Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

May is now talking about unilaterally amending the GFA to placate the DUP.

I'm speechless tbh.

get a grip will ya!
    why do idiots run around & squak like headless chickens (not sure if headless chickens squak, but you get the idea) and get all excited. this was probably just part of a cabinet brainstorming session, the same person probably suggested invading Belgium and taking over EU parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,071 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

get a grip will ya!
    why do idiots run around & squak like headless chickens (not sure if headless chickens squak, but you get the idea) and get all excited. this was probably just part of a cabinet brainstorming session, the same person probably suggested invading Belgium and taking over EU parliament.

Why do people pretend not to be interested or motivated by a topic and then come on to rubbish it to appear 'edgy'?

If the subject doesn't bother or motivate you there are plenty of other threads to entertain you. Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

9 am news on RTE Radio 1, the first item was about the car bomb, with all the usual condemnations from SF, etc, which was followed by the second news item, which was about the Solohead centenary commemoration. That's the country we live in, schizoid about these matters. :confused:

Apparently, the UK papers and news services all but ignored the bomb. On the BBC it was the last item mentioned before the sport. Can you imagine that happening if the bomb was in London or Birmingham?

It just goes to show how little the rest of the UK care about NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,430 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Grayson wrote: »
    Apparently, the UK papers and news services all but ignored the bomb. On the BBC it was the last item mentioned before the sport. Can you imagine that happening if the bomb was in London or Birmingham?

It was actually pretty well reported, not frontpage news (Brexit gets that most days) but certainly page 2 or 3. Sky news also reported on it that evening, not sure about BBC.

It was actually pretty well reported, not frontpage news (Brexit gets that most days) but certainly page 2 or 3. Sky news also reported on it that evening, not sure about BBC.

That's why I said all but ignored. It was there but wasn't prominent. As I said on BBC it was the last item before the sport.
    I just find it bizzare that a car bomb, placed there by a terrorist organisation, can blow up in a UK city and not be the top story. If that bomb had been placed by an Islamic group it would be the front page for days.

• Advertisement

Spot on. If some guy swerved a truck in Widnes you'd have had an immediate deployment of Sky and the BBC reporters to the area for rolling 24 hour coverage with an hysterical Kay Burley and etc.

most of the London media doesn't give a fiddlers what happens north of Watford, nevermind The North.
    your average english person knows or cares feck all about Ireland. they just think guinness, irish pubs and riverdance when you mention Ireland.
    why are we so offended by this?

most of the London media doesn't give a fiddlers what happens north of Watford, nevermind The North.
    your average english person knows or cares feck all about Ireland. they just think guinness, irish pubs and riverdance when you mention Ireland.

Why 'care' about anything. So edgy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

aye. Drinking guinness and dancing in the disco bumper to bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the whole issue is being over-hyped imo. part of project fear.
    there will be a return of a border of sorts.
    a lot of people will not be happy. most like me wont give a tinker's.
    life will go on.

lets wait until a no brexit happens. If theres a hard border, I can guarantee you will be proved wrong. You'll be very much in the minority

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    lets wait until a no brexit happens. If theres a hard border, I can guarantee you will be proved wrong. You'll be very much in the minority

no i wont. i rarely if ever travel North. if i ever do have reason to do so, and a customs official asks me to present my ID i will have no problem. if i have to wait in a queue to cross that border i really will not care.

this whole issue is being hyped beyond all reason, and Leo needs to be very careful or he'll end up with the very thing he says he wants to avoid.

no i wont. i rarely if ever travel North. if i ever do have reason to do so, and a customs official asks me to present my ID i will have no problem. if i have to wait in a queue to cross that border i really will not care.

this whole issue is being hyped beyond all reason, and Leo needs to be very careful or he'll end up with the very thing he says he wants to avoid.

ah right, sure theres the answer. you dont give a fiddlers, so therefore it's hyped. ignore the threat of violence, ignore the fact that in 1998 when they bombed Omagh, it was because they didnt trust the british government, and a hard border will now prove the british werent trustworthy.

none of that matters to anyone because Wheres Me Jumper? doesnt travel north very often (which gets more obvious as this debate goes on). I advise keeping out of the discussion considering you admittedly know very little about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

ah right, sure theres the answer. you dont give a fiddlers, so therefore it's hyped. ignore the threat of violence, ignore the fact that in 1998 when they bombed Omagh, it was because they didnt trust the british government, and a hard border will now prove the british werent trustworthy.

none of that matters to anyone because Wheres Me Jumper? doesnt travel north very often (which gets more obvious as this debate goes on). I advise keeping out of the discussion considering you admittedly know very little about it

They bombed Omagh because they were violent psychopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,193 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

would you be happy with 18 year old squaddies pointing rifles at you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah right. So because you rarely cross the border its not a big deal. Screw everyone that lives along the border and has to cross it several times a day to go to work, shop, see family etc.

well said Johnny!
    tbh i wouldn't even dignify those apologists with a response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Lone wolf with mental health problems?

Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that it's not important though. tens of thousands cross every day. Loads of businesses go back and forth. For example a lot of our milk comes from dairy farms in the north. It's shipped south and processed/packer here.

So although it won't have a direct impact on you, it will on others. And because of the effect it will have on trade, it will probably affect you indirectly through price increases.

United Ireland my arse.

Keep them up there where they belong. Us southerners will not tolerate any nordies, no matter what the class, colour or creed.

Check out Willie Frazer here.

Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean that it's not important though. tens of thousands cross every day. Loads of businesses go back and forth. For example a lot of our milk comes from dairy farms in the north. It's shipped south and processed/packer here.

So although it won't have a direct impact on you, it will on others. And because of the effect it will have on trade, it will probably affect you indirectly through price increases.

yes and i do not see why a minority who are affected should dictate to the majority of people on these islands who really don't care.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Check out Willie Frazer here.

The man has a point though (DEFTLEFTHAND, Not willie Frasier :) )

The north is just a big bag of crazy. Between unionists who can only say NO, punishment beating/shootings and an assembly that's in disarray, I can't see why anyone would want jurisdiction over it.

A united Ireland sounds nice in principle, but in practice I wouldn't want it. Not for decades at least.

yes and i do not see why a minority who are affected should dictate to the majority of people on these islands who really don't care.

Up here on the border, you are the minority. If you don't care, stand back and let whatever happens, happen then.

But you clearly do care, you ain't fooling nobody.

thats another reason

Lone wolf with mental health problems?

Im assuming it was to check out security and how they would react. note it was a firebomb not a carbomb, which wouldnt cause as much destruction. Personally I believe they are gearing up - with a no deal, hard broder brexit looming - to start another conflict. This recent bombing was a dry run, in order to gauge security reactions.

Wish it was as simple as a lone looney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

..... clearly not an attempt to kill

Well, that's alright then. No harm done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Im assuming it was to check out security and how they would react. note it was a firebomb not a carbomb, which wouldnt cause as much destruction. Personally I believe they are gearing up - with a no deal, hard broder brexit looming - to start another conflict. This recent bombing was a dry run, in order to gauge security reactions.

Wish it was as simple as a lone looney

Yeah there was obviously no intent to kill on this occasion.

The north is just a big bag of crazy. Between unionists who can only say NO, punishment beating/shootings and an assembly that's in disarray, I can't see why anyone would want jurisdiction over it.

A united Ireland sounds nice in principle, but in practice I wouldn't want it. Not for decades at least.

That's a fairly broad brush. I'm from Derry. The vast majority of people there and in the North, regardless of background don't agree with the fringe elements. I have many unionist friends who voted to remain because the chance of breaking off would be detrimental to their quality of life. This was obvious. Many nationalists were happy enough with the status quo in having an open border.

Brexit has taken a scenario that was stable in comparison to what came before and **** all over it. Brexit has done nothing more than have everyone in England at each others throats and is an exercise in brinkmanship. Seeing the usual suspects in the north raise their heads is not a surprise given the disarray the rest of the UK is in.

Obviously, a border poll would have to come with a clear picture of what the landscape would be in the event of a United Ireland being voted on. Unlike the ****show that is Brexit.

Yeah there was obviously no intent to kill on this occasion.

Ive no idea if there was or not

• Registered Users Posts: 22,017 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Another van hijacked in the city today

• Advertisement

it's not just Wille who thinks so.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-post-traumatic-stress-disorder-highest-in-world-28688780.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-16028713

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement