Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

Sky King wrote: »
    Argued with a doctor until he capitulated and got another doc for a second opinion on my illness. The 2nd doc agreed with me and I was sent to the hospital where I was treated. Had I not argued I would have been sent home, where I either would have died or at the very least had some horrible permanent damage like blindness or loss of limbs.

It's not creepy per se but I get a chill every time i wonder what life would be like if i wasn't feeling so argumentative that day.

Had a similar experience myself..

12 years ago I had an accident and had a relapse where I almost bled to death at home.. was patched up in the hospital and transferred to Limerick.

Arrived to the hospital about 3am, junior doctor wanted to remove the pressure bandage on my arm - I refused until the consultant was standing at the foot of the bed.. they sent me up to the ICU until the following morning.

Team came in to me about 10am all jokes and smiles that I was back 'cause I missed them... 10 mins later as I advised them what was going to happen, they cut off the pressure bandage and my torn artery started bleeding out again...

Scary stuff... just to think if I hadn't managed to stay awake... :( but hey, I'm here to tell the tale...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

1210m5g wrote: »
    From reading this thread i have come to the conclusion that mental illness is rife in Ireland.
    Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

This is a very interesting thread however definitely some stories gave me the heebeejeebees was awake listening to every creek and noise in the house at all hours last night.

Have heard of farmers getting lost in fields unable to find the wall or the gate to get out. Heard stories from the east and west of the country on that. Seems after dark and with a bit of fog it has happened many a person.

Have had a couple of unexplainable things happen myself. My aunt says there are only certain people that can see ghosts/spirits and you should consider yourself lucky if you do.

Was in Edinburgh on a tour of the underground streets and there was a group of us. Some of the rooms we were shown into were freezing however one we went into my OH said god another freezing room however I had started within seconds of entering to boil up. I had come out in a sweat And felt like I could actually feel my blood boiling. Was the weirdest feeling like i suddenly had a fever. The tour guide asked what people felt and everyone said freezing cold again and I said I was roasting. He said only a handfull of people ever on his tours have said they felt too hot and it is an indication that person is picking up on the spirits energy in the room. Many thousands died down there in the fires.
    I just remember feelin the need to get far far away from there and never go back. Was not nice.

Might post later with another weird occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I once tried to nosh a girl off who had an extremely hairy fanny. I wasn't right for weeks afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

tbh wrote: »
    Car crash / near car crash would be over too soon for it to have any effect. But say something like someone giving me bad news (divorce/redundancy/health scare level) - would be nearly impossible to stay awake for. I've learned coping techniques, but still very hard :)

That sounds a little like Vasovagal Syncope - I suffer from it myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Blingy wrote: »
    This is a very interesting thread however definitely some stories gave me the heebeejeebees was awake listening to every creek and noise in the house at all hours last night.

Have heard of farmers getting lost in fields unable to find the wall or the gate to get out. Heard stories from the east and west of the country on that. Seems after dark and with a bit of fog it has happened many a person.

Have had a couple of unexplainable things happen myself. My aunt says there are only certain people that can see ghosts/spirits and you should consider yourself lucky if you do.

Was in Edinburgh on a tour of the underground streets and there was a group of us. Some of the rooms we were shown into were freezing however one we went into my OH said god another freezing room however I had started within seconds of entering to boil up. I had come out in a sweat And felt like I could actually feel my blood boiling. Was the weirdest feeling like i suddenly had a fever. The tour guide asked what people felt and everyone said freezing cold again and I said I was roasting. He said only a handfull of people ever on his tours have said they felt too hot and it is an indication that person is picking up on the spirits energy in the room. Many thousands died down there in the fires.
    I just remember feelin the need to get far far away from there and never go back. Was not nice.

Might post later with another weird occurance.

Was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago...we were gonna do one of the dungeon tours...was it one of those you did? Regret not doing it now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Could not get to sleep last night til about 3am, couldn't stop thinking about the crutch story. Had to go down stairs to turn off the broadband, kept my eyes shut the whole time :S ...kept thinking l was hearing things :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Could not get to sleep last night til about 3am, couldn't stop thinking about the crutch story. Had to go down stairs to turn off the broadband, kept my eyes shut the whole time :S ...kept thinking l was hearing things :S

I had read through a load of these on my own Saturday night and I was grand and lastnight when everyone was home I was terrified after putting the child to bed, scared to look out the window !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

brilliant! :pac: Made me LOL! :D

I once tried to nosh a girl off who had an extremely hairy fanny. I wasn't right for weeks afterwards.

AH Now, come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

My mother told me this story a few times when I was young but my memory faded so I just rang her there from Oz just to find out. Brought back goose bumps again...
    This was back in the 70's in Clonmel, my mother was about 20 at the time. She was living in her friends house for a few months which was the friends family home too when this incident occurred. My mother and friend(girl) where staying in the same bed as the house was cramped. It was a poor place to live and is a bit of a rough place.
    Anyway 3 weeks before this incident occurred my mothers friends father passed away in the house. He was old, had bad feet and walked with special shows and a walking stick.
    This particular night was a Friday, my mother stayed in but the friend went out for a few drinks. She came back later and had a chat about the night and bla bla bla. Anyhow they went to bed and later my mother woke up thirsty so she got out bed and was on her way down the stairs to the kitchen. About the forth step down she saw someone coming around the bottom of the stairs and started slowing making his way up. It was the dead father, slowly coming up the stairs with the special shoes and the walking stick.
    She was frozen but managed to jump onto her friend on the bed to wake her up but couldn't, she wasn't able to talk either. The dead man had my mothers legs grabbed to try and prevent my mother from waking his daughter up.
    He was the type of man who used to lock the doors and check every one was safe in the house. After he start walking out of the bedroom my mothers friend woke up and asked was that my father?
    In the days after this the sons got rid of his cloths and walking stick and had mass in the house. My mother swears it happened and the friend believes it too. With sleep paralysis you can't get this much detail and can't move at all. Im a regular with SP but this seems different.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DeVore wrote: »
    When I broke my leg (thigh bone) I had to be put into skeletal-traction. The only way to do this is to put a steel bar through your shin and use it to stretch the leg out. So I consented to having my shin drilled. The problem was, the doctor wouldnt give me any more anesthetic or knock me out (because I was loaded up on morpheine as it was). So, they had to drill my shin while I was conscious and by reports, screaming blue murder. They gave me a memory-wipe drug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midazolam) after the fact and to this day I cant remember anything of the event. I have the signed document of consent and the recollections of people who were there.... but for me, its like that part of the experience just got fast forwarded.

I woke up in a hospital bed with a bar through my shin and weights attached to it in the middle of the night. Not something I recommend.

There's a much better way to tell this story in future. Start with waking up in hospital with a bar through your shin with weights attached to it with no memory of what the hell is going on, and then explain the drugs and consent form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

dr gonzo wrote: »

Hmm, without arguing about legitimacy of them, the derivation of ghosts is easily argued. The reason most cultures have them is probably more to do with the simple fact that, when alive, a person is more then the body they inhabit, they are a personality, a trait that disappears when they pass away. In other words, its a pretty easy leap to notice that the body remains but the person does not, ergo the person is something else that leaves, and in some cases sticks around. This idea is not necessarily one thats intended to be scary either. The ritual sphere of the Siberian Khanti entirely revolves around different tiers of spirits, many of whom are ancestors etc.

Anyway! thats just my two cents. Absolutely loving that this thread survived its first day! I knew boards would have some amazing stories.

Indeed... There is no physical evidence of the mind.. hence when the body is dead, does the mind stay around

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

wadefuq wrote: »
    Indeed... There is no physical evidence of the mind.. hence when the body is dead, does the mind stay around

Nope. No more than a movie stays around if you burn the DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah, just to back this up. They were on holiday a couple of years ago and the young lad kept saying "Sarah is going to heaven when we go on holiday". Sarah was his cousin, my bro and his fiancée were going on holiday with her brother and partner, and Sarah was one their children. Half way through the holiday, Sarah jumps into the swimming pool, gets into difficulty and very nearly drowns.

He also had this imaginary friend called Brian Pickles. When my bro's fiancée's father died, they were looking at photos of him when he was younger. The young fella points at one and says "there's Brian Pickles!" He definitely has the shinning.

has he done anything else, jonner never told me that

• Site Banned Posts: 29 Nailin4Whales

Zillah wrote: »
    Nope. No more than a movie stays around if you burn the DVD.

When you burn the DVD the movie is safe for another few years or how ever long the DVD lasts (not long if you bought them from the poundshop or have a low end DVD burner)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You're not funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

GRMA wrote: »
    This has happened me many times, as long as I can remember.

It's a dream, a nightmare I guess, but not like any other, I've had some bad ones too. I can't remember all of it but what I can goes like this..
    [...]
    This is the strangest bit. Sometimes I'm mid run bursting into the landing. Sometimes my feet are just swinging out of the bed. Other times I'm in the bathroom. Split second after I wake up I vomit. Badly. I don't even have time to think "what the fcuk" before I puke. It's not even a second, but I don't wake up actually mid vomit.
    [...]

When I was a kid I used to have a recurring dream any time before I woke up and threw up. I was plugged into some sort of more high-tech version of "The Machine" in The Princess Bride and there were two "scientists" there.

I presumed it was just the body's way of warning me that something was up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

I used to have a recurring dream as a kid of being stuck in underground caverns full of stalagmites and stalactites, they would close in on each other until I was trapped. Worse there were these things there that would take my parents and I would have to run around frantically to get them back. Never felt as scared as I did in those dreams...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Was in Edinburgh a few weeks ago...we were gonna do one of the dungeon tours...was it one of those you did? Regret not doing it now :(

Yes it was the dungeons. Was the weirdest feeling. Really didn't like it. Was at the killing fields in Cambodia and definitely the feeling I had in the dungeons were 100 times worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I was the exact same! Had to turn off the Broadband downstairs too and it felt like a big ordeal going down into the dark hallway. Woke up again about four am and could not stop imagining crutches coming to get me and had to switch on the light in order to get back to sleep.

I was in Mayo on holiday with a friend of mine there two years ago, we were staying in a caravan park which had a beach at it. It was a very warm day in July, so we said we would go for a swim. Went down to the beach, but there was no life gard there, but we said we would be okay. So anyway we had a small boat with us, so I took the boat and I got into it. My friend and myself were messing around in the boat and he got into it then. He paddled out it it as I said I'd hold onto it while he paddled. We were out a good bit from the shore and I lost my grip on the boat. I went under the water, trying my best to get back up for air every so often. As I'm not able to swim, I remember thinking "I'm going to drown." I got up for about 4 seconds and trying to tell my friend to get help. Then I went under again. I remember seeing a figure of my grandfather (who passed away from cancer back in 2000) under the water and seen a bright light around him as well. At this point I was out of energy and taking an awful amount of salt water, but it wasn't a bad feeling. I felt very at peace. My eyes closed the for what seemed like a few minutes, my grand father was still there when I opened my eyes again. Then, I got an awful amount of energy out of no where. I then tried my best to swim into shore, somehow I managed to get into shore. My friend was there on the beach with two other people that were staying at the same caravan park as us. He told me how there was no sign of me at all in the water and how they searched for over two and a half hour for me and was fully sure I was drown.

To this day I believe it was my grandfather that saved me. I just have no way to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This thread needs a soundtrack:

Nothing really creepy happened to me, I have very very derranged dreams though.

The one I remember the most was when I was a toddler, still sleeping in a crib bed, and it was a recurring dream. This was very specific so I remember it crystal clear, right down to the old 80's wallpaper we had on wall.

I'd wake up (in my dream) and there would be a head beside me peeping out of the quilt facing away from me. Every time I'd touch it the head would let out this deafening scream that would stop as soon as I took my hand off it.

The head never moved but would freak the shìt out of me. Anyways, the more times I had the dream the more confident I got with examining it. Sometimes I'd just sit there and look at it, never touching it. It would eventually slide under the quilt and vanish, I'd lift it up and there would be no signs of it.

On a side note, for no reason whatsoever the Statue Of Liberty would make an appearance in these dreams in the room, never moving and always in the same place by the window so it never scared me and my attention was always on what the hell this head was. :pac:

One dream I decided to have a look at the face of this head so I moved the head to which it started screaming and screeching constantly. Hair was covering it's face so when I moved the hair a completely green and rotted face was revealed with yellow, deflated eyes and no lips, revealing these mangy and dirty teeth. Exactly what a rotted corpse's face would look like.

The screaming continued but the head's mouth never moved and the head didn't do anything like attack me, just stayed static.

How I could think of an image like that in my head at that age, I dunno. I figured the head was supposed to be my sister since we shared a room, why it was rotted and screaming..................*shrugs shoulders*

Anyways, the spookiest ones I had was the Virgin Mary statue at my primary school when I was in Junior infants coming alive, floating about the place (not moving any limbs or it's face, just a floating staute) killing everyone with this ghastly moan before shrieking loudly when it made eye contact with me. That fùckin' statue was creepy because it looked cheaply made and had a bizarre face.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭1867IE

Less creepy than some stories here, but odd nonetheless.

My grandmother died around 15 years ago, I would have been only 6 or 7 at the time. My birthday is May 6th, and around mid-April my grandmother gave me 50punts as my birthday present.

It was a very early present but I’ll always remember her words, she said “take that now for your birthday in case anything was to happen to me between now and then.” Two weeks later, around a week before my birthday, she died suddenly from a massive heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

New pants now required. ****ing hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I was in Mayo on holiday with a friend of mine there two years ago, we were staying in a caravan park which had a beach at it. It was a very warm day in July, so we said we would go for a swim. Went down to the beach, but there was no life gard there, but we said we would be okay. So anyway we had a small boat with us, so I took the boat and I got into it. My friend and myself were messing around in the boat and he got into it then. He paddled out it it as I said I'd hold onto it while he paddled. We were out a good bit from the shore and I lost my grip on the boat. I went under the water, trying my best to get back up for air every so often. As I'm not able to swim, I remember thinking "I'm going to drown." I got up for about 4 seconds and trying to tell my friend to get help. Then I went under again. I remember seeing a figure of my grandfather (who passed away from cancer back in 2000) under the water and seen a bright light around him as well. At this point I was out of energy and taking an awful amount of salt water, but it wasn't a bad feeling. I felt very at peace. My eyes closed the for what seemed like a few minutes, my grand father was still there when I opened my eyes again. Then, I got an awful amount of energy out of no where. I then tried my best to swim into shore, somehow I managed to get into shore. My friend was there on the beach with two other people that were staying at the same caravan park as us. He told me how there was no sign of me at all in the water and how they searched for over two and a half hour for me and was fully sure I was drown.

To this day I believe it was my grandfather that saved me. I just have no way to explain it.
    See its hard to believe a word you say when you start off by saying "a warm day in July":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Glowing wrote: »
    That is fc%&ing scary!

Yeah it's not nice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

All you people badmouthing crutches, he won't like that at all, may come pay you a visit.

One two crutches coming for you, three four better lock your door. But that won't help because he can crutch through doors mu ha haa haaaaaa :pac:

This thread keeps triggering all kind of early memories, I had not thought of the abduction one in over a decade. And I thought of another childhood one, it was during the mass hysteria of the moving statues and I was brought there as a child for a gander. Like disaster tourism I suppose.

Well it was early eve and there were many hundreds of people on their knees all around the grotto in very deep sincere adoration and it was not mass praying but a mass incantion from the mass. A very solemn penitent atmosphere.

I could not help but stare at the statue in childhood curiosity. With the mass incantation of Hail Mary, I could see the statue not moving, but the mouth was mouthing the prayers in perfect sync. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief but nothing changed, it was still doing it. It was not scary in any way but I put it down to some kind of inadvertant power of suggestion caused by the mass prayers and solemn atmosphere. But later I found out others that were there that evening had witnessed the exact same thing without me mentioning what I had seen (or thought I had seen). That freaked me out! And bear in mind, I would be a very sceptical type of any paranormal antics.

That moving statue situation caused a nationwide hysteria for those that remember, even as a child I still remember it very very cleary.

I was passing through a few years ago and could not resist to go to the grotto, strangely there is nothing mentioning what happened nor any reference to the moving statue phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

One of my earliest memories (maybe I was three or four) is when I was with my parents shopping, I got separated from them. I remember being in the clothes section and hiding from my mom under all the clothes hanging from the racks.. Next thing I know they are gone. My little self wandered up to the checkout, crying, telling the lady at the cashier that I was lost. The man standing there checking out said he was a truck driver and would take me to the police station where my parents could get me... Then I could see my dad running towards me and grabbing me, my mom was upset and I was just so happy to be with them again. I never thought much of it until a few years back when it occurred to me that whoever that guy was, was definitely not taking me to the police station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Roisy7

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    What is it about dogs and their sixth sense?

I have never seen anything to freak me out but my dog did when I was a kid. We had a very smart Jack Russell when we were kids. He would know our Dad's car engine miles away, start getting excited and barking 10/15 minutes before my Dad drove into our drive. My mother always knew when to start the veg :P We were always amazed by him, and how smart he was.
    However, one thing he did really freaked us kids out, was to whine, howl like mad, when he was in the car when ever we drove passed a derelict house on top of the hill at the crossroads you need to pass before turing down into the road to our house.. my Mam told us, what our Grandad had told her, that the house had some really bad stories connected to it about children starving to death over a period of time and not being helped by a rich landowner. It had a bitter after taste for folks living in the area at the time of the childrens' death and this Irish landowner was hated.. anyway, as kids we've often go into old houses and mess about, try to scare the living daylights out of each other, telling stories and that.. but we never went near that house, knew better and I guess we were smart enough to trust our dog - he'd go anywhere with us, but never there.

I also remember, from when I was a kid, my Mother and some neighbours in our kitchen talking in hushed tones about a dying old man - can't remember his name - whose sheep dog/collie had been howling outside his house for days/nights sitting in the middle of the road.. and how he stopped once the man died, he just whined and slunked away, despondent.. funny how dogs always know, amazing creatures.

Just remembered something there from ages ago. My dad and his ex girlf had loads of Jack Russells, I loved them as we had no dogs at home. Anyway was staying there when I was about 12/13, and they had this beautiful dog who was about a year old called Kally. On my last day Kally would not leave me alone. Followed me everywhere, for the entire day like my shadow, big eyes and whining every so often. She must have known it was my last day.

The next year my dad and his girlfriend split up, so I did never see Kally again. Maybe she was saying goodbye!

(Not spooky at all, but dogs are amazing creatures!)

Advertisement