Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment Stage 4 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Polly26

userunkown wrote: »
    Seen that there are dates for the open day at the beginning and the end of January.
    Anyone at invited at the end of January mind answering in and around what OOM they are. Just to get an idea of where there at.
    Thanks in advance.
    Invited to open day on 5th Jan, and I’m mid 100’s

User2206 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between batch 1 & 2? I know batch one will be obviously called sooner than batch 2 but I mean more so in relation to OOM.. so I’m from batch 2 and after my interview I have an OOM of low 400’s but in batch 1 are there OOMs in 400’s aswell or are batch 1 from OOM 1 upwards as far as when the batch 2 OOMs begin? Sorry if that makes no sense haha hopefully someone can understand what I mean and might know the answer :D
    Don’t think there’s a difference, the order of merit means notting at this stage I think, it’s all pending on vetting and who’s comes back first??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Polly26 wrote: »
    Don’t think there’s a difference, the order of merit means notting at this stage I think, it’s all pending on vetting and who’s comes back first??

Does OOM not decide who’s called first for medical/physical? :)

Does OOM not decide who’s called first for medical/physical? :)

Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s all to do with vetting.. if your 100 and vetting takes ages, and someone else is 200, and there vetting comes back quicker than yours, there hardly going hang around waiting for the person who is 100.. they want to move people on as quickly as possible where possible. I may stand corrected on this do??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

@User2206 What do you mean by batch 1 & 2? There's no official batches as such.

OOM dictates how fast you get called for physical and medical. Also, when you're signed off, the higher your OOM is the quicker you get offered your place in Templemore.

There's people from the previous campaign that have had the medical and physical done for over a year and still aren't vetted. Vetting takes the longest and has no impact on when you're called for the physical/medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

@User2206 What do you mean by batch 1 & 2? There's no official batches as such.

OOM dictates how fast you get called for physical and medical. Also, when you're signed off, the higher your OOM is the quicker you get offered your place in Templemore.

There's people from the previous campaign that have had the medical and physical done for over a year and still aren't vetted. Vetting takes the longest and has no impact on when you're called for the physical/medical.

Well I just mean I wasn’t in the initially group of people that was called forward for stage 2/3 and so on! I was in the second group of people to be called to stage 2 and then interview! So that’s what I mean by batch 1 and 2 :)

Have you completed everything and are just waiting on an offer yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wizardofdodge

Polly26 wrote: »
    Invited to open day on 5th Jan, and I’m mid 100’s

What's this opening day for?
    Are ye talking about induction week to start in January or is this prior to the physical?
    The garda January 2019 thread says that the call out has been postponed for january and is instead likely to be April or a little sooner depending on the numbers they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Well I was up at the open day on the 24th Nov and im OOM 53 and 2 other girls I met there on the day were OOM 5 and 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Well I just mean I wasn’t in the initially group of people that was called forward for stage 2/3 and so on! I was in the second group of people to be called to stage 2 and then interview! So that’s what I mean by batch 1 and 2 :)

Have you completed everything and are just waiting on an offer yourself?
    Ah right. The first batch of interviewees was from OOM 1-136, and we had our open day last month. It looks like the second batch goes from about 137 to mid-400s, which is a bit strange. You'd think there would be similar numbers in each batch.

No I'm from this campaign, my OOM is 2. I've already met the sergeant and am waiting now for the super and medical/physical. I really wish the process was faster! Hopefully a good few of us will be at least eligible for an offer in April/May.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

All I'll say is be prepared to be fcked around.

There's people from 2016 and 17 campaigns still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

How are ye all training for the PCT? I'm pretty confident on all aspects except the bleep test. That part is killing me at the present. Can't get past 5.5 and I'm 25 so I need to get to 7.6. Any recommendations on how to improve this? Trying so hard but my legs just give out. I'm called to templemore on 26th for the Introduction day. OOM 300's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    How are ye all training for the PCT? I'm pretty confident on all aspects except the bleep test. That part is killing me at the present. Can't get past 5.5 and I'm 25 so I need to get to 7.6. Any recommendations on how to improve this? Trying so hard but my legs just give out. I'm called to templemore on 26th for the Introduction day. OOM 300's.

How much cardio are you doing and what kind?

Witcher wrote: »
    How much cardio are you doing and what kind?

I'm doing 3k runs, I do Xfit classes for stamina and I am trying to do the beep test once a week. I can do the beep test on a treadmill so I guess it's just harder with all the turns. I am trying to do 10m sprints with prowler 10kg weight on and off now with sharp turns to try to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭droptheworld

I would use the prowler to mimic the push pull machine.

How often are you running?

You'd want to be at it 3/4 days a week at the maximum speed you will reach in the test..about 11.5 for level 7.6. I'd up it to 5k too. What you need is speed and endurance. If you're down running at 8km/h or so for 3k you're not hitting where you need to.

I'd be looking at 5k 3/4 nights a week running at 12km/h because time is not on your side atm and you need to push it. If you can't do 5k straight at that pace you'll need to do 1k splits until you can do 1.5k splits and so on.

Some people don't like running and will use bikes etc. you need to be carrying your own weight to progress atm. You'll be running like fcuk once you're in the college so those people are going to have to learn to like it quick.

How often are you running?

You'd want to be at it 3/4 days a week at the maximum speed you will reach in the test..about 11.5 for level 7.6. I'd up it to 5k too. What you need is speed and endurance. If you're down running at 8km/h or so for 3k you're not hitting where you need to.

I'd be looking at 5k 3/4 nights a week running at 12km/h because time is not on your side atm and you need to push it. If you can't do 5k straight at that pace you'll need to do 1k splits until you can do 1.5k splits and so on.

I do it 5 days a week. I have improved immensely. I was never a runner and up until a month ago could barely run 500m. Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to up it. I have been pushing it fairly hard though already. Doesn't help that the weather is so ****ty.
    Has anyone who has been to templemore already got called for PCT? Wondering for a rough average of time of how long I have after the day in templemore.

I do it 5 days a week. I have improved immensely. I was never a runner and up until a month ago could barely run 500m. Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to up it. I have been pushing it fairly hard though already. Doesn't help that the weather is so ****ty.
    Has anyone who has been to templemore already got called for PCT? Wondering for a rough average of time of how long I have after the day in templemore.

You'd be better running on a treadmill than outside atm, outside you'll tend to ease off on the pace. With the treadmill you'll set a pace and you'll have to run or you're going off the back of it. You're already making good progress for a months work. You seem committed to it so just keep on track and up the intensity when you can. If you have nights where you can only do 3k @ 10km/h so be it it's better than 0k, you'll have your up and your down nights.

People will tell you a treadmill won't work, first hand I can tell you it will, I couldn't run for sh1t at one time and it worked for me. Those people are usually good runners to begin with and can't fathom using a treadmill.The key for you at the moment is miles under your belt and quality miles meaning the right speeds. If you build a good gas tank then the turns won't be an issue...the problems arise when people get tired in their first 3/4 levels and then when they need to press at the end there's nothing there.

Go pound the sh1t out of the treadmill flr a few weeks then sharpen your edge using 20m sprints etc. as some people will tell you to use. Sprint training is good but you need to have a basis of fitness for them to enhance or all they'll do is wind you.

You'd be better running on a treadmill than outside atm, outside you'll tend to ease off on the pace. With the treadmill you'll set a pace and you'll have to run or you're going off the back of it. You're already making good progress for a months work. You seem committed to it so just keep on track and up the intensity when you can. If you have nights where you can only do 3k @ 10km/h so be it it's better than 0k, you'll have your up and your down nights.

People will tell you a treadmill won't work, first hand I can tell you it will, I couldn't run for sh1t at one time and it worked for me. Those people are usually good runners to begin with and can't fathom using a treadmill.The key for you at the moment is miles under your belt and quality miles meaning the right speeds. If you build a good gas tank then the turns won't be an issue...the problems arise when people get tired in their first 3/4 levels and then when they need to press at the end there's nothing there.

Go pound the sh1t out of the treadmill flr a few weeks then sharpen your edge using 20m sprints etc. as some people will tell you to use. Sprint training is good but you need to have a basis of fitness for them to enhance or all they'll do is wind you.

Great advice. Really appreciate it. Will give it a go for the next few weeks and hope I make it through the first time around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

Also disappointed to hear that there will only be 600 not 800 taken in 2019 , with the first group being April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭fmp3d26og54yi9

Gadaves wrote: »
    Also disappointed to hear that there will only be 600 not 800 taken in 2019 , with the first group being April.

Ya just read that article in the irishmirror :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Great advice. Really appreciate it. Will give it a go for the next few weeks and hope I make it through the first time around!!

Have you tried any running apps I’ve gone from not being able to run a full km to almost knocking out 5km in 4 weeks using the couch to 10K app on my phone. Recently downloaded the push up and sit up apps to help with that. I’m really struggling to get my weight down I’ve lost 2 stone but need lose another 3 so I’m running boxing and training as much as I can lately fitness is definitely improving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Have you tried any running apps I’ve gone from not being able to run a full km to almost knocking out 5km in 4 weeks using the couch to 10K app on my phone. Recently downloaded the push up and sit up apps to help with that. I’m really struggling to get my weight down I’ve lost 2 stone but need lose another 3 so I’m running boxing and training as much as I can lately fitness is definitely improving

Make sure you are focusing on your food and eating g in a calories deficit. If you want to continue to consistently lose weight that is the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

bottar1 wrote: »

Make sure you are focusing on your food and eating g in a calories deficit. If you want to continue to consistently lose weight that is the only way.

