Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

OurDS. Robbie Diack, Leinster legend.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Of course there is an advantage for Leinster playing games in the Aviva (even if it is empty)

But if that is deemed the most practical and safest way of proceeding then personally it wont bother me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Of course there is an advantage for Leinster playing games in the Aviva (even if it is empty)

But if that is deemed the most practical and safest way of proceeding then personally it wont bother me.

What's the advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What's the advantage?

Its one of their home stadiums

• Registered Users Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What's the advantage?
    All the virtual home supporters in the stadium. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If Ulster produced more internationals it might feel like a home game for them too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What's the advantage?

The guys are going to be far more comforable playing in a familiar environment and they won't have had to sit on a bus for 2-3 hours to get to their match. It's obviously a diminished advantage but it's still there.

Jonathan Sexton has taken thousands of kicks at the posts in the Aviva over the past 10 years. Players are much more aware of the space available, conditions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I agree that there is a small home advantage even in an often unused empty stadium.

But these interpros are going to be a joke anyway. You've seen the season they have planned for next year, there is no chance Sexton's Aviva experience is going to be utilised in a regular-season interpro against Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

haha this is gas! The benefits to playing “at home” are surely going to be massively outweighed by the absolutely bizarre new experience of playing a full match in a massive empty stadium. People must be really bored

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    I agree that there is a small home advantage even in an often unused empty stadium.

But these interpros are going to be a joke anyway. You've seen the season they have planned for next year, there is no chance Sexton's Aviva experience is going to be utilised in a regular-season interpro against Ulster.

Nothing new there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

troyzer wrote: »
    What even is a home game without a crowd?

I've played most of my life in front of one man and his dog, and playing at my home ground with nobody watching was a lot easier than travelling to an away ground to play with nobody watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »
    I've played most of my life in front of one man and his dog, and playing at my home ground with nobody watching was a lot easier than travelling to an away ground to play with nobody watching.

Because you were playing at your club, which you are familiar with. I assume you train there and everything. Leinster players train elsewhere and play the majority of their games elsewhere. Non-internationals rarely ever play in the Aviva. A 3rd choice Leinster player would play in the Aviva far FAR less often than an Ulster or Munster international.

I completely get there being home advantage when there’s a big crowd. The only difference now really is the extra travel time. It’s absolutely minimal.

Because you were playing at your club, which you are familiar with. I assume you train there and everything. Leinster players train elsewhere and play the majority of their games elsewhere. Non-internationals rarely ever play in the Aviva. A 3rd choice Leinster player would play in the Aviva far FAR less often than an Ulster or Munster international.

I completely get there being home advantage when there’s a big crowd. The only difference now really is the extra travel time. It’s absolutely minimal.

Oh I don't have a problem with the games being played at the Aviva. I was thinking in terms of games being played at the RDS which I think would have given Leinster a bit more of an advantage due to familiarity.

It will be interesting to see what sort of teams we see selected in these games. In theory there could be a lot of rugby played in the second half of 2020, but on the other hand the Inter Pros might be all there is! Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I wonder if they’d consider playing it in the RDS? Would be a better ‘atmosphere’ and more of a home match than playing in the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

clsmooth wrote: »
    I wonder if they’d consider playing it in the RDS? Would be a better ‘atmosphere’ and more of a home match than playing in the Aviva
    but that's not point. Atmosphere wont be better and it's not there to be more of a home game for leinster.
    Aviva can be completely closed off far more than rds can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IRFU have control over the Aviva. They have none over the RDS and the Aviva has already been prepped for BCD games

Maybe they should give Leinster a 3 point headstart as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Maybe they should give Leinster a 3 point headstart as well :-)

Keep talking...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Anywhere other than the Aviva makes little sense but surely the RDS makes the least sense of all? If they were going to use club facilities surely it would make more sense to go to one of the provincial grounds away from the Irish epicentre of the virus? Dublin makes up nearly 50% of Irish cases. As it is it'll be the Aviva or bust anyway due to control

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see talk on off the ball of a 16 team tournament next summer played in Britain and Ireland to alleviate the financial burden on all the unions. Interesting idea that might make financial sense. Although very hard to see something like that happening.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    I see talk on off the ball of a 16 team tournament next summer played in Britain and Ireland to alleviate the financial burden on all the unions. Interesting idea that might make financial sense. Although very hard to see something like that happening.

Haven't heard this particular idea, but I'd say everything is up for grabs.

Listening to OTB and their most recent chat with BOD he seems to think that South Africa's migration north is a definite possibility now. In the past it was floated as an idea but was always something that was long term. It could well happen much sooner now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

errlloyd wrote: »

I'm not sure....since the German football league has restarted, there has been a massive decrease in "home wins" down from 50+% to about 13%
    That's a staggering fall away and might be the same in rugby too, time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

10 optional law trial approved by world rugby

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1265929007008296960?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The amount of people replying to that who simply dont understand how much the game is suffering & will continue to suffer without any income is scary. It's not like Unions have kept that quiet or anything. "You're just turning it into rugby league. Either it's safe to play or it isn't. Just wait until it is".

Why do so many people struggle to stop & think before they speak/type?

The scrum looks to be the big rugby loser from Coronavirus.

If scrum resets are done away with what are they being replaced with? A free kick?

If scrum resets are done away with what are they being replaced with? A free kick?

Yep, free kick to attacking team.

Orange card looks interesting. High shot and the player goes straight off, tmo reviews and then decide either it was a red(stays off) or yellow/penalty - back on after 15 minutes.

Removing the choke tackle

GettyImages-1182200712-3.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yep, free kick to attacking team.

And then you take the scrum again?

Whilst I get the need to do something to get the game back , this essentially removes the scrum from the game.

Weaker Scrum - Fluff the engagement and just give up a free kick instead of a penalty later for collapsing or whatever.

Will the refs escalate on the offender - e.g. Straight to penalty if it's repetitive?

I'm absolutely ok with some short term solutions to get us back playing , but my fear is that the "Marketing" types will push to keep the change because they think it's a better "Product"!! . The Australians will be ALL over this to remain permanently.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And then you take the scrum again?

One of the other proposed changes is no scrum option for penalty or free kick

I think a lot of these changes are intended to be temporary just to get rugby back going. I understand they may not be to everyone's taste but the game needs money coming in or it will be in a very bad position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Bazzo wrote: »
    10 optional law trial approved by world rugby

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1265929007008296960?s=19

Does the Orange card mean the player has to march around the traditional perimeter while playing a flute for 15 minutes?.....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement