Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 Historic Pictures Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

All of these photos are so cool. Especially the 2 old maps from the 1830's!

Thanks for posting them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The OSI have a great feature in which you can look at a modern map of any part of Ireland, and overlay old maps to see what the area would have been like years ago. I've spent waaaaay too much time doing this over the past week!

Link.

Have fun

PS for those asking about the cemetry at Passifyoucan, you can see it clearly just east of Abbotstown house on the older maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Gaspode wrote: »
    The OSI have a great feature in which you can look at a modern map of any part of Ireland, and overlay old maps to see what the area would have been like years ago. I've spent waaaaay too much time doing this over the past week!

Link.

Have fun

Thats a great link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Gaspode wrote: »

Link.

Have fun

PS for those asking about the cemetry at Passifyoucan, you can see it clearly just east of Abbotstown house on the older maps.

Excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 r3nu41

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

r3nu41, I've removed your picture as the Reichstag is not, nor ever has been in Dublin 15. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GBranigan

Does anybody know of an ancient Holy Well that is supposed to be just outside the eastern boundary Wall of the Caveen Graveyard, and known as the Caveen Well or St Coemhin's Well?

It was supposed to be covered before the 1930s by Lord Holmpatrick, however, maps of the area show a large pond & stream right beside it.

Can anybody help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sw15

Hi, just to let you know that Jim Lacey (author Candle in the Window) has put together a free exhibition of old photos and prints of the area in Blanchardstown library, as part of Heritage Week. There will be about 60 images so there might be something of interest! Exhibition iwill be just inside the front door of the library and will be there Sat 20 Aug - Fri 26 Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PASSIFYOUCAN

At its best last century.
    historyofcountyd06ball0.jpg
    035ieq.jpg
    038ts.jpg
    039zxj.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Links not working for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thanks for those pics, looks like it did the last time I as there (many moons ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tolkavet

I just found this thread.
    Here are a few random answers to Miscellaneous queries.
    The well at caveen with the spring was covered in when the Blanch bypass was built in the '80's.
    The O'Reilly's shop was actually where Jenna's flowers is. The kid with the pup is my father, TP O'Reilly. It was origially an RIC barracks, and the bolts for the steel shutters are still in the widow cills.
    TP O'Reilly bought the NIB building in the 60's
    Yes indeed Johnny Godley had great underwear, including all in one's for men, complete with trapdoor. Johnny is still alive and very well.
    Passifyoucan is betwwen Lucan Clonee and Dunboyne.
    Belleville was the property in Ashtown, and I sincerely doubt if Marion Hendron was ever "done" in her life. She was a great poker player.
    I can trace my family in Blanchardstown back to mid 1760's, and my Great grandfather owned the original licence and site of the Bell. There has been a pub there since the 19th century
    As for the Aeial photo's I will get to them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tolkavet

Brady's farm, Laurel Lodge, was on the far side of the Castleknock rd.
    The farm you are describing where Ashleigh Gn is,was Crevlin. It was owned by the Corcoran family, who's earliest record in the area was 1765

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Blanchardstown on 18 June 1973.

Work has begun on Corduff and much of the area between Coolmine and Blanchardstown village is already built up with new housing estates such as Roselawn, Glenville and Coolmine Woods.

71392149_osi_blanch_aerial_image_june_1973_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Blanchardstown on 18 June 1973.

Work has begun on Corduff and much of the area between Coolmine and Blanchardstown village is already built up with new housing estates such as Roselawn, Glenville and Coolmine Woods.

Fascinating. I see the Coolmine Community School near the bottom left, identical to how it looks now on google earth images. I lived in corduff from when it was new in the 70`s until 2003. The park, as in the open green, has a lot less trees around it now. But the group of trees known as the fairy ring is still as it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭John C 1981

suey71 wrote: »
    Btw. the house still there. Its the beautiful old Georgian house just after the scouts den.

That's my house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Corduff aerial shot, 1958

620377_292253734215381_90558032_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28 amazingannieb

F.Russell wrote: »
    I am about to reply to Thread No. 11

althought you have got the area right that house that was posted is not mangles house i was in it more than once mangles house had 3 windows on the top a front door centre on the ground floor with 2 windows either side i played in the field out side the house and use to pick the odd mushroom from there i only moved to blanchardstown in the mid 50 as a 2year old mrs mangle and my mum were good friends mr mangle as most of the kid in those day would know, usually got 12 o clock mass he was famous for eaten foxes glasser mints and of course that old push bike of his or maybe it was his wifes bike it was an old nelly the house posted looks awfully familur to me i lived in brigids park and we refered to it as aggie mangles field sorry to dissapoint but thats what i can recall

and if you can recall the front door had a semi circle glass window over it so unless it had a new door fitted and was replastered well then its a possibility by the way it window frame and doors were always painted a dark blue inside the house it had just inside the front door turn left was a small hall was very dark because the front windows were so far apart and not very big but door on left when opened displayed a living room full of light i can remember the furniture was mostly of solid varnished wood and a huge oval mirror on a display cabinet

if you drew a line from the centerof the pic to 110 clock you will c a big mansion on the far side of the canal and railway it was on by a wealthy jewish family i dont know ther name in the 1950 come i do know the owners in the 1980 was a family called stone he was also the owner of pegasus foods the dealt with horse feed dont know if they survived the recession hope they did come on that line just to this side of the canal and carry on 3 inches on a tape measure and head to castleknock picis notvery clear you would arrive at two railway cottages the first of which i was my family home and then next stop was flynns lock as i was very young i cant tell you much about the area but my father filled me in from time to time

im 95% sure it was windmere afamily called henrys or mac henrys lived there in the 70 and 80 at least one of the occupiers went by that name

the house to its left was occupied by the manager or director of the race course nice man had a pint with him across the road

hendrons your right were nt they in the fuel business or similar

no the donnelly s in question that became the bicycle shop was the one opposite the margarine factory main gate a cyclist that road for ireland in the olympics and on the tour de france named philip cassidy ran that shop his father pat lined in clonee

yes that house was the shaclkelton family yes ernest shackelton antartic explorer all the locals would refare to it as shackeltons

when the pub closed down that particular donnellys open another pub just 50meters back towards blanch village and they called it hte twin oaks it was run by the son

carrs lived behind the pub in mulhuddart yes that was the bertie donnellies it was called the shanty nowhere near blanch that is the two cottages you are talking about corcorans was in the village i vaguely remember been told

Hi amazingannieb, thanks for all of your interesting responses. It's great to get some background to go with the photos.
    However, some tips since you are new here - there is no need to start a new post for every comment, just type away until you have said all you want, then post it. I've merged all 10 of your posts into one for you this time.
    It would help the readers here a lot if you could use some punctuation - Capital letters, commas, full stops etc. What you have posted is really hard to read and understand. Also steer away from abbreviated text speak (e.g. using c instead of see or u instead of you).
    Keep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭docster

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Blanch Post office.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/post.jpg[/QUOTE]

Where was this post office again?...it looks so familiar but I just cant place it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

docster wrote: »
    Where was this post office again?...it looks so familiar but I just cant place it!

More or less where Abrakebabra is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

Blanch Post office.

Thats certainly a blast from the past. They used to do a roaring trade in alphabet sweets...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sorry dont know how to embed these Twitter pics.

Ladyswell not sure of the date.
    https://twitter.com/PhotosOfDublin/status/396239151650975745/photo/1/large

A 39 Dublin bus leaving Blanch going over the Castleknock canal bridge late 80's?
    https://twitter.com/PhotosOfDublin/status/396237548319547392/photo/1/large

Blanchardstown Main st. 1900's
    https://twitter.com/PhotosOfDublin/status/391335253119614976/photo/1/large

Corduff 1982
    https://twitter.com/PhotosOfDublin/status/395154890814922752/photo/1/large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My parents live in one of the houses just across from the well. That's a good picture.

docster wrote: »
    Blanch Post office.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/post.jpg[/QUOTE]

Where the SVP shop in Deanstown house center on main street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Thebotski

Just wondering if anyone has any photos or even links to photos of the cottages that used to behind the shanty pub in mulhuddart? They were knocked down a few years back to build an apartment block, I'm enquiring about the ones that looked directly onto the canal & back of the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Thebotski wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any photos or even links to photos of the cottages that used to behind the shanty pub in mulhuddart? They were knocked down a few years back to build an apartment block, I'm enquiring about the ones that looked directly onto the canal & back of the pub

Hmm, I'd like to see theses as well, my Dad was born in one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Thebotski

Nolimits wrote: »
    Hmm, I'd like to see theses as well, my Dad was born in one of them.

So was my mam.. There's a twitter page called PhotosOfDublin & the guy that runs it is from Blanchardstown he's gonna see if he can find some & post them up, would be nice to see them back in the old days

Advertisement