Cheers - I’m using MyFitnessPal to check calories atm but it’s so hard when your work in an office in December surrounded by quality street lol - I’m definitely getting fitter but there’s aspects of the fitness test I’ll really struggle with unless I get my weight down never mind the medical part lol

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭paddyCPW

Trainer in Templemore said the reason for that was due to lack of numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Cheers - I’m using MyFitnessPal to check calories atm but it’s so hard when your work in an office in December surrounded by quality street lol - I’m definitely getting fitter but there’s aspects of the fitness test I’ll really struggle with unless I get my weight down never mind the medical part lol

It never gets easier, you have to make a choice every single time you want to eat something, or decide not to eat something. Same way even if you are running for a year, it's always a choice you have to make to go out for that run, it never gets any easier!

But you will feel better and train yourself to be disciplined! And you can learn a lot by tracking for a long time about what nutrients are in certain foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

paddyCPW wrote: »

The number of applicants? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

Oruam wrote: »

Yeah plenty of applicants alright but doesn't mean that they are through all the stages

Yeah plenty of applicants alright but doesn't mean that they are through all the stages

I get that, I just find it strange that only a few of us are left

Yeah, a lot have applicants fail the PCT and hold up with vetting.

• Advertisement

Surprised by that, the article I read made it seem like the reason was to use funds elsewhere.

Surprised by that, the article I read made it seem like the reason was to use funds elsewhere.

I don't think they would tell the public they are struggling for numbers.

I don't think they would tell the public they are struggling for numbers.

True enough

Yeah, a lot have applicants fail the PCT and hold up with vetting.

Woah!
    I still haven't got invited to the medical nor the PCT, I'm starting wondering if I should contact them

Woah!
    I still haven't got invited to the medical nor the PCT, I'm starting wondering if I should contact them

What competition are you in?

What competition are you in?

This year's campaign. The most recent one. I had the interview in October

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be calling them yet, still early days yet. People get a bit over eager with these campaigns...you'll hear in time. Nobody has got PCT dates yet. You'll hear in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

Does anybody know of anyone that has moved abroad while waiting on stage 4 and after? I potentially have a chance at some decent and relievent work in the UK but wondering would it go against me? Stage 4 onwards can take along time .

I wouldn't be calling them yet, still early days yet. People get a bit over eager with these campaigns...you'll hear in time. Nobody has got PCT dates yet. You'll hear in January.

That's actually what I was thinking. Thanks
    Jecz wrote: »
    Does anybody know of anyone that has moved abroad while waiting on stage 4 and after? I potentially have a chance at some decent and relievent work in the UK but wondering would it go against me? Stage 4 onwards can take along time .

I live abroad, and I guess it isn't an issue for the Garda. It might be a little more demanding for you, but if you can get a few days off work to go to Dublin and Templemore, I don't see why it should be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

That's actually what I was thinking. Thanks

I live abroad, and I guess it isn't an issue for the Garda. It might be a little more demanding for you, but if you can get a few days off work to go to Dublin and Templemore, I don't see why it should be a problem

I agree with this. As long as you get time off it isn't a bad idea to continue living life as if you aren't getting in. It is always good to have options and you could get some valuable opportunities. If you end up joining AGS you will be that much more dedicated and experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

For people that recently passed their interview and let's say fitness and medical goes well, would you consider it being too optimistic for looking for placement in Templemore in late 2019 or would it be more towards 2020?

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

Hey guys.
    Has anyone done work experience in a Garda Station in Cork?? I’ve to do work exp as part of my security studies course and because I’m at stage 4 of the Garda trainee campaign I’d love to do it in a Garda Station. I’ve tried my local station and also Anglesea street but they’re only taking transition year students.

Got a call from the local seargent this evening, does this mean vetting is done or do they arrange the meeting anyway?

Got a call from the local seargent this evening, does this mean vetting is done or do they arrange the meeting anyway?

Cool, when was your interview?

Cool, when was your interview?

November 6th OOM 380

November 6th OOM 380

That's quick then, I was end of November and just over 400

That's quick then, I was end of November and just over 400

Ya it is quick, thats why I wasn't sure if the vetting could be done this soon and if they just schedule the meeting regardless of whether it's outstanding or not.

Vetting isn't closed off fully till after the last stage of recruitment. You also meet with the super.

Vetting isn't closed off fully till after the last stage of recruitment. You also meet with the super.

Ah ok cool

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Hi guys, passed my interview that I had at the start of December, does anyone know when I will be called for medical and physical roughly? And if passed would I be called for templemore next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eimear180

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience of being from a Northern county and waiting to get called by super? Where do we go for that?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement