Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Thebotski wrote: »
    So was my mam.. There's a twitter page called PhotosOfDublin & the guy that runs it is from Blanchardstown he's gonna see if he can find some & post them up, would be nice to see them back in the old days

Does her maiden name begin with V? We might be cousins

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Thebotski

Nolimits wrote: »
    Does her maiden name begin with V? We might be cousins

What a small world! Yeah that's right, they moved to St.Brigids park after there :)

Thebotski wrote: »
    What a small world! Yeah that's right, they moved to St.Brigids park after there :)

They did, I have some fairly early memories of going up to that house when I was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

A very small world, because I'm the one who is looking for your photos :D

A very small world, because I'm the one who is looking for your photos :D

You're running that account on twitter? Have to say, love your work. Keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nolimits wrote: »
    You're running that account on twitter? Have to say, love your work. Keep it up.

Me too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Gaspode wrote: »
    No info on these photos, just came across them on a site

Blanchardstown Brass Band in 1946, looks like they're marching in Pheonix Park?
    I think this band is still on the go.
    blanchardstown-brass-band-1936.jpg

I know this is not your pic or info about pic gaspode but I'm not sure if this is 1946.

reason being we originally thought that was my granda in the middle - tall guy in light coloured suit (timeframe matched and instrument etc) but on closer inspection and based on clothing styles on men and women (cloche hats) we think this is earlier - more 1920/30's.

chuck norris this might be your pic? And you might correct me or agree? (You might have a source for the 1946 date)

Great pic all the same :-)

amdublin wrote: »
    I know this is not your pic or info about pic gaspode but I'm not sure if this is 1946.

reason being we originally thought that was my granda in the middle - tall guy in light coloured suit (timeframe matched and instrument etc) but on closer inspection and based on clothing styles on men and women (cloche hats) we think this is earlier - more 1920/30's.

chuck norris this might be your pic? And you might correct me or agree? (You might have a source for the 1946 date)

Great pic all the same :-)

Hi

Indeed I want to tweet it, but I need to nail the details on it. It's an excellent photo.

By the way, there has to be some gems sitting in old cottages or private collections from original blanchies of the Blanchardstown area - it's a shame there is not allot more.

Some of the oldies of the village are brilliant, but i know there has to be more of them, if people would just check their grand parents collections.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

I know Jimmy Godley well was talking to him at a funeral in Feb this year. He's keeping well

I was in the Blanch Brass band. The band had a shack on the mill Rd behind the vineyard pub O Dwyers .

Part of the film "The Purple Taxi" with fred astaire was shot in Dun Laoghaire with the Blanch Brass Band playing in the band stand . They are one of the oldest brass band in the world if not the oldest .google the history of the Blanchardstown Brass band. I cant post links here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Long time Blanchardstown resident here, hoping one of you good folks has soon info on an old abandoned stone bridge. As part of my runs each week over the past couple months, I've taken in the dirt trail which runs alongside the Tolka next to Connolly. There's a historic bridge flanked on both sides by the remnants of an asphalt roadway. I'm just curious to know where this bridge served and when it was last used. I'll take some pics the next time I'm there but it's in this location... though due to tree coverage it's concealed.

https://www.google.ie/maps/search/dublin+15/@53.3857856,-6.3668092,279m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There was an old lane around there leading out from Abbotstown which crossed the tolka, so it's possibly that.
    Have a look at this map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,708503,738681,6,9 and apply the Historic 25' overlay to see the old map. Adjust the overlay amount to compare the old and new maps.

EDIT: Beauf got there before me!

Gaspode wrote: »
    There was an old lane around there leading out from Abbotstown which crossed the tolka, so it's possibly that.
    Have a look at this map: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,708503,738681,6,9 and apply the Historic 25' overlay to see the old map. Adjust the overlay amount to compare the old and new maps.

EDIT: Beauf got there before me!

We used to hang around over in what are the state labs, particularly in the early to mid 90's and before it was largely demolished. I was once frog marched out down that small road and over the bridge by the gotchi (security) of the day.

I entered the state labs lands from the Corduff side, to rob apples, pears and gooseberries from the old Abbotstown enclosed garden behind the house, but was frog marched out to the entrance that is now on the river road and the M50.

It was a long way home.

PS: I can include aerial images of exactly where i was referring to if needed.

Thanks everyone, didn't think of checking the OSI historic maps, so mystery quickly solved. I'll snap a few pics anyway, it does look eerily out of place seeing this stone bridge amongst the woodland.

I didn't really see what it was from the osi map?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Where the little red cross is the bridge.
    You can see the new roads merged with the old map. I assume this is what SnakePlissken is referring to.

picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=15332

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

was once frog marched out down that small road and over the bridge by the gotchi (security) of the day.

Ha ha. That's what we used to call security at the roadstone quarry we used to cut through to get to an old farm and orchard in Tallaght in the 80s. First time I've seen it used anywhere else in the last decade or two.

Back on topic, how far can you go down that route towards the M50 ? I've often wondered as I usually pull away from running alongside the Tolka at the entrance to the hospital at the village.

You can actually continue on right past the M50 underpass and down the River Road, it can be slippery underfoot but very enjoyable track.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Super map thereat the OSI.

I remember taking that road up to Finglas past Dunsink when the lodge is near Hillbrook.

Is the graveyard still there? If so how does one get to it?

A great shot of Blanchardstown village. I reckon it's 83/84 - originally I thought it was 1990 but the bypass is not even under construction and i played on that road as it was being built as a 10 year old in 1990 :)

blanch.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

The road to the hospital seems much bigger in the picture than it is now

Murt10 wrote: »
    The road to the hospital seems much bigger in the picture than it is now

That bend in the road is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The beech trees are still beside the Church and playing grounds, early 80's would be right

Anyone know when St. Brigid’s new school was built, that would give us a bang on date

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

oblivious wrote: »
    The beech trees are still beside the Church and playing grounds, early 80's would be right

Anyone know when St. Brigid’s new school was built, that would give us a bang on date

Not sure about the school, but Superquinn is already there, which means it can be no earlier than the early 80s. And Deanstown shopping centre (Abrakebabra etc.) isn't yet in place, which would have appeared around what, mid-80s?

Church extension is there, and the old Davy and Phelans house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

beauf wrote: »
    Church extension is there, and the old Davy and Phelans house.

That extension might even have been there by the late 70s as far as I remember.

No earlier certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

oblivious wrote: »

I was in Brigids at the the time, if memory serves me, we moved into the new school in 5th class which would suggest a 1984 - 85 construction period. I was delighted to get out of those old decrepit prefabs (even by 80's standards)...

• Advertisement

I've just realised that a lot of these places, extensions, I think of as "new" are actually there 20~30yrs.

Have to get the Werther's on the way home.

Advertisement