Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do car owners drive in the middle lane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

GreeBo wrote: »
    You really only get boxed in by other MLMs though.

Whats a MLM?

Does anyone really believe that those who complain and rant about drivers in the middle lane are drivers who stick in the left lane?
    They aren't. You will find them in the 3rd lane. And they will try to justify this by saying they are forced there by those taking the middle lane.
    Well, boo-hoo.
    You're as much part of the problem as anyone else you try to blame.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Does anyone really believe that those who complain and rant about drivers in the middle lane are drivers who stick in the left lane?

I can only speak for myself, I have an equal disdain for outside lane drivers, its the failure to keep left that I have an issue with. My problem is that the drivers failure to show either the competentancy or curtesy to drive in the correct lane impacts me when I need to pass them. Driving along at 95km/h in the incorrect lane causes me to have to cross lanes 4 times instead of the 2 it should take me. I will admit when I'm in lane 1 and someone is driving along in lane 3 with lane 2 clear, I will commit the mortal sin of passing on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They aren't. You will find them in the 3rd lane. And they will try to justify this by saying they are forced there by those taking the middle lane.
    Well, boo-hoo.
    You're as much part of the problem as anyone else you try to blame.

Except that those in the 3rd lane are there because of people needlessly driving in the 2nd lane, unless you want them to illegally pass on the left?

If they were correctly using the first lane the 2nd lane would have light traffic and the 3rd lane would have even less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Whats a MLM?

Middle Lane Motorist perhaps? Or the last M could be something less complimentary. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Inner lanes are for big-slow lorries, dublin bus, old people, cars carrying sofas, mattresses, beds, the whole bedroom, new reg car owners - ye I see it a lot and cars joining the motorway and people who just chill driving one hand.

Third lanes driver fast builders, contractors with their ford rangers, transit, vw vans, toyota land cruiser, car reg from north, ESB vans, UPS, DPD, garda X5, emergency vehicles, boy ricer and people who are in hurry to go to the loo.

Driving in the middle lane you get to see lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Inner lanes are for big-slow lorries, dublin bus, old people, cars carrying sofas, mattresses, beds, the whole bedroom, new reg car owners - ye I see it a lot and cars joining the motorway and people who just chill driving one hand.

Third lanes driver fast builders, contractors with their ford rangers, transit, vw vans, toyota land cruiser, car reg from north, ESB vans, UPS, DPD, garda X5, emergency vehicles, boy ricer and people who are in hurry to go to the loo.

Driving in the middle lane you get to see lots of things.

which one are you?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    which one are you?

I am the one you see when you look at your rear view mirror. Blinking my headlights to say move out of the lane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I drive in the fast lane with my white duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

FrankC21 wrote: »
    I am the one you see when you look at your rear view mirror. Blinking my headlights to say move out the lane.

I forgot that fluence was such a weapon

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    I forgot that fluence was such a weapon

LightheartedCaringAiredale-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

I drive in the fast lane with my white duster.

The driving lane is the new "fast lane" if you are on the upgraded part of the M7

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs?t=90

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭matchthis

harmless wrote: »
    The driving lane is the new "fast lane" if you are on the upgraded part of the M7

https://youtu.be/UrgpZ0fUixs?t=90

Geez that brings me back

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

One thing that pisses me off here is the range of speeds. You get everything from 80kph to 140kph. Any driving I've done in France everyone goes around the limit,makes for a much more relaxing drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

One thing that pisses me off here is the range of speeds. You get everything from 80kph to 140kph. Any driving I've done in France everyone goes around the limit,makes for a much more relaxing drive.

Absolutely, but if I'm overtaking, I'll set my cruise to speed limit plus 2kmph and make no apologies for being in their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Absolutely, but if I'm overtaking, I'll set my cruise to speed limit plus 2kmph and make no apologies for being in their way.

As someone who pulls in as often as they can, this can be problematic as well. You end up stuck behind someone bimbling along at 90 while someone very slowly overtakes you. Now I'm not having a go as no one has the right to ask you to speed but I'm just pointing out another issue connected with the people bimbling at 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's down to experience. Once you've a few miles and years under your belt, merging in and out of the inside lane is child's play. If you can't or won't use the left hand most available lane, you can't drive properly.

