Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 or Xbox Series X ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a quick mod note here folks: while we usually will shut down ‘PS or Xbox?’ style threads given past form (and as per the charter), we will leave this one open for now since it has been perfectly civil and reasonable so far. That said, if things deteriorate we will close this thread and direct people towards the Xbox and PlayStation forums instead. But for now, please do chat away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was sickened when MS announced Ninja Theory as xbox exclusive. Hellblade was such a special game, one deserved to be played by all. Was really looking forward to the sequel.

Yea, my undisputed GOTY of 2017, I would have gotten a series X eventually anyway but I would but it just for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Xbox for me because it's got the power advantage, the best controller in the game, gamepass ultimate, and I'm into most of the Xbox franchises (Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable, Crackdown). The PS exclusives don't interest me (except maybe spiderman). Also the Xbox is way more aesthetically pleasing.

I might pick up a PS in a few years when there are good offers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just a quick mod note here folks: while we usually will shut down ‘PS or Xbox?’ style threads given past form (and as per the charter), we will leave this one open for now since it has been perfectly civil and reasonable so far. That said, if things deteriorate we will close this thread and direct people towards the Xbox and PlayStation forums instead. But for now, please do chat away :)

I was just thinking how nice it was to have civil discussion about this. I never venture into the Xbox forum so nice to see views from the other side.

Also, I would swap ye Gran Turismo for Forza franchise any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm tied into game pass for the next 2+ years so I'll probably get a new xbox at some stage. In saying that, apart from a bit of bump in power it doesn't seem like a critical purchase - I'm not aware of any games coming. Also being an auld fella now I'm finding myself picking up the controller less and less - just don't have the time

I can't really do the PS controller but I wouldn't mind a run through some of the games like Spiderman and TLOU. Meh I suppose I could pick up a PS4 cheap at some stage for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Will pick up a PS5 at some stage but the price point of the Series S, along with the great value of Gamepass, has got me thinking of picking one up for Christmas. Never owned an Xbox before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

I'm over and back on it at the minute on which to buy. Been on Xbox for the last few generations and have Gamepass Ultimate sorted for the next 2 years or so, but would really like to pick up some of the PS games I've missed over the years (mainly Spiderman & TLOU).

As of now, I'm thinking PS5 and keep the One X for Gamepass pending there is some bit of back compat with PS4 titles. I think thats been partly confirmed, but would like to see the actual details on it. Will eventually pick up a Series X when some of the bigger hitters come along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was just thinking how nice it was to have civil discussion about this. I never venture into the Xbox forum so nice to see views from the other side.

I'm still pinching myself as every other generation change has been a moderating **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm over and back on it at the minute on which to buy. Been on Xbox for the last few generations and have Gamepass Ultimate sorted for the next 2 years or so, but would really like to pick up some of the PS games I've missed over the years (mainly Spiderman & TLOU).

As of now, I'm thinking PS5 and keep the One X for Gamepass pending there is some bit of back compat with PS4 titles. I think thats been partly confirmed, but would like to see the actual details on it. Will eventually pick up a Series X when some of the bigger hitters come along.

I've gone PC now, and hadn't intended in getting one of the next gen consoles, but seeing trade in values of up to 200 notes has me strongly considering trading in my one x and giving 100 quid with it for an S, if only to have a more capable console now carrying a fully warranty again. At 300 euros, it seems like a no brainer, even if I only get very casual use out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Interesting to see if stalker 2 will indeed be a day one launch title for xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've decided neither console is worth my money this time around. Xbox is where I've played for the last 17 years and while I think GamePass is a great service, there is nothing in it that really interests me. I don't get as much time to play on living room tv so I've gone the route of Nintendo these last 3 years and Stadia in the last year. My Xbox One gathers dust under the TV. Love all the console launch hype though. I think the Series S selling for €300 is a brilliant offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm getting both,

The PS5 for Demons Souls, although I have the feeling that, like Bloodborne on the PS4, it'll be the only reason to turn the thing on for the first couple of years.

The XBox Series X seems to be great value for money and, because I already subscribe to the Ultimate Game Pass, I won't have to buy a ton of content either.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

the more I think about the S, the less interested in it I am.

right now, it would be a great value buy - but I just reckon in 2 years time I'll be looking at games on it and wishing I had the X for the higher resolution etc. I'm certainly getting a PS5, so was considering the S as a 'second console' purely for gamepass, so if I do still go that route (gamepass console) it will be the X.

