Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Rosser wrote: »
    Yep the bus driver was Joe and the conductor was Noel, two absolute gentlemen.

God yes you're right I remember now.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Anyone know where I might get any photos of Joe Malones coal merchants that used to be over the railway tracks in Coolmine in the 80’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭dibs101

Guinness69 wrote: »

Thanks.... I’ve actually tried to join that group and heard nothing back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Odd request, but does anyone have any photos of the old landfills in Dunsink or around the Tolka Valley River? Was surprised to hear that Tolka Valley Park used to be a landfill, especially as a river runs through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Guinness69 wrote: »

Can’t get the link to open in FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jebus Diced

VonLuck wrote: »
    Was surprised to hear that Tolka Valley Park used to be a landfill, especially as a river runs through it.

The river was 1km away from the dump on the other side of the road!

Odd request, but does anyone have any photos of the old landfills in Dunsink or around the Tolka Valley River? Was surprised to hear that Tolka Valley Park used to be a landfill, especially as a river runs through it.
    The river was 1km away from the dump on the other side of the road!

I seem to remember a very large land fill project in the late 60’s or very early 70’s in what is now the Tolka Valley Park, which runs parallel to the Tolka Valley Road (R102) right down to the N2.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As you are driving the M50 from Finglas to Blanchardstown there is a large hilly area on the left, you'll often see horses in there. That was Dunsink dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

miamee wrote: »
    As you are driving the M50 from Finglas to Blanchardstown there is a large hilly area on the left, you'll often see horses in there. That was Dunsink dump.

He's not referring to that but a much older one pre 1970s.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/how-green-is-my-tolka-valley-1.1358679

I just assumed those marsh lands were natural never occurred to me they weren't.

• Advertisement

Yes that was Dunsink Dump. However, it is the earlier land fill facility, which was known as the Finglas dump and was located in what is now the Tolka Valley Park, which runs parallel to the Tolka Valley Road (R102) right down to the N2.
    I posted about earlier.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I didn't know there were two separate ones. I must be too young to remember :pac:

I didn't know there were two separate ones. I must be too young to remember :pac:

Long before Blanchardstown had either Quinnsworth in Roselawn or SuperQuinn behind the Greyhound. We were all bundled into the the family car and “brought” shopping to SuperQuinn in Finglas village and on our way we would see the dump in action.
    The Tolka Valley dump resembled something out of a post nuclear disaster movie. Guess that why it stuck in the mind for over 50 years.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Long before Blanchardstown had either Quinnsworth in Roselawn or SuperQuinn behind the Greyhound. We were all bundled into the the family car and “brought” shopping to SuperQuinn in Finglas village and on our way we would see the dump in action.
    The Tolka Valley dump resembled something out of a post nuclear disaster movie. Guess that why it stuck in the mind for over 50 years.

That's why I'd be very curious to see what it looked like! If you walk along the river you can see some rusty water running out of the hill from all the metal still corroding away beneath the ground.

You might be able to do a foi request to fingal on any environmental reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Talk of dumps reminds me of something the boards historians may be able to help me with. Story goes that they planned to fill Dunsink to local ground level but as it was filling quickly, they redefined full as "ground level plus ten metres" (or something to that effect). This allowed the landfill to receive rubbish for another couple of years until alternatives became available. And this explains why there is now a very noticeable windswept grassy hilltop across the road from the Observatory which was presumably built near the top of the natural hill.

Thing is that while I recall hearing this at the time well enough to confidently say it to others, I didn't find a reference to back myself up (news article or planning ref, etc).

When I first saw the Dunsink dump it was mostly level with the Observatory and I would say those large diggers where working below the road level in some places. It was a long time ago now though. I think my first memory was of being quite small, and it was like driving down a country lane and was quite hidden. The Mad Max wasteland vista happened over many years.

It seems strange now to look at the M3/M50 and they are basically valleys in places now. But that was all dug out. Its unrecognisable.

beauf wrote: »
    When I first saw the Dunsink dump it was mostly level with the Observatory and I would say those large diggers where working below the road level in some places. It was a long time ago now though. I think my first memory was of being quite small, and it was like driving down a country lane and was quite hidden. The Mad Max wasteland vista happened over many years.

It seems strange now to look at the M3/M50 and they are basically valleys in places now. But that was all dug out. Its unrecognisable.

The Land fill I referring to is not Dunsink.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Land fill I referring to is not Dunsink.

I was replying to jlang.

You'd have to be 60-70+ to know about the one you're talking about. So I thank you for making me feel slightly younger. ;)

I was replying to jlang.

You'd have to be 60-70+ to know about the one you're talking about. So I thank you for making me feel slightly younger. ;)

What that you to do with the price of fish?

Still in my 50’s and loving everyday of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I was replying to jlang.

I’m 46 and I remember it well, our neighbour had an allotment up Scribblestown Lane, the ruin of Scribblestown House was still there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Scribblestown house is still extant isnt it? The owner sells Christmass trees from there most years & has/had a paintball facility there too. Unless there was an older version of the house that predated yhe one there now?

Rosser wrote: »
    I’m 46 and I remember it well, our neighbour had an allotment up Scribblestown Lane, the ruin of Scribblestown House was still there.

Probably my memory failing so. I don't remember it at all, and I was older than you. But I have never had a great memory. Used to be on the River road and Dunsink lane a lot from the end of the 70s onwards. Anything I can find says it was covered in by then. Maybe it wasn't visible from the River Road. But the Wetlands were already established, they haven't changed much in all that time. Maybe its my memory playing tricks. I assume they were close to old dump. Maybe not. I didn't even know there was another dump till someone mentioned it. Even now I can only find two mentions of it online. No photos. Pity. The only time I went up to Scribblestown was to the Aricultural place and the pitch and putt. Haven't been there in years. Didn't know about airsoft/paintball. Wouldn't mind trying that.

I can remember going over a hump back bridge to Dunsink and there were some very like medieval looking ruins beside it. Anyone know what that was. I think it was mentioned on one of the local history books.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Gaspode wrote: »
    Scribblestown house is still extant isnt it? The owner sells Christmass trees from there most years & has/had a paintball facility there too. Unless there was an older version of the house that predated yhe one there now?

I might be wrong on the name, there was a derelict gate lodge at the gate in to
    the allotment and a lime tree avenue, not honestly sure where the house was other than it had burned down at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

That's why I'd be very curious to see what it looked like! If you walk along the river you can see some rusty water running out of the hill from all the metal still corroding away beneath the ground.

Could you highlight what section of the river this is? Would love to take a look :)

Could you highlight what section of the river this is? Would love to take a look :)

It's down near the golf course. You can actually see the rust on the footpath on Google Earth:

3PfQTRR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's down near the golf course. You can actually see the rust on the footpath on Google Earth:

3PfQTRR.jpg
    I was unsure where you meant but I found it on Google Maps

I would have assumed it was between scribblestown lane and the river road since thats wetlands and the neighboring estate is referenced in old articles about it.

Did it really extend as far as Tolka Park Golf course? I used the river road a lot very late 70's and early 80's. I have no memory of this dump.

I got sucked into looking at old photos of the area and the best I could get was the construction of the Ratoath Road bridge over the Tolka. You can see the mound in the background has been freshly built up.

IMAGE1

• Advertisement
Advertisement