Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well there is the terror attack some on AH have been so fervently warning us about daily.

I recognised the name Saoradh somewhere - they had a sign up outside Nutgrove shopping centre (driving exit to the car park, on the railings you're facing as you exit between Argos and the petrol station) in Rathfarnham just up the road from Dundrum SC for a good few weeks last year, right around the time of the referendum (its why the poster caught my eye in the first place, I figured it was a pro/anti 8th group I hadn't heard of).

There are a bunch of schools around there, mainly primary (including the school I was in when they signed the GFA) as well as at least one GAA and another soccer club in the park. I think we could all agree that kids would do well to not grow up with terrorist recruiting sh*te right outside their schools and sports clubs in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Shame for the decent folk in NI that this type of stuff happened.

No chance of a united Ireland with any trouble happening. The south doesn't want that baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's a shame that the UK is currently led by morons who aren't capable of dealing with complexities or subtle diplomacy.

We really lived through a golden age of pragmatism in the 1990s, certainly with respect to UK politians' ability to understand the Northern Ireland problems.

The UK really needs to find its Mo Molams again. There's an urgent need for that kind of hands on, no nonsense, pragmatic, sane politics both in Britain and Northern Ireland.

Even under John Major's Tory government things were far, far more pragmatic.

This element of the Tories seem to thrive on nothing but hate, division, fear and jingoism. They're an a absolute disgrace.

It's really disappointing to see what's happened to the UK over the last few years.

It's not the country I lived in in the mid 2000s. It's been ripped apart by "leaders" who are as bad or worse than Trump and co.

They really don't care what damage they cause as long as they get their damn Brexit and what's worse, they don't even seem to know what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,739 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

EdgeCase wrote:
    This element of the Tories seem to thrive on nothing but hate, division, fear and jingoism. They're an a absolute disgrace.
    It's not just the Tories though, that idiot leader of Labour seems to be pushing it as far as he can in his own interests as regards the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

News:
    A big bang occured
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

24 hours later:
    Something else happened
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

24 hours later:
    Something else happened
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

Why do people give a fook

Addicted to the 24hr news cycle?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's not just the Tories though, that idiot leader of Labour seems to be pushing it as far as he can in his own interests as regards the next general election.

It's a perfect storm:

1. Weird bunch of upper class jingoistic right wing Tories in minority government supported by the DUP ensuring that any pragmatic solution for NI are off the table ✓

2. Northern Ireland assembly off line due to massive huff over important but side issues ✓

3. Labour leadership wrapped up in internal civil war over centre Vs left and combined with random issues like anti-Semitism etc ✓

4. Labour having no real stance on Brexit other than maybe a bit less hard than the Tories rendering them as not really an opposition party. ✓

You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

just dole louts trying to drag the city backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Make no mistake, the longer the extremist factions of the Conservative Party are left in the driving seat, with the dangerous ideologues the DUP acting as the conductor when it comes to opposition over a backstop, the more likelihood there will be of a return to bloodshed on the streets of NI and beyond The rhetoric coming out of London in the last two years is both reckless and ignorant of our shared histories.

No doubt that MI5 has briefed the PM and the home Secretary on the dangers posed to security in the NI, should they continue to career dangerously on the path they have set their eyes upon. That they will deny such warnings means that should any violence inevitably come to pass, they will have blood on their hands. Come what May...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

News:
    A big bang occured
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

24 hours later:
    Something else happened
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

24 hours later:
    Something else happened
    Some are outraged
    Others are supportive

Because it was a terrorist attack that put the lives of innocent people at risk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Because of this Brexit bs the north's about the get a lot worse. Not looking forward to seeing what a far poorer economy results in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Any kind of border set up, and we will see sh!t like this starting up again. No one, and I mean no one wants to see border controls, or patrols again.
    eh...someone dose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's no 'the south' or 'the north'. It's Ireland and Northern Ireland.

There's the island of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

There isn't words to describe your ignorance of our history if you think nobody cares.
    Going back to what happened in the 70's and 80's looks like where we are heading if we get a border.

dont be daft. it's snowflakes like you who get all excited over nuthin. you know nothing about irish history, so dont pretend you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I banged my head on an open kitchen cabinet door today.

****ing Brexit caused it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

biko wrote: »
    I banged my head on an open kitchen cabinet door today.

****ing Brexit caused it :mad:

Brexit is potentially resulting in the return of a border in Ireland due to the whole of the Uk leaving the single market. The loss of regulatory alignment means a border is needed. This invalidates the Good Friday agreement which ended a thirty year conflict. It's not hyperbole to say Brexit will cause problems in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

May is now talking about unilaterally amending the GFA to placate the DUP.

I'm speechless tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm speechless tbh.

Can she even do that if it's an 'agreement'?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No, but I guess the DUP want someone else to blame as being unreasonable after this all goes up in flames and they are still in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

dont be daft. it's snowflakes like you who get all excited over nuthin. you know nothing about irish history, so dont pretend you do.

if you think bringing back border checks wont cause unrest in the north (and i think the derry bomb was an indication of what will come) then you need to rethink what knowing 'nothing about irish history' means.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

the whole issue is being over-hyped imo. part of project fear.
    there will be a return of a border of sorts.
    a lot of people will not be happy. most like me wont give a tinker's.
    life will go on.

They're not really getting the concept of agreements. This is exactly what they've been doing to the EU too!

the whole issue is being over-hyped imo. part of project fear. there will be a return of a border of sorts.... life will go on.

Yeah, well, an English trucker was interviewed on Prime Time last week and he was saying that the last time he had to go through an EU-non-EU hard border, namely the one between Serbia & Hungary, he had to wait 23 hours. Yes, hours.

Thinking the EU-UK hard border in Ireland will not actually be as hard is from precisely the same mentality that cries "discrimination!" when it dawns on them that their hard Brexit means they can't keep the benefits of the EU club when they leave it. Hard EU borders are not an abstract concept, a mere example of "fearmongering". They exist for political and economic reasons, such as the political desire to restrict immigration (which is a central reason for Brexit).

Let's see how long a Serbian-style "hard border" will be tolerated in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,544 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Let's see how long a Serbian-style "hard border" will be tolerated in Ireland.

The EU will tell is what to do, we will have no say in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Some one will bury the dildo, Government maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,739 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

And then Irexit starts.
    You'll have the scaremongering if the troubles start again from those who want out if the EU.

And then Irexit starts.
    You'll have the scaremongering if the troubles start again from those who want out if the EU.

And if we do that we end up with with a wrecked economy, having gone from being a key point of access to the EU and single market and reduced to being a small backwater again.

To make matters worse we would be depending on a gentleman's agreement style relationship with the UK. They couldn't care less what happens to us and we would be in a completely powerless position.

Not only that but the UK economy could easily go down that toilet. Do we really want to get off the EU bus and into the passenger seat of our pompous, unhinged neighbour who is determined to drive off a cliff?

I think if there a hard border, NI will be on a fast track towards a border poll and leaving the UK. It will be even faster of the British economy tanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

And then Irexit starts.

Better chance of Raymond D’Arcy show on Saturday night returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm speechless tbh.

Heard that last night as well. Seems a Billion wasn't enough.

There has been a lot of negatives about Brexit, but touching the GFA is up there as one of the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

most like me wont give a tinker's.

Ignorance is bliss for people like you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement