Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

salmocab wrote: »
    There’s 4 dressing rooms in the Aviva. But I’m pretty sure it’s 2 days.

Cheers that's doable then. It would be odd for a big ground to have only two dressing rooms obviously, Croke Park has 4 dressing rooms also to cover double headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cheers that's doable then. It would be odd for a big ground to have only two dressing rooms obviously, Croke Park has 4 dressing rooms also to cover double headers.

You'd also have the Lansdowne club house if extra facilities were needed I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m pretty sure Croker has 6, 4 in the hogan and 2 in the Cusack. Not positive on that but they do triple headers regularly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fair enough. The RDS is more than adequate though
    its not though. Makes far more sense to play it Aviva. It's an irfu double header. Aviva completely closed off venue in comparison to rds
    There’s 4 dressing rooms in the Aviva. But I’m pretty sure it’s 2 days.
    theres more I'm fairly sure.
    You'd also have the Lansdowne club house if extra facilities were needed I'm guessing.
    yeah teams in second game could arrive and warm up there but would doubt they would ne needed
    I’m pretty sure Croker has 6, 4 in the hogan and 2 in the Cusack. Not positive on that but they do triple headers regularly enough.
    and Aviva does double headers with club finals in soccer. Would be changing rooms for minis half time teams etc as well.

Can you skip a line when you reply to quotes TLS? Maybe it's just me but I find your replies difficult to read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ach, they can get changed in the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This has major implications for the Pro14, European cup and 6n if that is the stance that the UK govt carries into Autumn.

https://twitter.com/BhuyuChhyan/status/1264090858078515201?s=19

Philip Browne mentioned the IRFU would have to start borrowing money by the end of Summer in his briefing to media on Friday.

Do the SA teams usually fly into London ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    This has major implications for the Pro14, European cup and 6n if that is the stance that the UK govt carries into Autumn.

https://twitter.com/BhuyuChhyan/status/1264090858078515201?s=19

Philip Browne mentioned the IRFU would have to start borrowing money by the end of Summer in his briefing to media on Friday.

Do the SA teams usually fly into London ?

It's the same measures that've been introduced here. But it doesn't apply to any layovers etc, it's only where the UK is the final destination. And the UK government have already said this won't apply to Irish people travelling to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

It's the same measures that've been introduced here. But it doesn't apply to any layovers etc, it's only where the UK is the final destination. And the UK government have already said this won't apply to Irish people travelling to the UK.

It still has implications for the SA, French, Italian sides.

It also has implications for the Welsh, Scottish and English sides who leave and come back into the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Fair enough. The RDS is more than adequate though

I'm really not following what your issue is. Why have it in the RDS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It also has implications for the Welsh, Scottish and English sides who leave and come back into the UK

As far as I'm aware it doesn't apply to the common travel area so anyone travelling within it won't have to quarantine for 14 days.

The hope would be that by the Autumn the 14 day quarantine will be a bit more selective anyway rather than a broad brush over every country other than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Leinster not going ahead with season tickets for next season. Makes sense under the circumstances.

Refunding Saracens, Munster Rugby, Zebre or Cardiff Blues single game tickets and credit for 3 home games as part of season ticket.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-rugby-cancels-season-tickets/

I'm really not following what your issue is. Why have it in the RDS?

Smaller, cheaper... why not have every Leinster match in the Aviva if crowd size is not the reason?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Smaller, cheaper... why not have every Leinster match in the Aviva if crowd size is not the reason?

Cause they have to pay for the RDS anyway and cause they have to pay to rent the Aviva. They need ~30k crowd to make the Aviva break even as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

irfu running all 4 provinces hames in the Aviva. Makes far more sense than playing games in one sides home ground.
    This isnt a leinster home game. It's an irfu run game. Why open 2 stadiums or have other provinces be playing in rds in non leinster games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Cause they have to pay for the RDS anyway and cause they have to pay to rent the Aviva. They need ~30k crowd to make the Aviva break even as I recall.

Given they won’t have to pay stewards, bar staff, ticket checkers, policing, etc then the cost of running from one v the other isn’t actually going to be a whole lot different

Most of the additional cost of a game in a big stadium is the cost of dealing with the general public with bigger areas to manage

irfu running all 4 provinces hames in the Aviva. Makes far more sense than playing games in one sides home ground.
    This isnt a leinster home game. It's an irfu run game. Why open 2 stadiums or have other provinces be playing in rds in non leinster games?

The notion of a home game behind closed doors is moot.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Of course it’s a Leinster home game.

There was a similar rumour about the crowd size in Croke park a few years ago about break even and the GAA said it wasn’t true. The less people in the less staff and areas open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

awec wrote: »

What even is a home game without a crowd?

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    What even is a home game without a crowd?

A Southern Kings home game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,220 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its not, but you know that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

A Southern Kings home game.

tlR2KrC.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There was a similar rumour about the crowd size in Croke park a few years ago about break even and the GAA said it wasn’t true. The less people in the less staff and areas open.

The number may be lower, but there is a number there. They have to pay to rent the stadium

The number may be lower, but there is a number there. They have to pay to rent the stadium

The cost of hiring the actual stadium would be quite low for both the irfu and fai I’d think and currently neither organisation is in a position to be turning the screw on each other on a stadium they both own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You really think the normal rules are going to apply here?

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its not, but you know that already.

Of course it is, Leinster regularly play home games in the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Of course it is, Leinster regularly play home games in the Aviva.

In front of tens of thousands of Leinster fans, none of whom will be there for these games.

What other advantages do they have that Ulster wouldnt have in this specific scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Why does this even matter? Any games played in August are effectively warm-up games so the Pro14 semis and final can take place to finish off the league. Leinster are 20 points ahead in their pool and will top it regardless of what happens in these games and would have topped it anyway had the season not been interrupted. Leinster were already due to play Munster in the Aviva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ulster have played Home games in the Aviva and the RDS before. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement