Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do car owners drive in the middle lane?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

grassylawn wrote: »
    I think it is courteous to move out a lane when someone is merging if there is space to do so.

I use the m50 at all times of the day and night .

There plenty of times when it could be me and 1 other car up ahead or behind, then coming to a junction they just change to the middle lane. Not when they see a car on the slip, they just do it. Absolutely no need to move anywhere and even if there was a car coming down the slip lane, if they can't negotiate their way to safely merging on to road with one or two cars on it with a slip that goes all the way to the next junction then they shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Your motorway driving experience must be very limited. There are several sections of motorway where drivers are legally obliged to be in lane 2, 3 or 4 and obeying the posted limit. If other drivers in the left lane choose to ignore the posted speed limit, I can't see how that makes the others in the wrong lane.

Where are you legally obliged to be in anything other than the left lane?

Are you talking about the m50 /m1 junction where the right lanes go to malahide and the city centre? This is clearly indicated as different by using thicker broken lines between lanes because they are effectively separate slips.
    Aswell as at sandyford where the m50 becomes 2 lanes and the left lane becomes the slip.

This is not the same as sitting in the middle lane of the rest of the m50 (or any other motorway) while traffic overtakes on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Same as why people in Ireland tend to walk on the right side of the pavement and it's to do with natural inclination... Guess it carries through onto the road and maybe if we were drive-right-side instead of left it might happen less?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    As anyone undertaken in lane one when a car is hogging lane 2 below speed limit just to try to prove a point, ive never done it myself.

My understanding is that it's only considered undertaking if you pass someone who is in Lane 2 by accelerating past them in Lane 1 and then moving into Lane 2 ahead of them. If you stay in Lane 1 at a consistent speed faster than them and don't move into Lane 2 ahead of them that is perfectly fine.

As I say just my understanding and I did my driving test abroad, so willing to be proven wrong on this!

Yes there is a difference between passing and overtaking on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Main reason is that nobody has a clue how to use a two lane never mind a three lane motorway. Also a complete lack of enforcement helps to encourage it.

This! The thread must be the top 100 drivers in Ireland, surprised they haven't made it to formula 1! Gods on the road!

The best is when they say: 'This country is full of idiot drivers...' and then go on to detail all the reckless traffic incidents they encounter on a daily basis. Never realising the main cause of the trouble is sitting in their own driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The reason you have middle lane hogging is that it's a far easier way to drive for the driver. They do not have to worry about traffic leaving or in particular merging. And it's merging that's the real issue. No matter how big of a gap you leave you could still end up travelling parallel to someone trying to merge - leaving you having to brake or move out and it may not always be safe to do either of those, or you might find that situation stressful. Driving down the middle avoids this.

This isn't to excuse the behaviour, but it can explain it.

If you're in the left lane and there's traffic looking to merge, its not difficult to lift off a little to let someone merge, its also not difficult to read the road before they're even in a position to merge and move to the middle lane temporarily, returning to the left when its clear. You should never need to brake to let someone merge unless you've been totally oblivious to the traffic around you.
    Your post does raise another point, it's not always a lack of awareness, sometimes it's just laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

If traffic corps run on selective day (Awareness day) and pull over everyone who is holding middle lane for no reason. in a matter of weeks we would have far less congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

markmoto wrote: »
    If traffic corps run on selective day (Awareness day) and pull over everyone who is holding middle lane for no reason. in a matter of weeks we would have far less congestion.

Why would they put resources into this, and not into addressing more serious, dangerous behaviours like speeding and mobile phone use?

• Advertisement

Why would they put resources into this, and not into addressing more serious, dangerous behaviours like speeding and mobile phone use?

Agree but day of Awareness on the road / radio /etc would give people better understanding about middle lane driving. We would have less traffic jams and btw road collisions too. Just thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I think it is courteous to move out a lane when someone is merging if there is space to do so.

