Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Bog all to do with Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

They're all a bit the same tbh

Only 2/3 right...but that's another story :)

Let's hope this isn't the excuse they were looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Looks like a Ford.

Maybe extremist Prius or God fordid Tesla drivers....or the spawn of Satan himself, cyclists!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bog all to do with Brexit.

The thicko's involved in this couldn't spell Brexit.

Sad to see something like this. Derry over the past decade has become a modern city, with a lot of money spent on attracting tourists into it. It has worked and its now full of visitors.
    It still lacks good jobs but nonsense like this will not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Maybe extremist Prius or God fordid Tesla drivers....or the spawn of Satan himself, cyclists!!!!

Hopefully they’ll blow up a Prius or two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Interesting that it's breaking news on the independent website and the news of importance to the BBC is the DR Congo elections

Interesting that it's breaking news on the independent website and the news of importance to the BBC is the DR Congo elections

To be fair it was a story on the BBC TV news tonight ok.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

NEWSFLASH

Here is a Police Messages
    Will keyholders in the Bishop Street area please to return to their premises.

It was a bomb, I have a friend in Derry who posted 'anyone just hear an explosion?' on Facebook 2 minutes after it happened.

The courthouse in Omagh was the intended target back in '98. I wonder does the courthouse have any significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm sorry but I I keep thinking Yugoslavia

Did they know the previous year. what would happen to their beautiful country

The people in charge need to be very very careful

• Advertisement

NEWSFLASH

Here is a Police Messages
    Will keyholders in the Bishop Street area please to return to their premises.

Ah, the memories of my youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

The gobshites in the comments are more worried about Sky calling it Londonderry than they are about the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The gobshites in the comments are more worried about Sky calling it Londonderry than they are about the story.

Sometimes the response is better than the message.

Saoradh, a crowd I have never heard of before tonight, released this statement tonight after the bomb attack.

All I can say is "sweet Jesus". Other than that, I have no words for those people and their beliefs.:rolleyes:

Saoradh, a republican organisation opposed to the Good Friday settlement, has speculated that a bomb attack in Derry on Saturday may have been timed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Soloheadbeg ambush on Monday. The party, in a post on its website, also described the suspected car bomb as a mine attack.

"Early reports from the city of Derry are indicating that a British institution in the form of Derry City Courthouse has been attacked this evening in what is believed to have been a large mine attack by republican revolutionaries," the group said. "Reports from the city say that a car filled with explosives, planted outside the British court, exploded as Crown Force personnel attended the scene," it added. In its statement the organisation did not condemn the suspected car bomb but instead stated: "This attack comes on the eve of the centenary of the Soloheadbeg ambush where SeTreacy and his comrades struck a historic blow against the Crown Forces in Tipperary, it seems 100 years later Volunteer SeTreacy’s comrades continue the unfinished revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

The war on meat
    Bloody Vegans .......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Great.
    Another nutcase republican splinter of a splinter group.
    No one wants this sh1t anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A good reminder to EU Leo and UN Simon about their border plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Where is all the usual ,”open boarders; floodgate, Markell, “ quotes..

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

NIMAN wrote: »
    Saoradh, a crowd I have never heard of before tonight, released this statement tonight after the bomb attack.

All I can say is "sweet Jesus". Other than that, I have no words for those people and their beliefs.:rolleyes:

Saoradh, a republican organisation opposed to the Good Friday settlement, has speculated that a bomb attack in Derry on Saturday may have been timed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of the Soloheadbeg ambush on Monday. The party, in a post on its website, also described the suspected car bomb as a mine attack.

"Early reports from the city of Derry are indicating that a British institution in the form of Derry City Courthouse has been attacked this evening in what is believed to have been a large mine attack by republican revolutionaries," the group said. "Reports from the city say that a car filled with explosives, planted outside the British court, exploded as Crown Force personnel attended the scene," it added. In its statement the organisation did not condemn the suspected car bomb but instead stated: "This attack comes on the eve of the centenary of the Soloheadbeg ambush where SeTreacy and his comrades struck a historic blow against the Crown Forces in Tipperary, it seems 100 years later Volunteer SeTreacy’s comrades continue the unfinished revolution.
    9 am news on RTE Radio 1, the first item was about the car bomb, with all the usual condemnations from SF, etc, which was followed by the second news item, which was about the Solohead centenary commemoration. That's the country we live in, schizoid about these matters. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

9 am news on RTE Radio 1, the first item was about the car bomb, with all the usual condemnations from SF, etc, which was followed by the second news item, which was about the Solohead centenary commemoration. That's the country we live in, schizoid about these matters. :confused:

There was the same condemnations from all the West Brits for the events in 1919.

The majority of the population then were passive and happy to live under British rule, much like today it seems.

A sovereign Ireland wouldn't exist today but for a minority of hard line republicans who have always been condemned by the West Brits majority.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

just a bunch of highly suggestible morons seeing Brexit as their opportunity to `shine`.
    Brexit will happen, and we will have a border of sorts, but apart from a few farmers who really cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

NIMAN wrote: »

Why is it schizoid as you put it?weird post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Bet it's an insurance job!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,448 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

There was the same condemnations from all the West Brits for the events in 1919.

The majority of the population then were passive and happy to live under British rule, much like today it seems.

A sovereign Ireland wouldn't exist today but for a minority of hard line republicans who have always been condemned by the West Brits majority.

Lets get a united ireland by killing our own, dissident "republicans" .... great bunch of lads.
    Residents, hundreds of hotel guests, 150 people from the Masonic Hall and a large number of children from a church youth club were evacuated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

just a bunch of highly suggestible morons seeing Brexit as their opportunity to `shine`. Brexit will happen, and we will have a border of sorts, but apart from a few farmers who really cares?
    There isn't words to describe your ignorance of our history if you think nobody cares.
    Going back to what happened in the 70's and 80's looks like where we are heading if we get a border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

What's the bet Farage or Johnson will be out sometime this week claiming this is why a hard border is actually needed and in fact they need to "build a wall" to keep Irish bad hombres out of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

touts wrote: »
    What's the bet Farage or Johnson will be out sometime this week claiming this is why a hard border is actually needed and in fact they need to "build a wall" to keep Irish bad hombres out of the UK.

Wouldn't actually make much sense given the bad hombres who are intent on attacking UK already all live in the north.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bet it's an insurance job!?
    Insurance in this part of the world doesn't payout for terrorist stuff. The governments do. So fraud wouldn't just be a civil matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,237 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

DColeman wrote: »
    Wouldn't actually make much sense given the bad hombres who are intent on attacking UK already all live in the north.

Farage and Johnson are probably stupid enough to believe that. History tells us a different story.
    I'm sure we will have the usual posters insisting that these guys were beaten by the all supreme BA by infiltration etc etc etc.

The facts of history are though that fighting a guerilla war is next to impossible and there will be plenty within Britain itself who will support these actions.
    If you believe the myth that taking the campaign to the British in Britain didn't bring them to the table, carry on. There will again, be plenty, who don't see it that way. The British need to take action in order to ensure this does not ramp up.

We are living in scary times with the blind leading the blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement