Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes beaten Vick, Barboza and Cowboy since losing two in a row. Hardly a big endorsement. The UFC clearly giving him a push though.
    Probably cos he likes to swang and bang, instead of utilising his exceptionally good wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Probably cos he likes to swang and bang, instead of utilising his exceptionally good wrestling.

Yeah. Will be interesting to see if he fights smarter from now on.

McGregor would batter Gaethje. Khabib may have stacked his record against plumbers and plasterers but at least he has wins over McGregor, Dos Anjos and Poirier. Gaethje has lost to the two half decent fighters he has fought. Wins over Barboza, Johnson, James Vick...

McGregor would have more taxing sparring sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah. Will be interesting to see if he fights smarter from now on.
    He won't

Guy has some brilliant tools and still fights like a zombie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

D'Agger wrote: »
    He won't

Guy has some brilliant tools and still fights like a zombie
    He's shown a bit more intelligence in his last few fights, instead of rushing in head first, so he shows signs of being able to change his style up a bit so he doesn't end up braindead by his mid thirties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Hes beaten Vick, Barboza and Cowboy since losing two in a row. Hardly a big endorsement. The UFC clearly giving him a push though.

He annihilated the three of them. How are they giving him a push? He's earned it. His losses were in absolute wars too. One against a former lightweight champion, one against a future interim lightweight champion.

Why is McGregor battering Cerrone, albeit more quickly, noteworthy and Gaethje doing the same not?

It'll not happen but McGregor-Gaethje would be an unreal fight and he'd be a worthy opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Why is McGregor battering Cerrone, albeit more quickly, noteworthy and Gaethje doing the same not?

I don't think that
    It'll not happen but McGregor-Gaethje would be an unreal fight and he'd be a worthy opponent.

Agree

He annihilated the three of them. How are they giving him a push?

Because hes a personality who sells fights and he was given three easy fights to get back on track. Smart from Dana.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's shown a bit more intelligence in his last few fights, instead of rushing in head first, so he shows signs of being able to change his style up a bit so he doesn't end up braindead by his mid thirties.
    I still think if he gets cracked then he'll revert to type and try swing his way out of it - which to be fair, has worked for him plenty but I'd hope you're right because he has plenty of tools available to him as a fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think McGregor would butcher Gaejthe to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Gaejthe fight won't happen so all immaterial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gaejthe style is perfect for a guy like Conor,
    Conor would ko him early .

Everyone always talks about his wrestling but iv never seen it is it good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I think Conor would walk through Gaejthe. Would be very interesting to see how Catholic Conor copes when Gaejthe isn't holding back in the pressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gaejthe style is perfect for a guy like Conor,
    Conor would ko him early .

Everyone always talks about his wrestling but iv never seen it is it good ?

NCAA Division 1 All-American

Which means he was among the top few wrestlers in the top division, of the top league. Very high stsndard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mellor wrote: »
    NCAA Division 1 All-American

Which means he was among the top few wrestlers in the top division, of the top league. Very high stsndard

Gaethje was asked about it, and he said he wasn't the best offensively, but he was always very hard to take down. If that's true it makes him a bad match up for khabib.

derfderf wrote: »
    Gaethje was asked about it, and he said he wasn't the best offensively, but he was always very hard to take down. If that's true it makes him a bad match up for khabib.
    Plus the general consensus is that freestyle has better takedowns and folkstyle has better escapes and mat wrestling.

Guys like Askren and Gaethje are always saying that the “funky”” nature of folkstyle compared to freestyle would give Khabib the biggest issues. I’d love to see it tested tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

McGregor is the worst possible matchup for gathje, it wouldn't last a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    McGregor is the worst possible matchup for gathje, it wouldn't last a minute

The first few times i saw Gaethje fight i thought Conor would give him brain damage if they fought. He's gotten a bit craftier lately, but i still think he gets messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Doff wrote: »
    I think Conor would walk through Gaejthe. Would be very interesting to see how Catholic Conor copes when Gaejthe isn't holding back in the pressers.

Conor changes for each fight but in the end apart from Khabib there was always respect after, even after Aldo he went over to him and had a word with him. Gaejthe can talk smack but Conor will destroy him on that line, suits Conor either way. By being all nice and stuff with Cerrone then absolutely destroying him showed it didn't matter wary Conor does the presser his in Octagon IQ and class is always there. It's just a smokescreen 99% of the time. What's exciting about Conor is he's evolving knowing that the bigger guys can take the punches more so switching up his arsenal that fighters don't realise he has or most ppl don't, shoulder strikes case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Conor changes for each fight but in the end apart from Khabib there was always respect after, even after Aldo he went over to him and had a word with him. Gaejthe can talk smack but Conor will destroy him on that line, suits Conor either way. By being all nice and stuff with Cerrone then absolutely destroying him showed it didn't matter wary Conor does the presser his in Octagon IQ and class is always there. It's just a smokescreen 99% of the time. What's exciting about Conor is he's evolving knowing that the bigger guys can take the punches more so switching up his arsenal that fighters don't realise he has or most ppl don't, shoulder strikes case in point.

Do you think if khabib hadn’t gone postal after the fight Conor would have offered his hand like every other time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Do you think if khabib hadn’t gone postal after the fight Conor would have offered his hand like every other time?

We'll never know but I doubt it, this one was absolutely personal. I think he would of recognised that Khabib was the better fighter on the night and would still want a rematch as he learns from defeats aswell as wins. They will need a ring of steel police wise for the rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cowboy saying he got flat pay which is probably about as true as McGregor claims he got 80m.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

rob316 wrote: »
    Cowboy saying he got flat pay which is probably about as true as McGregor claims he got 80m.

Is there any after fight interviews with Cerrone? (not the cage interview) ...haven't seen anything crop up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Maybe he’s expecting a visit from the IRS. Seriously though, strange comment to make if not true. He also said his nose and orbital bone were not broken and the UFC shouldn’t be saying otherwise. Lots of misinformation out there.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is there any after fight interviews with Cerrone? (not the cage interview) ...haven't seen anything crop up

Haven’t seen anything either. Would like to hear his thoughts on the fight now, after having time to reflect. He’s keeping pretty quiet.

Why is it unbelievable that he’s got a flat payout?
    A flat bonus doesn’t mean no bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Mellor wrote: »
    Why is it unbelievable that he’s got a flat payout?
    A flat bonus doesn’t mean no bonus.

He said 'I didn't get PPV money.'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

His disclosed pay is 200k I refuse to believe he fought McGregor for that. He had to have gotten at least 7 figures.

Still Ill wrote: »
    He said 'I didn't get PPV money.'
    Not getting PPV points doesn’t mean he didn’t get any bonus.
    I seen the quote from Cowboy. He said he got flat money. And people online are interpreting that as he only got his $200k purse. Which is a bit of a leap.
    His purse wasn’t flat. It was 200/200k. So the “flat money” was likely a fixed bonus, rather than an increasing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

Also couldn't the UFC have said we'll give you 200K (plus possible bonus) to fight McGregor, and we'll give you a new contract with excellent rates for your next few fights...if you take the McGregor fight.

Why wouldn't Cowboy take that? It's guaranteed decent money in the bank no matter how good/bad he performs in his next few.

• Advertisement

He did say he signed a new multi fight deal for this fight on improved terms. Was surprised to see €200k. I hope he got something extra undisclosed.

Advertisement