Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

emo72 wrote: »
    That would explain it. Seems a bit mad to go 10 miles past it and back? And after that short trip it needs refueling? Obviously there's tons i don't know about SAR. Horrible disaster.

I wonder would it be to do with the prevailing wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There's an AC 139 from Cork heading NW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

donvito99 wrote:
    There's an AC 139 from Cork heading NW.

All the remaining ICG S92s are heading away from the scene so maybe Air C are covering for a while? They must be burning through flight hours.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    All the remaining ICG S92s are heading away from the scene so maybe Air C are covering for a while? They must be burning through flight hours.

Also possible could be transfering NS personnel from Cork (Haulbowline)?

Devastating day for aviation, ES and the marine in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

donvito99 wrote: »
    Also possible could be transfering NS personnel from Cork (Haulbowline)?

Devastating day for aviation, ES and the marine in this country.

Possibly naval divers to be deployed to the Roisin.

achill lifeboat on the way out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The person lifted from the water this morning has passed away. Rest in peace Dara

First casualty of Coast Guard helicopter crash named as Captain Dara Fitzpatrick http://jrnl.ie/3286936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

The Journal is reporting the first casualty Captain Dara Fitzpatrick died in hospital this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Gerard O'Flynn of the Coast Guard confirms that Captain Dara Fitzpatrick of Rescue116 has died Rip, 3 crew members still missing

Thoughts and prayers with families and comrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

January wrote: »
    The person lifted from the water this morning has passed away. Rest in peace Dara

First casualty of Coast Guard helicopter crash named as Captain Dara Fitzpatrick http://jrnl.ie/3286936

She was one of the crew on the fly on the wall documentary Rescue 117 based in Waterford? She'll be well recognised outside the community too. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Aww no I was hoping when we didn't hear anything that there might have been some hope.. RIP Dara :(

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    She was one of the crew on the fly on the wall documentary Rescue 117 based in Waterford? She'll be well recognised outside the community too. RIP.

One of the great personalities from that programme, fantastic story of pursuing a career as a pilot. Embodiment of the professionalism, courage and compassion of all the ICG helo crews.

Very sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

This is terrible. RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Met and spoke with her a few times in work. Seemed to be a very calm and composed person. RIP Dara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

emo72 wrote: »
    I'd hate to think they had gone out and were cutting their fuel supply close.

Was thinking the same, maybe the pilot might have though he could ditch on land rather than the sea, but didn't make it. It still wouldn't account in either sceaniro, that no comms where received from R116.

These guys are experts, highly trained and well experienced. The only thing that I imagine would bring down the aircraft would be catastrophic engine or gear box failure. But again lacks of comms for help. Very strange and an awful situation. I just hope that guy in hospital comes out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tragic, absolutely heartbroken here.

I am sitting in work, so was she. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yep, I'm from Waterford and have nothing but admiration for what she and her crew did. RIP. Sad sad day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

TallGlass wrote: »
    Was thinking the same, maybe the pilot might have though he could ditch on land rather than the sea, but didn't make it. It still wouldn't account in either sceaniro, that no comms where received from R116.

These guys are experts, highly trained and well experienced. The only thing that I imagine would bring down the aircraft would be catastrophic engine or gear box failure. But again lacks of comms for help. Very strange and an awful situation. I just hope that guy in hospital comes out of this.

If that would have happened would they have had any time to get a mayday call out or would they have been to occupied in trying to recover the aircraft even if it was just seconds they had.

adam88 wrote: »
    If that would have happened would they have had any time to get a mayday call out or would they have been to occupied in trying to recover the aircraft even if it was just seconds they had.

Its strange none of the beacons went off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

January wrote: »

Wow, she came across (well the whole crew did) as a great person when on RTE's documentary series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Jeez wept, this is beyond tragic. Heartbroken for all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is it always the same crew of 4?
    Or do they have a crew of other standby crew to select from?

The person in the hospital is confirmed dead. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I just saw a picture of her on the Indo website, and I'm sure I saw her on that documentary too. Poor poor woman and her crew. I'm very upset about the whole thing. Just doing their jobs in trying circumstances much of the time -saving lives. I know I couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

RIP Absolutely devastating news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Ah Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

adam88 wrote: »

Pilot could have suffered spatial disorientation or spatial orientation. The results are usually that the craft is flown into the sea. If it ran out of fuel pilots are taught to auto rotate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

RIP absolute hero's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I remember that documentary well, absolutely terrible terrible news! I have nothing but respect for anyone who puts their life at risk to help others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

True heros these people, selflessly putting themselves at risk in order to help others. I was on holidays in Clare last summer with the family and one of the local search and rescue helicopters were doing exercises in the area. When the crew saw the crowds of children emerging from the campsite we were staying in, they stopped what they were doing and bought all the kids over and gave a guided tour of the aircraft, along with loads of water safety tips, before doing a demonstration, hovering while winching up crew members. it was the highlight of the kids (and mine) holiday.

RIP to the pilot that has already lost her life and here's hoping the rest of the crew are recovered alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Awful news. Really tragic. Thoughts to all their family and friends.
    Captain Fitzpatrick was on a few documentaries with RTE (they're on YouTube is anyone wants to watch) , came across as a really nice woman. As did all the crew. Very very sad loss. RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

not quoting your post

But this is not the time for speculation.

I remember her from the documentary, the thread is on the site here about 6 years back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67932705

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just heard. Gutted. Met her and she was lovely, always gave time to show people the aircraft. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its strange none of the beacons went off.

Awful news about the pilot.

Only other thing that would account for total system loss would be a power failure/loss of systems or small fire.

All very mysterious, I feel for the guys today in the ICG, awful event. They must be thinking the same as us, as to what caused it. I suppose it also puts training into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

not quoting your post

But this is not the time for speculation.

I remember her from the documentary, the thread is on the site here about 6 years back.

We will wait so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Shocking news.

They head into harms way so others may live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irishgeo wrote: »
    The past flight track on marine traffic doesn't show a stop in Blacksod.

Indeed, the tracking on marine traffic shows it flew straight to the area, westwards, and then turned back for Blacksod.

Go n-éiri an bóthar leat Captain Dara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Very sad news. RIP. Condolences to the families and friends of all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

crashplan wrote: »
    Shocking news.

They head into harms way so others may live.

They are genuine heroes.

RIP Captain Dara Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

vicwatson wrote: »
    Indeed, the tracking on marine traffic shows it flew straight to the area, westwards, and then turned back for Blacksod.

Go n-éiri an bóthar leat Captain Dara

Very saddened to hear of the loss of the aircraft and Captain Fitzpatrick. An awful tragedy.

Radar cloud breaks are a common procedure for helicopters which transition from IFR to VFR. They will head out to sea where there are no known obstacles and set a constant rate of descent until they break the cloud layer and can continue VFR.

While I cannot be sure that this is the case, it is a consideration. The altitude that they cruised at from Dublin would be a good indication. Would explain the initial outbound turn before turning and descending toward black sod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A bitter sweet vid with Dara from a good few years ago which was posted in the Rescue 117 thread at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

this is just awful, my heart goes out to their poor families, these are the true heros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Wreckage from coast guard helicopter brought to shore

http://www.thejournal.ie/rescue-116-wreckage-3287178-Mar2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Go Mairidis Beo

Is the Norwegian fish transporter in the search area helping or passing through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Statement from the family of Capt Dara Fitzpatrick.

A true heroine that the country owes a debt of gratitude towards. RIP

https://twitter.com/todayfmnews/status/841677672094846976

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement