Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Nations 2019 Build Up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

12 Wales players in camp havent trained yet this week out of the squad of 38

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Marengo wrote: »
    Billy V

Sounds like a rapper :)

Hopefully he'll be chopped down all day long. The Welsh template v Ferris and SOB WC 2011.

Or the Ireland template v Eng in ‘17!
    Graces also the ref that day.
    Convinced Ireland will be able to slow English ball down & dominate possession with their superior ruck technique.
    England are going to pick a XV for POWER

So France host Wales this Friday night at 8:00pm

First let's state the obvious - IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR

But secondly this is a brilliant fixture to kick things off.

France generally tend to have the longest prep window for this opening game and we saw against Ireland last year that they really closed the door on us.

Wales are typically slow starters in the six nations and having France up first away from home is not ideal for them.

I'd imagine Gatland will name his team tomorrow so we'll have a window into his thinking early in the week. France will have to target this championship to find some form ahead of the World Cup. They've a talented squad but just can't convert that into consistent performances. They also need to contend with away trips to Dublin and London and they'll be favourites for neither.

Wales have Italy in round 2 so they can really throw themselves into this fixture, France travel to Twickenham in round 2 so will target the home game.

It's going to be a belter and I could see Wales attacking the game relentlessly from the off.

If Wales win it sets them up extremely well for the championship. They'll have Italy in round 2 then a week off and then they host England.

They have another weekend off before a trip to Scotland and then they host us. I think if they win tonight then they'll be 4/5 by the time we head over there. The fixtures are hugely favourable for them.

A French win has less dramatic overtures for the tournament and I don't think they'll take much away from round 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I really hope Italy pick up a win this year but theyre so farcical in their defence that I just can't see it happening.

Parisse just stumbling towards the record cap total at this point and as I heard on OTB this week, 134 caps with 100 losses. Yikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Scottish Jodi

My predictions for opening weekend : France 12-34 Wales, Scotland 28-9 Italy and England 23-35 Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Are we having our usual fights over who's previewing what games? 5 games each weekend, including the U 20's and the Women's, so plenty of chances for budding scribes.

My predictions for opening weekend : France 12-34 Wales, Scotland 28-9 Italy and England 23-35 Ireland.

France 22 - 20 Wales

Scotland 38 - 17 Italy

Ireland 24 - 16 England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    France 22 - 20 Wales

Scotland 38 - 17 Italy

Ireland 24 - 16 England

France 17 Wales 17

Scotland 28 Italy 6

Ireland 20 England 9

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Is Dupont injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Parra, Lopez and Ntamack as 9/10/12.

You'd have to attack that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

France 24 Wales 22
    Ireland 24 England 12
    Scotland 34 Italy 12

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Welsh team is pretty underwhelming.

Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

In fairness, the halfbacks have been in good form this season but the 6N is going to be another step up for them in terms of pressure. Big step up for Tomos Williams in particular.

I'd fancy France to win by 7.

France: Maxime Medard; Damian Penaud, Wesley Fofana, Romain Ntamack, Yoann Huget; Camille Lopez, Morgan Parra; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Uini Atonio, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Paul Willemse, Wenceslas Lauret, Arthur Iturria, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Julien Marchand, Dany Priso, Demba Bamba, Felix Lambey, Gregory Alldritt, Baptiste Serin, Gael Fickou, Geoffrey Doumayrou.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,090 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anscombe is definitely get-at-able.... i think ill side for france on this one, but damn they are just so unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    Welsh team is pretty underwhelming.

Wales: Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Worcester); Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, captain), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

In fairness, the halfbacks have been in good form this season but the 6N is going to be another step up for them in terms of pressure. Big step up for Tomos Williams in particular.

I'd fancy France to win by 7.

France: Maxime Medard; Damian Penaud, Wesley Fofana, Romain Ntamack, Yoann Huget; Camille Lopez, Morgan Parra; Jefferson Poirot, Guilhem Guirado (capt), Uini Atonio, Sebastien Vahaamahina, Paul Willemse, Wenceslas Lauret, Arthur Iturria, Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: Julien Marchand, Dany Priso, Demba Bamba, Felix Lambey, Gregory Alldritt, Baptiste Serin, Gael Fickou, Geoffrey Doumayrou.

Basteraud left out altogether.......or is he injured?

Left out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Anscombe is definitely get-at-able.... i think ill side for france on this one, but damn they are just so unpredictable.

You never know with Wales. They just seem to be able to up their levels once the put on the Welsh jersey. During the 6 Nations, at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

France look a lot stronger in the back five of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Wales really don't look that impressive on paper outside the back line and back row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clegg wrote: »
    Parra, Lopez and Ntamack as 9/10/12.

You'd have to attack that channel.

Ntamack and Fofana has to be the most creative French midfield in about 20 years though.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ntamack and Fofana has to be the most creative French midfield in about 20 years though.

The 2nd rows are BIG units.

troyzer wrote: »
    Wales really don't look that impressive on paper outside the back line and back row.

Fair bit of talent there all the same and Gatland is getting a lot out of this group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Fair bit of talent there all the same and Gatland is getting a lot out of this group.

This is the key point. Wales are greater than the sum of their parts which is certainly evidenced by their poor form at club level.

Wales are going to really go downhill after he leaves.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The 2nd rows are BIG units.

It has to be one of the biggest front fives in test history. Weights according to French union's site.

Poirot: 120kg
    Atonio: 142kg
    Willemse: 135kg
    Vahaamahina: 125kg

Guirado is the runt of the litter at a mere 105kg.

Baptiste Serin must be in good form as I find it crazy that Dupont doesn't make the 23. He's absolutely class IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Baptiste Serin must be in good form as I find it crazy that Dupont doesn't make the 23. He's absolutely class IMO.

Rightfully nominated for European POTY

I see Matteo Minozzi is still injured and isn't in the Italy squad. That's a sickener, he was electric last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    It has to be one of the biggest front fives in test history. Weights according to French union's site.

Poirot: 120kg
    Atonio: 142kg
    Willemse: 135kg
    Vahaamahina: 125kg

Guirado is the runt of the litter at a mere 105kg.

Not the most mobile front 5 in the world you’d imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not the most mobile front 5 in the world you’d imagine.

Quite capable to injure key players though if we get out of that game injury free I’d be suprised

Advertisement