As said way back on page one : the biggest problem is lack of enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

No idea what happened here most likely a dangerous merge, but a white van is involved so could also be tailgating/road rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

I am a hgv driver i drive midleton cork to redcow Dublin daily...and constantly see cars sitting in middle lane doing 80km in a 100km zone and on m7 which is 120km in lane 2 doing the same.. I just under take them as found the minute I move out to overtake they speed up...and i also noticed sitting there for 20km then at the very last minute move in to turn off so I do my very best to block them 😀...many years ago while driving coaches around Ireland and UK another driver told why would you sit in the middle lane as your constantly looking in both your mirrors like a meerkat...stay in inside lane and only use one mirror...another good reason to stay in that lane and not upset people...and i think the other reason that driver do this is either busy talking on phone or to there passenger that they don't realise where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

On 3-lane roads like the M50 or N7 to the Carlow exit, and during non-nightime hours, I generally spend most of the time in L3 doing the limit-ish or as close to it as traffic volume permits and overtaking the dozens upon dozens of cars who can't even manage that.

Given the volume and the proximity of the exits (particularly between J6 and J11 on the M50) I've no interest in constantly switching lanes on the M50/N7 during the day, slowing and speeding up unnecessarily, watching to be cut off by someone merging/breaking the hatch markings or diving for an exit at the last minute and so on. I will instead cruise as far away from all that as possible until I reach my exit and only having 1 lane of cars to worry about beside me rather than caught in the middle while all this goes on around me.

On 2-lane stretches/at quieter times though I alternate between L1 and L2 to overtake when needed, but I've done enough driving over the years and seen enough of the above daily that - in the generally complete absence of any enforcemrnt beyond speeding - I will use my own experience and judgement to keep myself, any passengers, my car and those around me as safe as possible, and if that means cruising along in L3 at the limit-ish, then that's what I'll do.

AGS vehicles incidentally are always in L3 and while yes, they are exempt from normal traffic laws, they are still expected to abide by them while not on an active call as I understand it, so if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

I totally agree with what your doing not causing any obstruction and at the correct speed...just wish sometimes my truck could go along faster 😀.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭creedp

For me thats an example of sensible driving based on the road conditions as against slavishly applying rotr in a completely impractical manner. I can never fathom out the view that you should continuously shalom between L2 and L1 when overtaking rather than simply continue on L2 and overtake without all the bloody drama, obviously so long as you're not holding up any faster moving traffic

However, some would say you're a dinosaur and should resit your test😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

If you are talking about the M50 in dublin then im not surprised.

If you are in slow left lane and when near traffic junctions coming in from the left be prepared to be almost crashed into by some drivers.

That's why most stay in middle lane. Not saying its correct but It's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tell me you dont like or know how to drive without telling me you dont like or know how to drive.

"I drive in the middle lane because I don't want to have to do all that overtaking and checking my mirrors stuff....yunno, driving"

Do you find traffic lights a chore or do you just blast on through? how about roundabouts, though I'm somewhat terrified to hear how you approach them. You must wake up sweating at the thoughts of a yield sign or, heaven forefend, a zip merge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

100% agree with this. Merging traffic is to much of a pain to keep having to deal with when there are close junctions. Middle lane it is.

It may be theory and rules that say you should drive in the left lane except when overtaking. Experience soon tells most drivers that the middle lane is better for driving in.

I drive long distances on motorways in the UK fairly often. I dont know where people are getting this idea that they somehow are more disciplined on motorways than we are here. They use the middle lane exactly the same way we do in Ireland. They will stay in the middle lane just as often as we do.

I stopped reading after first line as I knew you were referring to someone else

I think left lane zealots may simply be inexperienced or simply lacking in confidence so they drive knuckle white style and stick ridgidly to the rotr without applying any context. They'd prefer to be continuously enraged by people joining a motorway and interrupting their steady progress rather than move over to L2 and facilitate a more smooth driving experience for all drivers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you find merging traffic to be enraging and you don't know how to handle it then your definitely in the group of inexperienced and unconfident drivers. Maybe you should get some practice at changing lanes, the M50 is a great spot to do it, drive in the inside lane and you'll need to make 4 lane changes every time you need to pass a middle lane muppet.

Just to be clear I dont get enraged by mergers as Im either in the middle late to facilitate mergers or considerately either slowing down or speeding up in L1 to allow smooth merging. Or actually driving to the prevailing conditions rather that shaking a fist ot a rotr book. As for having to make 4 lane changes to overtake😂 not sure who is the muppet

If you are a regular M50 user Im sure you have spotted plenty enragees though, flashing lights and shaking fists etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement