Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Seems a little odd, we're you booked? I've only ever had a text from them after I requested a booking by calling them and going on waiting /cancellation list.

No, hence why I’m suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I can’t get an appointment for the NCT until March, car is up for a test in January.
    Is this how long the wait is these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Gael23 wrote: »
    I can’t get an appointment for the NCT until March, car is up for a test in January.
    Is this how long the wait is these days?

No, I called them rather than trying the website, they'll put you on a waiting /cancellation list. Mine was due December 31st having been deffered from August, couldn't get a booking until feb/March on website, called them and had booking two weeks later, just completed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,176 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Also try checking online around 930pm when cancelled appointments are released to rebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I got the same.

Notified that NCT expiry was deferred to 31/12/2020.

I went to log on yesterday and book a test. Firstly a message says I'm not due yet, leave it to closer to the due date.

Then I clicked through anyway, to find a February date as the earliest available!

WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I got the same.

Notified that NCT expiry was deferred to 31/12/2020.

I went to log on yesterday and book a test. Firstly a message says I'm not due yet, leave it to closer to the due date.

Then I clicked through anyway, to find a February date as the earliest available!

WTF?

Got something very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw dates 6 months away initially but managed to get one in 2 days by checking the website at different times

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

Has anyone went for an nct recently? Have one booked for a car that's newly imported but haven't received the logbook yet so hoping they won't ask for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I wasn't asked for my log book but I did have it in my hand

Has anyone went for an nct recently? Have one booked for a car that's newly imported but haven't received the logbook yet so hoping they won't ask for it

Your required to have the vehicle registration document for an NCT test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Your required to have the vehicle registration document for an NCT test

rarely asked for - generally driving licence is sufficient. If you don't have it and they do ask for it I think you can bring it in within 30 days and you will get the cert

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

greendom wrote: »
    rarely asked for - generally driving licence is sufficient. If you don't have it and they do ask for it I think you can bring it in within 30 days and you will get the cert

Hopefully they don't ask , knowing my luck they will!

Hopefully they don't ask , knowing my luck they will!

I'm sure you'll be fine, my own worry is it seems to be your cars first NCT? having just been imported so that may require an inspection of vehicle registration document. Mine was done last week and I was asked for it but as others have said, not always asked for so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Allinall wrote: »
    Quick question that someone may know, as it’s not clear from the website ( that I can see anyway)

My NCT was due 19th October, but deferred to 19th Feb 2021.

Does the “up to 90 days” rule still apply?

I.e. If I get a test next week, will my cert run to Feb 2022, or a year from test date?
    If you book your test for any date within the 90 days window prior to 19th Feb 2021 you will receive your cert for one year from the 19th Feb 2021 so your next cert will state 19th Feb 2022.

If you do the test before that 90 day window your new cert will be one year from the date you do the test & not 19th Feb 2021

Similar question here
    I logged on but get a warning saying my NCT is not due and some people I know who deal with multiple car tests are telling me that I will only get a year cert from testing even allowing for the usual 90-day window
    Warning
    Warning! Your vehicle is not due! Please return at a later date to make a booking or select a date near your NCT due date.

when i click through anyway, it tells me due date is not till 12 Feb 2021 (as a result of Covid deferral)

I've never got a warning like this before when booking early, I'm within the 90 day window now............ unless I'm missing some fingers and toes when I'm counting :D

Anyone know what's going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I got the warning. I'm wondering to Ignore it and just go on normal date. As I expect if I aim for a date it will end up being about 2~3 months after when I actually get it sorted. As thats been my experience every year.

I wonder is that because mines at the start of the year. I'd almost do it earlier to shift it to mid summer as I expect its less busy then.

forget it... I rang them

if you are past your original due date the 90 day rule doesn't apply

eg mine being 12 October, now due 12 Feb
    test available 15 December, but if i book it, i will only get 1 year from then

in order to take advantage of the extension need to wait till February

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Seve OB wrote: »
    forget it... I rang them

if you are past your original due date the 90 day rule doesn't apply

eg mine being 12 October, now due 12 Feb
    test available 15 December, but if i book it, i will only get 1 year from then

in order to take advantage of the extension need to wait till February

Thanks for doing the legwork Seve.

Mine is 19th October- now 19th February.

Might as well leave it until the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

534320.jpg

I failed my NCT and needed to re-book by 18th December. After going through website and trying to book it said I could not book as I needed to do NCT by 12th NOVEMBER

You can see website is showing a conflict with itself showing December at one part, and November in another part of same websitepage. So the website seems to be broken. I got a booking over the phone with no holding at 09:30am this morning

I sent the screenshot to NCT by email. Hopefully they will fix their website.

I also got the warning my NCT was not due at the start. This seems to be a new change on the website. I felt the old warning was too mild and many would have missed it. The new warning is quite clear.

One slight complication is I am within the 90 days early, failed my test, restesting in 3 weeks, I'll see if I get 12 months NCT or 14 months NCT. There seems to be loads of slots for a retest 5 days+ away, but I would advise to try book any retests as soon as you can, to get a time and date that suits you, and to be sure to pass before the full test fee applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

I have child car seats in the car. Do I need to take them out for an NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

I went through my NCT on an import there on Thursday. I bought it through the garage and they registered it for me and paid the VRT. Was booked in to start at 21:35 at Northpoint but arrived at 21:10. My car was taken it at around 21:20 and was out before 21:35. Absolutely delighted, very fast service, nice staff. We were also able to wait in the waiting area which is great. All they asked for is the driving license. Good experience from my side!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

obi604 wrote: »

I could be wrong.

But I think if you leave them in they will check they are fitted correctly. I always took them out when I had them. Unless I had a child with me. Since they like to watch..

obi604 wrote: »

if you have child seats fitted, the NCT is required to check that they are correctly attached, so no. If you have a child fitted they will shake the sh1t out of him or her, so they need to be removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

when i click through anyway, it tells me due date is not till 12 Feb 2021 (as a result of Covid deferral)

I've never got a warning like this before when booking early, I'm within the 90 day window now............ unless I'm missing some fingers and toes when I'm counting :D

Anyone know what's going on
    Not me anyway. :o:) Mine was up in November as usual, but it's been deferred for what seems like a long time until April. So 5 months.

534780.jpeg

Others I know have been deferred by either 3 or 4 months. It seems to vary a little.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not me anyway. :o:) Mine was up in November as usual, but it's been deferred for what seems like a long time until April. So 5 months.

534780.jpeg

Others I know have been deferred by either 3 or 4 months. It seems to vary a little.
    Were you originally due at the beginning or end of November?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Beginning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Hi everyone, does anyone know if the waiting rooms are still closed during the test? I know it was that way a few months back when we had to stand outside while waiting but can anyone confirm if it’s still the same?

Hi everyone, does anyone know if the waiting rooms are still closed during the test? I know it was that way a few months back when we had to stand outside while waiting but can anyone confirm if it’s still the same?

Deansgrange waiting room was still open recently. There was a sign saying Max number of people. They warn you you may need to wait outside so assume you might and dress for rain and cold.

I think it depends on the size of the waiting room at each test centre.

anyone know how long you are likely to be waiting around these days?
    i've to bring my wifes car tomorrow, might go for a jog while im waiting rather than just sitting there like a spare tyre in the carpark

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

i've to bring my wifes car tomorrow, might go for a jog while im waiting rather than just sitting there like a spare tyre in the carpark
    I was waiting maybe ten minutes last week. Car was taken almost as soon as I arrived even though there were a few others there before me as I walked up to the reception on the dot of my appointment.

Max two allowed inside and it was full so waited outside in the drizzle. Glad I dressed appropriately!

Got handed my cert through a window!

• Advertisement

You need to stay with your car until they take the car from you. That could be anything from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. When they have taken the car the test is 20 minutes to 45 minutes. Typically 30 minutes. You can often wait inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement