Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is everyone heading this year??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I'm off to Livigno on the 31st for a week then probably Morzine in either paddys week or easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

I'm off to Livigno on the 31st Dec' for a week then another week in Morzine on either paddys week or easter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 dannyjoy

Kmc123 wrote: »
    I suppose the time is upon us to be planning this years ski trip so here it goes!! Where is everybody heading this year and when?? Am unfortunate enough not to be slippling on the skis this year however I fancied finding out where everyone else was heading!! Post away!!:D

I am going to Ireland, i love to travel during this festive season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

la plagne feb 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Back to Val d'Isere tomorrow for two weeks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Risoul in two weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just moved to New Mexico, so just to make you all jealous :) I'm gonna be heading to my local resort (six miles drive) Sandia Peak (currently 61" base !!) and then probably a week in Taos, NM.

As soon as my damn boots and gear come out of a ship!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Saalbach (Austria) for a week on Feb 25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Looks like its going to be st anton !!
    11th jan for 9 nights,
    Only concern is its out of our league, we are heading with 2 others who want the apre ski, we are piste skiers, i am confident on reds, black as long as conditions are good but hope to start doing some easy offpiste, my wife reds if conditions are good.
    We intend to get lessons there, any advice or tips.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gavinwavin

MadsL wrote: »
    Just moved to New Mexico, so just to make you all jealous :) I'm gonna be heading to my local resort (six miles drive) Sandia Peak (currently 61" base !!) and then probably a week in Taos, NM.

As soon as my damn boots and gear come out of a ship!!!

Base in Revelstoke is 160cm, there's been 15 feet so far this season. Should be another 15cm tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Going to Val Thorens on Saturday for a week, cant wait.

any hints/tips from anyone that has been there before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

zefer wrote: »
    Going to Val Thorens on Saturday for a week, cant wait.

any hints/tips from anyone that has been there before?
    Depends on the level your at but assuming you have been a few times before:

3 Valleys is huge, get out and ski as much of it as you can. Throw an eye over the piste maps ahead of time. VT is big open sunny pistes with some steep reds and blacks but plenty of everything else. Plenty of off piste options if the snow is good (which it is ATM).

When you cross over to Meribel your into areas with trees and valleys with pistes on both sides so the shaded pistes will move during the day.

Some really nice long runs down to Courchevel. Seeing the airport of at Courchevel is mad, as the piste's are right beside it and its up a bloody mountain!

Courchevel is very expensive for food and drink, we paid a fortune for 2 hot chocolates there without realising.

Le Foile Deuce is a bar up the slopes in VT, there is a permanent party going on there, well worth a visit but beer is expensive.

Le Rond Point is a bar on the slopes over in Meribel, with savage apres ski but you would need to bus it back to VT so check out the story with that ahead of time. We used the busses, they were great and free. No harm getting your head around the busses in case you miss the last lifts back towards VT at any stage.

I thought lunch was a lot more reasonable over in VT then anywhere else, but we got burgers, pizza etc for €10 or so in Mottaret and Meribel. Rond Point does a savage burger and is a popular lunch spot.

Snow parks are great over there, there is a big one between VT and Meribel which is prob the best of them. It had a jumping air mat when we were there.

Go up to the top of Saulire for an amazing view and to see the scariest black I've ever come across Grand Couloire.

My GoPro vids from last jan/feb are on my youtube in my sig, a few of them end at Rond Point and a couple sittin having a beer in Le Folie Deuce.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Red Mountain in BC for the last two weeks of January, woop woop. Might stay there longer depending on how stuff goes (am a student, so could "distance learn" for a while I reckon :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

17 more sleeps to Morzine!

WAHOOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Soll for my first ski trip in 2 days.
    Looking forward to it.

Trying to decide between Saalbach and Obertauern for a snowboarding trip. My only concern about Saalbach is that most of the slopes are south facing resulting in short lived powder when the daytime temperature raises above zero. Powder freeriding is my top priority... any suggestions welcome :)

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Trying to decide between Saalbach and Obertauern for a snowboarding trip. My only concern about Saalbach is that most of the slopes are south facing resulting in short lived powder when the daytime temperature raises above zero. Powder freeriding is my top priority... any suggestions welcome :)

One of the lads is in Kitzbul ATM and is ploughing though nothing but powder

Rew wrote: »
    One of the lads is in Kitzbul ATM and is ploughing though nothing but powder

Yeah Kitz is supposed to be good when conditions are good but I've never been prepared to risk it due to low altitude (see attached snow history)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TheTubes wrote: »
    Soll for my first ski trip in 2 days.
    Looking forward to it.

Snap.

Well not the first ski trip bit, but the rest of it. :D

Edit: Think we'll be doing alright for snow now as well, despite it being a bit bare a few weeks back:
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/6day/mid
    http://en.skiinfo.com/snowreport/skiwelt-wilder-kaiser-brixental-EATXBRIXENIM-100-en.jhtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just booked Val D'Isere for a week. Going next Sunday. Hopefully some of that snow is still there

• Advertisement

Yeah Kitz is supposed to be good when conditions are good but I've never been prepared to risk it due to low altitude (see attached snow history)

Its closed today due to blizzard, so snow will be amazing when that blows over. Unfortunately my mate is coming back in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

35cm of powder today in Saalbach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Heading to Serre Chevalier this weekend, very excited! Staying in Villeneuve. First time in Serre Chevalier, anyone been before? Most reviews online seem great so fingers crossed! Anyone have any pointers or recommendations of restaurants, lunch spots on the slope etc etc??

johnk123 wrote: »
    Heading to Serre Chevalier this weekend, very excited! Staying in Villeneuve. First time in Serre Chevalier, anyone been before? Most reviews online seem great so fingers crossed! Anyone have any pointers or recommendations of restaurants, lunch spots on the slope etc etc??

My first trip was to there staying next door in Chantemerle. If you have been skiing before get the more expensive area pass and make the most of the different areas. Ski bus runs between all the towns so if you miss the lifts just grab that back. There was go-karting on snow in Chantemerle which was great craic dont know if its still there. The blue run from the very top of Serre Chevalier runs along the ridge and is spectacular with sheer drops on both sides. There is a long steep black in to Chantemerle which is pretty nice run as well but do it early in the day while the snow is still good.

Big open powder runs are over toward Monteir with tree runs over towards Serre Che.

PisteMap:

http://www.serrechevalier.com/skimap/skimap.jpg

Cheers Rew! Going to google that snow go karting now, sounds like it could definitely be a bit of craic!

Have noted those two runs you mentioned. We have the more expensive passes booked. Going with 5 friends who have all skied before a good few times so looking forward to it.

Had read some good reviews online recently about this place too, so fingers crossed anyway!

johnk123 wrote: »
    Cheers Rew! Going to google that snow go karting now, sounds like it could definitely be a bit of craic!

Have noted those two runs you mentioned. We have the more expensive passes booked. Going with 5 friends who have all skied before a good few times so looking forward to it.

Had read some good reviews online recently about this place too, so fingers crossed anyway!

I really enjoyed it, we got fresh snow a day or 2 in so made all the diff!

We ate lunch, most days at the top of that black I mentioned, standard enough fare and prices. As I was a newbe at the time I didn't venture that far but my brothers went all over and had a great time. The area is big not you should be able to cover it all in a few days then hit your favorite spots again.

Where are you flying into? We went into Grenoble, long, long transfer via hire car.

I really enjoyed it, we got fresh snow a day or 2 in so made all the diff!

We ate lunch, most days at the top of that black I mentioned, standard enough fare and prices. As I was a newbe at the time I didn't venture that far but my brothers went all over and had a great time. The area is big not you should be able to cover it all in a few days then hit your favorite spots again.

Where are you flying into? We went into Grenoble, long, long transfer via hire car.
    If we got fresh snow we'd be laughing!

Flying to Turin and then across. I checked Google maps yesterday and it listed the time by car as over two hours I think... but we'll see!!

I'm always cautious of travel times as I remember on my first ski holiday ever we were all expecting a bus journey to last "Just over an hour and half"....... it took 4 hours.... Granted there was a blizzard and the bus got a puncture, but still :) ha!

Wasn't the best first experience of skiing, but when your about 10 years old it doesn't make much difference! Well, until the batteries in the Gameboy died....

My mistake it was Turin we flew into and it was def 2 hours or more. We stopped for grub to break it up though. There are loads of tolls so if your renting a car have change ready. Should be good lots of snow in the alps ATM it seems, hopping its gonna keep snowing for the next 2 weeks before we hit Austria on the 21st!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Already back from this years holiday. Another 55 weeks or so to go before I get away again.

:(

Was in Zermatt, snow was good (reportedly) but I wasn't able to ski due to minding someone with a broken arm. :(:(

Won't be back there for a long time - savage prices, maniac drivers, they don't clear the paths even on the main shopping street, I could go on . . . It's back to Austria for me next year.

z

• Advertisement

My mistake it was Turin we flew into and it was def 2 hours or more. We stopped for grub to break it up though. There are loads of tolls so if your renting a car have change ready. Should be good lots of snow in the alps ATM it seems, hopping its gonna keep snowing for the next 2 weeks before we hit Austria on the 21st!
    I'll be sure to report back on how it was!! Very excited now... bags all packed.... :D

Advertisement