And if there isn’t, what do you do?
    If the merging car is just faster than you?
    If you can see they are significantly slower?
    I will not slow down to let a dopey eejit merge, but I will keep an eye on a fast car and ease off a tiny bit, but then I don’t tailgate and a fast car can nearly always slot in in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a Learning to drive question, moved to main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    And if there isn’t, what do you do?
    If the merging car is just faster than you?
    If you can see they are significantly slower?
    I will not slow down to let a dopey eejit merge, but I will keep an eye on a fast car and ease off a tiny bit, but then I don’t tailgate and a fast car can nearly always slot in in front of me.
    I generally make space for people trying to merge if I am obstructing them from merging. If there isn't space to move out a lane then you can speed up or slow down to make space as appropriate. It isn't rocket science. I appreciate it when people do the same for me. I am annoyed if someone doesn't move out a lane if it is empty and doing so would make it easier to safely merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ah come on, do you actually drive on the M50 or any motorway? Its common practice to adjust speed or move over to allow others to merge.

Yeah, you're speeding up in the on ramp and decide you'll go behind a car already in the lane. Then that tool starts slowing down to let you in...

Just keep your speed consistent and let people entering the motorway figure it out without needing to deal with your unpredictable behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its a lot easier to read and post on Boards when in the middle lane

Lot of people equate the lanes with speed. Left is slow, middle fast, right for overtaking

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    As anyone undertaken in lane one when a car is hogging lane 2 below speed limit just to try to prove a point, ive never done it myself.

No, but at non busy times on the m50 I've approached a middle lane moron in lane 1, and correctly moved from 1,2,3, pass,2,1 and seen them turn their head to follow me with a slack jawed expression.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Main reason is that nobody has a clue how to use a two lane never mind a three lane motorway. Also a complete lack of enforcement helps to encourage it.

Have you never seen a patrol car on the m50 hogging the middle lane? Can trust them to enforce the law.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If someone overtakes you on the left, youre in the wrong lane.

So are they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I generally make space for people trying to merge if I am obstructing them from merging. If there isn't space to move out a lane then you can speed up or slow down to make space as appropriate. It isn't rocket science. I appreciate it when people do the same for me. I am annoyed if someone doesn't move out a lane if it is empty and doing so would make it easier to safely merge.

You shouldn't be annoyed at that, there is nothing in the rule book to suggest that you need to switch lanes for merging vehicles. The onus is on the vehicle joining the road.

I agreed if there is no other vehicles on motorway make sense to move temporary to lane two to allow smooth merging. However merging vehicle must Give way to traffic already on the motorway. There is no reason to get annoyed for that.

(RSA) When you are joining a motorway.

•Build up speed on the acceleration lane before merging with motorway traffic.
    •Give way to traffic already on the motorway.
    •Change your speed to fit safely and legally into the traffic (lane1).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have notice for sometime on motorway, car owners keep driving in the middle lane. Is there any reason for that?

550412.png

What's wrong with driving in the middle lane?

What's wrong with driving in the middle lane?

Read this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116922854&postcount=23

Haven't time, so what's wrong with driving in the middle lane?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Haven't time, so what's wrong with driving in the middle lane?

We drive on the left in this country, that means you should always be in the leftmost lane unless overtaking a vehicle on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Sticking to the speed limit is doing anything under that limit. A driver doing 70 in a 120 zone is sticking to the speed limit.

Driving that slow on a motorway could also be considered hazardous driving as that would be travelling significantly below the speed limit.

liamog wrote: »
    We drive on the left in this country, that means you should always be in the leftmost lane unless overtaking a vehicle on your left.

Oh! So on on a 3 lane motorway all traffic should be travelling in the left lane unless overtaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

Infini wrote: »
    Driving that slow on a motorway could also be considered hazardous driving as that would be travelling significantly below the speed limit.

Significantly below the maximum of 120kmh yes but also need to consider that while slow vehicles are prohibited on motorways this is below 50kmh, the speed limit for trucks is 90kmh and a vehicle towing a trailer is 80kmh. Making the need for lane discipline and driving on the left important for traffic flow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its because the middle lane is the easiest to drive in without having to make any adjustments.

If you stick to the inside lane you need to overtake slower drivers constantly, move to the middle lane when approaching slip roads. Its generally more effort

However keeping to the middle lane forces those keeping to the rules to move into the outside lane which causes excess traffic into one lane resulting in more congestion.

Advertisement