Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are British people better at doing than Irish people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Using Escalators.
    They understand the concept that some people might be in a hurry when using them, so those not in a hurry stand to the right leaving space for people to pass on the left.

It's mostly foreigners living in England these days. So they must have brought those good manners from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

The welfare state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Achebe wrote: »
    The welfare state.

Nah- experts at it here. Like for like social welfare payment is about 2.5 times the UK rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It's mostly foreigners living in England these days. So they must have brought those good manners from abroad.

The practice dates back to around 1920 when escalators were first being installed in the underground network. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,472 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Working with the English they tend to make mountains out of molehills and will go and on about the task or outcome ad nauseum. We tend to just get the fcuk on with things and deal with whatever arises.
    Some of them have this rather annoying childlike way of going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Construction and Engineering, we are not in the same league or in the same game in fact.

Hogwash,

Half of Ireland is over there running multi million pound projects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The practice dates back to around 1920 when escalators were first being installed in the underground network. ;)

I'm retracting my assertion that it is good manners to let others pass on the escalators. It is more efficient in moving the generality of passengers quicker to have standing on both sides. This should appeal to the unselfish nature of the British, always ready to sacrifice their own convenience for the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BDI wrote: »
    Hogwash,

Half of Ireland is over there running multi million pound projects.
    I think he means in a historical sense.

Some of the greatest engineers of all time came from Britain. I couldn't imagine a world without all their innovations and inventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think he means in a historical sense.

Some of the greatest engineers of all time came from Britain. I couldn't imagine a world without all their innovations and inventions.

Hypodermic needle, submarine, guided torpedo, tank, ejector seat, binaural stethoscope, cures for cholera and leprosy, column still, portable defibrillator, transatlantic telegraph, radiotherapy, nickel-zinc battery, modern tractor, ... all Irish inventions, and much more. For a small country we've contributed a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MoashoaM

Hypodermic needle, submarine, guided torpedo, tank, ejector seat, binaural stethoscope, cures for cholera and leprosy, column still, portable defibrillator, transatlantic telegraph, radiotherapy, nickel-zinc battery, modern tractor, ... all Irish inventions, and much more. For a small country we've contributed a lot.

The hypodermic needle wasn't invented by an Irishman. No one person gets that credit. Neither was radiotherapy or the submarine. The transatlantic telegraph is neat, but telegraph itself was the real achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MoashoaM wrote: »
    The hypodermic needle wasn't invented by an Irishman. No one person gets that credit. Neither was radiotherapy or the submarine. The transatlantic telegraph is neat, but telegraph itself was the real achievement.
    The first transatlantic cable was layed from Ireland but it was a British operation. Charles Blight was the chief engineer on the project.

It was actually partly layed from the SS Great Eastern, an Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed ship. Probably the most famous British engineer in history.

Using Escalators.
    They understand the concept that some people might be in a hurry when using them, so those not in a hurry stand to the right leaving space for people to pass on the left.
    No they're not. At peak times on the tube time and motion studies have shown that that is less efficient overall it just feels faster. People standing on both sides moves more people overall clearing the numbers from the platform.
    Walking on the right feels faster but has probably cost you time as you were waiting longer to get onto the escalator itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

MoashoaM wrote: »
    The hypodermic syringe was invented by Irish doctor Samuel Rynd in the 1840s.
    He used it to make the first recorded subcutaneous injections in 1844 and later documented his pioneering treatment for the Dublin Medical Press.

While there were earlier cruder submarines, John Phillip Holland is recognised as the inventor of the modern submarine. This was the first submarine having power to run submerged for any considerable distance, and the first to combine electric motors for submerged travel and gasoline engines for use on the surface. Holland has over 20 related patents to his name.

Medicine's first attempts at using radioactivity to kill cancer, devised shortly after radioactivity was discovered in 1896, were crude. Doctors placed tiny pieces of radium in and around the tumours, a hit-and-miss approach that rarely worked.

Instead of using radium, Joly thought of collecting the radioactive radon gas (or "emanation") it gave off, then injecting it into tumours. This was more effective, because the radon could percolate throughout the tumour and the dose could be controlled. It was also safer for both doctor and patient, and cheaper, as the original radium source could be used repeatedly.

Joly developed his ideas with Walter Clegg Stevenson, a cancer expert at Dr Steevens' Hospital in Dublin, beginning in 1903. By 1914, they had perfected the Dublin method, which formed the basis for the modern radium needle treatment.

Laying a transatlantic cable was 'neat' - I'd rate it a major engineering feat and also a major contributor to transatlantic communications and trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Climbing ranks in society, In Britain you can leave school with no qualifications and make a good crack of a career from starting at the bottom that pays well and rises through the ranks. In Ireland we are so hung up on leaving cert achievement its almost a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From my experiences in England people in general are more direct and fortcoming. They speak to you if they've an issue, they don't bitch behind your back and be as sweet as pie to your face like the Irish.

