Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any 530e owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I last put petrol in my 530e on December 7th. I do a lot of short driving 30km round trips, then home for a charge then out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

KCross wrote: »
    Huh? Typo or are you serious?
    Yeah, sorry! Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lumen wrote: »
    I think everyone can agree that buying a plug-in hybrid that you're not going to plug in is stupid.

For some owners, a PHEV is just a compliance car bought for tax reasons. They rarely / never plug it in. This is very common in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    For some owners, a PHEV is just a compliance car bought for tax reasons. They rarely / never plug it in. This is very common in the UK.

It was mainly just an issue with the Outlander PHEV. They're plugging that loophole in April and they've already removed PHEV grants in the UK so its no longer a compliance car in that sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Indeed. It nonetheless falls under my definition of "stupid". Opinions will differ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

I've done a few tests and with a full charge and heating off I get 26/27 km

That seems a bit on the low side

bmwfan wrote: »
    I've done a few tests and with a full charge and heating off I get 26/27 km

That seems a bit on the low side

Most of the first gen PHEV's can only do about that distance. You might do a bit better in summer when the battery is warmer but not much better.

The newer ones with bigger batteries (12kWh+) and the ones coming down the track can do a solid 50km+

I'd say it will be a matter of time before 80-100km will be possible. That seems to be the direction that OEM's are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Hot off the presses......................
    530e recall....................:eek:.

xbDJwOv.jpg

Well, maybe not :D.

Anyone get their free sticker yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

Mines going in tomorrow for foggy headlamps ill let you know if it comes back with a new sticker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 EVenthusiast

Folks, any advice please on a charger unit? Does anyone have the BMW iWallbox? Is it ok to install this unit outside or are there any other recommendations?

I have a few prices from guys to supply & install various units but would be equally as happy to buy one of these and just pay the install charge. I assume the combination of purchase and install is allowable for grant? The iWallbox on its own is above the grant amount in any case. I dont foresee too much work in an install at our house as the meter box is already on the outside wall exactly where I want the EV charger (with the fuse box directly on the other side of the wall inside the house). I'll probably need a switch for the electric shower though from what I've read.

Thanks in advance as always

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Have a question about these that I can't find a straight answer on anywhere. Switching on the car switches on the ICE, but is it possible to switch on straight into electric only? What happens when the ICE kicks in after using up 30kms, is the engine coming in cold basically?

Wondering how this is managed.

Also how are your batteries holding up? I'm going to buy later in the year and wondering if I could get away with a 2017 or should I get an 18/19 if battery degradation is an issue.

Most of my driving will be under 30km range daily with the odd 2-3hour trip maybe once a month.

Folks, any advice please on a charger unit? Does anyone have the BMW iWallbox? Is it ok to install this unit outside or are there any other recommendations?

Outside is fine. All the charge points are rated for outdoor use.
    I assume the combination of purchase and install is allowable for grant?

Yes, you can buy the charge point privately and add on the electricians costs to take you above the €600 grant amount and they will give you the €600 then.

fifth wrote: »
    Have a question about these that I can't find a straight answer on anywhere. Switching on the car switches on the ICE, but is it possible to switch on straight into electric only? What happens when the ICE kicks in after using up 30kms, is the engine coming in cold basically?

Any PHEV I sat into had an EV only mode so it doesnt start the engine unless you use the kickdown on the accelerator or the battery is dead.

I'd imagine the 530e is much the same, so yes, it would be coming in cold once the battery is dead. You can flick it to hybrid mode which will bring the engine on immediately if you want it to warm up prior to a motorway run or something.

Generally, you just let the car decide itself whats best based on speed, battery charge etc.

Update from earlier post - charge point pricing I'm looking at ranges from:

1) ESB supplied and installed Circontrol 7kWh for €749 incl VAT up to 2) BMW iWallbox 12kWh purchased from BMW and installation by 3rd party coming to approx €1,150 in total. Both prices before grant.

I'm personally leaning towards the more expensive option for 530e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

1) ESB supplied and installed Circontrol 7kWh for €749 incl VAT up to 2) BMW iWallbox 12kWh purchased from BMW and installation by 3rd party coming to approx €1,150 in total. Both prices before grant.

The iWallbox looks smarter too, imo.

I presume you mean 7kW and 12kW?

The 530e wont be able to charge at either of those speeds but you should at least install a 7kW charge point to future proof if/when you buy a BEV.

