Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Biden plans to announce a withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan by September 11 - the 20th anniversary of 9/11”

Thought he was a war monger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

“Biden plans to announce a withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan by September 11 - the 20th anniversary of 9/11”

Aprl 2017 - 3 months into the job under Trump the largest non nuclear weapon in the US arsenal was used on Afghanistan.

April 2021 - 3 months into the job Biden announces a full withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan.

For right wingers one of these men is hailed as "the peace president" and the other a "war monger". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good that Biden also wants to pull out of Afghanistan. It'll be a year later than first planned but at least it may happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,531 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    Good that Biden also wants to pull out of Afghanistan. It'll be a year later than first planned but at least it may happen.

given Biden wasn't in office at that time you will have to blame that on Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,151 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

given Biden wasn't in office at that time you will have to blame that on Trump.

And we still need to get to the bottom of why Obama wasn't in the Oval Office on 9/11. Sus.

Overheal wrote: »
    And we still need to get to the bottom of why Obama wasn't in the Oval Office on 9/11. Sus.

there are definitely unanswered questions there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,685 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

biko wrote: »

:pac: , what happened the last time ?

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/256576278818353152

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »

Because it's so simple and unilateral right

By May 2014 no agreement on the bilateral security agreement had been reached. Obama on a trip to Afghanistan in late May 2014 said he was about to make decisions on the transition and was in the country to meet with Afghanistan's leaders prior to making those decisions final.[155] On 27 May 2014, Obama announced that U.S. combat operations in Afghanistan would end in December 2014.[156][157] A residual force of 9,800 troops would remain in the country which includes a group of troops to train and advise Afghan security forces and a separate group of Special Operations forces to continue counterterrorism missions against remnants of al-Qaeda.[158][159] These forces would be halved by the end of 2015, and consolidated at Bagram Air Base and in Kabul. Obama also announced that all U.S. forces, with the exception of a "normal embassy presence," would be removed from Afghanistan by the end of 2016.[138] These remaining forces would be a regular armed forces assistance group, largely to handle military sales under the authority of the U.S. ambassador,[158] but also guard the US embassy, train Afghan forces and support counter-terrorism operations.[157] These troop will not exceed 1,000 troops, akin to the security presence that is currently as of May 2014 in Iraq.[159] The president's plans were subject to the approval of the incoming Afghan government and its willingness to sign the bilateral security agreement providing immunity for U.S. troops serving in the country, which outgoing president Karzai had refused to sign.[160][161][162] The U.S. post 2014 presence plans were welcomed by outgoing Afghanistan president Hamid Karzai saying that Afghanistan was ready to take responsibility for its own security and the move could pave the way for Taliban peace talks.[163] While Afghanistan military forces reacted to Obama's plans with skepticism arguing among other things that Afghan military's lack of air support and heavy artillery couldn't be overcome by 2016 or 2017 and NATO welcomed the announcement, U.S. politicians split along party lines to Obama's drawdown and post 2014 presence plans, Afghanistan lawmakers considered those plans a blow to Afghan morale and American think tanks questioned the post presence limitation to the end of 2016 pointing out to experience in Germany, Britain, Korea and Japan, where U.S. forces remain long after wars have ended but the need to support strong allies remains.[138][156][158][159]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Talk is cheap.

Speaking of cheap talk looks like Biden is just continuing what Trump did and is throwing kids in cages on the Mexican border.

Who'd have tunk it huh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Biden has made zero effort into fulfilling his election promise to end the forever wars in places like Syria. It's hilarious that Biden's administration includes many hawks from the Obama years who are eager to return to the policy that witnessed saint Obama bomb seven sovereign nations in 6 short years.

All this signals a return to business as usual where the state department and pentagon spearhead America's imperialist ambitions abroad.

The swamp is back in action.
    Talk is cheap.

Speaking of cheap talk looks like Biden is just continuing what Trump did and is throwing kids in cages on the Mexican border.

Who'd have tunk it huh.

This you?

Nice diversion BTW.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can live with a predominant pull out. I suspect that the date was more chosen for politicalthan practical reasons.

That said, not convinced a 100% withdrawal is the best idea. Afgh will still be prone to influence, from China, Russia, whoever. Would prefer that influence be from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I can live with a predominant pull out. I suspect that the date was more chosen for politicalthan practical reasons.

That said, not convinced a 100% withdrawal is the best idea. Afgh will still be prone to influence, from China, Russia, whoever. Would prefer that influence be from us.

Us? This is an Irish forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Seriously?

Kavanaugh and Barrett in particular were chosen for explicitly for their viewpoints on Abortion , Marriage and Gay rights in general.

And those viewpoints have absolutely nothing to do with the law.

They were, but if you look at their record so far they haven't been paying back the wing nuts who championed them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Us? This is an Irish forum.

Manic is American...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Manic is American...

Which would explain his keen level of interest in US politics.

His level of investment in the topic would be very weird for someone who wasnt American...

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

His level of investment in the topic would be very weird for someone who wasnt American...

It wouldn't be though... The US are a massive player in global politics and their policies have global reach. On top of that, plenty of Irish people have lots of family in the US. Eg most of my family are US born. Also, you post in this topic so that's pretty weird by your own logic.

Who cares? US politics is an interesting topic, much more interesting than Irish politics. And American foreign affairs can have a dramatic effect on a country like ours. If people find it interesting, just live and let live and let people enjoy what they are interested in?

Would you like to discuss any of Biden's policies or are you just going to keep posting about why you're so much smarter and superior than us because you are not as interested in US politics as some of us?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don’t know if it is fair to say I have a keen interest in US politics as much as I do in US policies and their creation. It is a subtle difference.

It wouldn't be though... The US are a massive player in global politics and their policies have global reach. On top of that, plenty of Irish people have lots of family in the US. Eg most of my family are US born. Also, you post in this topic so that's pretty weird by your own logic.

Investment is the word here.

I'm primarily interested in US politics for the effects it has on Ireland and Europe.

Irish people so heavily invested the partisan party politics of the US though. Bit odd in my view tbh, don't see many people on here getting excited about the party politics of Germany or France, which has a greater impact on us.

I'm primarily interested in US politics for the effects it has on Ireland and Europe.

Irish people so heavily invested the partisan party politics of the US though. Bit odd in my view tbh, don't see many people on here getting excited about the party politics of Germany or France, which has a greater impact on us.

Are you also annoyed by Irish people being heavily invested in British football?

If yes, could you point to your posts where you have proclaimed this annoyance?

If not, would you like to explain why this is different?

• Advertisement

Are you also annoyed by Irish people being heavily invested in British football?

I dont have access to the Soccer forum. :)

I dont have access to the Soccer forum. :)

So what is the answer to my first question?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I've seen this pattern before. Aristotle's boom-bust cycle begins again as he starts on his quest for the threadban hattrick:pac:

I've seen this pattern before. Aristotle's boom-bust cycle begins again as he starts on his quest for the threadban hattrick:pac:

Yep, it's called having a discussion.

Would you like to discuss any of Biden's policies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

To be fair, trying to have a genuine discussion with a Trump supporter would test the patience of Job

But you yourself are not so subtly pushing partisan nonsense that the American right are pushing. Eg the below post doesn't relate remotely to the US relationship to Europe or Ireland and is more an effort to take a jab at Biden... Why are you so invested?
    So I was watching the youbetube there and they said Biden hasnt held a press conference in 57 days, apparently the longest presidential gap in a 100 years. Must be too busy or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A rather odd and political date to use to withdraw troops from Afghanistan.

PR machine alive and kicking in the White House.

a politician engaging in PR? say it aint so.