Absolutely, in my last job I found this.

It can be a bit of a shock to the system initially but I appreciated that you always knew where you stood with them. And too I found they appreciated the same in return.

Here in the office it was political chess at every second of the day and it used to have me worn out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Keeping their spuds to themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Speaking in front of cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

Spelling Derry correctly with 11 letters

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

Fish n chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Their politicians are much much better speakers than our lot.
    They have superior state occasions eg funerals, commerations.
    They esp the English play better football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Wife swapping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

From my experiences in England people in general are more direct and fortcoming. They speak to you if they've an issue, they don't bitch behind your back and be as sweet as pie to your face like the Irish.
    Having worked for British owned companies with mostly British people for the past several years I think that's nonsense to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Preserving their culture and heritage.
    In Ireland we have torn up our Georgian squares, we had a tram network from dalkey to howth we ripped up in the the 1960s, our satreets are full charity shops, 2 euro shops, mobile phone unlocking and cash for gold.
    Ireland doesn't care about heritage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

No they're not. At peak times on the tube time and motion studies have shown that that is less efficient overall it just feels faster. People standing on both sides moves more people overall clearing the numbers from the platform.
    Walking on the right feels faster but has probably cost you time as you were waiting longer to get onto the escalator itself.

But that study only refers to peak times at the tube stations which is where that study was commissioned for..
    I'm referring to the every other time courtesy of staying to the side allowing others to pass if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I once met Enda Kenny in Liffey Valley shopping centre when he was Taoiseach and he was out canvassing for a referendum vote.
    Told him to his face he was doing a **** job and needed to think about the people going out to work everyday.

Thankfully that's all sorted now with our new Taoiseach and his best friend Michael from Cork.

What are the brits better at than us "democracy" we just just shuffle the same faces around.

I forgot to mention "the tube" the only way Dublin traffic be solved is underground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Controlling their dogs

Racism. I hope no racists are offended by this, but there's something very inauthentic about Irish racists. The Brits (mainly the English) have it nailed though. Proper ugly racism, not the half-arsed pale imitation that you see here.

If you class sectarianism as a form of racism, the Scots are a hundred times worse, the wrong kind of Scot will almost spontaneously combust if in the presence of an Irish Catholic

Didn't believe it until I experienced it myself, it's visceral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

PeteEd wrote: »
    Spelling Derry correctly with 11 letters

Nah, 8 r's in Derrrrrrrry just looks silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Philosophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

They've better universities.

- Even if with Brexit there is a wind of change in this domain (some say Germany would be no 1 at EU level), think none of their top universities would drop 44 places in the world university ranking any time soon.

Bitter about that, tbh, hopefully the future government would address something on this subject !

• Advertisement

In Ireland we have torn up our Georgian squares, we had a tram network from dalkey to howth we ripped up in the the 1960s, our satreets are full charity shops, 2 euro shops, mobile phone unlocking and cash for gold.
    You could just as easily be describing British regional towns or cities once away from tourist centres. Except in some well know examples like Blackpool the UK ripped up it's tram lines too.

They do preserve things but sometimes it is too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

mvl wrote: »
    They've better universities.

- Even if with Brexit there is a wind of change in this domain (some say Germany would be no 1 at EU level), think none of their top universities would drop 44 places in the world university ranking any time soon.

Bitter about that, tbh, hopefully the future government would address something on this subject !

That's because their universities won't accept chancers like Ibrahim Halawa with free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bombing Civilians? Don't get me wrong some Irish gave it a good go but the Brits really know how to do a good bombing.

Don't forget the Germans too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Britain does animal welfare better, and organisations with the power to charge people with animal neglect. The RSPCA's powers is what animal welfare in Ireland could do with.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Morris Dancing

Britain do animal welfare better, and organisations with the power to charge people with animal neglect. The RSPCA's powers is what animal welfare in Ireland could do with.

They do anything related to pets better, a dog warden is the most useless position anyone can have in Ireland, they do absolutely nothing

Driving.

Parking cars.

Fixing roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Colonising.
    And looking dashing while doing it

143a5972252860384b0862efa275369e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Stark wrote: »
    Those were "polite, peaceful" protests!

Apparently it was kidnapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Colonising.
    Having an issue when the people they colonise come to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ElectronVolt

krissovo wrote: »
    Climbing ranks in society, In Britain you can leave school with no qualifications and make a good crack of a career from starting at the bottom that pays well and rises through the ranks. In Ireland we are so hung up on leaving cert achievement its almost a joke.

Oddly enough, the statistics don't support that and, interestingly, both Ireland and the UK are dramatically more socially mobile than the USA, despite the perception. The current batch of Tories may well bring about a more American style mess though, by pulling out long established social supports.

One thing you'll always find is emigrants, to almost any country, have an opportunity to somewhat reinvent themselves. Even moving city within a country can give that sense of freedom.

