Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There is but Buncrana should have enough to do both. Know some great Gaels from that area and they would love to sit at the top table in Donegal football but they just never seem to reach it. Gweedore are probably an example of a parish that have both

I would love to see them up at the top table as well as it would raise the GAA profile on the peninsula.

Gweedore are handling both codes well, but the soccer tradition may run deeper in Inishowen and there may not be the give and take between the two codes there is in Gweedore

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Well done Buncrana great to see them winning a championship the amalgamation of the colleges seems to have benefited football in Inishowen
    It pains me to say but soccer is doing a better job at marketing their product at underage level by calling their all county competition has the champions league numerous development , county squads with the carrot being to get playing in foyle cup etc .
    Keep the flag flying in Inishowen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Buncrana get it done.

Cloich Cheann Fhaola come up short, the schedule was against them. Was it a big surprise that St Nauls won? They have been there before and were fairly competitive in Division 2 iirc.

In fairness Naul's have some decent players. Mulready is solid in goal, McCole was powerful at full back. The final free Griffin kicked was sheer quality from wide on the right just inside the 45. Their wing forward was also an excellent player but the real touch of class in their side is Peadar Mogan. He is going to be some player.
    From a Cloughaneely perspective there can be no doubt but the crazy scheduling played a part. They were two points up with about ten minutes to go but were overrun in the final stages. They also missed a glorious goal opportunity when it looked easier to score. You could see how much it meant to them but they never got to grips with the game around the middle third. Nauls kept their restarts away from Jason McGee and Cloughaneely could never hit him with any consistency.
    There is one other issue that is worth raising. Cloughaneely had retired the number 2 jersey for the season for obvious reasons. In the match programme the Nauls no 2 was named in the Cloughaneely side in the 2 jersey. In light of the circumstances involved I thought it was a shocking and insulting oversight by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Buncrana get it done.

Cloich Cheann Fhaola come up short, the schedule was against them. Was it a big surprise that St Nauls won? They have been there before and were fairly competitive in Division 2 iirc.

Nauls were favourite with the bookies in advance . I would put that down to Cloughaneely's schedule more than anything. It seems they simply ran out of steam in the last few minutes.

I wouldn't expect Nauls to stay up next year whereas Cloughaneely probably would have.

The intermediate is a very strange championship. Should get more attention than it does as it is very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Clochaneeley simply ran out of steam, 4 and half matches in 13 days proved too much for them in the end. They scored 3-45 and conceded 3-45 with each game decided in injury time. A ridiculous bit of scheduling from the county board. A tough year for the club and parish but no doubt they will be back. Congrats to St Nauls and Barry Meehan. St Eunans could do a lot worse than give that man the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Murt15 wrote: »
    Clochaneeley simply ran out of steam, 4 and half matches in 13 days proved too much for them in the end. They scored 3-45 and conceded 3-45 with each game decided in injury time. A ridiculous bit of scheduling from the county board. A tough year for the club and parish but no doubt they will be back. Congrats to St Nauls and Barry Meehan. St Eunans could do a lot worse than give that man the job.

Well said Murt it was a tough ask for Cloughaneely
    On Barry Meehan didn’t he manage St Eunans in the past can not understand how with all there underage success Eunans have failed to appoint a manager internally

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Well said Murt it was a tough ask for Cloughaneely
    On Barry Meehan didn’t he manage St Eunans in the past can not understand how with all there underage success Eunans have failed to appoint a manager internally

Have to spend all that money somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Have to spend all that money somehow.

Shots fired**

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aaron2952

Like Rory's approach to the game you are extremely predictable, have no variety, boring and clearly lacking a plan b.

You are probably right. But I think those comparisons would be more in line with Jim's performance in soccer so far.

aaron2952 wrote: »
    You are probably right. But I think those comparisons would be more in line with Jim's performance in soccer so far.

The title of this thread, if you haven`t noticed is, Donegal GAA Discussion.
    If you wish to make comparisons between Jim Mcuinness reign as a Donegal County GAA manager and that of the present Derry County GAA manager`s reign with Donegal then you are in the right place.

Giving you the benefit of doubt, perhaps you inadvertently posted here believing this was the thread (if such exists but i have been unable to locate) where comparisons are made between Jim Mc Guinness and the current Derry GAA manager`s tactical soccer nous.

If so then you are in the wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭overshoot

Fair play if you predicted Jim going to china then onto America!

I like this lad. I hope he hangs around. When we lose another league match in Letterkenny next spring he will be a reminder of how lucky we really are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Well done Buncrana great to see them winning a championship the amalgamation of the colleges seems to have benefited football in Inishowen
    It pains me to say but soccer is doing a better job at marketing their product at underage level by calling their all county competition has the champions league numerous development , county squads with the carrot being to get playing in foyle cup etc .
    Keep the flag flying in Inishowen

I would disagree slightly with this. If that amalgamation was helping then surely they shouldn’t be in the Junior Championship?

Noting much to write home about yesterday. I enjoyed it all the same. Naomh Conaill dug deep and while they had the final 2 efforts they were potshots from bad areas.

Thought Anthony Thompson was excellent and Glenties showed serious fight generally. Big of a dampener that Kieran Gillespie is injured again though.

Noting much to write home about yesterday. I enjoyed it all the same. Naomh Conaill dug deep and while they had the final 2 efforts they were potshots from bad areas.

Thought Anthony Thompson was excellent and Glenties showed serious fight generally. Big of a dampener that Kieran Gillespie is injured again though.

Rumours about Gillespie are not good. Also rumours floating around about another county player going travelling next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭doc_17

That was horrific stuff yesterday. Brutal. Septic.

Rumours about Gillespie are not good. Also rumours floating around about another county player going travelling next year.

A certain left footed corner forward by any chance?

A certain left footed corner forward by any chance?

Hopefully all nonsense.
    I hear though that one of our injury prone young players is facing hip surgery. The number of hip injuries in the game nowadays is surely cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

Was that Gillespie that got injured just before half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Sad to hear about Gillespie. Seems he is cursed.

Didn't see the game. But, Kilcar game aside, seems Gaoth Dobhair not at the same level as last year.

As for left footed corner forwards going travelling, I assume that would be Paddy which would suck balls.

• Advertisement

Serious knee injury confirmed for Gillespie. The poor lad is haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Anyone know if the game is being televised today?

Also is the game ticketed or just pay at the gate?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Its not on tg4 anyway thank god

Also is the game ticketed or just pay at the gate?

Pay at the gate.

No live or deferred coverage, TG4 might have some footage on Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

wazzer1 wrote: »
    Its not on tg4 anyway thank god

Why are you so thankful that its not being shown on tg4?

Very disappointing that there's no coverage available anywhere, Donegal GAA Twitter gives the following reason

A chairde - in response to all the inquiries the County final today between
    @gaothdobhairclg
    and
    @NaomhConaillGAA
    is not being streamed. The Broadcasting Agreement with TG4 and RTE does not permit
    @officialdonegal
    to stream when they are showing live matches. Apologies.

Why are you so thankful that its not being shown on tg4?

Very disappointing that there's no coverage available anywhere, Donegal GAA Twitter gives the following reason

A chairde - in response to all the inquiries the County final today between
    @gaothdobhairclg
    and
    @NaomhConaillGAA
    is not being streamed. The Broadcasting Agreement with TG4 and RTE does not permit
    @officialdonegal
    to stream when they are showing live matches. Apologies.

Not great coverage but Donegal GAA Results on twitter is giving updates

Martin McHugh doing the commentary on Highland with Kilcoyne playing the McHugh role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Martin McHugh doing the commentary on Highland with Kilcoyne playing the McHugh role.
    Better commentator than co-commentator or analyst. Not saying much though. What happened the normal guy oisin.

Replay Wednesday night and the winners out next Sunday against Cavan champions in Cavan,
    Crazy stuff

• Advertisement

Better commentator than co-commentator or analyst. Not saying much though. What happened the normal guy oisin.

Oisín still around, busy today, Hilferty with the Termon ladies.

Advertisement