Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭deezell

damo80 wrote: »
    https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-46cm-petrol-lawn-mower/p/710857446914000

is this worth the money or am i best stay well away? It's to cut a fairly large area (about3/4 acre) of rough uneven grass/ground. currently i use a strimmer :(

It's a lightweight cheap mower for a small neat flat lawn. Put the money into a professional strimmer/brushcutter, handheld or wheeled. Something like this.

418N5k5S55L._AC_SY580_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

damo80 wrote: »
    https://www.aldi.ie/ferrex-46cm-petrol-lawn-mower/p/710857446914000

is this worth the money or am i best stay well away? It's to cut a fairly large area (about3/4 acre) of rough uneven grass/ground. currently i use a strimmer :(

Once you give the area a right good strim and then a better one a week or two later that lawn mower on the right height setting will save you hours of hardship.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

My local Aldi didn’t get any of the lawnmowers on Thursday but they got a stack of them this morning. Just in case anyone else tried to get one on Thursday, you might get one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

My local Aldi didn’t get any of the lawnmowers on Thursday but they got a stack of them this morning. Just in case anyone else tried to get one on Thursday, you might get one today.

Are these good mowers for the money ?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭shane b

Daz_ wrote:

Depends on your expectations really. If your lawn is a standard housing estate lawn or not too lumpy it may be worth a try.
    Price wise similar spec mower from woodies is 300 and similar honda is about 600 euro.
    It's made in china so parts are through a company in the uk. Parts may be hard got through the regular channels here. It's more of a throw away when broken rather than repair mower.
    I bought an Aldi hedgetrimmer a few years ago and it's still going. I had to get the carb cleaned last year for it to start but I haven't needed any mechanical or electrical parts as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Went to take out the lawnmower the other day for the first cut and discovered the spring connecting to the thermostat arm is missing, the young lad was using the lawnmower as a step to reach his toys in the shed and has no idea where it flew to.
    Is there any way to bypass it? It controls the autochoke in place of a prime bulb but it's more hassle than anything. I'm wondering would a different carb with a prime bulb fit as the carb could do with a change anyway. It's a B&S 675ex engine and otherwise performs perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Daz_ wrote: »

To be honest, I really don’t know. I think the 3 year warranty is an attraction to buy one though!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

My shoulders are causing me bother so I will need to replace an old pull start mower with a button start. It usually takes about an hour to cut the grass with a petrol mower, front and back so I am not sure if I would be better going petrol again rather than battery, would there be something out there that suits for €500 or so or do I need to up the budget?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

kc78 wrote: »
    My shoulders are causing me bother so I will need to replace an old pull start mower with a button start. It usually takes about an hour to cut the grass with a petrol mower, front and back so I am not sure if I would be better going petrol again rather than battery, would there be something out there that suits for €500 or so or do I need to up the budget?

How big is your lawn?

The back is about 50ft x 60ft with much smaller ones on the side and front, the front is quiet steep.

• Advertisement

The back is about 50ft x 60ft with much smaller ones on the side and front, the front is quiet steep.

Possibly look into a small robot. They’re amazing.

Will they work if there isn't access between the two gardens, I would have to carry it out the front?

Will they work if there isn't access between the two gardens, I would have to carry it out the front?

Not sure if lifting is an option

This will do the job, quite well priced, the Briggs and Stratton InStart engines are very good, battery is a detatchable power tool type, just bring it in and charge.
    https://www.sweeneygrassmachinery.com/product/gardencare-lmx46sp/
    I got a Cobra 53cm cut electric start with a bigger version of this engine, the pull start was getting a bit much for the operator, (swmbo). I do the real mowing of course, sitting on my arse on the tractor.
    The kind of cordless mower you would get for €500 might just about be able to run for an hour on a single charge, it depends on how heavy the cut is. I'm having doubts about these cordless mowers. Unless you get a very high capacity one, I can see all the medium range ones scrapped after only a short few years due to failing battery capacity, until you're recharging it twice or three times to finish what used to take one charge. Then you discover a replacement battery pack is half the price of a new mower, if you can even get one. A well minded petrol mower will work for twenty years, and there's older than that out there still working.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116627837&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notification#post116627837

There’s a big thread there, you might fined your answer

deezell wrote: »
    This will do the job, quite well priced, the Briggs and Stratton InStart engines are very good, battery is a detatchable power tool type, just bring it in and charge.
    https://www.sweeneygrassmachinery.com/product/gardencare-lmx46sp/
    I got a Cobra 53cm cut electric start with a bigger version of this engine, the pull start was getting a bit much for the operator, (swmbo). I do the real mowing of course, sitting on my arse on the tractor.
    The kind of cordless mower you would get for €500 might just about be able to run for an hour on a single charge, it depends on how heavy the cut is. I'm having doubts about these cordless mowers. Unless you get a very high capacity one, I can see all the medium range ones scrapped after only a short few years due to failing battery capacity, until you're recharging it twice or three times to finish what used to take one charge. Then you discover a replacement battery pack is half the price of a new mower, if you can even get one. A well minded petrol mower will work for twenty years, and there's older than that out there still working.

Thanks, this is the type of thing I was looking for should make life much easier

I actually don't mind cutting the grass so I will leave the robot for now and come back to it when I get too lazy

Need a replacement part for my harry mower.
    Does anyone know the the part the blade bolts into is called ?
    I'd call it the spindle but not seeing what i need.
    Sheered the two locating spuds off mine using a dethatching blade.
    Have it bodged for the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

blade boss

Usually called the blade boss, blade adapter or mounting boss. Harry mowers also know as Active mowers. Mounting bosses can be generic, but having said that, there's a lot of variation. A Harry/active dealer would be a good start. The exact model of mower might help find the parts list, the part no., then a search will produce generics if it is used on other brands.
    Bodge can work. My 20 something year old Stiga 55 spent half its life with the spuds sheared. I drilled the spuds and filled them epoxy, up into the blade hole, then tighted it well. Still good when I sold it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Taking delivery of my Castelgarden XDC150HD later this week. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.

That's the post.
    Thanks to Deezell for the sound advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Hi Guys,

I got a mower (PRO LAWN 46CM 139CC HYUNDAI SELF PROPELLED PETROL LAWNMOWER) from Woodies just over a year ago. Was running fine. Yesterday after about 3 minutes of cutting there seemed to be a 'not very loud' bang/puff of air (not sure how to describe) and the mower immediately started running slower. The rpm of the blade seems about half. The mower itself moves about half speed and even the loudness of the mower seems lower.
    I've little to no mower experience. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. It had petrol (had just topped it up with new petrol) and oil.

Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

brianon wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I got a mower (PRO LAWN 46CM 139CC HYUNDAI SELF PROPELLED PETROL LAWNMOWER) from Woodies just over a year ago. Was running fine. Yesterday after about 3 minutes of cutting there seemed to be a 'not very loud' bang/puff of air (not sure how to describe) and the mower immediately started running slower. The rpm of the blade seems about half. The mower itself moves about half speed and even the loudness of the mower seems lower.
    I've little to no mower experience. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. It had petrol (had just topped it up with new petrol) and oil.

Any help appreciated :)
    Were you pushing mower in around trees or hedges ? Possibly governor spring has been caught ?
    Or did it happen in open lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Thank you for the reply. It happened in open lawn i would say. Near hedge but certainly no branches or not in hedge. Slightly longer grass is about it.

brianon wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply. It happened in open lawn i would say. Near hedge but certainly no branches or not in hedge. Slightly longer grass is about it.

Check if the crankcase breather hose has popped off. If it's still running its unlikely to be anything serious or terminal, though a blown head gasket might be responsible. It might still start and run, until the compression leak got too great to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

are Honda's better engines than Briggs & Stratton? or are they on a par to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

fryup wrote: »
    are Honda's better engines than Briggs & Stratton? or are they on a par to each other?

Honda would be the best at all levels.

Wake me up when it's all over.

that's why they're more expensive?

fryup wrote: »
    that's why they're more expensive?
    They don't make the GCV consumer engines in China, so perception is a premium Japanese made product, though all GCVs are produced in Italy and US, for their respective markets, and elsewhere, so no cheap slave produced engines, thus higher price.

• Advertisement

and B&S make theirs in sweatshops?

Advertisement