Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is everyone heading this year??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

edson wrote: »
    Try heading to Chamonix, it's only an hour from Geneva, it's a class spot with a wide variety of slopes, and great nightlife too! Plus there are some nice high pistes! I was there in 2010 and I loved it, i might be going there for Paddy's weekend!

Yeah I stayed in Chamonix a few years ago, don't be surprised if your skis/board get stuck in Heathrow. The man tasked with driving my snowboard from GVA to Chamonix spoke no english and didn't know the town (and our group had no French speakers), it wasn't funny when he couldn't find us in the town and was about to give up and go home! Turned out ok in the end.

The resort is good (big, varied and good snowpark) but the price of beer is enough to dissuade me from going back though (or to any other French/Swiss resort).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ thanks guys but am headed to Port du soleil somewhere as have friends staying there so want to ski with them. They booked a while ago though so are all sorted. I left it too late to book in with them so am going it alone but meeting up with them to ski all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Lambasted wrote: »
    Heading to söll on feb 4th. First time in Austria but 7th year in a row I think. Snowboarding of course........:eek:

See you there :D:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Heading to Livigno next week got a good deal, can't wait havent been skiing in a few years, hope I remember how :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Going to Zell am See tomorrow for a week:) looks like they are getting some nice powder all week. First time there, I've being to Heavenly in Lake Tahoe a few times and also France, so I'm looking forward to this trip:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

6 more sleeps! Getting very exctied :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

olaola wrote: »
    6 more sleeps! Getting very exctied :)

5 for me and 20+cms of snow forecast for the Friday night before we arrive:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Heading to Mayrhofen, Austria, for some freestyle lessons.

Wasn't away last season but at the end of the season before felt very confident on a board. Was riding switch confidently, and was even starting to do some butters and tricks. Was up in Kilteernan last thursday...shocking, forgot everything learned...like It was my first time. Went up again last night for a lesson, by the end of it I felt like I was linking turns well enough and in control at least. Fell a good few times over the night though, and really sore this morning! Hopefully the snow will be more forgiving!

Have made a mental note, never to miss a season again...ever!!!

2 MORE SLEEPS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

6 more sleeps for me too!! Off to St.Johann... Can't wait!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

5 more sleeps for me will be on the slopes in Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein this time Saturday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 phjm

Was in Kaltenbach-Hoch Fuegen in Zillertal for the day yesterday.
    Great conditions, amazing sunshine, and surprisingly quiet esp on the Hoch Fuegen side of the resort.

TWO MORE SLEEEPS!!

Amazing snow in the Alps at the moment, a 'snowfall of a generation'.
    I'm so excited, and my morning coffee might just push me over the edge.

1 more sleep!! :-D

This time tomorrow ill be picking up the rental gear!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Rew wrote: »
    1 more sleep!! :-D

This time tomorrow ill be picking up the rental gear!

Your not going to be getting much sleep between now and then then.

Some change in the weather we have now through Europe compared to the predictions of skiing down mud near the beginning of the thread. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

heading to Soll early tomorrow morning, just packing the last of my gear and I'm all set, COME ON......

dylbert wrote: »
    heading to Soll early tomorrow morning, just packing the last of my gear and I'm all set, COME ON......

I've been packed since Weds night. The weekend cannot come quick enough.

robinph wrote: »
    Your not going to be getting much sleep between now and then then.

I know and I had a terrible nights sleep last night and I was doing server maintenance the night before till 4am so im wrecked...

Our flight takes off at 5am tomorrow morn so airport for around 3am... :eek:

8.25 landing local time, hour transfer from airport to resort (prob more as its coach and there will be other drop offs).

CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Snowing a bit ATM:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037

I know and I had a terrible nights sleep last night and I was doing server maintenance the night before till 4am so im wrecked...

8.25 landing local time, hour transfer from airport to resort (prob more as its coach and there will be other drop offs).

CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Snowing a bit ATM:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037

Similar to ourselves - We’re flying out at 6am on Sunday, transfer direct to accommodation (should be about 1hr) so hopefully should be on the slopes by 1-2pm.

Must be the same flight as us.

• Advertisement

Must be the same flight as us.

Salzberg with Crystal?

yep :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After spending the night in the airport waiting for the early flight I was just too knackered to be bothered with hitting the slopes for a half day on arrival. Just had a wander round town to get my bearings and then get a good kip ready for first lift the next day. Was probably a couple of hours between landing at Salzberg before the bus left anyway as there were flights in from Cork, Dublin, Gatwick, Birmingham, Bristol and somewhere else all in close succession. So there are a LOT of people faffing around looking for their bags and busses.

One thing to note is that if you're thinking of using the loo immediately on landing you might be best to go before the seat belt sign comes on on the plane as it is very crowded in arrivals and getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

After spending the night in the airport waiting for the early flight I was just too knackered to be bothered with hitting the slopes for a half day on arrival. Just had a wander round town to get my bearings and then get a good kip ready for first lift the next day. Was probably a couple of hours between landing at Salzberg before the bus left anyway as there were flights in from Cork, Dublin, Gatwick, Birmingham, Bristol and somewhere else all in close succession. So there are a LOT of people faffing around looking for their bags and busses.

One thing to note is that if you're thinking of using the loo immediately on landing you might be best to go before the seat belt sign comes on on the plane as it is very crowded in arrivals and getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

I'm a bit worried about all this but im also hard core enough to not care and plough onto the slopes regardless and die of exhaustion that night ;)

We'll play it by ear anyway.

Cant't wait after the **** snow in the 3 Valleys last year its going to be like night and day skiing this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

getting through passport took as while before you even get to a loo as well. :o

Took us well over 30 minutes to get through Sat 6th

juke wrote: »
    Took us well over 30 minutes to get through Sat 6th

We were in the same queue. :D

• Advertisement

yep :D

See you there so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

We were in the same queue. :D

Advantage being bags were waiting for us, so no taxi delay :D

Anyone flying out Sunday morning to Geneva?

Salzberg with Crystal?

About half our crew will be on that flight, other half (myself included) will be on the 10.50 flight... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Let us know how it is, i'm heading out on the 4th Feb :D:D

• Advertisement

I'm just back from Morzine. Epic misery :( How am I going to wait until next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

3 weeks in Canada, Banff, Kicking Horse, Kimberly and Fernie, 2 weeks to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SlinkyKittin

In Filzmoos, 40 mins outside Salzburg. Arrived Saturday, fantastic snow, -13 tomorrow daytime temp, think its -20 at the moment, but am snuggled up under the duvet :p legs are aching, but looking forward to day 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

In Filzmoos, 40 mins outside Salzburg. Arrived Saturday, fantastic snow, -13 tomorrow daytime temp, think its -20 at the moment, but am snuggled up under the duvet :p legs are aching, but looking forward to day 3

There is nothing as comfortable as an Austrian bed and duvet post skiing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Woooooohoooooooo! Heading to St Johann soon, can't wait... in preparation, have been reading about Max's bar, and been playing with the awesome 3D piste map and vids over at http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/ :)

Only issue is, I just can't decide whether to ski or board exclusively (and book the hire and lessons for the week via TopFlight in advance) or do both (and hire for 3 days each when I get there and take the odd private lesson)...

The OH will be skiing, she's semi-beginner (will be moving on to parallel turns I expect). I've ski'd before (15 yrs ago) but am only semi-beginner at boarding which I've tried a few times in recent years, and would like to get better at!

Assume I can just decide when I get there, and be flexible, without paying over the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

If you only get to go once a year or less I'd say pick one and stick with it. Sounds like your heart is with boarding, why not just go boarding? You can still go down the same slopes just having more fun! The main point is no point being crap at both sports pick one and try to advance each year.

davenewt wrote: »
    Woooooohoooooooo! Heading to St Johann soon, can't wait... in preparation, have been reading about Max's bar, and been playing with the awesome 3D piste map and vids over at http://www.bergfex.com/stjohann-tirol/ :)

Only issue is, I just can't decide whether to ski or board exclusively (and book the hire and lessons for the week via TopFlight in advance) or do both (and hire for 3 days each when I get there and take the odd private lesson)...

The OH will be skiing, she's semi-beginner (will be moving on to parallel turns I expect). I've ski'd before (15 yrs ago) but am only semi-beginner at boarding which I've tried a few times in recent years, and would like to get better at!

Assume I can just decide when I get there, and be flexible, without paying over the odds?

If you are boarding, i'd recommend a day in Steinplatte. It has much longer, wider runs and plenty more boarders out than you will find in St.Johann! There's a free shuttle bus (30mins journey) that runs at 9am and 10am from outside the main slope (down from Max's). Don't miss Max's inside between 5.30 and 9, it gets mental and watch out for the schnapps/tequila coming down through the roof!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be boarding! :) Hope Steinplatte is covered by the area lift pass!

davenewt wrote: »
    Cheers guys. Looks like I'll be boarding! :) Hope Steinplatte is covered by the area lift pass!

Yeah it's covered by Schneewinkel lift pass, which you get through TopFlight. That gives you access to 4/5 slopes around the area (all need a bus to get to from St.Johann, but all free shuttle buses). You'll have to pay extra if you want the pass to cover Kitzbuhel, but if you're doing lessons and only there for a week you won't have the time to get on the slopes there so its not worth spending the extra bit of money on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭tech

Just back from Val Di Fassa Italy, had a great week out there, Very good snow conditions and all runs open all week, Very cold there -17 1st few days.

the Costs

Dublin - Milan Bergamo Ryan Air €125 inc bag and taxes
    Apparment for 8 € 140
    Car Hire / Tolls / Diesel / Parking in Dublin airport € 127
    Ski Hire- Boots, Skis, Helmet 6 days €63 for Intermediate
    Ski Pass , €208 or €241 for SuperSki Pass

€676
    sweet as :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Off to the PDS tomorrow! Looks like we are in for a top up of the white stuff Sunday through to Tuesday then hopefully blue skies! Ahhh a beer up the mountain in the sun after a days skiing, bliss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

Chamonix in the morning.

15 degrees during the day apparently.
    it's going to be a big change from the -20 degrees in Morzine 4 weeks ago.

8cm of snow due on sunday too. can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Val D'Isere on Sat, stoked, can't wait.

Advertisement