Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC One [Megathread]

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

wonski wrote: »
    You might need to enter APN etc manually. What settings are there now?

Found settings on emobile site, i think im sorted , will update if not.
    Thanks guys, stunning phone, sold my week old Nokia 920 which was a great phone too but while i like WP8 i missed android.
    Delighted with this beast so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Anyone having issues with the Htc one rebooting itself randomly ?

Any suggestions for a cover?
    Havent a chance to read all this thread yet :P
    An otter box cover came with it but its very bulky and its purple.
    Also does this thing need screen protectors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dcully wrote: »

None :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'm using a cheap as chips clear S-line case, one of the rubber type ones. Not a huge fan of cases but I really don't want to scratch the phone. I don't use a case when I'm at home or certain places but I'd always have it going to work and heading out for the night.

I keep thinking I've scratched the back as it seems to scuff/mark quite easily but they just wipe off, not sure what it is :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Last time I dropped the phone it was when putting it in the cover. Too good looking phone to hide it. Not to mention these "flaps" look funny when making calls. I do tend to keep phones for ages (2-3 years), so "resale" value doesn't bother me to much. Scratching the phone doesn't bother me anymore. Part of the ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

Signal strength.

I can go from full 5 bar signal strength to none to anything in between when my phone is in the same position on my desk. It keeps fluctuating. It's a nightmare when I am trying to surf net. Sometimes it even says no sim card.
    Anyone else have this? I'm with meteor.

Btw is 3G OR H the fastest data?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Signal strength.

I can go from full 5 bar signal strength to none to anything in between when my phone is in the same position on my desk. It keeps fluctuating. It's a nightmare when I am trying to surf net. Sometimes it even says no sim card.
    Anyone else have this? I'm with meteor.

Thanks

You might be just on the edge of 2 cells (I say this as you mention 3G and H) and your phone keeps switching from a good 3G signal (5 bars) to a bad H signal (no bars) or visa versa.

Quick guide to speed in ascending order.

G - GPRS
    E - Edge
    3G - 3G
    H - HSDPA or HSDPA+ or whatever they are bs-ing about these days :-)

If I'm in a spot like this and really need to get a stable connection I manually set it to the 3G signal until I get whatever I want done.

Sounds like a bit of bother but at least you can work. This is not a specific issue of the phone by the way more network related.

This will be an issue if the location is one where you are based a lot (home / work)

Of course it might also be a hardware issue but if it only happens in htis location its more likely to be network related.

As an aside one area where my phone is unusable on data is in CItywest on VF.. No coverage at the desk ggrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

H is HSPA, much much faster than 3G. Can peak at 22 MB/s (not likely though)

• Advertisement

Too good looking phone to hide it

Video reviews,photographs dont come anywhere near doing it justice.
    It not until its in your hand you appreciate how stunning it is.
    Apart from some people maybe finding blink feed annoying [i love it] how can anyone buy a galaxy s4 before this?

Video reviews,photographs dont come anywhere near doing it justice.
    It not until its in your hand you appreciate how stunning it is.
    Apart from some people maybe finding blink feed annoying [i love it] how can anyone buy a galaxy s4 before this?

Removable battery and the ability to upgrade memory are two good reasons.
    I would agree that the Htc build quality is top notch tho, and battery life is quite good, but then again, it would have to be given the fact that the One is a sealed unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tallus wrote: »
    Removable battery and the ability to upgrade memory are two good reasons.
    I would agree that the Htc build quality is top notch tho, and battery life is quite good, but then again, it would have to be given the fact that the One is a sealed unit.

Had Desire HD for 3 years and didn't have to replace battery - still ok. 32GB is enough for me anyway. Time will tell if the battery issue is going to be a problem... One look at the phone and I knew I wanted it. Didn't feel the same about Galaxy.

wonski wrote: »
    Had Desire HD for 3 years and didn't have to replace battery - still ok. 32GB is enough for me anyway. Time will tell if the battery issue is going to be a problem... One look at the phone and I knew I wanted it. Didn't feel the same about Galaxy.

Desire HD was a great phone, I had several :-)

I traded my Galaxy Note 2 for a HTC One on Sunday last and I have to say I do miss the large screen. I am also having issues with the One restarting itself, especially when streaming video to my smart tv. I have also had two random restarts in the las 24 hours. It doesn't inspire confidence, considering my note 2 restarted Itself once in nine months.
    I contacted the guy I traded and he recommended phone menders, not really what I wanted to hear considering I only had the phone just over 24 hours.

I know my issue is probably an isolated one but like I said earlier, it doesn't inspire confidence. I have performed a hard reset too just to rule out a software issue, which didn't appear to have fixed the issue.

I do love the fact that the phone has an iR blaster, which works really well with my UPC horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I contacted the guy I traded and he recommended phone menders, not really what I wanted to hear considering I only had the phone just over 24 hours.

sounds like your were jipped!

nedd wrote: »
    sounds like your were jipped!

I won't be dealing with him again.

• Advertisement

Do you know if there is a custom rom installed? If the previous owner put an early version of 4.3 on there that could be causing your reboots.

Do you know if there is a custom rom installed? If the previous owner put an early version of 4.3 on there that could be causing your reboots.

I updated it after I performed a hard reset, and it's running stock, un-rooted.
    Google Play Store downloaded loads of my root apps like SuperSu and root checker etc, and I did see if the device had been rooted but it's running bona fide 4.2.2.
    Ie: None of my apps that need root are working.

I updated it after I performed a hard reset, and it's running stock, un-rooted.
    Google Play Store downloaded loads of my root apps like SuperSu and root checker etc, and I did see if the device had been rooted but it's running bona fide 4.2.2.
    Ie: None of my apps that need root are working.

sounds like a HW issue then. I have my One for a few months with no reboots...

sounds like a HW issue then. I have my One for a few months with no reboots...

That's what has me worried. It's still under warranty, but I don't want to be sending a phone off for repair the day after I got it :/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

cargo wrote: »
    You might be just on the edge of 2 cells (I say this as you mention 3G and H) and your phone keeps switching from a good 3G signal (5 bars) to a bad H signal (no bars) or visa versa.

If I'm in a spot like this and really need to get a stable connection I manually set it to the 3G signal until I get whatever I want done.
    rr

Hey, thanks for detailed response.
    I did as you suggested above and now holding steady on "E" data transfer. Must have been switching as advised. Many thanks

• Advertisement

Dont suppose theres any means of listening to the Zoe songs, that Lilyton one is only beautiful,love to get the full song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I use the otter box defender case, a bit bulky but does the job. Let the phone drop twice and no damage done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Payton

Has anyone had this problem, coming from a HTC One S and while listening to music/radio through the earphones I'd get a notification sound that I received a text or cover but since I got the HTC One all I get is the radio/music still playing and a vibrate but no notification sound through the earphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I see 4.3 is being rolled out for the One -starting in Taiwan, any idea how soon Irish users can expect it?

Or even how long a rollout takes for updates such as this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It was quick enough the last time.

I've rooted my HTC One, but haven't added any custom ROMs or anything - will I get the update OTA still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dulpit wrote: »
    I've rooted my HTC One, but haven't added any custom ROMs or anything - will I get the update OTA still?

Should do. Make sure to back up the original before installing a custom rom.
    Trying to get it back to stock is probing a bitch to do.

If HTC are anything like Samsung, you won't get the updates. My note 2 never updated when rooted, though you can get updates from the likes of XDA developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

FatRat wrote: »
    Regarding Warranty....
    !

My One X is on the way back from their repair centre, I bought it second hand as well.

I didn't need I produce a receipt so you should be grand as well..

If HTC are anything like Samsung, you won't get the updates. My note 2 never updated when rooted, though you can get updates from the likes of XDA developers.

Ya, that's what I figured (also came from a Note 2).

We'll see...

• Advertisement

Hi guys, i seem to recall mention of free 25GB of some sort of cloud storage with the HTC One?

Hi guys, i seem to recall mention of free 25GB of some sort of cloud storage with the HTC One?

Dropbox. When you set up your phone did it not ask you?

And a link :)

https://www.dropbox.com/help/249/en

I think i only have 2GB, I bought it on adverts, onyl a few weeks old, maybe the previous owner nabbed the 25GB dropbox for this phone, if thats possible?

edit :

seems so

For HTC smartphones with HTC Sense 4.0, 4+, and 5.0, the promotion is available to the first user who (a) registers for Dropbox through the on-boarding experience on an HTC Sense 4.0, 4+, or 5.0 smartphone pre-loaded with the Dropbox application

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

I think i only have 2GB, I bought it on adverts, onyl a few weeks old, maybe the previous owner nabbed the 25GB dropbox for this phone, if thats possible?

edit :

seems so

For HTC smartphones with HTC Sense 4.0, 4+, and 5.0, the promotion is available to the first user who (a) registers for Dropbox through the on-boarding experience on an HTC Sense 4.0, 4+, or 5.0 smartphone pre-loaded with the Dropbox application

managed to nab myself 125gb by registering with my note 1 note 2 note 10.1 s4 and now htc one :)

not sure how long I get the full allowance for though

pah wrote: »
    managed to nab myself 125gb by registering with my note 1 note 2 note 10.1 s4 and now htc one :)

I registered on my HTC One X and got 25gb, when I set up my One I didn't get another 25gb.

I registered on my HTC One X and got 25gb, when I set up my One I didn't get another 25gb.

Same here and was looking up there to say if I could do it, don't see any way!

I'm at 110GB, got a bunch between HTC Sensation (I think), Note 2 and now the One.

2 years is the normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

hi guys, i posted a few days back that my htc one was stuck on android 4.1.2. I bought the phone 2nd hand I'm just wondering if the person before me flashed it and thats why I can't find any updates ? When I look in "software information" then "more" it says the Kernel version is

3.4.10-g91c239d
    root@abm015 no.1
    smp preempt

If anyone who is familiar with rooting could help itd be great !!

• Advertisement

If you download root checker it will tell you if you're rooted. Not sure about kernel stuff tho.

Edit :it's available free in the google play store.
    /edit

it says its not have proper root access. Im just at a loss as to why i cant update from android 4.1.2

emmetkenny wrote: »
    it says its not have proper root access. Im just at a loss as to why i cant update from android 4.1.2

Not sure if this will be any help but my kernel version is pretty similar.

3.4.10-g28df0d6

Root @abm009 #1

Running Android 4.2.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Blazer wrote: »
    2 years is the normal

thanks, but from when I wonder? as in I have been adding to it like a lotto rollover for the last 2 years. will each 25gb expire separately after 2 years

Thanks for that. just when I saw root I thought he had rooted it before selling it. When I boot up the One there is no network logo so it must be a sim free phone.

thanks, but from when I wonder? as in I have been adding to it like a lotto rollover for the last 2 years. will each 25gb expire separately after 2 years

yep...

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thanks for that. just when I saw root I thought he had rooted it before selling it. When I boot up the One there is no network logo so it must be a sim free phone.

I know Meteor HTC one's were unlocked. Not sure about other carriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the notification for delivery reports?

I still want delivery reports, like on most other phones the little tick beside the message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Does anybody know where you can get the stock headphones that came in the box with the HTC One.
    I have lost mine and the HTC website doesn't seem to have the bog standard ones.
    I thought the sound quality on them was pretty good but more importantly they fit in my ears and didn't fall out every 20 seconds.
    Any help or ideas much appreciated

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where you can get the stock headphones that came in the box with the HTC One.
    I have lost mine and the HTC website doesn't seem to have the bog standard ones.
    I thought the sound quality on them was pretty good but more importantly they fit in my ears and didn't fall out every 20 seconds.
    Any help or ideas much appreciated

These are the version of the ones in box, but with controls on the mic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009E7R5K8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

These are the version of the ones in box, but with controls on the mic: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009E7R5K8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for that.
    I saw them but i was worried that the size of the buds would be different.
    As i said i don't really need anything fancy just something that wont fall out of my weird shaped ears.
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement