Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The jealousy thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

For those who like the idea of a directly elected Mayor, may want to read this - http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/09/16/waiting-for-a-directly-elected-mayor/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

cgcsb wrote: »
    Edinburgh and Glasgow have virtually overlapping suburbs. They're not that far apart so I guess their economies are interconnected a bit more than say Dublin-Cork hence the high frequency. Still it would be nice to see Dublin Cork up to half hour frequency.

I know its on a different scale but how about this idea allowing a private operator to run trains every hour on the cork line this is the case in italy which has ntv and state trains on the high speed lines. It started about four or five years as the new high spend obivously ordinary trains couldn't run on the high speed lines and the state thought they weren't going to be used at least every 15 minutes it would have been a waste of money so they allowed the first ever private company run high speed rail in europe very surprising in an extremely bureacratic country but an excellent idea creates much needed competion without having private monopolies ala uk privatisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Why is privatization alwasy seen a the solution in this country?

For all its ills over the years IE can't run trains on a non-existent tunnel or on unopened lines. And they are hamstrung by government policy. They have their ills but as has been proven b y the DB strike the State doesn't give a shoite about PT and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Some stations opening already
    http://www.lansimetro.fi/en/home.html

Will be heading over to Hamburg next Easter and was just looking at Google maps for a few things and something occurred to me when I zoomed a wee bit NW of the city toward Denmark

"Janey, they should build a tunnel between Putgarden (DE) and Rødby (DK). That would be a great link between Copenhagen and Hamburg"

Well, it looks like they are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fehmarn_Belt_Fixed_Link

This country woudelt your face with inaction over the smallest things. Meanwhile Denmark are in the process of building a SECOND road and rail tunnel link to serve their Capital.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can see that project being delayed a few more times. The Copenhagen metro proposal to extend to Malmo will be very interesting to follow also

L1011 wrote: »
    I can see that project being delayed a few more times. The Copenhagen metro proposal to extend to Malmo will be very interesting to follow also

All delays seem to be on the German side. But in fairness it's a massive plan of ambition we could only dream of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just back from Barcelona and the metro there is pure bliss. Only downside was long walks between some connetions but with trains every four minutes you are on the move very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭corm500

Chivito550 wrote: »

That's an embarrassment. Pretty much us,Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia.

• Advertisement

corm500 wrote: »
    That's an embarrassment. Pretty much us,Sub-Saharan Africa and Australia.

I think Sydney is building a metro and Melbourne has the city loop which is mostly underground and are planning to build an underground section going through the city from north to south.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Dubious map - Northern Ireland is highlighted by virtue of being part of the UK, so how many other geographic areas don't have one either, but are part of a country that does?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Dubious map - Northern Ireland is highlighted by virtue of being part of the UK, so how many other geographic areas don't have one either, but are part of a country that does?

In terms of Europe it gives a good picture. How many European capital cities/ biggest cities in each country do not have a metro?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In Taipei atm.

First metro line opened 1996. They've 5 lines now and 117 stations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    In Taipei atm.

Metro North was supposed to start around the same time wasn't it? how many stations do we have yet?

oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Zebra3 wrote: »
    In Taipei atm.

I'm surprised that it's only 5 lines! East Asia has the best city transport systems by a mile, Shenzhen for example has 8 lines and only opened in 2004.
    Evolution of SZ Metro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20161212-inside-the-worlds-longest-rail-tunnel
    We decide on things together. That’s what makes Swiss people Swiss people

Amazing undertaking that the whole country seems to have bought into. We'd of gotten 26 separate tunnels to keep all the village pumps happy.

Meanwhile in Dublin a very cunning plan has been hatched
    http://www.thejournal.ie/hellfire-cable-car-3133884-Dec2016/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Actually I think this would be a cool thing. They're building a cable car in Berlin for the IGA 2017. But we don't already have an underground system like Berlin, so I guess we have other priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I can just see some moronic journo or politican here trying to cite it as a failure.

"Look!!! Cycle lanes don't work!!!!".

:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Porto. To call the geography challenging is over simplifying. Decent enough metro including a link to to their pretty crap airport that's fairly far out. We have a big, good airport close enough in with nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Porto. To call the geography challenging is over simplifying. Decent enough metro including a link to to their pretty crap airport that's fairly far out. We have a big, good airport close enough in with nothing
    Very smart metro indeed, and a lovely city.

There's a reason that Portugal are in the PIIGS group...

Dardania wrote: »

At least they have something to show for it. Don't forget we are/were one of those Is

Dardania wrote: »

I haven't been but that metro looks more like a underground luas than the usual metro.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I haven't been but that metro looks more like a underground luas than the usual metro.

It is like a mostly underground luas, but luas is basically a partially street running metro. Second longest "trams" around

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

The OV Chipkaart in the Netherlands.
    One card covering all the public transport in the country and massively used due to the cost difference between having one and not having one.

Earlier in the week in Utrecht I got on a bus at 8:20 in the morning and bought a ticket from the driver. At 8:20 I was the first person that day who bought a ticket as he had to set the date on his stamp. The ticket cost em €2.70 against €1.17 when using the chipcard.

random_guy wrote: »
    The OV Chipkaart in the Netherlands.
    One card covering all the public transport in the country and massively used due to the cost difference between having one and not having one.

Earlier in the week in Utrecht I got on a bus at 8:20 in the morning and bought a ticket from the driver. At 8:20 I was the first person that day who bought a ticket as he had to set the date on his stamp. The ticket cost em €2.70 against €1.17 when using the chipcard.

We're slowly getting there. Leap can be used in all the cities now.

I found the Chipkaart to be a bloody nusiance in its early era - if you were used to the old zoning system it was awkward to work with and it is still very hard for a tourist to get one - there's effectively one machine in Amsterdam Centraal with them in. Posted a thread on Leap actually being superior in many ways at the time and was jumped on by people who don't like the idea we can do things in Ireland :pac: (most of the defenses were that the pricing system was superior in the Netherlands, which it is but is not related to the card)

I need to find mine - and see if its still in date - as I'm over there next week and without one you need to pay a surcharge for every train ticket to get a disposable

Porto's system, Andante, uses a slightly sturdier disposable as their normal casual use equivalent. 60c and needs replacement annually. Can get personalised ones if needed.

• Advertisement

I found the Chipkaart to be a bloody nusiance in its early era - if you were used to the old zoning system it was awkward to work with and it is still very hard for a tourist to get one - there's effectively one machine in Amsterdam Centraal with them in. Posted a thread on Leap actually being superior in many ways at the time and was jumped on by people who don't like the idea we can do things in Ireland :pac: (most of the defenses were that the pricing system was superior in the Netherlands, which it is but is not related to the card)

I need to find mine - and see if its still in date - as I'm over there next week and without one you need to pay a surcharge for every train ticket to get a disposable

Porto's system, Andante, uses a slightly sturdier disposable as their normal casual use equivalent. 60c and needs replacement annually. Can get personalised ones if needed.

Tbh I prefer the system that is still used many European cities where you pay €1.50 or maybe €2 or €10 for a book of ten for ticket similar to a travel 90 but covers you across all methods of transport bus, tram, metro and suburban rail over a smartcard system. I find it better towards people who don't use public transport often and tourists as you don't have to fork out to pay a deposit or a put unesscary amount of money on a smartcard and people who are more regular users can buy a large quantity of tickets or buy a season ticket.

Advertisement