Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Here we go. Listing films. This will kill some more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Add that Carey Mulligan movie to the Freebie list as he got an advance copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have noticed recently how much he stumbles over pieces he reads out, didn't notice it before.

I think it is proof that these newspaper articles he is seeing for the 1st time. If he was a proper radio host, he would have already read them in prep for the show. We are always told he works more than 1 hr each day, as there is a few hours prep before each show.

D’Arcy doing the sound today on Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Praising the tabloids again. Duffy was at that yesterday as well.

Strange.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have noticed recently how much he stumbles over pieces he reads out, didn't notice it before.

I think it is proof that these newspaper articles he is seeing for the 1st time. If he was a proper radio host, he would have already read them in prep for the show. We are always told he works more than 1 he each day, as there is a few hours prep before each show.

He pops on for the low cost breakfast in the canteen maybe but clearly does zero prep .

The pioneer broadcasters actually genuinely did research; however it seems they paved the smooth path for roller-skaters like Tubridy who ride unfettered by any effort they might have had to put in to folks g their father pay cheques.

I think it is proof that these newspaper articles he is seeing for the 1st time. If he was a proper radio host, he would have already read them in prep for the show. We are always told he works more than 1 he each day, as there is a few hours prep before each show.

I don't know why he says he picks up the tabloids in the morning then. Does he get them and when he arrives in the offices hands them off to the producers who extract the waffle for him while he goes through the freebies / gets breakfast etc

sligojoek wrote: »

Strange.

Not at all - NK’s buddies. Have to keep them inside.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I don't know why he says he picks up the tabloids in the morning then. Does he get them and when he arrives in the offices hands them off to the producers who extract the waffle for him while he goes through the freebies / gets breakfast etc

No. He gets them for his mother and drops them in to her on his way. He does not pay for the paper he reads from. We pay for those.

• Advertisement

I thought our Ryan was too high brow to even consider opening a tabloid.

I thought our Ryan was too high brow to even consider opening a tabloid.

The expensive education was above his capacity to put in the effort of actually learning.

I’m out. That intake of waffle should unblock the bowels sufficiently for the day.

I think Dee Forbes must actually be trying to appeal to the laziest thinkers in the land by putting one such in charge of hosting this show.

The dig at Kong vs gorilla says a lot about the man. So needy to appear intellectual and look down on what he thinks isn't high brow. Kind of sad in a way. You could say Truman in the Truman show had a nice easy life but at the same time it wasn't right to be imprisoned in a fake world. I think ryan is imprisoned in a way. He was born grew up and lived his whole life in the same area with the same people and working in the same place, no real external interactions outside of that bubble. Pure fakeness and insincerity is all he knows.

My late mother would have made a great court sketcher, had the ability of capturing people's likeness in short order.

Ryan just called a mural a Muriel, and it was a slip of the tongue before he corrected himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Ad break ... Music.. RTE in Dire Straits
    Should have played Money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Great interview with the sketcher.
    Did you sketch anyone evil. .don't mention any names.
    Did you sketch anyone sad. . again don't mention any names. 400000+ well worth it. And he got a free sketch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

"the nightmare trump years" he's some tulip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

(20th April)

Discussion started on the word 'languishing' sparked by an article in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/well/mind/covid-mental-health-languishing.html

Some said the word 'ennui' was better. Ryan mentioned the Irish word ‘cuibheasach’ meaning middling.

A contributor to the show pointed out that it was pseudo-science guff. And the word fine suffices. And I would agree. However, I thought the word I would use is a bit longer ‘the Leinster Football Championship’ (the draw was made today if you follow it you know what I mean.)

Interview Michael O’Donnellan sketching in court (a Kerryman from Tralee). Father was an amateur artist. The rules banned image taking by photo in the courts in the 20’s.

The history of courtroom sketching in the USA is as follows similar reasoning to Irish law

https://discover.hubpages.com/education/Why-Do-Courts-Use-Courtroom-Sketch-Artists

He pointed out the hardened criminal is more relaxed and at ease. And once he gets the eyes right the rest of it falls into place. If he does not get the eyes right he finds he is in trouble.

There was a Roy Orbison song played and one by the Black Keys (I got a love that keeps me waiting)

I thought it was a good auld show nice pacing. Made sound deceptively easy in my opinion. Kept nice and breezy and cheery where possible. No harm in in that I think.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The dig at Kong vs gorilla says a lot about the man. So needy to appear intellectual and look down on what he thinks isn't high brow. Kind of sad in a way. You could say Truman in the Truman show had a nice easy life but at the same time it wasn't right to be imprisoned in a fake world. I think ryan is imprisoned in a way. He was born grew up and lived his whole life in the same area with the same people and working in the same place, no real external interactions outside of that bubble. Pure fakeness and insincerity is all he knows.

I've said this often, he looks down on the celeb culture, certain films and music and books, if they aren't intellectual enough.

But you can guarantee if any of these folk were to appear on the LLS or his radio show they would be great and amazing.

He'd never have the balls to say "your films aren't really my stuff".

I can bet you now, if the stars of a rubbish Hollywood film agreed to be on the LLS he'd fall over himself to have them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It’s where RTÉ staff and contractors live.

They don’t live there they just own all the buildings and form the residents committee , the buildings are managed too so no need to even go there

Add that Carey Mulligan movie to the Freebie list as he got an advance copy.

That’s a really good movie, I bet he’ll watch it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭littlevillage

sligojoek wrote: »

Strange.

Clearly advertising $$$$ in the offing.

Promising young woman is a good movie:)

His degree in Greek Roman civilisation stinks of just wanting to walk to college :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

I always think that. I don't think he has any real life experience so everything he listens to or watches or hears is always second-hand, and that's the core of the problem. And he's not the only one.

Has there been w but of a pause in the freebies in recent days? I only half follow it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I didn't catch today's show and I'm confused about the Carey Mulligan film. He was talking about it a few weeks back and said he didn't like Mulligan because if some of the film's "She been in and some of the film's she hasn't".

I am not sure how anyone can not like someone for a film they appeared in.

I am also pretty sure he said he didn't like it. Has he watch it agaon and changed his mind.

Advertisement