In Ireland in general I've found people willing to take on all sorts of things without serious qualifications and work their way up. I hear these kinds of comments from French people who've moved here specifically to get their first job and some experience under their belt because they feel they're being caught with overly bureaucratic recruitment at home.

I'd also say that in Ireland, not one employer has ever asked to see my degree or leaving cert other than one multinational who demanded transcripts, but that was an American bureaucratic system, not an Irish one.

Have you been to Birmingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Bombing Civilians? Don't get me wrong some Irish gave it a good go but the Brits really know how to do a good bombing.

They have better technology to do it with.

Blahfool wrote: »
    Queuing

I think we match them for queuing.The first time I got a bus somewhere in France it was a bit of culture shock as everyone waiting was just milling around the bus stop in no discernible order. I was wondering how the priority would work, and supposed that when the bus came everyone would organise themselves into the order in which they arrived. In my defence, I was only 17.

Of course, when the bus arrived there was a big rush to clump around the door, and the fastest got to board first. Among the fastest was not the Irish guy who was still hanging back to see how it would all sort itself out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Public transport for sure
    Most definitely British accents too

• Advertisement

Parliamentary speaking and debating...if you pretend the last few weeks didn't happen. But generally, their MPs and ministers speak more eloquently, more clearly, and spend more time looking at the people they're addressing. Irish TDs and ministers seem to be incapable of delivering a Dail speech without having their head buried in the script. It's like a flashback to school when you had to endure listening to a long reading from a textbook by one of the guys who wasn't very good at reading.

faceman wrote: »
    Public transport for sure

Definitely. I remember hearing moans about London buses and the London Underground when I lived there and thinking to myself "These people don't know they're alive.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

storker wrote: »
    I think we match them for queuing.The first time I got a bus somewhere in France it was a bit of culture shock as everyone waiting was just milling around the bus stop in no discernible order. I was wondering how the priority would work, and supposed that when the bus came everyone would organise themselves into the order in which they arrived. In my defence, I was only 17.

Of course, when the bus arrived there was a big rush to clump around the door, and the fastest got to board first. Among the fastest was not the Irish guy who was still hanging back to see how it would all sort itself out...

You have just described getting on a bus in Dublin :D

storker wrote: »
    Parliamentary speaking and debating...if you pretend the last few weeks didn't happen. But generally, their MPs and ministers speak more eloquently, more clearly, and spend more time looking at the people they're addressing. Irish TDs and ministers seem to be incapable of delivering a Dail speech without having their head buried in the script. It's like a flashback to school when you had to endure listening to a long reading from a textbook by one of the guys who wasn't very good at reading.

This a good one. They're infinitely better at delivery a speech from the head or heart and not 'ehhing' every second word.

TDs are like senior infants reading a scene from The Merchant of Venice.

You have just described getting on a bus in Dublin :D

To be fair, I find irish people tend to be pretty polite about queuing. Also Ryanair has us brainwashed into queueing up for all flights, even when we have assigned seats.

In general though, I think irish people have an outstanding ability to go into self criticism and pulling up negative stereotypes of themselves. To a degree English people can be similar but it's tempered by a dose of imperial arrogance when it goes too far. The balance tends to go one way or the other, depending on who you're talking to.

Also I don't buy the argument that English people are more direct. Some Northern English people can be fairly direct, but it's far from universal. I have has this discussion with American colleagues who interact with the UK and find they can be unbelievably indirect, often being polite to the point that nobody's sure what's been agreed. Also they can, just like us, be polite to your face and then either nasty behind your back or be extremely passive agresssive. Take the character played by John Le Muserier on Dad's Army, Sargent Wilson. He embodied that utterly polite but horrendously indirect and passive agressive thing.

There's that kind of Yorkshire straight taking stereotype like Norah Batty, but then Ireland has it to with the likes of stereotype of the Cork nun on Derry Girls, Sister Michael.

There are some differences and there's obviously very bad history between Ireland and England but they're massively outweighed by similarities.

Also if anyone gives me the trope that English politics is more forthright than our system : I would just point to the current Tories. They're literally unbelievable and also totally unable to be honest about what they're up to. It's all a game of trying to pull a fast one with spin.

The major differences I'd notice politically is that Ireland doesn't have the hangover of the class system and aristocracy and Irish politics, because of the design of the system (PR STV voting) tends to be about compromise and consensus building. The British approach tends to be more about power grabs. I wouldn't read that there's some deep cultural difference though - Ireland has has almost a century of proportional representation democracy, one of the only places in the world that can say that.

We also don't really have the clear left Vs right divide that still exists in UK politics, although I'm not convinced it still exists in the public - it's an industrial era politics of Labour vs Capital trying to function in a post industrial UK that's about a whole load of other things that don't fit neatly into those boxes and I think that's a huge part of the reason their politics has gone nuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement