Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Galmay

I think im seeing some specks of ash fall in galway. then again if u look hard enough..
    16kxkb6.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

apparently ba test flight is over cork but i cant see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sounds like this could all be over very soon....
    London, England (CNN) -- Results of test flights show "there's no impact" in European air space from the volcanic ash that has disrupted air travel this week, the European Union's Secretary of State Diego Lopez Garrido said Sunday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/18/volcano.ash.test.flights/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Rumor for a mate of mine who fly's for ryanair is it could take weeks. If thats the case a lot of people going to be out of work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not sure if I would take the chance, why are the European Union letting corporate bodies undertake the test? Why aren't the Air Forces being used? . . .

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/16/340727/pictures-finnish-f-18-engine-check-reveals-effects-of-volcanic.html
    “The images show that short-term flying can cause substantial damage to an aircraft engine,” the air force says. Continued operation could lead to overheating and potentially pose a threat to the aircraft and its pilot, it adds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not sure if I would take the chance, why are the European Union letting corporate bodies undertake the test? Why aren't the Air Forces being used? . . .

Simple. The air forces don't have many civilian Boeings or Airbuses at there disposal. It's pointless testing aircraft that won't be used in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It's the airlines doing it themselves. I very much wonder how scientifically sound their approach is though. The KLM approach seemed to be simply 'well the flights went OK so it must be alright', which is pretty flawed.

I just heard Peter Mandelson being asked by a journalist why they aren't lifting restrictions given the KLM test flights, and he simply said that safety was their number one priority based on 'independent' scientific advice, and that they weren't going to take risks with safety.

There is definitely, I think, a little bit of tension between the airlines, or some of them anyway, and the aviation/scientific agencies and authorities on this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Confab wrote: »
    Simple. The air forces don't have many civilian Boeings or Airbuses at there disposal. It's pointless testing aircraft that won't be used in practice.

Let KLM hand over a Boeing to an Air Force for testing and inspection afterwards. Im sure some Air Force pilots would have undertaken training for standard civilian air craft? That would go a long way in convincing me!:)

(Oh and the RAF do in fact use Boeing aircraft that use similar engines as some commercial aircraft.)

Its early days yet I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LookingFor wrote: »
    It's the airlines doing it themselves. I very much wonder how scientifically sound their approach is though.

Risking several planes (which by all accounts should be expected to be near write-offs after the test flights if the panic merchants are to be believed) is pretty serious though.

You can't accuse them of doing this lightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

I'm starting to think that maybe the airlines are right to try to start flying again, really how dense is the cloud of ash, I know planes have had trouble before with volcanic ash but that is when they fly straight into it relativity close to the volcano not 500/1000 mile away like most of europe is, but then again i could be wrong :o

I have a holiday in Cuba riding on that they are right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

roryc1 wrote: »
    I'm starting to think that maybe the airlines are right to try to start flying again, really how dense is the cloud of ash, I know planes have had trouble before with volcanic ash but that is when they fly straight into it relativity close to the volcano not 500/1000 mile away like most of europe is, but then again i could be wrong :o

its not just the density of the cloud that they are worried about, it's really the particles incase they get jammed in the engines...:rolleyes:

peasant wrote: »
    Risking several planes (which by all accounts should be expected to be near write-offs after the test flights if the panic merchants are to be believed) is pretty serious though.

You can't accuse them of doing this lightly

No, I don't, but I wonder about the broader conclusions reached, and how they reach them.

You might send up 99 planes and nothing might go wrong. The hundredth might be the issue.

Even a small percentage of flights with problems could produce 100s of incidents in a day. And ash risk is not a guarantee that every, or even most flights would have problems...but you only need a relatively small number to have a big problem.

I'm sure their experience and any data they picked up will be factored into decisions made about risk. But I would be more trusting of independent analysis - afterall, KLM was saying after one single flight in the netherlands that things are OK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

Just seen press conference in UK. All the heavy hitters involved, Mandleson, Lord Adonis, Defence Secretary, Foreign Secretary. They are taking this crisis very seriously at the highest level of government to repatriate their displaced citizens.
    Does anyone have any idea what our leaders response has been so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'm not sure, but i saw something in the sky today that were not clouds, it looked a very pale white and it was coming from north to south. are my eyes playing tricks on me or was this ash??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

It is not just one flight it is 10 flights. 5 BA flights. If you look back at the links and read them, you will see this. It is on the BBC news site.

I dont have an opinion of whether the airlines should fly but people around here need to get their facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Flying his own plane at 30,000ft i hope.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

Just seen press conference in UK. All the heavy hitters involved, Mandleson, Lord Adonis, Defence Secretary, Foreign Secretary. They are taking this crisis very seriously at the highest level of government to repatriate their displaced citizens.
    Does anyone have any idea what our leaders response has been so far?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0418/martinm.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kevin12345 wrote: »
    its not just the density of the cloud that they are worried about, it's really the particles incase they get jammed in the engines...:rolleyes:

Sounds like a dangerously unknown quantity..

What price holidays, really, against any risk? There is always next year...

Graces7 wrote: »

That's one thing in the case of a holiday, quite another in the case of the economy as a whole.

The European economy can not really afford (especially at this time) for air travel to completely break down and for several airlines and associated industries to go to the wall. There will have to be better, more informed risk assessment than just saying "there's ash out there somehwere so nobody flies".

and then there are statistics :D
    People say you should travel by train, car or bus and freight should be put on trucks and ships ...yet so far it is still statisticaly safer to go by plane.
    (that might change however if they get this one wrong :eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blank_screen

rte.ie:
    17.44 KLM has said European airspace is safe with the exception of the area between Iceland and Russia.
    ...thats exactly where the grounded european airspace lies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Does anyone know if the ash cloud has actually reached Ireland yet? Looking at the sky, there is nothing to suggest that it has but maybe I am wrong?

I get the impression this is going to go bad very quickly.

even if it does you wont be able to see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Last time I checked only Norway, Sweden and Finland lay between Iceland and Russia, but maybe there's been some tectonic movement in the last few days! :pac:

Yrag2E wrote: »
    It is not just one flight it is 10 flights. 5 BA flights. If you look back at the links and read them, you will see this. It is on the BBC news site.

I dont have an opinion of whether the airlines should fly but people around here need to get their facts right.

I'd read there was one flight on Sat night, but I read now that there was 1 going one way, then 7 coming back the same way. Either way it doesn't really matter...taking 5, 6, 7, 10 flights on one path doesn't warrant a 'the risk is overblown' conclusion.

However, reading more I think there's also some media hype about the klm tests - klm themselves pointed out that the flights were in a window between areas of ash...I don't think they intended their statements to be taken quite so generally about the quality of all airspace.

Does anyone know if the ash cloud has actually reached Ireland yet? Looking at the sky, there is nothing to suggest that it has but maybe I am wrong?
    I found some on my car earlier, so yes, it's here alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

peasant wrote: »
    I found some on my car earlier, so yes, it's here alright

Right. I just thought it would be more visually appealing than this! :pac:

Su Campu wrote: »
    Last time I checked only Norway, Sweden and Finland lay between Iceland and Russia, but maybe there's been some tectonic movement in the last few days! :pac:
    what I meant was west and east of europe, but of course from geographic point of view you're right;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The webcam for Katla is not working :(

At least not for me ----> http://www.ruv.is/katla/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vrhunski

it is night anyway :)

Graces7 wrote: »

That's a very blinkered view. This is not just about tourism. What about DHL, Fed Ex, UPC? They import and export billions of euro worth of products each year for our economy. Every day lost is a huge burden on them and the country in general. A high percentage of their imports are critical to our economy, such as industrial and medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, factory supplies, electronics etc.

Bottom line, we can't do without air travel for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Washed and waxed this car 3 days ago, There hasnt been any rain in Cork since then, Now look at it!

188B4571C13B4564AF60E2B9104E8295-500.jpg

62DA96E3A2AA455E8CE35F830861DD2E-800.jpg

Also polished and waxed my other car today (about 3 hours ago), havnt driven it yet today and already there is a very fine film of similar dust on the car, its not visibly noticeable yet on the car only on your finger when you wipe the body work!

Ash is definetly falling here in Cork anyway!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Washed and waxed this car 3 days ago, There hasnt been any rain in Cork since then, Now look at it!

188B4571C13B4564AF60E2B9104E8295-500.jpg

62DA96E3A2AA455E8CE35F830861DD2E-800.jpg

Also polished and waxed my other car today (about 3 hours ago), havnt driven it yet today and already there is a very fine film of similar dust on the car, its not visibly noticeable yet on the car only on your finger when you wipe the body work!

apparently thats the ash and if most people in the uk and ireland are reporting this then it must be the ash..

That's a very blinkered view. This is not just about tourism. What about DHL, Fed Ex, UPC? They import and export billions of euro worth of products each year for our economy. Every day lost is a huge burden on them and the country in general. A high percentage of their imports are critical to our economy, such as industrial and medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, factory supplies, electronics etc.

What about bananas....:pac:

That stuff's all over cars in Dublin too the last couple of days.

Is it just because of the dry spell though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I was just wondering the same thing myself. I know you don't want to take chances with safety, but I would imagine that if the cloud is not visible from pretty much anywhere, then there is probably not much of a risk there. I know they say it's invisible, but at least at sunset we should have been seeing much more than we have been seeing. I say most of what we've seen has been normal haze from the inversion anyway. I posted pics a month ago from my flight to Sligo in which there was more visible contamination than there is now - and we're supposed to be in the middle of a serious ash cloud? Yes they found a bit at 5000 and 7000ft yesterday, but only localised, and in reality no airliner stays at that level for long. We have more evidence (OK not from an independent source) that things are not as bad as feared.

Previous planes to have problems with ash have were flying fairly close to the source - Moody's flight in '82 was affected by severe St Elmo's fire before the engines shut down, which illustrates that. And planes take off in sand and dust storms, part of which contains silica, all the time in desert areas without problem.

I welcome the utmost caution taken by the authorities this weekend, they were right to do sit it out and see what happened. But in reality what has happened? Nothing. No coverings of volcanic ash as predicted (yes there were some reports in England but not what you'd call much). Tomorrow will be a big day, I reckon we could be seeing the end in sight.

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How would you explain the dust on my other car that i waxed today, ill go out and take a picture of it now actually, i wont be driving it over the next day or two so it will be interesting to see if it gathers dust! And im not parked anywhere near a main road so its not thrown up by other cars or building works!

• Advertisement

ok if everyone is reporting this is bound to be the ash everyone can hardly report dust on there cars that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭John mac

BAW9156
    Company : British Airways
    ICAO Hex Code : 400550
    Reg Code : G-CIVC
    Model : Boeing - B747-436
    Departure : LHR - London, Heathrow - United Kingdom
    Arrival : CWL - Cardiff, Rhoose - United Kingdom
    Last Message : 18:55:37 UTC
    Latitude : 52.59645
    Longitude : -11.30638
    Altitude : 12192 m - 40000 ft
    Ground Speed : 981 km/h - 610 mph - 530 knots
    Squawk : 1404

Just off the south west coast now..

40,000 ft is prob above any cloud though,

NOw over Charleiville @17,500 ft its the test flight,
    but how can it fly over closed airspace?

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/

The German aerospace centre (DLR) are going to send a specially equipped plane into the ash cloud over Germany for measurements on Monday ...so that should provide a more neutral assessment than the Lufthansa or Air Berlin flights

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Yrag2E wrote: »

It is times like these that show the kind of banana republic we live in.
    Apart from 'keeping the situation under review' the government are doing sweet f*** all. The Brits are ahead of the possie mobilising ships if necessary! Ok we may not have the same numbers stranded abroad but a decent response from gov is a minimum. Where the f**k is cowen. haven't seen him anywhere in the news. we are a f***ing embarrassment!:mad:

I'm no expert Su, but from the very start they said:

a) it wouldn't be visible to the eye down here

b) even thin concentrations can be dangerous to craft because of how air passes through engines

The level of concentration or dispersion that creates a risk isn't necessarily that high, let alone actually visible. Or so they say...

(I know people keep citing the Finnish airforce planes, but relevant to your questions, the pilots there had no indication in the air of the dust, they didn't see it, there wasn't even that affect on the windshield that was reported in other cases. At the time Finnish airspace wasn't even closed, the cloud was deemed far enough away at that point. Yet when they landed they found quite serious damage to the engines.)

emfifty wrote: »
    It is times like these that show the kind of banana republic we live in.
    Apart from 'keeping the situation under review' the government are doing sweet f*** all. The Brits are ahead of the possie mobilising ships if necessary! Ok we may not have the same numbers stranded abroad but a decent response from gov is a minimum. Where the f**k is cowen. haven't seen him anywhere in the news. we are a f***ing embarrassment!:mad:

Eh? What's Cowen going to do? Mobilise the air force? :D The navy? :confused: Our amazing trawler fleet? The government can't do anything to help this situation. Wait and see is the best approach at the moment. The Irish aren't stupid enough that they have to ask for help to get a train back from Madrid.
    I know people keep citing the Finnish airforce planes, but relevant to your questions, the pilots there had no indication in the air of the dust, they didn't see it, there wasn't even that affect on the windshield that was reported in other cases. At the time Finnish airspace wasn't even closed, the cloud was deemed far enough away at that point. Yet when they landed they found quite serious damage to the engines.)

The fighters use different engines to airliners. In a fighter all the air is burned in the engine, guaranteeing that volcanic dust will destroy it very quickly. In a civilian airliner only 25% of the air is burned and the rest isn't touched. Makes a big difference in terms of ruggedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Life is more important than money!

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Life is more important than money!

Ironically, if you were to transfer all European air movements to the ground (people and goods) there would probably be a significant increase in road traffic accidents. But these we take for granted and they are usually nowhere near as spectacular as a plane falling out of the sky so they go unreported.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Now

Advertisement