Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Student paramedic 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

I know all the pre employment checks are being held up at the moment but I was told you need three previous employer references? Is this 100% needed as I have only been employed in two jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

Shau_98 wrote: »
    I know all the pre employment checks are being held up at the moment but I was told you need three previous employer references? Is this 100% needed as I have only been employed in two jobs.

I used two from the same job and the third from another so you should be grand.

I used two from the same job and the third from another so you should be grand.

Perfect. Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiatlegend

Hi everyone just looking for some advice before the next nas recruitment this year . I’m currently 20 will be closer to 21 before the next recruitment . I currently hold all responder certificates from CFR to EFR, hold a level 5 in community health services ,have my c1 license and am a registered EMT . I am just wondering if my age would work against me for consideration as I am aware I am still young and if the courses I have undertaken will be of any help or do nas prefer a blank canvas to be teaching the paramedic course from ? And possibly anything I could do to better myself ,thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭MN_Medic

Fiatlegend wrote: »
    Hi everyone just looking for some advice before the next nas recruitment this year . I’m currently 20 will be closer to 21 before the next recruitment . I currently hold all responder certificates from CFR to EFR, hold a level 5 in community health services ,have my c1 license and am a registered EMT . I am just wondering if my age would work against me for consideration as I am aware I am still young and if the courses I have undertaken will be of any help or do nas prefer a blank canvas to be teaching the paramedic course from ? And possibly anything I could do to better myself ,thanks.

You're age will not be an issue whatsoever. As long as you meet the recruitment criteria. The main things are the C1 and the education criteria. Dont worry about doing courses that are related to prehospital care. Most people on the paramedic course do not have any experience or previous training. To give yourself a better chance of getting into the course, familiarize yourself with the recruitment process and all the steps involved so when you to through it you'll be better prepared.

• Advertisement

Age definitely won't hinder you at all. I am just after turning 23 and starting in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoghan2410

Hi guys, any tips for preparation before the next recruitment drive ? I have the C1 and meet education requirements atm just want to make sure I give myself the best chance !

Eoghan2410 wrote: »
    Hi guys, any tips for preparation before the next recruitment drive ? I have the C1 and meet education requirements atm just want to make sure I give myself the best chance !

I'd say just look up NAS structure, the PHECC and the reason why you want to be a paramedic

The recruitment process has a number of steps. You express and interest in the position and if you meet the recruitment requirements you can proceed.
    The first is a psychomotor test. There are many websites and resources available to help prepare for this.
    Once you pass the test you must fill in an application form which will ask you to detail certain attributes such as your team work, ability to cope under pressure, and problem solving abilities. Other details such as work history and education will be on the application form also.
    You'll be then called to interview. The interview is a structured interview with predetermined topics. The information you put in your application form will be the subject of most of the interview. Other topics can also be discussed. The interview is scored with a minimum score required to get onto a panel. Your interview score will determine where on the panel you place. The better your score the higher you get. Then it's just a waiting game until you're called for preemployment checks before starting training. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fiatlegend

MN_Medic wrote: »
    The recruitment process has a number of steps. You express and interest in the position and if you meet the recruitment requirements you can proceed.
    The first is a psychomotor test. There are many websites and resources available to help prepare for this.
    Once you pass the test you must fill in an application form which will ask you to detail certain attributes such as your team work, ability to cope under pressure, and problem solving abilities. Other details such as work history and education will be on the application form also.
    You'll be then called to interview. The interview is a structured interview with predetermined topics. The information you put in your application form will be the subject of most of the interview. Other topics can also be discussed. The interview is scored with a minimum score required to get onto a panel. Your interview score will determine where on the panel you place. The better your score the higher you get. Then it's just a waiting game until you're called for preemployment checks before starting training. Hope this helps
    Does that mean that anyone who meets the eligibility criteria and sits the aptitude test is put forward for interview ? Or is it possible to score too low in the testing and not get an interview ?

• Advertisement

Does that mean that anyone who meets the eligibility criteria and sits the aptitude test is put forward for interview ? Or is it possible to score too low in the testing and not get an interview ?

Applicants need to pass the aptitude test to be called forward to the next stage.

I know last year it was the application form, then aptitude, then interivew and then panel placement.

I would assume if you score too low on the aptitude you will not progress.

I found career services very good for practicing for the aptitude but not great for interivew prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

If you have the C1 and minimum education and have completed the application correctly you will be called to do an aptitude test.

I would recommend getting some aptitude test prep done; if you fail this step you don't get called for interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AGN2020

Anyone do their medical yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭JBB2020

AGN2020 wrote: »
    Anyone do their medical yet?

Not yet. 19th of July I'm due mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Medt123

does anyone know what happens at the medical appointment?

Did everyone else get the Garda vetting? Haven't recieved mine yet. My medical isn't tilll next Thursday so I've no clue @Medt123

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭NeuronalJoe

Blood test, tetnus shot if you haven't had one in the past 10 years, height/ weight measurements. Standard health questionnaire, hearing and vision test and I think they make you do a step test if your BMI is over a certain level.

That's what I had to do at medmark in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Skarey

Hi All

If anyone is starting in Tallaght in September and looking for accommodation on a short term basis drop me a message 👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 7 youllfindme_92

Hey guys!

Trying to upload my Hseland certs to Moodle but they won't accept them. Have to be under 1mb. Any idea how to make them smaller?

This is not my fortiet. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 whoboy

There should be a guide on how to compress them.

google pdf compressor. boards wont allow me to post links

• Registered Users Posts: 7 youllfindme_92

Thank you so much whoboy! Got it working in the end.

Best of luck to everyone starting today!

Anyone starting in Tullamore on the 20th? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Does anyone know when the NAS are recruiting again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Recruiting again in early 2022 apparantly.

Do you get payed during training?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amy98

Wondering the same so you get paid during the three years of training

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Student paramedic campaign for 2022 is being advertised on publicjobs.ie...

Half thinking of applying for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shannrnsss

Hi, so I'm pretty lete to the game with the current recruitment campaign. I know it ends in the next week. I have a couple of q's and I'm hoping someone can help :)

First does anyone know how frequent student paramedic recruitment campaigns are? After this 1 closes how soon till one runs again?

I am currently a grade 4 and on year 2 of the salary scale for my grade. If I was accepted as a student paramedic would I go back to the bottom of the student paramedic scale? Or would my current standing on the salary scale stand to me, I know if you go up a grade you will never go to a salary lower then what u are currently on. So would I got to half way on the student paramedic scale?

Also how does shift allowance work? Fo you get for example, €50 per shift you work? Or and extra €3 an hour?

Last question I promise. Are you placed in the same station for the 2 years of placement? Could the be in Dublin, or do the Dublin fire brigade not recruit from the Nás? As firefighters are also trained as paramedics?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

In the job 6 years, hope I can be of some help.

At present, you may know we are extremely short of staff. There will be rolling recruitment campaigns regularly for the foreseeable future. There are approximately 90 people on a panel at present waiting to start. There were plans to take in approximately 90 students in January in Ballinasloe, Tallaght, and the new college in Tullamore. Only 19 people expressed an interest in starting. As a result, they tried to consolidate the 3 classes into Tullamore and only 7 have now expressed an interest - out of a planned 90. The Dubs don't like leaving the Pale 😉

The average take-home pay at the start when in the college is about €860 a fortnight. When you are on placement in your first year (hospital or ambulance placement) there is a tax-free training allowance of €235 per week paid on top of your regular wage. You will start getting your shift allowance in year 2 when you start your internship. That's about €220 a fortnight (taxed). An average starting take-home pay in year 1 (if single) is about €1,200 (including shift, not including Sundays). Obviously, it increases if you get Sundays (often rare on internship depending where you are as staff often don't take Sundays off) and there are endless opportunities to do OT. Anyone in my class who was already in the HSE went to the bottom of the pay scale but you could try and make a case if and when you qualified.

As for station placement, in year 1 as a third person, you are generally kept fairly close to your home address unless you ask for elsewhere. However, for the internship, you can initially be deployed anywhere in the country for some time. Often not coming back closer to home until a new class leaves the college for their internship. Most areas now have "hubs" so for Kildare/Wicklow you could rotate between Naas, Athy, Baltinglass, etc. The longer you are in the more structure but permanent rostered lines can be difficult to get. For example, the average waiting time for a permanent rostered line in Cork City is about 11 years, whereas Castletownbere has traditionally been quite quick.

Have a good think about the job, it can be very rewarding but the distances travelling to calls and waiting in the ED can be tough on the mind and body. If you are quite happy knowing all this, I wish you the very best of luck 😊

Advertisement