Also, double check the 12kW one as that sounds like it is a 3 phase charge point which would require you to have 3ph in your house. Sounds a bit suss to me.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    I presume you mean 7kW and 12kW?

Yes sorry I meant 7/12kW options but yes reading the BMW booklet for i Wallbox (bmw.ie/content/dam/bmw/marketIE/bmw_ie/pdf/BMW%20i%20Wallbox%20%20Charging%20Brochure.pdf) your are right it does look as if 12kW might just be available for single phase. I'm waiting on the parts guys in BMW to come back to me on what they have available.

Do you figure I'd be mad then outlaying the extra for the look of the BMW? Essentially both chargers will do the same thing?

Yes sorry I meant 7/12kW options but yes reading the BMW booklet for i Wallbox (bmw.ie/content/dam/bmw/marketIE/bmw_ie/pdf/BMW%20i%20Wallbox%20%20Charging%20Brochure.pdf) your are right it does look as if 12kW might just be available for single phase. I'm waiting on the parts guys in BMW to come back to me on what they have available.

Do you figure I'd be mad then outlaying the extra for the look of the BMW? Essentially both chargers will do the same thing?

No, go for the Wallbox if it floats your boat aestethically. It also has the ability to be upgraded for active load management(very useful feature) so its a somewhat advanced unit in that regard. Im sure its a decent unit but I doubt very much that its 12kW single phase based on the spec sheet you've posted above.

I presume this is for your house and your house is single phase... if thats the case you need to ensure its a single phase unit they are providing and I'd be willing to bet it will be a 32A unit so 7.4kW max... which is fine.

The 12kW unit I bet is a 3 phase unit which will be no use to you on a single phase supply.

Update from earlier post - charge point pricing BMW.................. iWallbox 12kWh purchased from BMW and installation by 3rd party coming to approx €1,150 in total.

Don't forget to avail of the BMW First subscription if going for the BMW wallbox option.
    It offers a 20% saving off parts & accessories. The wallbox should be classed as an accessory............could save you a few hundred €uros ;).

Use my link & you won't even have to pay for a month or two IIRC.

Personally, as a 530e owner, I'd go for the BMW wallbox if there's so little in the price difference.

Link: BMW First.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

Kramer wrote: »
    Don't forget to avail of the BMW First subscription if going for the BMW wallbox option.
    It offers a 20% saving off parts & accessories. The wallbox should be classed as an accessory............could save you a few hundred €uros ;).

Personally, as a 530e owner, I'd go for the BMW wallbox if there's so little in the price difference.

I'm planning to use your referral code once I get the car on Irish plates :)
    Revenue taking an age on the vrt

I have a zappi v2, waiting on it to be installed next week, am hopeful it will work well with the pv panels on the house.

I have had the car for a week(191, comfort, msport and plus packs) Im very impressed with the car so far, lot of fun to drive, so far my commute is all electric, but I am charging it more than I expected(cold weather and cold engine doesn't help)

Potato Man wrote: »
    Revenue taking an age on the vrt

Don't be afraid to appeal too if they take the mick. Fingers crossed they won't.
    I have a zappi v2, waiting on it to be installed next week, am hopeful it will work well with the pv panels on the house.

Zappi sounds ideal with the PV panels.
    I have had the car for a week(191, comfort, msport and plus packs) Im very impressed with the car so far, lot of fun to drive, so far my commute is all electric, but I am charging it more than I expected(cold weather and cold engine doesn't help)

With a (hopefully) tethered Zappi, it takes a few seconds. It's really not worth seeking out public charging unless say, overnighting in a hotel or such. Charge at home as often as possible & you'll get great commuting, electric only range when some fine weather appears...........hopefully........soon.
    Great car - great spec you got too!

Well wear :).

• Advertisement

bmwfan wrote: »
    Mines going in tomorrow..........ill let you know if it comes back with a new sticker

Mine was in today for its monthly mini valet.............no sticker that I can see but they gave me an info sheet & got me to sign a disclaimer to confirm I'd received it :D.
    Guess I can't sue now if my house catches fire :confused: (joking, of course!) :D.

SBJ3kWl.jpg

fifth wrote: »
    The iWallbox looks smarter too, imo.

Took a quick picture today at the dealers............substantial looking unit.

6kIG3qT.jpg

It'll be clean like this for...........................

0nwgnsj.jpg

Still, can't be seen to be driving a filthy BMW around the shop now can I :cool:.

Great advice on the subscription it makes total sense. Still waiting on the dealer parts guys to come back to me on availability and price - you’d swear I asked them to price a bottle or washer fluid!

Going to move on something in March just watching the prices and specs etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi
    Contemplating getting one of these.
    Have a Superb 2.0 TDI, 172 so Ill be going for a '19.
    I drive twice most weeks to work, on N roads. Its 75km each way. We have 2 charge points at work.
    Currently on the way to work I'm getting anything between 35-38mpg and on the way home its around 40-42mpg.
    Long term its telling me the car is doing 41mpg.

I'm averaging 25k kms a year.

Any thoughts on my possible choice? I see the range of the 2020 model will be a tad longer.
    But aside from a Tesla I don't like any of the other electric cars, so this is the closest I'd go to electric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No point getting one of these, for a 75 km trip a diesel or a full BEV would be better options.
    A base model 3 would be cheaper too

yop wrote: »
    Any thoughts on my possible choice?

15000km & 10000km (work:leisure) mileage

Rough calculations:
    For commute:
    Charging at home @ €0.08kWh (night rate)
    €115 elec at home (free work charging)
    That will account for half of your 150km twice weekly, commute
    Petrol for the other half - €550 petrol (410l)

Leisure mileage 10,000km:
    Electricity €55
    Petrol €540 (400l - assuming 1/3 on electric & 2/3s at 6l/100km)

Overall consumption would be approx 3.3l/100km or 86mpg (plus €170 in electricity approx).

I'd rather sit in a new 5 series than a Leaf to be honest & you'd save no more than €20 per week in a Leaf too with your usage.

Figures are approx & could be slightly better or worse, obviously being considerably worse if you never plug the thing in :).

Just to add, if converting the electricity content into the sums (€285 electricity = 211l petrol @ €1.35/l), consumption would be 4l/100km or 70mpg).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Rough calculations:
    For commute:

Electricity €55

Overall consumption would be approx 3.3l/100km or 86mpg (plus €170 in electricity approx).

I'd rather sit in a new 5 series than a Leaf to be honest & you'd save no more than €20 per week in a Leaf too with your usage.

Figures are approx & could be slightly better or worse, obviously being considerably worse if you never plug the thing in :).

Just to add, if converting the electricity content into the sums (€285 electricity = 211l petrol @ €1.35/l), consumption would be 4l/100km or 70mpg).

I really think these PHEV’s are really attractive from a running cost perspective, unless you have specific use case the fuel savings with a BEV are going to tiny vs a PHEV yet you have zero range anxiety issues. BMW also are not charging the premium that some other marques want to step up to the PHEV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Rough calculations:
    For commute:

Electricity €55

You could possible add another 20 km to be on a par with a diesel @ 60 mpg in that scenario ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

The whole which fuel is for me is vastly over thought by lots of people. Unless the mileage is massive the savings between petrol, diesel and PHEV are small. You'd swear diesel was free and petrol wasn't the way people go on.
    A 530e is what it is, a nice, comfy quiet 5 series which you can tip around short journeys without using fossil fuels. Trying to get your costs down to the cent when comparing petrol and diesel is silly, buy the car you like the best. I very much like the idea of a 530e to replace my a6 diesel when the time comes, I'm not an ideal candidate for one as I drive long spins 2 to 4 times a month well outside its electric range.

But come on, you're talking about a 5 series here which isn't exactly budget motoring. You're going to lose 20k in 3 years on a 2019 5 series at least, that's about 130 to 140 euro a week for 3 years in depreciation alone. Buy the one you like, not the one that will save you a fiver or a tenner in fuel because with small mileage that's all it will be.

I think I use 15 euro less diesel now a week in my 2.0 tdi a6 than I used in my 2.5 petrol e60 5 series, not exactly groundbreaking stuff.

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    I really think these PHEV’s are really attractive from a running cost perspective, unless you have specific use case the fuel savings with a BEV are going to tiny vs a PHEV yet you have zero range anxiety issues. BMW also are not charging the premium that some other marques want to step up to the PHEV

Zero range anxiety is correct, but it requires some work, more you charge less petrol you use, I would like to see range increase and faster charging.

The 530se diesel is €63,360 and the 530 se phev is €60,010. Charging a premium for driving a tractor engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

kanuseeme wrote: »
    Zero range anxiety is correct, but it requires some work, more you charge less petrol you use, I would like to see range increase and faster charging.

