Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭deezell

fryup wrote: »

Pretty much a Castelgarden generic. Standard decks, wheels, steering, drive, with a few cosmetic variations. Castelgarden designate their machine as 'TC 102' say, for the 40 inch cut. TC, turbo cut.

frosty90 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a MF 135 with turf / grass tyres and I'm looking into buying a finishing mower to cut my acre of lawn. Its a fairly open space and I have a push mower for doing the edges, around trees etc.

Has anyone here any experience with tractor mounted finishing mowers?

I'm looking at 6 foot/ 180cm wide models.

Not sure to go for a
    - Fleming / Major (rebranded Italian -made) for circa €1800. (without mulcher at this price)
    - Chinese made Gwaza / Danso / Clontrac or similar. Some of these such as the Gwaza have a mulcher (extra set of blades and enclosed housing to retain the grass.) These seem to come in around 1500 - 1600 inc. Vat, delivery etc.

Has anyone here any experience of using any of these finishing mowers?

Thanks!
    They're intended for park and amenity maintenance. Is your acre a lawn or more like a paddock? Massey 135 is a farm tractor, (from a different era granted), a bit heavy for such a small area, (as heavy as a car, 1.3 tons). it's the amount of sharp turns that will ridge and score the turf, not ideal if you want a fine lawn finish, but, as you already have the MF, I can see your logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

deezell wrote: »
    Pretty much a Castelgarden generic. Standard decks, wheels, steering, drive, with a few cosmetic variations.

jeepers every second ride on out there seems to be a castelgarden generic

*handy for parts i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

The handiest thing is you can get cheap replacement decks which ultimately is the weakest link and often the deciding factor when scrapping a mower.

I remember way back browsing in my nearby John Deere dealers, ogling the eye wateringly priced JD ride ons, then I looked at their new range of economy models. I was looking straight at my own TC102 in dark green. I think currently MTD makes JD economy mowers. Heres a list from Mowerparts.ie;
    "Castelgarden, Mountfield, Alpina, Stiga, Efco, Oleo Mac, Older Honda, Viking & John Deere Ride on Lawnmowers are manufactured by GGP and use the same spare parts."
    GGP in turn are now part of or rebadged as Stiga Group.

• Advertisement

so the overlord is Stiga

so it's basically 4 main manufactures then...Stiga, Honda, Stihl and Husqvarna ?

so the overlord is Stiga

so it's basically 4 main manufactures then...Stiga, Honda, Stihl and Husqvarna ?
    It's confusingly complex. Mergers, takeovers, third party manufacturers without a unique own brand, ( ike the companies who make for Aldi/Lidl).
    As well as Stiga group;

Briggs & Stratton manufacturers and markets products through its Briggs & Stratton, Simplicity, Snapper Ferris, Vanguard, Allmand, Billy Goat, Murray, Branco and Victa brands
    American Yard Products (AYP) makes MTD, Noma, Dynamark, YardPro, Weed Eater, Sears Craftsman
    MTD's regional brands include Troy-Bilt, in the Americas, Rover in the Pacific, and WOLF-Garten in Europe.
    Husqvarna owned by AYP.
    MTD stands for Murray Tractor Division.
    MTD and Husqvarna make Craftsman mower for Sears, but.. Craftsman Black & Decker make a different range if mowers.
    MTD make Cub Cadet. Lawn flite.
    Toro owns Hayter.
    Honda ride on mowers are John Deere.

Confused? You should be. No business can survive without out sourcing, third party, geneic production etc.
    Some hide their tracks very well, but in the end, identical parts turn up in allsorts of brands, and recognised brand names can sell any product, not just the core product of the manufacturer. Does anyone believe that JCB make boots? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There are many videos on YT from the US tellin folk "if you want a proper JD mower, don't buy it in the department store, go to a proper JD dealer instead"
    Some claiming issues with build quality between the dealer version, and the others.

Husqvarna and Stihl (whose mowers are formerly Viking) are two brands who guard their brand/dealer integrity ferociously. I rang a Viking/Stihl dealer last year for a mower belt, quoting the part no. His immediate, almost angry, reply was, "Where did you get that part number". He fobbed me off, never returned the call with a price or availability. It took weeks of searching to find the Viking parts diagrams btw, and Stihl is almost impossible to access. I think I read that Stihl went ' big box' in the US on some products, causing war with dealers, fans, etc. Needs must though if you're making the stuff and only nerds and devotees are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Husqvarna and Stihl (whose mowers are formerly Viking) are two brands who guard their brand/dealer integrity ferociously. I rang a Viking/Stihl dealer last year for a mower belt, quoting the part no. His immediate, almost angry, reply was, "Where did you get that part number". He fobbed me off, never returned the call with a price or availability. It took weeks of searching to find the Viking parts diagrams btw, and Stihl is almost impossible to access. I think I read that Stihl went ' big box' in the US on some products, causing war with dealers, fans, etc. Needs must though if you're making the stuff and only nerds and devotees are buying.

https://www.motoruf.com/n/partslists.html?id=694766

Use this website to find your stihl/Viking part number. I have no connection with them but I have used site to get part numbers and also bought some items from them. No problems to deal with.
    Once you have part number you can usually find item and figure out belt sizes etc
    There main website also has husqvarna and multiple other brands for diagrams and parts.

• Advertisement

This website has parts diagrams for all Stihl and Honda
    https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/

You have to setup a trade account to access diagrams. Just fill out the form with anything you want. They will email you looking for further details but you can ignore that and still be able to login.
    They probably have other brands too.

This website has parts diagrams for all Stihl and Honda
    https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/

You have to setup a trade account to access diagrams. Just fill out the form with anything you want. They will email you looking for further details but you can ignore that and still be able to login.
    They probably have other brands too.

Great info. Having access to parts diagrams and part numbers is the key to cost saving. I previously could not crack the Viking/Stihl fortress, but eventually found the full manuals I sought on a German supplier site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

looks like the sort of thing they use on golf courses.

Mars Rover? Irish style. Starts off in large wilderness, a few hours later, parked outside the pub.

is this price right? if so its the bargain of the year?

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/westwood-t1600-ride-on-mower/27813507

Edit: its sold, but it was a westwood similar to this for just €750 in good nick and all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but...i want a lawnmower that will last 20 years if not longer, that i can easily service myself and to cut about 80m2 of grass. Is the Honda HRX537 HYE the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times but...i want a lawnmower that will last 20 years if not longer, that i can easily service myself and to cut about 80m2 of grass. Is the Honda HRX537 HYE the answer?

I just handed over a 2002 Tecumseh to the brother in law...starts first time, every time.
    Do you need the self propelled or would something more basic do as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I would like the self propelled alright. I think i'm just more sold on the polymer body over the steel body but maybe i'm just being mad and the steel body will do fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I would like the self propelled alright. I think i'm just more sold on the polymer body over the steel body but maybe i'm just being mad and the steel body will do fine...

Steel rusts but will take more of a beating than the polymer.

If you aren't cutting a rough area then polymer is great and last forever if you don't leave it out in the sun even then modern polymers last really well.

You can look after a steel deck and make last almost forever but most people never get around to the effort required.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

No, hrh 536 hxe

I have 2 one 17 years old and one 10 years old and neither miss a beat and the newer one has been used commercially every year of its life so far.

A mower with a .53m cut will mow 80m2 in a straight line at a sedentary 4km pace in 2minutes 24 seconds, but a bit longer obviously with turns and corner. I guess with that workload every week for half the year it should outlive you. Seriously, thats a €1500 mower for a postage stamp garden. Virtually any mower would last with that workload once you clean it down, keep inside, and winter service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Cut the grass yesterday with my Castelgarden XT180HD but when I went to disengage the blades (electro switch) they wouldn't stop. Turned engine off and restarted and they started spinning again straight away. Anyone know if this is an easy fix or what the problem might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Anybody got any feedback to offer on Weibang mowers, look like a good machine but would appreciate any opinions from owners about reliability and aftersales/parts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

Hey guys,

Need a new mower, looking at the Pro Lawn 42cm 139cc Hyundai Push Petrol Lawnmower

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278

Any thoughts? Good lawnmower?

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Cut the grass yesterday with my Castelgarden XT180HD but when I went to disengage the blades (electro switch) they wouldn't stop. Turned engine off and restarted and they started spinning again straight away. Anyone know if this is an easy fix or what the problem might be?

Most likely the blade switch is burned out and permanently on. Disconnect the cables from the switch or clutch to see if it opens. If the clutch is still engaged without power, then it is seized or faulty. This is the switch.
    https://www.mowerparts.ie/castelgarden-blade-engage-switch---pull-type-1184500680-214-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭shane b

Hey guys,

Need a new mower, looking at the Pro Lawn 42cm 139cc Hyundai Push Petrol Lawnmower

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-42cm-139cc-hyundai-push-petrol-lawnmower-1153278

Any thoughts? Good lawnmower?

It's a basic entry level lawnmower. Should be ok for a few years if the lawn is small and not too rough. Parts for those Hyundai engines would be hard got through repair shops here so when it stops working it may not be worth fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭the deftone

shane b wrote: »
    It's a basic entry level lawnmower. Should be ok for a few years if the lawn is small and not too rough. Parts for those Hyundai engines would be hard got through repair shops here so when it stops working it may not be worth fixing.

Would you recommend another lawnmower that wouldn't break the bank? The lawn isn't overly small to be honest.

Would you recommend another lawnmower that wouldn't break the bank? The lawn isn't overly small to be honest.
    I seen this 20 inch cut Mountfield with a Honda GCV 170x engine in B&Q Naas yesterday as I walked past. I was impressed by how sturdy it looked and felt, for a fairly generic mower. Good value for that size and engine at a little over €400 iirc. Mountfield SP53H 160cc.

mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower~8008984817999_01c_bq?$MOB_PREV$&$width=2500&$height=2500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

I seen this 20 inch cut Mountfield with a Honda GCV 170x engine in B&Q Naas yesterday as I walked past. I was impressed by how sturdy it looked and felt, for a fairly generic mower. Good value for that size and engine at a little over €400 iirc. Mountfield SP53H 160cc.

mountfield-sp53h-160cc-petrol-lawnmower~8008984817999_01c_bq?$MOB_PREV$&$width=2500&$height=2500

Seen that model and it does look good, €495 in b+q and being a Mountfield with Honda engine parts and repairs should be no problem.

Advertisement