Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and marts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will boats still be going with calves?

Just to answer this,Wicklow cattle Co went on with a load tonight anyway,so boats must be still going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Just to answer this,Wicklow cattle Co went on with a load tonight anyway,so boats must be still going

They always ship Tuesday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Can see the individual Marts setting up a system linking buyers to sellers,they won’t want to be missing out on income over the foreseeable future.

Big advantage of that type of system over likes of Donedeal would be at least you would have a comeback through the mart if a buyer had a cheque that bounced or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

I always sell through the mart mainly because you get your money a week later which means a lot,but they really have to up their game.
    The craic of queuing from 6am and being stuck there till 3 or 4 in the afternoon with a few weanlings is a joke when you could be making a few bob at work.
    Book them in online,drop them in the yard get seller on the phone when they enter the ring and sell away.
    The local mart had a few buyers that bought weanlings on a price per kilo basis which worked great,bring in your animals at a certain time and weigh them,out the door in 10 min,buyer and seller happy and mart paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

milligan2 wrote: »
    I always sell through the mart mainly because you get your money a week later which means a lot,but they really have to up their game.
    The craic of queuing from 6am and being stuck there till 3 or 4 in the afternoon with a few weanlings is a joke when you could be making a few bob at work.
    Book them in online,drop them in the yard get seller on the phone when they enter the ring and sell away.
    The local mart had a few buyers that bought weanlings on a price per kilo basis which worked great,bring in your animals at a certain time and weigh them,out the door in 10 min,buyer and seller happy and mart paid.

Queueing from 6am? Has your mart not switched to booking in over the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

20silkcut wrote: »

Booking over the phone can be a joke too, especially for big sales

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭milligan2

No phone booking at our local mart,on big sale days there would be lads at the gate at 4.30am,gates open at 8.
    In France the sell a lot of weanlings by price per kilo,one price for U grade,another for R grade,sounds a good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

milligan2 wrote: »
    No phone booking at our local mart,on big sale days there would be lads at the gate at 4.30am,gates open at 8.
    In France the sell a lot of weanlings by price per kilo,one price for U grade,another for R grade,sounds a good system.

That's ridiculous. Ennis mart changed it's intake system and it works very well. Before the virus, you drop off the cattle and the drovers take them to the chute. That means that the trailers are driven off straight away and nobody is holding things up. It was fellas leaving their trailers parked for ages, that was causing all the delays.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

An on line transfer of money is hard to reverse so that should help with money security from a sellers point of view.next problem is transport which i suggest will be part of negotiations. I could see cattle dealing becoming a sunday pastimeðŸ˜.by the way.plenty Hereford bull and hiefer calves here and loads more inthe area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

That's ridiculous. Ennis mart changed it's intake system and it works very well. Before the virus, you drop off the cattle and the drovers take them to the chute. That means that the trailers are driven off straight away and nobody is holding things up. It was fellas leaving their trailers parked for ages, that was causing all the delays.

I think that system was introduced at most marts as a safety measure after the lad was killed with the bull at the mart a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Dung deal will explode

How about farm to farm sales through the marts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Due to Covid19 restrictions Carnew mart can not operate calf dairy cattle or sheep sales as normal. However we are currently liaising with the dept of Ag and the HSE to see how we can move forward. If you have livestock to sell please give us a call or text with what you have on offer and we will do our best to match stock with customers. For details please contact

From carnew mart

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Due to Covid19 restrictions Carnew mart can not operate calf dairy cattle or sheep sales as normal. However we are currently liaising with the dept of Ag and the HSE to see how we can move forward. If you have livestock to sell please give us a call or text with what you have on offer and we will do our best to match stock with customers. For details please contact

From carnew mart

To keep calf sales going, if someone with good camera skills from the mart could visit the farms & have online sales

Maybe similar with bigger stock, just add a weighting scales

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

brandy21 wrote: »
    What about HAYSTACK.IE a free site to sell agricultural produce,

Haven't looked at it but this site sounds like classifieds, which is distinctly different from auction.

The Marts need to set up eBay like sites. They could be run like a regular sale, with particular nights only running sales with animals 30km from a particular town, with clear rules in how animals were delivered - I'd suggest buyer collects.

Each participant would have to put down a say €500 bond. Sellers would provide pictures/videos and information about the animal. The bond could be called on if a sale was made and the animal didn't meet the description or a sale wasn't completed because either party backed out - with the Mart being the arbitrator. The seller doesn't need to provide information, like weight, the only obligation is that any information provided must be accurate.

A system like that would require large investment and a degree of trust. It does work for eBay, but would it work for Irish Marts, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Haven't looked at it but this site sounds like classifieds, which is distinctly different from auction.

The Marts need to set up eBay like sites. They could be run like a regular sale, with particular nights only running sales with animals 30km from a particular town, with clear rules in how animals were delivered - I'd suggest buyer collects.

Each participant would have to put down a say €500 bond. Sellers would provide pictures/videos and information about the animal. The bond could be called on if a sale was made and the animal didn't meet the description or a sale wasn't completed because either party backed out - with the Mart being the arbitrator. The seller doesn't need to provide information, like weight, the only obligation is that any information provided must be accurate.

A system like that would require large investment and a degree of trust. It does work for eBay, but would it work for Irish Marts, I don't know.

How could you make an assessment on an animal without a weight gauge. You might consider it if marts weighted and graded the animals but I be slow to trust marts either as they can favour certain sellers and buyers. I definitely would not give a bond of 500 euro to buy animals unseen or even from video/photos and depend on a mart to be a neutral entity.

I am not looking for cattle at present but I be going through DD rather than a system like that. There was a system before by GVM called GVM direct and I consider that where you went to see them and mart arranged weighting, you agreed with a flat price or price/kg and both parties shared transport costs.

Biggest problem at present is alot of 2year old cattle being sold will have only one movement left and dealer's will not be able to buy and sell these again.

It a case of direct farm to farm sales with any agent only putting people in contact.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

How could you make an assessment on an animal without a weight gauge. You might consider it if marts weighted and graded the animals but I be slow to trust marts either as they can favour certain sellers and buyers. I definitely would not give a bond of 500 euro to buy animals unseen or even from video/photos and depend on a mart to be a neutral entity.

I am not looking for cattle at present but I be going through DD rather than a system like that. There was a system before by GVM called GVM direct and I consider that where you went to see them and mart arranged weighting, you agreed with a flat price or price/kg and both parties shared transport costs.

Biggest problem at present is alot of 2year old cattle being sold will have only one movement left and dealer's will not be able to buy and sell these again.

It a case of direct farm to farm sales with any agent only putting people in contact.

In some countries there is no weighing scales in the markets.i think its called buying by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

K.G. wrote: »
    In some countries there is no weighing scales in the markets.i think its called buying by hand

And I have no issue with that as long as you get the chance to judge/view the animals. But buying from a farm where you cannot view the animals and get no weight gauge is not a runner

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Can farmers apply for covid emergency payments since marts are closed?i for one have ceased trading for now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Can farmers apply for covid emergency payments since marts are closed?i for one have ceased trading for now

Yes if they get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭visatorro

20silkcut wrote:

Dealers run the local place. If they bring in cattle you go down the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Will tonight's announcement apply to farm to farm movement's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Just thinking would it be a good idea if the department let herds that have negative BVD status delay taking the sample from their calves until later on in the year when the current crisis is over.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Will tonight's announcement apply to farm to farm movement's?
    Farm to farm movement is necessary for continued food production, however it could be stopped for a short period. We'll find out in the morning exactly what is included...

They're still making it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭20silkcut

visatorro wrote: »
    Dealers run the local place. If they bring in cattle you go down the list

If that’s the case then it’s no harm they are shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Are we any clearer after today's published list of essential services regarding trading cattle from farmer to farmer?

i didn't see such mentioned,but would think it's off for the time being.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Are we any clearer after today's published list of essential services regarding trading cattle from farmer to farmer?

i didn't see such mentioned,but would think it's off for the time being.

There doesn't seem to be any change to farm 2 farm sales

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiQmh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9uZXdzLzIwMjAvMDMzMS8xMTI3NDM4LWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLWFncmljdWx0dXJlL9IBH2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnJ0ZS5pZS9hbXAvMTEyNzQzOC8?hl=en-IE&gl=IE&ceid=IE%3Aen

Will this work do you think?

"Marts will match buyers and sellers, weigh animals and oversee the sale, however there will be no public auctions and no crowds attending.

Each mart will have to submit its operating protocol, which will then be approved by the Department."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Tullow mart looking for 47kg plus, fat hoggets tomorrow morning, ring them for price.

42 day TB test for calves going out to 120 days is a nice reprieve..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    42 day TB test for calves going out to 120 days is a nice reprieve..

Where did you see that?
    Edit fcuk ya!

Advertisement