Gutted Ireland isn't on the All Access list. would have made this an utter non-decision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gutted Ireland isn't on the All Access list. would have made this an utter non-decision.

Smyth's Toys seem to be a vendor on that list, is there a chance that it will be coming to us through them, I wonder?

edit: Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Interesting to see if stalker 2 will indeed be a day one launch title for xbox.

I'd say that's still years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,019 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Smyth's Toys seem to be a vendor on that list, is there a chance that it will be coming to us through them, I wonder?

nope, at least not for launch. if it comes after launch I don't care, I'll have made the purchase or decided against an Xbox at that point.

Not on the list of 12 countries announced yesterday.

the irish site says it is UK only, and they aren't even including N.I in the UK for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC has the best and most exclusives anyway and the best backwards compatibility :P

I'm going to wait a while this generation. Being a PC gamer mostly means the XBox really isn't something I need and then the PS4 has really disappointed me in terms of exclusives where I find it's the worst console I've ever bought. It's just severely lacking in worthwhile exclusive games compared to previous consoles and only looks good because the XBox just has no exclusives. Too many of the exclusives are standard ubisoft open world games that have absolutely no appeal for me. Something will come along I'm sure that will make me get a PS5 but I think for me I'll wait until there's a big price drop.

Or Bloodborne 2. I'd buy one just for that.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PC has the best and most exclusives anyway and the best backwards compatibility :P

I'm going to wait a while this generation. Being a PC gamer mostly means the XBox really isn't something I need and then the PS4 has really disappointed me in terms of exclusives where I find it's the worst console I've ever bought. It's just severely lacking in worthwhile exclusive games compared to previous consoles and only looks good because the XBox just has no exclusives. Too many of the exclusives are standard ubisoft open world games that have absolutely no appeal for me. Something will come along I'm sure that will make me get a PS5 but I think for me I'll wait until there's a big price drop.

Or Bloodborne 2. I'd buy one just for that.

Demons Souls....

And then you can come to my house and get me past the boss I get stuck on again, probably the second one...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Demons Souls....

And then you can come to my house and get me past the boss I get stuck on again, probably the second one...

I'd be more inclined to buy it if it was a brand new game. Going my Bluepoints MO it will be very faithful to the original and if it is I'll wait. By the time I take the plunge it will be cheap.

And I've still not finished Sekiro!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Think I'll go PS5 and at some stage, the S (I'm more of a Sony guy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm voting PC but Xbox Series S is some serious value proposition - it has a slightly better CPU than my monster gaming PC!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More like GitG00dGamer ;)

More like GitG00dGamer ;)

Harsh. Harsh but fair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd say that's still years away.

I'd say so , expect that announcement of delay any day now .

"Due to us being totally unrealistic, we regret to inform ye that stalker 2 won't be released as a launch title on Xbox series x , due to the game still having 10 years development time left, sorry about that, peace out ✌️"

I'd say so , expect that announcement of delay any day now .

"Due to us being totally unrealistic, we regret to inform ye that stalker 2 won't be released as a launch title on Xbox series x , due to the game still having 10 years development time left, sorry about that, peace out ✌️"

To be fair it wouldn't be a real STALKER game if it wasn't massively delayed and stuck in development hell for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Are there any "killer apps" for either platform on launch day?

Or even before xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm moving from PS4 to series S this time around. Had the original Xbox and 360 until PS4 bus gamepass is the big draw for me this time around. Not overly bothered by the ps exclusives outside naughty dog and god of war which I'm guessing are a few years away yet. The price is the S is a huge factor too along with cross play with friends on other platforms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I wouldn't feel too bad about that, no one has finished Sekiro. Anyone that has claimed to is a filthy liar that probably sniffs bicycle seats and listens to Coldplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Are there any "killer apps" for either platform on launch day?

Or even before xmas?

Not really. No. I mean there is the new Assassin's Creed on both but no Next Gen-only Halo or Naughty Dog game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel too bad about that, no one has finished Sekiro. Anyone that has claimed to is a filthy liar that probably sniffs bicycle seats and listens to Coldplay.

I've finished Sekiro. Platinumed.

But I will never, ever, ever, admit to listening to Coldplay.

Advertisement