Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Aegir I don't get your posts at all. Who is saying the single market doesn't need a border? Jacob Rees Mogg and Boris Johnson as far as I can see? Have you been on the cooking sherry?

go back and read the thread and don't be so quick with the ad hominem

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Aegir wrote: »
    go back and read the thread and don't be so quick with the ad hominem

Right well can you provide me with the details of anyone who has said the single market doesn't need borders apart from leave voters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's a real shame to see this happening again. I've visted Derry/Londonderry a few times and found it a great place. This bombing could be a real setback for tourism in the area.

I can assure you that this city and this county are called Doire (or Derry in the foreigners' language) and not anything else.

Right well can you provide me with the details of anyone who has said the single market doesn't need borders apart from leave voters?

I have put the posts in order, it seems quite clear the conversation. ittakestwo seems to think that whatever happens, ireland can remain in the single market, but as i said, it won't without a border.

You then chucked in a bit of ad hominem for good measure and finished with your statement that Ireland will still be in the single market with or without a border.

If the UK crashes out and there is not agreement on regulatory alignment, then there will need to be a border. so your statement was incorrect.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    How is Ireland jumping of a cliff with them? We will remain nicely in the EU custom Union :)
    not without a border
    Jesus mate your posts are indicative of the type of fundamental ignorance British people have of the EU. Ireland will still be in the single market with or without a border.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I can assure you that this city and this county are called Doire (or Derry in the foreigners' language) and not anything else.

is that anywhere near Londonderry?

edit: apologies, I see you are talking about Coontie Lunnonderrie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sureal

If a hard border is introduced, there will be a Republican campaign to tear it down. I've no doubt that the campaign will travel to Britain as we saw in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The British government and people should be really careful about how they handle this Brexit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sureal

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Would that be the foreigner language you're speaking now?

In fairness, Irish people were forced to speak English. It would have been the same if the Nazis had taken over, we'd all be speaking German.

I have put the posts in order, it seems quite clear the conversation. ittakestwo seems to think that whatever happens, ireland can remain in the single market, but as i said, it won't without a border.

You then chucked in a bit of ad hominem for good measure and finished with your statement that Ireland will still be in the single market with or without a border.

If the UK crashes out and there is not agreement on regulatory alignment, then there will need to be a border. so your statement was incorrect.

Aegir the only way Ireland leaves the single market is if it votes to leave the EU. That's the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Risteard81 wrote: »

Ah, I dunno...I've heard it called loads of things. Daire Calgaich, Daire Coluimb Chille, Doire, Derry, Londonderry, Stroke City, Legenderry, Londondeadly, etc. I prefer Derry myself but I'm not going to get all worked up about someone calling it something else on the internet. That would be childish.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 66,869 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir the only way Ireland leaves the single market is if it votes to leave the EU. That's the only way.

The price the DUP will pay for wrecking May's path to Brexit will be a border poll. Mark Francie's word.

• Advertisement

Yeah, **** it. Who needs a border and tariffs and stuff.

Oddly enough, a lot of Brexiteers believe the same.

Yeah, **** it. Who needs a border and tariffs and stuff.

Oddly enough, a lot of Brexiteers believe the same.

Yes you need a border if there's no regulatory alignment. I don't see how that means Ireland's leaving the single market.

Yes you need a border if there's no regulatory alignment. I don't see how that means Ireland's leaving the single market.

I’m not sure why this is so hard for you to grasp.

Ireland needs to carry out checks on goods coming in to the single market. That is one of the key tenants. That means a border. It isn’t just an Ireland/UK border, it is an external border of the single market.

I didn’t say Ireland was leaving the single market, but if it wants to remain in it, it will need some form of border.

Ireland needs to carry out checks on goods coming in to the single market. That is one of the key tenants. That means a border. It isn’t just an Ireland/UK border, it is an external border of the single market.

I didn’t say Ireland was leaving the single market, but if it wants to remain in it, it will need some form of border.

And we know that the UK will cause the need for one if they crash out (which they won't because they are too afraid to).

This was always the case and is why we fought so hard for an alternative in the deal.

If you want any form of Brexit it looks like that deal is your only option. And that deal suits us to the ground and is the best of all possible outcomes for the northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It will need some form of border if Britain crashes out. If Britain crashes out it's in serious trouble. You're gloating over splashing someone with water due to your bus driving off a cliff into the sea.

srcstc.gif

It will need some form of border if Britain crashes out. If Britain crashes out it's in serious trouble. You're gloating over splashing someone with water due to your bus driving off a cliff into the sea.

srcstc.gif

I’m not gloating about anything Tom, I’m telling people to cop the **** on.

Sitting there and simply blaming the Brits, won’t work this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

The price the DUP will pay for wrecking May's path to Brexit will be a border poll. Mark Francie's word.
    I would say most English politicians would be glad to see the back of the North. It brings nothing to table but trouble.The rest of the UK has to subsidise it's economy and instead of them being greatful they bite the hand that feeds them.

Both UK and ireland should force them to go independent by not letting them be part of eithers country. Both nationalists and unionist lose and nobody for them to sponge of either.

I’m not gloating about anything Tom, I’m telling people to cop the **** on.

Sitting there and simply blaming the Brits, won’t work this time.

Whose fault is this mess exactly?

Whose fault is this mess exactly?

So are you saying the UK shouldn’t leave the Eu becaus it’s a bit inconvenient for the Irish?

Talk about an over blown sense of self importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

So are you saying the UK shouldn’t leave the Eu becaus it’s a bit inconvenient for the Irish?

They mean this whole mess was caused by Britian voting to leave the EU. They want to leave the EU with a deal. But they won't get a deal if there is a border on ireland. The choice is 100% britian's on what they want to do.

• Advertisement

The UK can go where it likes imo. They have a responsibility on this island though and they are being held to it, if they want (and they do want) a deal.

This isn't empire days anymore.

Ah right. So the original comment you disagreed with about Ireland staying in the custom union was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The sooner they're out the better. I feel bad for the people that voted to remain, and it's a shame that it will cause problems for us, but on the upside Rule Britannia types will have to learn to deal with Britain's place in the world as a bit-player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

The UK is certainly now in the territory of being a failed state. The only upside to a hard brexit will be a hastening of British withdrawal from the island of Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Lads, BREXIT thread thata way
    )

This is about a bomb in Derry, which had little to do with BREXIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

NIMAN wrote: »
    Lads, BREXIT thread thata way
    )

This is about a bomb in Derry, which had little to do with BREXIT.

It had everything to do with Brexit - Despite what anyone says!

I'm saying the Irish shouldn't have to leave because of some English nationalists want to. The majority of northern Ireland voted to remain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It had everything to do with Brexit - Despite what anyone says!

Not so sure about that. Dissident activity has been ongoing in Derry for years now, long before anyone even mentioned Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

zapitastas wrote: »
    The UK is certainly now in the territory of being a failed state. .

What a quintessentially outlandish statement to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭O'Neill

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I would say most English politicians would be glad to see the back of the North. It brings nothing to table but trouble.The rest of the UK has to subsidise it's economy and instead of them being greatful they bite the hand that feeds them.

Both UK and ireland should force them to go independent by not letting them be part of eithers country. Both nationalists and unionist lose and nobody for them to sponge of either.

You talk about the North as if it's the naughty school child in the class. It's been through a lot. Up until now at least it's improved a lot. You talk about the UK subsiding the economy? By simply throwing money at the place and not actually caring about the issues of the place is inevitable going to lead to problems!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement