Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

A great facebook page for any that are interested in Blanchardstown . https://www.facebook.com/groups/320676788135706/?fref=nf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zaph wrote: »
    Where was that?

It was down the road toward the hospital, behind the Blanchardstown house.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Don't think so.... was where the Vincent de Paul shop is

• Advertisement

miss misty wrote: »

When was it knocked down?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

You sure ? They say on the replies that it was on the way to Waterville, just before the river (so I was guessing on the road that used to be the entrance road for the JCM hospital. Apparently knocked many years ago, but the bike outside would indicate that it's not that long ago !

dodzy wrote: »
    You sure ? They say on the replies that it was on the way to Waterville, just before the river (so I was guessing on the road that used to be the entrance road for the JCM hospital. Apparently knocked many years ago, but the bike outside would indicate that it's not that long ago !

I have an aerial photo from 83 and that building is not where the SVP is and I was certain this post office was further back toward the hospital on the old road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

One of the first single manned double deckers, the 38c, in this vid. Looks like it's driving through Blanchardstown Village in places, no idea where the end is.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2016/0309/773586-one-man-double-decker-buses/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ThisRegard wrote: »
    One of the first single manned double deckers, the 38c, in this vid. Looks like it's driving through Blanchardstown Village in places, no idea where the end is.

Some passengers have concerns over passengers travelling with a pram without the assistance of a conductor.

"It’s hoped that obliging male passengers will help out doing what the conductor has traditionally done as a courtesy, not part of his job."

Different times

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »

The last scene could be where WellView and Parslickstown maybe now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

The end of the clip looks like here ...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3952052,-6.3756865,3a,75y,128.85h,73.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-BNpbbl7r_XFJetoFkkyFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Corduff looking onto Snugborough Rd, The field on the far side of the road is where Waterville/Aquatic centre is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't remember it even before then. Maybe it was the 60's.

beauf wrote: »
    I don't remember it even before then. Maybe it was the 60's.
    Drop handlebars......in the 60s :eek:

Drop handlebars......in the 60s :eek:

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Drop handlebars date from between the two world wars (The Bicycle - Towards a Global History
    By P. Smethurst) so it's not impossible.
    (giving away my age here but I remember my neighbour having a 'racer' in the very early 70s and always wanted one)

Remember when they were new they had an amazingly sparkly floor.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Drop handlebars date from between the two world wars (The Bicycle - Towards a Global History
    By P. Smethurst) so it's not impossible.
    (giving away my age here but I remember my neighbour having a 'racer' in the very early 70s and always wanted one)

I got a Viking 5 speed racer for my 12th birthday in 1981. Loved it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What year would that be approx?

Anyone good on old reg plates?

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »

I'd take a guess and go 88

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

amdublin wrote: »

GSI 346, would be early 1980's, I'll hazard a guess at 1982.
    Drove a little blue Nissan around then and the reg was PSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

1983 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

You are spot on, it used to be on the site of where the St. Vincent's shop is now. I went past it almost everyday on the 39 bus when I was going to school in Coolmine back in the 1970's. The colour photo dates from the mid 80's.
    Using the photo from chucknorris in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95580332&postcount=141
    I've tried to highlight the location as best as possible. The large house to its right had been demolished when the photo with the racing bike outside was taken. Click on the photo below for a larger image.
    bRuwep.png

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Was still there 83 / 84

I'm not sure I remember it. When you went in the door was there a long counter on the right with the post office right at the end facing you. Just a wall on the left. Maybe I'm imagining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Considering the year started appearing on plates in 1987, certainly not.

Jesus chuck, you're miles off :D

Bruthal, take an apple from the box !

380211.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Anybody remember the Twin Oaks? It was on the old Navan Road, where Bradys is now? It had long display windows with bottles and tankards etc displayed in. there never seemed to be anybody in it.it looked a bit like a Roadhouse?

• Advertisement

Jesus chuck, you're miles off :D

Bruthal, take an apple from the box !

380211.jpeg

I'm still holding out with 88 :-) the bus maybe from 83, but buses were used for many years and that bus doesn't look spanking new :D

Advertisement