The 530se diesel is €63,360 and the 530 se phev is €60,010. Charging a premium for driving a tractor engine.

In fairness the diesel is a 3 litre, the PHEV is a 2 litre. I'd probably still have the PHEV personally though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

When the lights go green, I put the foot down and leave all the other cars in my dust. I do it in style, comfort and silence. The fact that I get 78mpg is a nice bonus.

78mpg is what the clock is saying, but I think it’s actually much higher.

Great advice on the subscription it makes total sense. Still waiting on the dealer parts guys to come back to me on availability and price - you’d swear I asked them to price a bottle or washer fluid!

Going to move on something in March just watching the prices and specs etc.

UPDATE...

So now I have my Wallbox charger on order - note you can't avail of the BMW First discount on over the counter items. Plus the whole order process is a bit of a mess as Irish dealers have to place on order through BMW Ireland and not direct. I personally think they're missing a trick here but they honestly must sell that many +€700 parts to be bothered. I had to try 3 dealers before the one I ordered the unit off showed any interest in taking my money.

On the 530e, I've one found and expect to collect next week. Going myself to make sure all is in order. Dealing through a BMW main dealer.

So now I have my Wallbox charger on order - note you can't avail of the BMW First discount on over the counter items.

That seems quite wrong as they state it includes "accessories". Last I heard, accessories included mats & many other over the counter items.
    Might be worth checking the T&Cs & dropping BMW Ireland an email.

Don't forget to get the SEAI approval before commencing any installation work.
    I had to try 3 dealers before the one I ordered the unit off showed any interest in taking my money.

Shows how much of a financial boom we're in - they'd be chasing you if they weren't selling plenty of cars & there was any profit in the wallbox.
    On the 530e, I've one found and expect to collect next week. Going myself to make sure all is in order. Dealing through a BMW main dealer.

Best of luck with it - take plenty of hand sanitiser :P.

That seems quite wrong as they state it includes "accessories". Last I heard, accessories included mats & many other over the counter items.
    Might be worth checking the T&Cs & dropping BMW Ireland an email.

I'm pretty sure by now - both dealer and BMW Ireland were fairly emphatic. From what I gather reading the BMW First small print you could argue either way. I left it at that as to be fair to the parts dealer in question they have been really helpful. It is a pity though as the subscription would have been justified for some time thereafter!
    Don't forget to get the SEAI approval before commencing any installation work.

I already have the SEAI approval thanks, my next battle is with the various opportunistic installation companies out there who've been saying to me "sure you get a €600 grant" and I keep saying "yes but that shouldn't mean the consumer gets overcharged for a 3 hour installation job at €5/600". With a bit of shopping around I've found a genuine installer interested in a fair job at a fair price and he's not getting stuck in.
    Best of luck with it - take plenty of hand sanitiser :P.

I will update on how it goes fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks for all the information guys! Fup it I agree, I love the car first off, the rest is well just the tight ar9se in me! :)
    Now to shift the Superb first :)

Might try and get a spin in one to see what I think about them before going to the UK!!!!

Enjoy the new motor Ev :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

With regards to importing a 530e from Uk,

- how long is the warranty period on a new 530e. I’m thinking of a 2017 or 2018.
    - does BMW Ireland honour the UK warranty?
    - reading about a few reliability issues, any noticed anything so far?
    - servicing going forward? Presume only with BMW dealers due to complexity of the electric?

• Advertisement

Cona wrote: »
    With regards to importing a 530e from Uk,

- how long is the warranty period on a new 530e. I’m thinking of a 2017 or 2018.

3 years from new in the UK which becomes 2 years once imported here. So a March '18 UK car will just be in warranty now (March '20), out next month.
    does BMW Ireland honour the UK warranty?

Yes.
    reading about a few reliability issues, any noticed anything so far?

Nothing here so far.
    servicing going forward? Presume only with BMW dealers due to complexity of the electric?

I'd service as usual when out of warranty. Nothing to service regarding the electric parts - usual engine oil, filters, brakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

3 years from new in the UK which becomes 2 years once imported here. So a March '18 UK car will just be in warranty now (March '20), out next month.

Is this a recent change ?

I got the full 3 years on the i3.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Is this a recent change ?

I got the full 3 years on the i3.

I've seen the 3 year to 2 year change on BMW's website, maybe in T&Cs or an FAQ, not quite sure.
    A quick search here seems to yield conflicting info from BMW/BMW Ireland though so I guess it's somewhat nuanced.

Still, as long as they can point to official T&Cs, I wouldn't 100% bank on the third year. I'd still fight for it though :).

From BMW's UK website...

Warranty Outside UK.
    Every new vehicle supplied by an Authorised BMW Centre in the UK carries a 36 month BMW Retailer Warranty. This warranty commences on the original registration date of your vehicle. During the first 24 months, should your vehicle need to be repaired under warranty within the United Kingdom or outside of the United Kingdom, it may be taken to any Authorised BMW Centre or BMW Service Authorised Workshop. The repair will be carried out under the terms and conditions of the warranty, provided you can show the vehicle is still within the 24 month warranty period. This can easily be done for example by producing the service booklet where appropriate and showing the FREE PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION box stamped by the supplying Authorised BMW Centre.

The third year of the BMW Retailer Warranty is only valid provided the vehicle is registered in the United Kingdom.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/topics/owners/service-workshop/warranties/new-car-warranty-guidelines.html

I'm not sure why where it's registered has anything to do with warranty but it seems like an escape for them, should they chose to use it.

The two years is the BMW manufacturers warranty. This is transferable within the EU (by law)

The third year is a discretionary warranty from the dealer. This is not transferable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

See below an extract from a response I received from BMW Ireland last August.

---

Received: 17.08.2019 16:17
    Subject: Warranty on UK import

Thanks for your email about the warranty on an imported vehicle to Ireland.

I can confirm the BMW with Vin BNXXXXX has a three year warranty and the third year will be covered in Ireland.

I hope this is helpful.

If there's anything else I can do for you, please get back in touch.

Kind regards,

--
    BMW Group
    Ireland
    Customer Service Executive

2 Swift Square
    Northwood Park
    Santry
    D09 R802
    Ireland

Tel: 1890 719 421
    Email: customerservices@bmw.ie
    Web: http://www.bmw.ie

• Advertisement

That's good news. Seems more of a goodwill approach to cover the third year. Would make a big difference to someone considering bringing in a 2 year old car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

After reading TJJP's post yesterday I followed up with BMW to see if where I stoodd with my 530e which was first reg'd int he UK in June 2018 and I imported in Oct19. Here's the reply I've just received:

Thanks for your email about the manufacturers warranty on a UK import.
    I can confirm the three years manufacturers warranty that comes with all new BMW's will be honored in Ireland.
    When this expires you can extend the warranty by contacting our BMW Insured warranty department on 1850 940 200.
    If there's anything else I can do for you, please get back in touch.
    Kind regards
    [Name]

--
    BMW Group
    Ireland
    [Name]

2 Swift Square
    Northwood Park
    Santry
    D09 R802
    Ireland

Great news to receive with all that's currently going on!

The two years is the BMW manufacturers warranty. This is transferable within the EU (by law)

The third year is a discretionary warranty from the dealer. This is not transferable

TJJP wrote: »
    See below an extract from a response I received from BMW Ireland last August.

I can confirm the BMW with Vin BNXXXXX has a three year warranty and the third year will be covered in Ireland.
    BMW Group
    Ireland

2 Swift Square
    Northwood Park
    Santry
    D09 R802
    Ireland

Tel: 1890 719 421
    Email: customerservices@bmw.ie
    Web: http://www.bmw.ie

madds wrote: »
    Thanks for your email about the manufacturers warranty on a UK import.
    I can confirm the three years manufacturers warranty that comes with all new BMW's will be honored in Ireland.

BMW Group
    Ireland
    [Name]

I'm not sure..................who to believe..............
    Is it 2 years or 3? :D

Thanks to TJJP & madds for correcting any misinformation that was posted :).

3 years - makes the 530e a fantastic buy & pushes my warranty out to 2022 ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MM3

I'm not sure..................who to believe..............
    Is it 2 years or 3? :D

Thanks to TJJP & madds for correcting any misinformation that was posted :).

3 years - makes the 530e a fantastic buy & pushes my warranty out to 2022 ;).

Just to put your mind further at rest, I also got a similar response when I enquired about the final year of warranty on the I3 l imported i.e that the 3rd year would be recognised in Ireland.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is a good change, BMW Ireland used to not recognize the UK third year on imports

• Advertisement
Advertisement