Trumpists: Why isn't Biden pulling out of Afghanistan like he said he would? :mad:

*pulls out of Afghanistan*

Trumpists: yEaH bUt NoT ThAt DAte :mad:

Trumpists: Why isn't Biden pulling out of Afghanistan like he said he would? :mad:

*pulls out of Afghanistan*

Trumpists: yEaH bUt NoT ThAt DAte :mad:

People on these threads: bring everything back to Trump.

• Advertisement

what is odd about biden picking that date?

Trump brings everything back to Trump. Trump had already agreed to the withdrawal by May 1. September 11 is a delay

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973604904/trumps-deal-to-end-war-in-afghanistan-leaves-biden-with-a-terrible-situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well I think a previous President wanted a military parade for the 4th of July so I think I prefer this type of PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And people on the Trump thread brought everything back to Obama!

The next is always going to be contrasted with the previous.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And people on the Trump thread brought everything back to Obama!

The next is always going to be contrasted with the previous.

Ah but the Trump stuff is on another level.

Just looks a bit weird now at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ah but the Trump stuff is on another level.

Just looks a bit weird now at this stage.

You thought it was weird when he was being discussed on here while he was President.

What I think is weird is you constantly trying to get people to stop calling him out for how he performed either as a President or as an individual.

Do you believe that Biden pulling troops out of Afghanistan is a good thing or a bad thing?

If a good thing, why are you acting so negatively about it?

If he said he was pulling troops out next week you would probably still say "but why not this week?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,143 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Only in response to those who sat on their hands and said nothing while Trump did infinitely worse things.

It is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of those posters, who are not commenting in good faith.

But then again, nuance and context is lost on those that supported that buffoon for 4 years. He numbs the brain.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Do you believe that Biden pulling troops out of Afghanistan is a good thing or a bad thing?

If a good thing, why are you acting so negatively about it?

If he said he was pulling troops out next week you would probably still say "but why not this week?"

Because it's just the same tired old nonsense with the Trump supporters.

It's like that one that was around during the election who claimed to be pro-choice and pro-LGBT but would vote for Mike Pence over Kamala Harris because she's 'odious'.

• Advertisement

The Capitol Officer who shot and killed that insurrectionist woman with the backpack that climbed through the doorframe during the attack in January, will not face criminal charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The Capitol Officer who shot and killed that insurrectionist woman with the backpack that climbed through the doorframe during the attack in January, will not face criminal charges.

Seems fair. That was a crazy situation, there's not much he could have done that would have blamed him for TBH.

I can't fathom justification for a non lethal outcome there, mostly owing to the backpack and her behavior. If they had tried to detain her and that had been an explosive (who would have known at the time with what was going on?) well, obvious calamity would have ensued.

I can't fathom justification for a non lethal outcome there, mostly owing to the backpack and her behavior. If they had tried to detain her and that had been an explosive (who would have known at the time with what was going on?) well, obvious calamity would have ensued.

If the woman was black, do you think the cop would have been racist to shoot her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,578 ✭✭✭weisses

If the woman was black, do you think the cop have been racist to shoot her?

2loZ.gif

weisses wrote: »
    2loZ.gif

Trust me - headlines would read "WHITE cop shoots unarmed BLACK woman". And there would be BLM riots in the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

If the woman was black, do you think the cop would have been racist to shoot her?

What do you think?

duploelabs wrote: »
    What do you think?

Obviously not - but Overheal and others seem to think that any black person killed by the police means that the police are racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Exactly shoot first and ask questions later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Obviously not - but Overheal and others seem to think that any black person killed by the police means that the police are racist.

Can you cite the posts where they said this?

Exactly shoot first and ask questions later

Bit of an exaggeration there. They had given them chances, it wasn’t a surprise to the insurrectionists that they had guns drawn and it wasn’t a secret to anyone involved that “heads on pikes” etc. we’re the agenda of several there. Specifically to the woman, Gun drawn on her, warned to stay back, still crawled through a broken glass window with a backpack to charge at members of congress. Not like they just saw woman with backpack and smoked her

• Advertisement
Advertisement