Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare lied about me

Options
124»

Comments

Leham wrote: »
    Half the problem is they are so unnapproachable and constantly giving me wrong or misinformed information. They dont want to listen or help, they want to catch people out on lies, they have total contempt for anyone on the system and see to get a genuine trill out of making life that little bit more difficult for people on social welfare. It is a nightmare trying to speak to them. I have tried, as a last resort, I am writing on boards to try and get help else where.

I think that you need take a calm approach. They have a job to do. I think that maybe you’re not hearing what they are saying. Take a friend with you and keep calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Half the problem is they are so unnapproachable and constantly giving me wrong or misinformed information. They dont want to listen or help, they want to catch people out on lies, they have total contempt for anyone on the system and see to get a genuine trill out of making life that little bit more difficult for people on social welfare. It is a nightmare trying to speak to them. I have tried, as a last resort, I am writing on boards to try and get help else where.

The best way i got through to them was through twitter. And now i have written confirmation that i will be paid tomorrow but not backdated as that's an issue with another department.
    So i have to prepare for more running around and stress.

I kept calm for 2 months. I worded and spoke everything in a nice manner.
    I know it can be so easy to get frustrated but you need to stay cool.

I hope everything works for you. And as the poster above said maybe take someone with you or read through everything as it's very easy to miss or forget details when stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Leham

I think that you need take a calm approach. They have a job to do. I think that maybe you’re not hearing what they are saying. Take a friend with you and keep calm.

I am very professional and I am always calm and respectful when speaking to them. I dont see what bringing a friend will do?

Youre not getting it. I am hearing what theyre saying. They already lied to appeals about my case, does that not tell you something?

Besides the money that I dont owe, this got to me more than anything because I was honest with them the whole time yet they turned around lied themselves and innsinuated I was dishonest when they communicated with appeals.
    It's not right that a government body or that the people working in the social welfare can lie about claimants and be protected when they do so.
    I dont think theyre so stupid that they made a mistake by saying I didnt give payslips, every document I handed in was scanned by them, they have access to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ive tried to get someone in social welfare to listen to me but they wont, they are jumping down my neck before I even open my mouth.
    You wont get the answer you're looking for on an internet forum.

I admit I havent read all the posts here but you are getting lots of good advice and tips/pointers but with respect it appears that you still arent happy which I suppose is understandable. If its that bad have you considered going to the Ombudsman with your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - if you can’ t appeal again take it to the ombudsman. He covers all state employees including HSE & SW staff. They should be able to fix it for you -the whole situation sounds totally unfair. I’d also put the case of your colleague and the different treatment in the same office in. Sounds like poor training / incompetence. Not to mention him not wanting you to appeal - shocking stuff but unsurprising “.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I suggest that you quit the whining and whataboutery and apply for your SW file under FoI. Read it carefully and then you'll have an understanding of their perspective of your situation.

Here's the address: foi@welfare.ie

Here's what to do: Be sure to state that you're applying under the FOI Act.
    Ask for copies of all records relating to your claim for JA/JB between <start date> and now. Also ask for all of the records relating to your appeal or review or both. Tell them you require the records in paper form.

Be sure to include your PPSN, your mobile number and your postal address.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭square ball

Yes I know im not an entitled to full social welfare when I work. I am well aware of this. I told them I can provide proof that I only worked maybe 1 to a handful of hours those weeks, they know this is it was indicated on the form I filled out when I tried to switch by JA to casual workers.

The main issue is, they are accusing of me having claimed for 5 weeks in a row. I didnt take out money every one of those weeks that theyre saying I did.

They also told appeals - according to the letter they sent me - that it was "noted" that there were "unnsuccessful attempts to contact me" regarding me working and claiming and that "I didnt give them payslips"

There were no unnsuccessful attempts to contact me so why would they say that to appeals? I was in and out of social welfare constantly in Septmeber and October trying to find out what help, if any, was available while I worked casually and temporarily.

I was speaking to the deciding officer several times in the intreo and on the phone during October/November when he was looking over my claim for casual workers.

They have my payslips and a form signed and stamped by the school indicating my wages.

They also have full access to my revenue.

Why would they lie and say I didnt give them payslips? It makes no sense and makes me sound like I was deliberatly lying. Why would they do that?

But if you were claiming as a person that was fully unemployed then started work the procedure is normally to suspend your payment issue you out the casual Jobseeker's paperwork and then pay you arrears if you are entitled to them once your means has been assessed.

You would not normally be left on a fully unemployed JA claim if you had told them you had regular casual employment at the start of your employment. They would have stopped your payment if they were aware you had regular employment over the period you were working.

Did your payment stop when you told them you were working or when the Commencement of Employment form wasn't returned?

Your payslips don't tell tell her many days you worked each week. The access to revenue is limited enough also.

They will also be able to see the weeks your payments were cashed and they will show up now if they weren't cashed so would have reviewed this before going to appeal.

The social welfare week for Jobseeker's Allowance runs from Wednesday to Tuesday not Monday to Friday so may be why there is still 5 weeks overpayment if you didn't pick up a payment in the middle of this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yes I know im not an entitled to full social welfare when I work. I am well aware of this. I told them I can provide proof that I only worked maybe 1 to a handful of hours those weeks, they know this is it was indicated on the form I filled out when I tried to switch by JA to casual workers.

The main issue is, they are accusing of me having claimed for 5 weeks in a row. I didnt take out money every one of those weeks that theyre saying I did.

They also told appeals - according to the letter they sent me - that it was "noted" that there were "unnsuccessful attempts to contact me" regarding me working and claiming and that "I didnt give them payslips"

There were no unnsuccessful attempts to contact me so why would they say that to appeals? I was in and out of social welfare constantly in Septmeber and October trying to find out what help, if any, was available while I worked casually and temporarily.

I was speaking to the deciding officer several times in the intreo and on the phone during October/November when he was looking over my claim for casual workers.

They have my payslips and a form signed and stamped by the school indicating my wages.

They also have full access to my revenue.

Why would they lie and say I didnt give them payslips? It makes no sense and makes me sound like I was deliberatly lying. Why would they do that?

Yes but even if you only worked 1 hour in the week then you weren’t entitled to the full €203. And you collected the full €203 anyway so there’s your problem.
    You’re not getting that at all and you won’t get any more SW until you’ve sorted it out. You’ve been advised here what to do but your not interested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry just to add to the above you keep saying you didn't claim for weeks you were working more hours meaning you didn't collect it. You did claim as you didn't sign off. Claiming and collecting are two different things. You don't get to decide what weeks you have enough money from work and what weeks you don't. It is for sw to decide, not you. The fact of it is that you claimed money from sw fraudulently. It is irrelevant whether you collected that money of not. As someone else has said it takes time to bounce back to sw when you don't collect a payment. They don't know yet that you didnt collect some weeks. As has been advised contact them in writing with the exact dates of money you collected and didnt collect and your payslips and a letter from your employer outlining what hours you worked each day for the five week period and it will be sorted out. Your posts here are quite muddled and hard to follow so ask someone to proofread what you are sending them before you send it. Provide concise, clear explanations and send it by registered post.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Hi can anyone please help me as I dont know what to do.

A bit of back story, im a sub tutor on the unqualified rate of pay, last year 2018 - 2019 I worked in the same school all year and from January my hours were cut to part time so social welfare put me on casual dockets, I remained on these until the Summer when I went on to full social welfare payment.

At the end of September 2019 I got a subbing job in a new school, initially it was supposed to be for one week, I told social welfare and my payment was suspended. I collected for that week and informed social welfare that I had collected my payment, it remained suspended for two weeks. I then told social welfare the employment had ended and provided a letter from the school.
    After this the school contacted me intermittently over the next 4 weeks. During this I worked 1 - 10 hours a week. I always told social welfare I was working, the weeks I worked 1 or so hours, I collected my social welfare (informed them I was doing so) as I was not getting paid much, I could literally be getting a couple of euro for a week. I didnt collect money on the weeks I was working more hours, I made a point of not doing so but obviously I have no way of proving this. I wasnt working on the mid term break and collected for this week, like all non permanent school staff do.

During this time, social welfare never tried to change my payment to casual dockets, they never tried to dock the days or hours I worked from my pay and never suggested I go onto education workers. I didnt know what payments I should be on and my local social welfare were not very unhelpful

During the mid term break I went back to social welfare to try and get onto the casual dockets as I had been on the previous acedemic year. I was given forms, filled them out, had my hours and wages filled out and signed by the school and brought everything I was asked to bring to social welfare.
    A few weeks past and I got a letter stating my payment dating back to May (When I finished in the previous school) has been disqualified and that I owe social welfare 1015 euro.

They said my average income was 230 a week during September/October. When I questioned this, they took the amount I had earned over that entire time and broke it down, spreading it across each week, so even though in one week I might have earned less than 50 euro, in another week I might have earned 300 (and wouldnt have collected payment for this week), they averaged all my pay it over the entire month and said I earned 230 a week.

Any money I owe to social welfare I am more than willing to pay back would not expect to claim if I was working/earning anything close to the social welfare payment but theyre saying I took out money every week which I know I didnt I just have no way of proving, I only took out money when I was really stuck and working very few or no hours and I always informed social welfare.

When I questioned this I was put in contact with the deciding officer, he contacted me and when through my pay in revenue, he was focusing on pay that I got when I wasnt claiming, I got 3 weeks full time teaching in an ETB school in November where I was earning the qualified rate, they pay monthly so I got the pay in one lumpsum, he read it out to me and said it like I was rolling in money and looking for social welfare. - they should have put me on the education workers which I later found out, from staff in my school, that I should be on this payment. Instead they stayed focused on my application for casual dockets which I only applied for at the time because I didnt think I was going to get many more hours and the work was so intermittent, I didnt want to stop taking the work but I wouldnt have been able to live off it. If I had known I was going to get further hours and even full time hours, I wouldnt have applied for casual dockets but thats how it is being a casual teacher, you are literally waiting by the phone day to day.

I went to social welfare who told me to keep having the dockets filled out by the school and to continue handing them in so this is what I did, while in with the secretary in the school, she told me to apply for the education workers as thats what she gets.

I asked about it in social welfare and was told no I am not entitled to that as my income is too high. I said I had been on it the previous year and was told the system has changed now and im no longer entitled to it at all.

I was adivsed to have my application sent for an appeal, which I requested, I was called in for an appointment with the deciding officer as I had to sign a letter which I had sent in regarding the issue, while there the deciding officer didnt want me to try and appeal, so he tried to push me into writing 'I do not want this sent for appeal' on the letter under my signature.. I said no to him and he left it at that, the appeal was sent off.

Around Jan/Feb while in the staff room in work I got speaking to another sub teacher who is contracted, on a higher pay scale than me and was working more hours, she said she was getting the education workers, she also goes to the same intreo office as me.. I said I was told I wasnt entitled to this and she said no, I am entitled. So I went back in to social welfare that afternoon and told them I should be on education workers, the woman at the desk belligerently handed me forms to get filled out by the school. I got the filled out, brought them back to social welfare, the person behind the desk - different from the previous woman, told me they wearnt the right forms and gave me the right ones, so I had to get those ones signed and handed in which I did. - I recieved no payment for mid terms as my previous claim was still suspended so I was told I couldnt get any payments until that suspension is lifted.

Yesterday I finally got my appeal back stating that it has been denied my social welfare has been stopped and I owe them 1015... the part of this that is really getting to me, apart from the fact I didnt claim for every one of those weeks I worked in Spetmeber/October, and the besides the fact social welfare repeatedly gave me wrong information and messed me around all year, on the letter I got back it says no Payslips were provided by the appellent - I did give payslips, I remember having them photocopied. It also says "It is noted that unsuccessful attempts were made by the intreo office to contact the appellant regarding her case'

I was in constant communication with the social welfare, at no point did they unnsuccessfully try to contact me or advise me in anyway. If anything, I was trying to get correct information off them for months.

This has annoyed me as I was completely honest with them and I feel this comment implies that I wasnt, it sounds like they are attempting to throw me under the bus to cover their own backs. This is either a mistake on their part or a blatant lie on their part and I have every intention of taking it further. What is the point in anyone being honest with social welfare if they will turn around and say you were dishonest when you wearnt.

I rang the appeals office but they said I need to send a letter to another department. I rang my local social welfare but the woman who answered told me theyre only dealing with Covid payments and I will have to email. I asked her if I can still get the education workers payment, she told me she doesnt know and doesnt want to give me the wrong information.

I just dont know what to do or where to turn? I do owe social welfare which I have no problem paying but I dont owe as much as theyre saying I do. I also have been messed around by them all year, I shouldnt have to find out off other staff what payment I should be on, thats the jobs of the staff in social welfare. I am fuming that they lied and said they made unsuccessful attempts to contact me.

Can anyone help? I dont know what to do?.

One of the most gripping books I've ever read

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the replies.

Today I got a phone call from social protection accusing me of collecting another 2 payments in April, she said its showing up that I collected payments and gave exact dates and exact amounts of how much I supposedly collected. I didnt collect payments in April, thankfully this time I actually have proof that I didnt.

S/W opened a claim for me in March, I tried to close it numerous times but they didnt close it so it remained open unbeknownst to me, after several conversations with S/W staff accusing me of knowingly having a claim open while working and still not closing my claim, I was eventually told to close it myself through my welfare account. I didnt collect any of these payments during these months.

As for the Summer S/W I applied for, she said she's going to look into it as I shouldnt be getting full social welfare because im 'getting holiday pay'. Im not getting holiday pay, I was a casual sub on an unqualified pay. I think I got about 3 or 4 hundred extra on my last pay slip to cover 'holiday pay'

Can anyone explain to me what is going on???

Please no smart comments, I am so stressed over all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Today I got a phone call from social protection accusing me of collecting another 2 payments in April, she said its showing up that I collected payments and gave exact dates and exact amounts of how much I supposedly collected. I didnt collect payments in April, thankfully this time I actually have proof that I didnt.
    How can you prove that you didn't collect it?
    You could prove you collected it easily, or they could proved it was paid. But the opposite is a lot harder.
    As for the Summer S/W I applied for, she said she's going to look into it as I shouldnt be getting full social welfare because im 'getting holiday pay'. Im not getting holiday pay, I was a casual sub on an unqualified pay. I think I got about 3 or 4 hundred extra on my last pay slip to cover 'holiday pay'

This is confusing
    You said you don't get holiday pay as a casual. Then in the next sentence you said you got 400 as holiday pay? Which is it.
    I'm not surprised SW is confused, your statements are hard to follow.

Mellor wrote: »
    How can you prove that you didn't collect it?
    You could prove you collected it easily, or they could proved it was paid. But the opposite is a lot harder.

This is confusing
    You said you don't get holiday pay as a casual. Then in the next sentence you said you got 400 as holiday pay? Which is it.
    I'm not surprised SW is confused, your statements are hard to follow.

Apologies, I got roughly 400 in lump sum for holiday pay but wont get continuous pay throughout the Summer.

I can prove it because when I collected my first S/W payment for Summer, there was backdated pay going back to March with all dates the pays were issued but not collected. She gave me the full amount and I payed back all payments to the intreo the next day. I have a receipt from the post office with all the dates and a receipt from social welfare to say that the full amount was paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I then told social welfare the employment had ended and provided a letter from the school.
    After this the school contacted me intermittently over the next 4 weeks. During this I worked 1 - 10 hours a week. I always told social welfare I was working, the weeks I worked 1 or so hours, I collected my social welfare (informed them I was doing so) as I was not getting paid much, I could literally be getting a couple of euro for a week. I didnt collect money on the weeks I was working more hours, I made a point of not doing so but obviously I have no way of proving this. I wasnt working on the mid term break and collected for this week, like all non permanent school staff do.

Something doesn't add up here
    You were collecting welfare on weeks even when you were working (fraud) and on weeks you were working more than what you thought you should be for welfare you didn't collect the money - as far as I know if you don't collect the money one week then you need to go to the welfare to get it reinstated with reasons as to why you didn't collect it
    And welfare knows too well if money was collected or not - so I don't know why you are even talking as if it's a mystery as to what you claimed

fritzelly wrote: »
    Something doesn't add up here
    You were collecting welfare on weeks even when you were working (fraud) and on weeks you were working more than what you thought you should be for welfare you didn't collect the money - as far as I know if you don't collect the money one week then you need to go to the welfare to get it reinstated with reasons as to why you didn't collect it

Tbh, I dont know the system, it's the job of the staff in intreo office to tell me or close the claim. They consistently gave me wrong information, someone in the intreo office even told me that education workers isnt available anymore. I was earning little to no money some weeks within those 5 weeks and didnt know what my entitlements were, if any, it is their job to inform me and give me the right information.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tbh, I dont know the system, it's the job of the staff in intreo office to tell me or close the claim. They consistently gave me wrong information, someone in the intreo office even told me that education workers isnt available anymore. I was earning little to no money some weeks within those 5 weeks and didnt know what my entitlements were, if any, it is their job to inform me and give me the right information.

Every time I've dealt with welfare they have been anything but hard to deal with and actually helpful as to what you can claim
    You are having some really bad look when the local welfare officer, manager and adjudicator are going against you :confused:
    But that could be partly due to the fraudulent claims and they take a very dim view of that.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Every time I've dealt with welfare they have been anything but hard to deal with and actually helpful as to what you can claim
    You are having some really bad look when the local welfare officer, manager and adjudicator are going against you :confused:
    But that could be partly due to the fraudulent claims and they take a very dim view of that.

Im delighted you have had such pleasant experiences with your local intreo office.

I shouldnt have claimed when I was working but as mentioned, I informed my social welfare office that I was working those weeks. They didnt provide me with any relevant information.

It is now showing up that I collected a further 2 payments in April which I didnt claim for on the dates they are saying I did. Clearly there is some issue on their end.

It is now showing up that I collected a further 2 payments in April which I didnt claim for on the dates they are saying I did. Clearly there is some issue on their end.

Would those two weeks be included with the back dated pay to March that they paid you in full?

Mellor wrote: »
    Would those two weeks be included with the back dated pay to March that they paid you in full?

Yes, the dates are on the post office receipt.

Yes, the dates are on the post office receipt.

So you did actually collect them then, in the form of backed dated payment. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

You need to set things out clearly in writing. In order to do so you need to set out what monies you received and the dates and what days you worked (and payment for these days/hours). As you don’t appear to have complete records I would suggest, as has been said above;-
    1. You do a Subject access request to Dept of social protection under GDPR and get a copy of your entire file.
    2. Get a copy of all days/hours worked from the school and the corresponding payments.
    3. Do up a written chronological history of your interactions with Intreo.
    When you say you appealed, did you appeal to the social welfare appeals office in D’Olier Street? If you didn’t It would appear that you are out of time but they might make an exception. It is only after this appeal that you go to ombudsman. You can request an oral hearing at the social welfare appeals.
    As it stands you admit you were paid on weeks when you worked and owe some money back. You yourself are totally unclear on how much this is.
    Under the casual dockets / X’s and O’s, which is a jobseekers claim, you do not get paid if you work more than three days in a particular week (week running from Wednesday to Tuesday inclusive).
    Finally you need to get set up on mywelfare.ie (contact them if you are having difficulties with signing up) and also you need to start keeping a diary of these matters and communicating in writing.
    You appear to be unable to clearly set out what happened and are focused on the alleged lying (eg they said they tried to contact you). At the end of the day they have calculated that you owe money back (something you don’t deny). It is not clear from the posts who is right but they appear to have a justification for their figure which you do not accept nor understand the methodology they used to arrive at the figure.
    It is also not clear if you are on jobseekers benefit or allowance and your poor interactions at the intreo office also seem to stem from requests to be on a teachers scheme etc.
    I understand your frustration but you need to take steps to clearly set out the issue to get to the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I hope you are being clearer in the discussions with Welfare than what you have been saying in this thread.

I'm none the wiser as to what you are saying happened here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement