelines but your best friend is common sense. Especially when you are protecting yourself and your passengers from harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If ever there was an argument for using average speed cameras, it would be to utilize them to fine people driving in the wrong lane instead of speed.

Habits would soon change...

Hi Mark, from reading your posts in this thread I assume that you are a new driver more comfortable with driving theory but with little driving practice. Otherwise why would you even be asking such basic questions.

Basic question in what way?
    I created thread to bring awareness to people who love to drive in middle lanes while lane1 is empty and that they causing huge problems from congestion to fatal road collisions.

Many countries already introduce fines for drivers who holding middle lane for no reason. Run youtube search to see for your self.

• Advertisement

Basic question in what way?
    I created thread to bring awareness to people who love to drive in middle lanes while lane1 is empty and that they causing huge problems from congestion to fatal road collisions.

Many countries already introduce fines for drivers who holding middle lane for no reason. Run youtube search to see for your self.
    Mark, you created thread in 'Learning to drive' forum.
    That implied to me that you were just starting out.
    Your subsequent posts didn't dispel this idea.

Advertisement