Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can live with a predominant pull out. I suspect that the date was more chosen for politicalthan practical reasons.

That said, not convinced a 100% withdrawal is the best idea. Afgh will still be prone to influence, from China, Russia, whoever. Would prefer that influence be from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I can live with a predominant pull out. I suspect that the date was more chosen for politicalthan practical reasons.

That said, not convinced a 100% withdrawal is the best idea. Afgh will still be prone to influence, from China, Russia, whoever. Would prefer that influence be from us.

Us? This is an Irish forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Seriously?

Kavanaugh and Barrett in particular were chosen for explicitly for their viewpoints on Abortion , Marriage and Gay rights in general.

And those viewpoints have absolutely nothing to do with the law.

They were, but if you look at their record so far they haven't been paying back the wing nuts who championed them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Us? This is an Irish forum.

Manic is American...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Manic is American...

Which would explain his keen level of interest in US politics.

His level of investment in the topic would be very weird for someone who wasnt American...

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

His level of investment in the topic would be very weird for someone who wasnt American...

It wouldn't be though... The US are a massive player in global politics and their policies have global reach. On top of that, plenty of Irish people have lots of family in the US. Eg most of my family are US born. Also, you post in this topic so that's pretty weird by your own logic.

Who cares? US politics is an interesting topic, much more interesting than Irish politics. And American foreign affairs can have a dramatic effect on a country like ours. If people find it interesting, just live and let live and let people enjoy what they are interested in?

Would you like to discuss any of Biden's policies or are you just going to keep posting about why you're so much smarter and superior than us because you are not as interested in US politics as some of us?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don’t know if it is fair to say I have a keen interest in US politics as much as I do in US policies and their creation. It is a subtle difference.

It wouldn't be though... The US are a massive player in global politics and their policies have global reach. On top of that, plenty of Irish people have lots of family in the US. Eg most of my family are US born. Also, you post in this topic so that's pretty weird by your own logic.

Investment is the word here.

I'm primarily interested in US politics for the effects it has on Ireland and Europe.

Irish people so heavily invested the partisan party politics of the US though. Bit odd in my view tbh, don't see many people on here getting excited about the party politics of Germany or France, which has a greater impact on us.

I'm primarily interested in US politics for the effects it has on Ireland and Europe.

Irish people so heavily invested the partisan party politics of the US though. Bit odd in my view tbh, don't see many people on here getting excited about the party politics of Germany or France, which has a greater impact on us.

Are you also annoyed by Irish people being heavily invested in British football?

If yes, could you point to your posts where you have proclaimed this annoyance?

If not, would you like to explain why this is different?

• Advertisement

Are you also annoyed by Irish people being heavily invested in British football?

I dont have access to the Soccer forum. :)

I dont have access to the Soccer forum. :)

So what is the answer to my first question?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I've seen this pattern before. Aristotle's boom-bust cycle begins again as he starts on his quest for the threadban hattrick:pac:

I've seen this pattern before. Aristotle's boom-bust cycle begins again as he starts on his quest for the threadban hattrick:pac:

Yep, it's called having a discussion.

Would you like to discuss any of Biden's policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

To be fair, trying to have a genuine discussion with a Trump supporter would test the patience of Job

But you yourself are not so subtly pushing partisan nonsense that the American right are pushing. Eg the below post doesn't relate remotely to the US relationship to Europe or Ireland and is more an effort to take a jab at Biden... Why are you so invested?
    So I was watching the youbetube there and they said Biden hasnt held a press conference in 57 days, apparently the longest presidential gap in a 100 years. Must be too busy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A rather odd and political date to use to withdraw troops from Afghanistan.

PR machine alive and kicking in the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

a politician engaging in PR? say it aint so.

Trumpists: Why isn't Biden pulling out of Afghanistan like he said he would? :mad:

*pulls out of Afghanistan*

Trumpists: yEaH bUt NoT ThAt DAte :mad:

Trumpists: Why isn't Biden pulling out of Afghanistan like he said he would? :mad:

*pulls out of Afghanistan*

Trumpists: yEaH bUt NoT ThAt DAte :mad:

People on these threads: bring everything back to Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is odd about biden picking that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump brings everything back to Trump. Trump had already agreed to the withdrawal by May 1. September 11 is a delay

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/04/973604904/trumps-deal-to-end-war-in-afghanistan-leaves-biden-with-a-terrible-situation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well I think a previous President wanted a military parade for the 4th of July so I think I prefer this type of PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,494 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And people on the Trump thread brought everything back to Obama!

The next is always going to be contrasted with the previous.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And people on the Trump thread brought everything back to Obama!

The next is always going to be contrasted with the previous.

Ah but the Trump stuff is on another level.

Just looks a bit weird now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ah but the Trump stuff is on another level.

Just looks a bit weird now at this stage.

You thought it was weird when he was being discussed on here while he was President.

What I think is weird is you constantly trying to get people to stop calling him out for how he performed either as a President or as an individual.

Do you believe that Biden pulling troops out of Afghanistan is a good thing or a bad thing?

If a good thing, why are you acting so negatively about it?

If he said he was pulling troops out next week you would probably still say "but why not this week?"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Only in response to those who sat on their hands and said nothing while Trump did infinitely worse things.

It is to demonstrate the hypocrisy of those posters, who are not commenting in good faith.

But then again, nuance and context is lost on those that supported that buffoon for 4 years. He numbs the brain.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Do you believe that Biden pulling troops out of Afghanistan is a good thing or a bad thing?

If a good thing, why are you acting so negatively about it?

If he said he was pulling troops out next week you would probably still say "but why not this week?"

Because it's just the same tired old nonsense with the Trump supporters.

It's like that one that was around during the election who claimed to be pro-choice and pro-LGBT but would vote for Mike Pence over Kamala Harris because she's 'odious'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,845 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Capitol Officer who shot and killed that insurrectionist woman with the backpack that climbed through the doorframe during the attack in January, will not face criminal charges.

Advertisement