Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

The jealousy thread

«134567

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭ keane2097


    Link is broken, correct one here I think...

    http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0303/772316-new-york-subway/


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭ Grandeeod


    A different world lads. A different world altogether.:rolleyes:


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub


    Grandeeod wrote: »
    A different world lads. A different world altogether.:rolleyes:

    I know it's apples and oranges but here's another. 1bl pounds for a tunnel to run power cables? Sure why not

    https://youtu.be/Mm5khEUIBx0


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭ Grandeeod


    I know it's apples and oranges but here's another. 1bl pounds for a tunnel to run power cables? Sure why not

    https://youtu.be/Mm5khEUIBx0

    Ah I wouldn't say its as clear cut as apples and oranges. Money wise yes, but in contextual vision terms, no. Ireland really doesn't aspire to much when it comes to transport infrastructure.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭ 1huge1


    I know it's apples and oranges but here's another. 1bl pounds for a tunnel to run power cables? Sure why not

    https://youtu.be/Mm5khEUIBx0

    That was actually fascinating. London really have no issue undertaking massive infrastructure projects.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭ MJohnston


    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't say its as clear cut as apples and oranges. Money wise yes, but in contextual vision terms, no. Ireland really doesn't aspire to much when it comes to transport infrastructure.

    Nor does the USA really, that station is only like that because of what happened there.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭ afatbollix


    I know it's apples and oranges but here's another. 1bl pounds for a tunnel to run power cables? Sure why not

    https://youtu.be/Mm5khEUIBx0

    Dublin has also got a tunnel under the city for power lines which they built about 15 years ago. I think they were updating a sewer and built a power line tunnel at the same time.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    afatbollix wrote: »
    Dublin has also got a tunnel under the city for power lines which they built about 15 years ago. I think they were updating a sewer and built a power line tunnel at the same time.

    Pity they did not put a few railway lines in there while they were at it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub


    afatbollix wrote: »
    Dublin has also got a tunnel under the city for power lines which they built about 15 years ago. I think they were updating a sewer and built a power line tunnel at the same time.

    Any links?


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,688 ✭✭✭✭ Zebra3


    Was informed last night about all the metro built in Sofia since the late 90s.

    One of the poorest countries in Europe. Yet here, nothing.....:mad:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,539 ✭✭✭✭ Grandeeod


    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Was informed last night about all the metro built in Sofia since the late 90s.

    One of the poorest countries in Europe. Yet here, nothing.....:mad:

    Ah yes. The Metropolitan. I was on it two years ago. Very impressive and in a city not much bigger than Dublin. I believe it serves the airport now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭ afatbollix


    Any links?

    https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/societies/heritage/Water,-Drainage,-People-and-Heritage.pdf?ext=.pdf

    Page 13 its only 600m but Dublin isn't that big at the end of the day. I'm surprised I remembered this as I was 13 when it was built!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ newacc2015


    Seen this http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0303/772316-new-york-subway/ though Jesus we'd have DU and MN for that price. Any one else got examples?

    Everyone in NY and NJ is furious with it. It was supposed to cost $2bn but ended up costing $3.85bn. I imagine there was no opening ceremony for the simple reason it has cost them $3.85bn for a glorified subway station. Who wants to celebrate the opening of that?

    I think Munich Subway is the best underground in the world. It has been built since the 1970s, is never overcrowded and the stations are incredible. Each station has a different theme. Buses and trams link perfectly with the passengers coming off the u-bahn


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub


    newacc2015 wrote: »
    Everyone in NY and NJ is furious with it. It was supposed to cost $2bn but ended up costing $3.85bn. I imagine there was no opening ceremony for the simple reason it has cost them $3.85bn for a glorified subway station. Who wants to celebrate the opening of that?
    I too look forward to the day we can all moan about our new over priced subway station ;)


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    I too look forward to the day we can all moan about our new over priced subway station ;)

    Now that is jealousy!


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,551 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato


    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ireland really doesn't aspire to much when it comes to transport infrastructure.

    Ireland really doesn't aspire to much when it comes to anything, really.

    "12 pages in and it still needs to be explained to some posters why this guy ended up where he did. It probably explains why so many gobshites get elected in this country."



  • Registered Users Posts: 10,347 ✭✭✭✭ MJohnston


    Ireland really doesn't aspire to much when it comes to anything, really.

    Sc7ONrV.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ RichardoKhan


    Schipol Trains underneath Airport.............always had a green eye for Dutch Civil Engineering. Also Interlocking roadstones on beds of sand so if you need to fix or add utilities you just lift the stones, lay the new kit or fix. Fill over with sand & the lay down the roard stones back where they come from.


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭ spacetweek


    Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah yes. The Metropolitan. I was on it two years ago. Very impressive and in a city not much bigger than Dublin. I believe it serves the airport now.

    Yes. The only Eastern European capital with a rail link to the airport.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭ Muahahaha


    :DMust agree that Schipols train station under the airport is impressive. Coming off a plane onto a train to the city centre is just so effortless, especially compared to the long treks you have in other airports.

    I've also always admired Sydney's infrastructure. The harbour there is a major natural barrier between the north and south of the city but they've tamed the tundra to make transport keep people moving. They have an amazing mix of motorways, tunnels under the harbour, an extensive network of buses and underground railway and then a huge fleet of ferries on top. Plus they've got a monorail too, who wouldn't be jealous of that :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ random_guy


    Schipol Trains underneath Airport.............always had a green eye for Dutch Civil Engineering. Also Interlocking roadstones on beds of sand so if you need to fix or add utilities you just lift the stones, lay the new kit or fix. Fill over with sand & the lay down the roard stones back where they come from.


    and architecture for that matter, there's some fantastic stuff there. Much ahead of their German cousins it must be said.

    The long distance train connections are great though. Although pretty common. Frankfurt has it, Köln/Bonn, Leipzig (?), Berlin will have it if the damn thing ever gets finished, Stuttgart are currently building for new intercity services, I read recently that Munich got permission/funding (I can't remember which) for a new link that will probably allow intercity traffic.
    Hell, little Riga and Tallin will have it as Rail Baltica progresses.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,889 ✭✭✭✭ murphaph


    Also Interlocking roadstones on beds of sand so if you need to fix or add utilities you just lift the stones, lay the new kit or fix. Fill over with sand & the lay down the roard stones back where they come from.
    This is done widely across Europe. I wonder why Ireland and the UK don't do the pavement laid on sand thing...perhaps the paving would be stolen?!


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    murphaph wrote: »
    This is done widely across Europe. I wonder why Ireland and the UK don't do the pavement laid on sand thing...perhaps the paving would be stolen?!

    ... or the sand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭ afatbollix


    With all the rain we get it would just wash away.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27,551 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato


    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I've also always admired Sydney's infrastructure. The harbour there is a major natural barrier between the north and south of the city but they've tamed the tundra to make transport keep people moving. They have an amazing mix of motorways, tunnels under the harbour, an extensive network of buses and underground railway and then a huge fleet of ferries on top. Plus they've got a monorail too, who wouldn't be jealous of that :D

    The tunnels are fairly heavily tolled though and some underused as a result, and the monorail has been dismantled.

    "12 pages in and it still needs to be explained to some posters why this guy ended up where he did. It probably explains why so many gobshites get elected in this country."



  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ McAlban


    Copenhagen has a great rail link also with a mainline, with which you can also enter the swedish rail network via the Oresund bridge to Malmo and a driverless metro that they've built over the last few years and are continually expanding.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭ LeinsterDub


    http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2016/0601/792467-gotthard-train/


    11 BL and 70 years in the planning , hope for DU yet !


  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell


    http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2016/0601/792467-gotthard-train/


    11 BL and 70 years in the planning , hope for DU yet !

    On the 70 years or the €11 billion?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭ snotboogie


    newacc2015 wrote: »
    Seen this http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0303/772316-new-york-subway/ though Jesus we'd have DU and MN for that price. Any one else got examples?

    Everyone in NY and NJ is furious with it. It was supposed to cost $2bn but ended up costing $3.85bn. I imagine there was no opening ceremony for the simple reason it has cost them $3.85bn for a glorified subway station. Who wants to celebrate the opening of that?

    I think Munich Subway is the best underground in the world. It has been built since the 1970s, is never overcrowded and the stations are incredible. Each station has a different theme. Buses and trams link perfectly with the passengers coming off the u-bahn

    I think Asia are way ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to infrastructure. Hong Kong, Singapore and Seoul are an absolute marvel to behold. Even Shanghai and Beijing, which are hugely overcrowded, are still spectacular achievements.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ McAlban


    http://www.rte.ie/news/world/2016/0601/792467-gotthard-train/


    11 BL and 70 years in the planning , hope for DU yet !

    Getting freight from Domodosalla (IT) into the Swiss network is a nightmare and way overcrowded, Hangartner (Now DB Schenker) were way over capacity on this route as the Italians ban HGV's from the road tunnels at the weekends and even some weeks during the summer. It is a huge step for rail freight out of Italy and reduce the heavy loads on the Alps passes during the week.
    snotboogie wrote: »
    I think Asia are way ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to infrastructure. Hong Kong, Singapore and Seoul are an absolute marvel to behold. Even Shanghai and Beijing, which are hugely overcrowded, are still spectacular achievements.

    They take a long term view of infrastructure and build quickly, unlike here were they take a long term time to decide on infrastructure and even longer to build.


Advertisement