Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

fritzelly wrote: »
    That shovel will be getting repurposed as a sled

The charts from netweather for snow prediction - are those inches or what?

Millimeters of precipitation falling iin the timeframe (3 hrs in the netweather charts)). To convert it into snow depth you can multiply by 10 for wet snow up to about 40 for very dry snow.

Going by current charts, most snow would be around 20:1 ratio, so 1mm precip = 2 cm of snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

I've a bad feeling North Louth may miss the fun if its lake effect snow with a north easterly wind since that particular wind direction seems to be getting a fair mention. Cooley/Mourne hills will block any such precipitation. May be relying on a frontal snow event possible later in the week.
    I'm in Castlebellingham, it better snow with all the preparations I have done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rougies wrote: »
    Millimeters of precipitation falling iin the timeframe. To convert it into snow depth you can multiply by 10 for wet snow up to about 40 for very dry snow.

Going by current charts, most snow would be around 20:1 ratio, so 1mm precip = 2 cm of snow.

Ohh happy days if its so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Really hope it snows in cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How would this compare to 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Really hope it snows in cork.

You’d be amazed how well ye could do. Back in 2010 my dad’s family who live on the Beara Peninsula (basically the last place you’d expect to get any snow from a northern or easterly direction, and also one of the mildest places in the country), got a few cms out of it if I recall.

I wouldn’t write anything off at this stage.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Currently it's looking colder and much snowier.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

EPIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Colder? We had -15 in midlands in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm certainly not complaining with those charts but I can understand people for wanting to as the country will come to a standstill :P.

KWxNdu1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

But only for a week or so most likely. Although recent runs have been trending to the more prolonged.

I've heard stories about 1947, 1963 and 1982, and now people round these parts are saying we may have a new rival for those. Beyond excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I would hesitate to say colder overall, but possibly on par for snowiness.

bfe5b52cfe5ccc52e32184085e584ca4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

gabeeg wrote: »
    The thing that has me worried now is that it's gonna be too severe to get out and walk about in.

I'll be out running. Have county road championships on March 11th. Ice on the road that day would end up proponing (spl?) it.

• Advertisement

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Colder? We had -15 in midlands in 2010

The air source is colder than it was in 2010. Ultimately temps will be down to local variations and snow cover. -15 wasn't modeled this far out in 2010 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extreme cold advisory from Joanna online now
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10843426/

Supplementary advisory - getting serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I've a big decision to make now in how much I stock up.

We had to get supplies airlifted in in 81, 85, 93 and 97. In 2010 we were better prepared but were stuck for a week beford we could get out anywhere.

If we get what's being touted, I'm looking at 7 to 10 days being stuck here.

Aldi is going to get hit hard in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This a 1947 Event in my books. Unbelievable Charts Runs etc.

The East Coast will be shutdown by Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

wingnut32 wrote: »
    Its gonna be some craic driving from Dublin to Cavan on Friday for my little sisters wedding. Fair play to the resident gurus on here, we've been following closely since last week! I'd like to think we are just a little more prepared!

Where's the wedding ?

The M3 Will be grand, so will will the N3 to Cavan. After that its anyones guess

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I've a big decision to make now in how much I stock up.

We had to get supplies airlifted in in 81, 85, 93 and 97. In 2010 we were better prepared but were stuck for a week beford we could get out anywhere.

If we get what's being touted, I'm looking at 7 to 10 days being stuck here.

Aldi is going to get hit hard in the morning.

Joanna is telling ye to be stocked up - take her advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sdanseo wrote: »
    But only for a week or so most likely. Although recent runs have been trending to the more prolonged.

Even if it's only a week it would be fantastic, but please check the posts from syran in the winter2017/18 to see why it's likely to be more prolonged

• Registered Users Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

passes out...

Let's take a moment to think how this will affect the LCC

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

It all just seems too good to be true. Your just waiting for the bubble to burst. Oh it all just sadly took a southerly direction or the precipitation just didn’t unfold.
    But maybe just maybe this is the once in a life time chance when it all comes together🙏❄️☃️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I haven't seen the irish news/weather since Wednesday. I'm flying back into Dublin late tomorrow night and driving cross country. Will this cold "snap" have started to kick by then eg. severe frost/ice?

bazlers wrote: »
    It all just seems too good to be true. Your just waiting for the bubble to burst. Oh it all just sadly took a southerly direction or the precipitation just didn’t unfold.
    But maybe just maybe this is the once in a life time chance when it all comes together🙏❄️☃️

It is the latter for reasons I have stated in the Winter discussion thread for a few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭wingnut32

piplip87 wrote: »
    Where's the wedding ?

The M3 Will be grand, so will will the N3 to Cavan. After that its anyones guess

Wedding is in Dublin Friday morning and the reception will be in Cabra Castle later in the day. I think Im gonna bite the bullet and get the snow tyres put on Monday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

28459035_2005784099438703_750841608_n.jpg?oh=e8985dae990806e0dfbbc9d7b4cd4aa2&oe=5A920A89

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It is the latter for reasons I have stated in the Winter discussion thread for a few weeks now.

Link?

Don't know about y'all but i feel like 6 years old right now I'm so giddy

Link?

There's A LOT of posts to go through, so good luck. Hope it's not too complicated for ya. :P

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057771366&page=156

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

LowOdour wrote: »
    I haven't seen the irish news/weather since Wednesday. I'm flying back into Dublin late tomorrow night and driving cross country. Will this cold "snap" have started to kick by then eg. severe frost/ice?

No, should be ok. The airmass is very dry now so ice on the roads will not be an issue tomorrow night, just due caution for patchy frost in sheltered spots as it will be breezy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭adam240610

Well rest in piece all those in Wicklow based on those precipitation charts.

Myself included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Only minus 4 in cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Pentecost

28459035_2005784099438703_750841608_n.jpg?oh=e8985dae990806e0dfbbc9d7b4cd4aa2&oe=5A920A89

Only -4 in Dublin :rolleyes:

Joke btw..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm confused, how is the 'special content' forecast for the Player any different to the normal broadcast after the news? I mean, surely either its a forecast, or it isnt??!!

Pentecost wrote: »
    Only -4 in Dublin :rolleyes:

Yeah? 'Cause of the onshore easterly winds, cloudy skies bringing snow etc.

:confused:

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm confused, how is the 'special content' forecast for the Player any different to the normal broadcast after the news? I mean, surely either its a forecast, or it isnt??!!

It's a supplementary advisory to tell everyone in Dublin and surroundings you're fecked next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Larbre34 wrote: »

Looks like an attempt to mirror the UKMO's facebook posts which are extended to 8 and 10 minutes in some cases and much more in depth than joe public needs but very informative.

Joanna is great, but unfortunately Met Éireann just aren't at the same level of polished yet. Not the fault of the individual meteorologists. They have the right idea though and will get there, doesn't help that the HD on RTÉ player never seems to playback in any decent quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's a supplementary advisory to tell everyone in Dublin and surroundings you're fecked next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

This is the TV news report playing in the background at the start of a disaster movie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can this Bitter Baltic Bitch take out the power, or is that relatively safe.

brianblaze wrote: »
    This is the TV news report playing in the background at the start of a disaster movie...

2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Airplane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sneachta2018

I remember my grandfather telling us stories from Leitrim about 1947. Bitter cold but dry for a few days beforehand and when they woke up the next morning they had to dig themselves out of their cottage. Drifts were up to 20 feet in places. Truly exceptional. And then further blizzards with sunny calm but freezing intervals.

Without sounding alarmist but based on what I’m reading here there is a possibility that high ground in Wicklow could have similar conditions. And also, I know hunches aren’t scientific, but I have a feeling most parts of Ireland will see at least moderate snow before next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

By the looks of that new ME advisory tonight .. The CORK snow shield remains in tact through out the whole thing? Its mainly the east gets a drubbing?

So at least in Cork we can go about our business as usual? Lots of pee'd off kids .. no snowmen or days off it seems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

With such extreme conditions on their way, I would have expected that RTE would skip the mandatory 40-second advert before the forecast on the RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

aidanodr wrote: »

By the looks of that new ME advisory tonight .. The CORK snow shield remains in tact through out the whole thing? Its mainly the east gets a drubbing?

So at least in Cork we can go about our business as usual? Lots of pee'd off kids .. no snowmen or days off it seems?
    You must have very little understanding of weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Lads I’m scared

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement