Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The jealousy thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect nearly all of those systems are going to go soon - the tag on/off data is too valuable for network capacity planning. Porto only collects tag on oddly; so clearly some places don't care enough.

The Andante won't be going with my small pile of foreign reusable cards - with its 1 year life I won't be back that soon. Oyster, Chipkaart, Metrocard and some others live in a drawer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Tbh I prefer the system that is still used many European cities where you pay €1.50 or maybe €2 or €10 for a book of ten for ticket similar to a travel 90 but covers you across all methods of transport bus, tram, metro and suburban rail over a smartcard system. I find it better towards people who don't use public transport often and tourists as you don't have to fork out to pay a deposit or a put unesscary amount of money on a smartcard and people who are more regular users can buy a large quantity of tickets or buy a season ticket.

I prefer a system that prioritizes the regular users of a service rather than some seldom-mights and some tourists.

Leap is actually decent and with the fare reviews that will come soon enough it is only gonna get better. Driver interaction does need to be done away with however.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I prefer a system that prioritizes the regular users of a service rather than some seldom-mights and some tourists.

Leap is actually decent and with the fare reviews that will come soon enough it is only gonna get better. Driver interaction does need to be done away with however.

+1 . Plus the deposit is only a fiver. People will have no doubt spent that on ice creams over the weekend without a second thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Yes but the system I'm talking about also suits regular users aswell as people who don't use it regularly. Anyway the leap system is far better than the pay on board system.

Leap is good but it isin't flawless.

Yes but the system I'm talking about also suits regular users aswell as people who don't use it regularly. Anyway the leap system is far better than the pay on board system.

Leap is good but it isin't flawless.

Who gives a ****e about he seldom user? Why can't they use a leap card?

They have fare capping for starters. And the Travel 90 discount. It's mad that you'd think those carnet systems in 2017 are a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They have fare capping for starters. And the Travel 90 discount. It's mad that you'd think those carnet systems in 2017 are a good idea.

They have worked for decades in many cities across the continent to this day. I find them just as convenient as a smartcard system. A carnet system would have been cheaper to inplament at the time when leap cards were introduced. Just because the leap card is modern technology dosen't mean its better. Anyway both will be surpassed by contactless in the coming years.

They have worked for decades in many cities across the continent to this day. I find them just as convenient as a smartcard system. A carnet system would have been cheaper to inplament at the time when leap cards were introduced. Just because the leap card is modern technology dosen't mean its better. Anyway both will be surpassed by contactless in the coming years.

What are you on about? Have you only woken up to the absolute mental incoherence of transport in Ireland for the last 40 years?

Political will is why things are the way they are. A carnet would never have solved these issues as the fare structures across the board were mental. That was the first thing that needed doing. Anyway, we have leap. Get over it.

Train for letters better than our current underground.
    :D:D

Wasn't sure where to put this video but a great video on the DLR which basically highlights as often is the case that simply starting is one of the biggest issues. The line has more than doubled in 30 years after been started on a shoestring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was on the DLR recently and it is quite impressive. We should copy it. I could not work out where the power came from - no third rail that I could see and no overhead lines.

Any one know how it works?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was on the DLR recently and it is quite impressive. We should copy it. I could not work out where the power came from - no third rail that I could see and no overhead lines.

It uses bottom contact third rail which can be safely covered on top, and easily disguised. Not 100% safe, but much more than a bare third rail. A non-starter for onstreet running though.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The third rail-equivalent is that elevated white thing you can see in the bottom left of the thumbnail for that video.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I assumed that the third rail was covered and had a hidden connection, but I could not get a good view of it to be certain.

It would be possible to use it on MN, but it would not be so safe beyond Sandyford going south. Perhaps using batteries to take it beyond Sandyford and back might be worth it if the overall cost is reduced without sacrificing usability or safety. They use batteries on the trams in Nice for part of the route as it crosses Place Massena so they do not have horrid overhead wires.

The DLR started very small and expanded over the last 30 years into a substantial network in its own right.

Copying their bit at a time approach, it could start with Swords to Airport as a small start, extended to DCU in Ballymun as far as Griffith Ave, using elevated running through Ballymun - all above ground with the depot at the airport. It could also have a spur to Clongriffin to link to the Dart.

We can all try a bit of crayon wielding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

DLR carries an astonishing 122 million passenger per year... It is London, but it goes to show what a little 3 car vehicle can do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

donvito99 wrote: »
    DLR carries an astonishing 122 million passenger per year... It is London, but it goes to show what a little 3 car vehicle can do.

Either 56m or 84m long (either 2 or 3 carriage train) and based on a German light rail tram design. Shows the potential capacity of Metro North once built.

bk wrote: »
    Either 56m or 84m long (either 2 or 3 carriage train) and based on a German light rail tram design. Shows the potential capacity of Metro North once built.

Once built and we go back and expand the platforms :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Once built and we go back and expand the platforms :rolleyes:

I know! I'm really hoping that he platforms are built to a 90m size or greater. 60m trains day one may well be ok, easy to add an extra carriage later to bump it to 90m, digging bigger stations later would be insanely expensive, but easy to do up front

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

DLR is very good but I did find the network map confusing. All the lines are the same colour on the TFL map (same deal with the Overground) which makes it a little complicated for somebody not familiar with London. If they could have different colours for each DLR and Overground line, like they have with the Underground then that would make life much easier.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    DLR is very good but I did find the network map confusing. All the lines are the same colour on the TFL map (same deal with the Overground) which makes it a little complicated for somebody not familiar with London. If they could have different colours for each DLR and Overground line, like they have with the Underground then that would make life much easier.
    Both DLR and Overground are very recent additions to the iconic tube map. In the near future (next 50 years) they will start using more colours, but there are not many colours they have not used already. They will have to add CrossCity as well.

They will get there eventually - meanwhile they are shifting passengers by the million.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

But only 3.2 km and two stations. How long are the DU tunnels? I think about 5.5km and four or five stations. Mind you, they will not have to avoid any existing train tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Thats what I mean DU is a Bargain!

Thats what I mean DU is a Bargain!

Great. Any chance of talking to Shane Ross about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Am I reading that right?? It took just seven months to tunnel 3.2km????

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Am I reading that right?? It took just seven months to tunnel 3.2km????

Tunnelling itself doesn't actually take that long. It is adding the station boxes, tracks, cabling etc. which ends up adding a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

bk wrote: »
    Tunnelling itself doesn't actually take that long. It is adding the station boxes, tracks, cabling etc. which ends up adding a lot of time.
    It depends what you're tunneling through!

London (north of the river mainly) and Dublin clay is easy to bore through. Manhattan granite not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

murphaph wrote: »
    It depends what you're tunneling through!

London (north of the river mainly) and Dublin clay is easy to bore through. Manhattan granite not so much.

How did the story end up in the media years ago that we couldn’t have a metro in Dublin cos it was too difficult to bore through?

Not that it stopped an underground motorway being built....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basel uses the city taxation on accommodation; which I know we don't have but is charged basically everywhere in Europe; to provide free public transport for tourists.

Haven't actually been there yet so the network could be woeful for all I know; but on the ticketing front it shows that even with Leap Visitor being very good, with an already dear city to visit we could maybe go further.

After seeing what Basel has - super dense tram network except in the most historic core, mostly orbital bus system feeding the trams and SBB rail, pedestrian and cycle roads through buildings otherwise in the way, entirely off vehicle ticketing. Its a minor city at that.

They have some invasive overpasses and similar close to the core that do help move car traffic away though

Also, occasionally team stops have no infrastructure at all bar a ticket machine - trams have one wheelchair ramp for these. Reduces build cost but would never be allowed here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

L1011 wrote: »
    Basel uses the city taxation on accommodation; which I know we don't have but is charged basically everywhere in Europe; to provide free public transport for tourists.
    Actually commercial rates in Ireland take in €1.5bn a year, €630m of it is collected by the four Dublin local authorities. I can't find exact figures but hotels in Dublin probably pay in the tens of millions per year.

Advertisement