Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is everyone heading this year??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

Heading to söll on feb 4th. First time in Austria but 7th year in a row I think. Snowboarding of course........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Sherpa.jpg

Val thorens seems to have got a good dump overnight. This is outside the hotel we are going to in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Hi Guys, I'm looking for tips/advice/prices/social life etc for a ski holiday for the coming Xmas/New years 2012.

This will be our First ski trip, all adults are all beginner skiers, group of approx 10 people looking for good soft snow, preferable to stay in a cabin or chalet. Not fussy on location once theres good snow, as I know all locations would not all have good snow at this time of year some. Also I would like some sort of social life at night time and of course reasonable prices if possible.

I know I'm looking for a lot, but you all seem to know what your talking about so your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers in advance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Looks to have been plenty of snow falling in Soll over the last couple of days and it's now snowing lightly in the town. Too knackered after the trip here to be rushing out to the slopes today though. Just try not to drink too much beer today and get up for the first lift tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sherpa.jpg

Val thorens seems to have got a good dump overnight. This is outside the hotel we are going to in 2 weeks.

Hadn't snowed in a month when I was there last year, its going to be amazing with that much snow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Now it is properly dumping snow in the town. Just been for a wander to try and find a bar with free WiFi as my hotel wanted to charge me by the hour, but I am prepared to pay for beers in exchange for internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Booked the flight yesterday with Swiss air to Geneva €150 with 23kgs of bag allowance and free ski carriage. Not direct but for that price I am happy for it to take a couple of hours more (the included g+t I will be sipping on board helps too!!).

Heading to Port du Soleil somewhere. Will look for a place to stay in the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

Val Thorens on the 28th January and I've never been so excited! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

flikflak wrote: »
    Booked the flight yesterday with Swiss air to Geneva €150 with 23kgs of bag allowance and free ski carriage. Not direct but for that price I am happy for it to take a couple of hours more (the included g+t I will be sipping on board helps too!!).

Heading to Port du Soleil somewhere. Will look for a place to stay in the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it now!!

Try heading to Chamonix, it's only an hour from Geneva, it's a class spot with a wide variety of slopes, and great nightlife too! Plus there are some nice high pistes! I was there in 2010 and I loved it, i might be going there for Paddy's weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

zagmund wrote: »
    Already back from this years holiday. Another 55 weeks or so to go before I get away again.

:(

Was in Zermatt, snow was good (reportedly) but I wasn't able to ski due to minding someone with a broken arm. :(:(

Won't be back there for a long time - savage prices, maniac drivers, they don't clear the paths even on the main shopping street, I could go on . . . It's back to Austria for me next year.

z

Thanks that makes me feel better about going to Austria as usual, I've wanted to go to Zermatt for ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

edson wrote: »
    Try heading to Chamonix, it's only an hour from Geneva, it's a class spot with a wide variety of slopes, and great nightlife too! Plus there are some nice high pistes! I was there in 2010 and I loved it, i might be going there for Paddy's weekend!

Yeah I stayed in Chamonix a few years ago, don't be surprised if your skis/board get stuck in Heathrow. The man tasked with driving my snowboard from GVA to Chamonix spoke no english and didn't know the town (and our group had no French speakers), it wasn't funny when he couldn't find us in the town and was about to give up and go home! Turned out ok in the end.

The resort is good (big, varied and good snowpark) but the price of beer is enough to dissuade me from going back though (or to any other French/Swiss resort).

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ thanks guys but am headed to Port du soleil somewhere as have friends staying there so want to ski with them. They booked a while ago though so are all sorted. I left it too late to book in with them so am going it alone but meeting up with them to ski all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Lambasted wrote: »
    Heading to söll on feb 4th. First time in Austria but 7th year in a row I think. Snowboarding of course........:eek:

See you there :D:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Heading to Livigno next week got a good deal, can't wait havent been skiing in a few years, hope I remember how :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

Going to Zell am See tomorrow for a week:) looks like they are getting some nice powder all week. First time there, I've being to Heavenly in Lake Tahoe a few times and also France, so I'm looking forward to this trip:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

6 more sleeps! Getting very exctied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

olaola wrote: »
    6 more sleeps! Getting very exctied :)

5 for me and 20+cms of snow forecast for the Friday night before we arrive:D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Heading to Mayrhofen, Austria, for some freestyle lessons.

Wasn't away last season but at the end of the season before felt very confident on a board. Was riding switch confidently, and was even starting to do some butters and tricks. Was up in Kilteernan last thursday...shocking, forgot everything learned...like It was my first time. Went up again last night for a lesson, by the end of it I felt like I was linking turns well enough and in control at least. Fell a good few times over the night though, and really sore this morning! Hopefully the snow will be more forgiving!

Have made a mental note, never to miss a season again...ever!!!

2 MORE SLEEPS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

6 more sleeps for me too!! Off to St.Johann... Can't wait!

5 more sleeps for me will be on the slopes in Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein this time Saturday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 phjm

Was in Kaltenbach-Hoch Fuegen in Zillertal for the day yesterday.
    Great conditions, amazing sunshine, and surprisingly quiet esp on the Hoch Fuegen side of the resort.

TWO MORE SLEEEPS!!

Amazing snow in the Alps at the moment, a 'snowfall of a generation'.
    I'm so excited, and my morning coffee might just push me over the edge.

1 more sleep!! :-D

This time tomorrow ill be picking up the rental gear!

Rew wrote: »
    1 more sleep!! :-D

This time tomorrow ill be picking up the rental gear!

Your not going to be getting much sleep between now and then then.

Some change in the weather we have now through Europe compared to the predictions of skiing down mud near the beginning of the thread. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

heading to Soll early tomorrow morning, just packing the last of my gear and I'm all set, COME ON......

dylbert wrote: »
    heading to Soll early tomorrow morning, just packing the last of my gear and I'm all set, COME ON......

I've been packed since Weds night. The weekend cannot come quick enough.

robinph wrote: »
    Your not going to be getting much sleep between now and then then.

I know and I had a terrible nights sleep last night and I was doing server maintenance the night before till 4am so im wrecked...

Our flight takes off at 5am tomorrow morn so airport for around 3am... :eek:

8.25 landing local time, hour transfer from airport to resort (prob more as its coach and there will be other drop offs).

CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Snowing a bit ATM:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037

I know and I had a terrible nights sleep last night and I was doing server maintenance the night before till 4am so im wrecked...

8.25 landing local time, hour transfer from airport to resort (prob more as its coach and there will be other drop offs).

CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Snowing a bit ATM:

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-hofgastein_w101036

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-dorfgastein_w101035

http://www.gastein.com/de/service/wetter-webcams/360-webcam-bad-gastein_w101037

Similar to ourselves - We’re flying out at 6am on Sunday, transfer direct to accommodation (should be about 1hr) so hopefully should be on the slopes by 1-2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Must be the same flight as us.

• Advertisement

dylbert wrote: »
    Must be the same flight as us.

Salzberg with Crystal?

Advertisement