Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations 2019 Build Up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hard to believe today is Chris Ashton's first start in the 6N in 6 years. He has scored over 100 tries in that time. Bizarre how overlooked he has been even when they were misfiring in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Did tv3 just put France v wales up at the start of the program or did I dream it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Buer wrote: »
    Hard to believe today is Chris Ashton's first start in the 6N in 6 years. He has scored over 100 tries in that time. Bizarre how overlooked he has been even when they were misfiring in attack.

It's because he was in France for one of those years right? And 2016 into 2017 was England's golden period under Jones.

That opening weekend really took the good out of the championship from an Irish perspective. Can't help but feel we're watching an England Grand Slam now.

Really only see Wales being in a position to have a say at this point. France could do us all a favour and deny a bonus point today but don't think they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Ireland playing for 2nd place now after today’s result. Important we win our next three games and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Something very "2003" about England this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »

Good, that's great.

I see what you're doing there, building the hype and piling on pressure.

Maybe "Three Lions" will get back into the top ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

England looking the business! Eddie looking like a genius!
    Think they'll beat Wales going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

To win the RWC England have to beat Argentina, France, Australia/Wales/(Fiji), semifinal (NZ if games go to rankings, other possible opponents include SA or Ireland) then final in 5 consecutive games. Would be worthy winners if they did so.

6N has been pretty disappointing to date. England have been good, everyone else mediocre to poor. If England beat Wales, tournament is wrapped up by round 3. Was hoping for more after the autumn internationals tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Agreed

It's a simple but effective game plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scotland blindside Ryan Wilson damaged knee ligaments last Saturday and will miss the rest of the Six Nations. Scotland have been wrecked by injury, particularly in the backrow where John Barclay, Hamish Watson, Sam Skinner, Dave Denton, Blade Thomson, John Hardie and Magnus Bradbury also already missing.

Huw Jones and Stuart Hogg picked up injuries to their knee and shoulder respectively. Don't know the prognosis yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

swiwi_ wrote: »
    To win the RWC England have to beat Argentina, France, Australia/Wales/(Fiji), semifinal (NZ if games go to rankings, other possible opponents include SA or Ireland) then final in 5 consecutive games. Would be worthy winners if they did so.

6N has been pretty disappointing to date. England have been good, everyone else mediocre to poor. If England beat Wales, tournament is wrapped up by round 3. Was hoping for more after the autumn internationals tbh.

So could be NZ v Scotland qf, vs winner of (likely) England v Wales in sf. There's no easy side of a draw at a RWC but that could be tough draw for England. Early days yet sure!

Yeah it's been a bit of an anti-climax. I don't think playing England for our last game last season and first this one helped. That said can't play in same order every year. Hard to see past England for GS unless Wales or Scotland cause an upset which looks unlikely. Don't think 6Ns in RWC years have ever been vintage but still!

• Site Banned Posts: 2 krupta

Congratulations England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Stole this sneaky gem from Reddit.

Gas craic.
    Using advanced mathematics I've determined not only that England will win but the margin by which they will.

If we look at England's last three 6N wins the scores are:

12-6

20-32

44-8

The margins of victory here are 6, 12, 36. There's a clear pattern here. Each game is won by the margin of the previous game multiplied by the number tjr game is in the sequence.

In the first game they won by 6.

Game 2 was won by 2x6 = 12.

Game 3 was won by 3x12 = 36.

The pattern is clear. England will win by a 4x36 = 144 point margin against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Halfpenny is back available for Wales and Mako Vunipola has just been ruled of the tournament. Suddenly England's trip looks a lot tougher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would be surprised if Halfpenny starts a game in this tournament even if available.

Faletau needs another operation on his arm ruling him out of a potential comeback before the end of the tournament.

Bad day for the Faletau/Vunipola clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Odds on France getting the wooden spoon?

They'll still probably give us a shock, in the one game of the tournament they'll show up for, but despite Italy being absolutely terrible I've a feeling France could really throw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No changes to the French extended squad for the Scotland game.

Poirot, Priso,
    Guirado, Bourgarit, Chat,
    Atonio, Bamba, Aldegheri ;
    Lambey, Vahaamahina, Willemse ;
    Iturria, Camara, Lauret, Alldritt, Sanconnie, Picamoles.

Parra, Dupont, Serin,
    Lopez, Belleau ;
    Doumayrou, Fofana, Bastareaud, Ntamack ;
    Penaud, Fickou, Huget, Ramos, Medard

With 31 players there's plenty scope to make changes to the matchday 23 but naming the same extended squad isn't a good sign. The experienced heads who failed miserably against England should have been dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Would I correct in saying that since the remarkable last day in 2015 the 6n title has been wrapped up before the last week each of the last 3 seasons? The same will happen if England beat Wales this year. Credit to them, they will then have won 3 handy 6ns out of 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

jr86 wrote: »
    Would I correct in saying that since the remarkable last day in 2015 the 6n title has been wrapped up before the last week each of the last 3 seasons? The same will happen if England beat Wales this year. Credit to them, they will then have won 3 handy 6ns out of 4.

That's correct. It's actually quite hard to think back to the maximum 10 point system. Five on field points swing during the Wales v Ireland match during the tournament potentially being the difference between first and third place finish back in 2015

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's correct. It's actually quite hard to think back to the maximum 10 point system. Five on field points swing during the Wales v Ireland match during the tournament potentially being the difference between first and third place finish back in 2015

We've been on both sides of this; the 2014 and 2015 were both won on points difference, but specifically thinking Heaslips try-saving tackle on Hogg, and also the 2007 6 Nations where we conceded a last minute try to Italy AND France scored a last minute try. Not to mention the try on 78 minutes vs France in Croker... Only for the England game, that would've been a particularly brutal year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So, Hogg out for the rest of the Six Nations at least, as feared.

jr86 wrote: »

Guess it's fairly safe to say they will get 5 points vs Italy so yeah will finish on 14/15 after Wales match, then 19/20 before Scotland game.

Surely on course for a GS way they're playing too? Bar an upset from the Scots or Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So, Hogg out for the rest of the Six Nations at least, as feared.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1095782208986587136?s=19

Talk that he might not make the RWC

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Big loss for Glasgow if he's out for rest of season and their qf against Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Didn't want to link to the mail, tbh, but yeah. I read that too. Serious loss for Scotland, out of such an innoccuous yet still illegal block. Happens plenty of times a game in similar ways, but this one ends in a potentially career ending injury (practically).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Am I the only one that thinks there is a bit of karma involved in Hogg being injured? He's a very talented player and great to watch but there have been numerous times that he has thrown himself to the ground like Neymar, trying to milk a penalty. And this time he hurt himself.

Also that Super Saturday match in Murrayfield when Ireland won the 6N; he twice jumped up claiming tries that he knew he didn't score. What made it worse was the look on his face and the shake of his head when the TMO said no try. WTF?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks there is a bit of karma involved in Hogg being injured? He's a very talented player and great to watch but there have been numerous times that he has thrown himself to the ground like Neymar, trying to milk a penalty. And this time he hurt himself.

Also that Super Saturday match in Murrayfield when Ireland won the 6N; he twice jumped up claiming tries that he knew he didn't score. What made it worse was the look on his face and the shake of his head when the TMO said no try. WTF?!?

No you are not the only one.
    Himself and Laidlaw are 2 figures that have always rubbed me the wrong way.
    Wouldn't have wished this injury on him mind. But he has been very fond of playing the victim at times as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

kuang1 wrote: »
    No you are not the only one.
    Himself and Laidlaw are 2 figures that have always rubbed me the wrong way.
    Wouldn't have wished this injury on him mind. But he has been very fond of playing the victim at times as you say.

Ever heard of magnanimity and sportsmanship?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

So he's a bit of a d**k. Every team has them.

I don't think that means he deserves to have his Six Nations ended by a cheap shot.

Advertisement