Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car bomb has exploded in Derry City Centre

Options

Comments

You are living in a fantasy land if you think the reason it's at the forefront of their thoughts for any other reason than using it as a political pawn.

"London", and indeed most of the ordinary citizens from Britain don't give a shiny steaming turd for the people in the north, it's literally their last concern.

If they crash out of the EU, it's people will be effectively dragged out against their wishes, including unionist people.

Oddly enough, the people of London would be dragged out against their wishes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Aegir wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the people of London would be dragged out against their wishes as well.

yep it's that weird thing we call democracy.

NI is part of the UK, and not part of the Rep of Ireland.
    As such just like London, it must abide by the democratic decision of the people of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,028 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

As such just like London, it must abide by the democratic decision of the people of the UK.

That's not working out too well is it?

Why? Because the UK have an international agreement to honour. An agreement the DUP never signed up to.

This contradiction is known as a 'snooker' in sporting parlance and it's your shot, team Theresa and the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Berserker wrote: »
    While the decent people in Northern Ireland, Unionists and the majority of Nationalists are busy being doing democratic stuff,
    By "democratic stuff" you mean two parties who only secured 43.3% of the vote between them are holding everyone else in a headlock, right? Not to mention the upper house made up of the entitled elite, and the head of state who inherits their title through birthright as in the middle ages.

There's a democratic deficit here alright, but you're looking in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

And yet passports say the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :rolleyes:

No.

They say "ÉIRE". So an epic fail from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No.

well mine certainly says EIRE. But i'm not from Northern Ireland. UK citizens, including those from Northern Ireland, do have a passport from the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I mean, the place definitely exists. I'm really surprised you haven't heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It's a real shame to see this happening again. I've visted Derry/Londonderry a few times and found it a great place. This bombing could be a real setback for tourism in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Southdubin6

well mine certainly says EIRE. But i'm not from Northern Ireland. UK citizens, including those from Northern Ireland, do have a passport from the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I mean, the place definitely exists. I'm really surprised you haven't heard of it.

Residents have tHe choice of which passport.

Residents have tHe choice of which passport.

They certainly do. I'm glad you acknowledge the existance of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You may dispute its legality but you cannot dispute its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Berserker wrote: »
    Ever thought about a career in comedy Francie? You always make me laugh. London has NI at the forefront of it's thoughts these days. Switch on any broadcast that mentions Brexit and you'll see NI mentioned. The Union is doing fine, thank you very much. Brexit will get implemented. It'll be hard, as I said before. The Union will be fine and NI will sit back and watch the RoI struggle with the impact.

While the decent people in Northern Ireland, Unionists and the majority of Nationalists are busy being doing democratic stuff, I see that the dregs of NI (Irish republicans) are doing their best to drag that part of the United Kingdom back into the dark ages. Looks like they are going to fail, thankfully.

Yet we've had a MP who thought he, and any british person, could get an Irish passport. And there was an NI secretary who knew nothing about NI.

• Advertisement

That's not working out too well is it?

Why? Because the UK have an international agreement to honour. An agreement the DUP never signed up to.

This contradiction is known as a 'snooker' in sporting parlance and it's your shot, team Theresa and the DUP.

An international agreement the UK is sticking to.

An international agreement the UK is sticking to.

And which has so far stymied Brexit, or the Brexit the UK wants.

I still predict that the DUP will be the ones who will be shafted. It was inevitable from the get go. The UK have tried twice to do it and will eventually win.

And which has so far stymied Brexit, or the Brexit the UK wants.

which is what, exactly?

which is what, exactly?

a lot of so called nationalists do not fully understand how democracy works imo. democracy is not always straightforward. it's messy.
    of course some of them prefer to plant bombs than deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No.

Not on a British passport ;)

They certainly do. I'm glad you acknowledge the existance of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You may dispute its legality but you cannot dispute its existence.

Can you show me where I disputed anything?

Can you show me where I disputed anything?

what was the purpose of your post then? was it just a piece of information that you thought others were not aware of?

which is what, exactly?

Where the UK gets what it wants to the detriment of the other 27.
    They are stuck with crashing out (which it turns out they are afraid of) Theresa's deal which sells out the DUP or forget the whole lamentable confused idea.

Where the UK gets what it wants to the detriment of the other 27.
    They are stuck with crashing out (which it turns out they are afraid of) Theresa's deal which sells out the DUP or forget the whole lamentable confused idea.

despite the fact you are, as usual, wrong in your appraisal, none of the above has anything to do with the GFA.

what was the purpose of your post then? was it just a piece of information that you thought others were not aware of?

No it was correcting your post that residents had a UK passport you didn’t include and Irish one. No need to thank me.

• Advertisement

despite the fact you are, as usual, wrong in your appraisal, none of the above has anything to do with the GFA.

If there was no GFA and the UK could have negotiated a better deal.
    They have been royally snookered by it, because Ireland and it's 26 partners are protecting it.

Do you see the EU tearing itself apart squirming to find a solution?

If there was no GFA and the UK could have negotiated a better deal.
    They have been royally snookered by it, because Ireland and it's 26 partners are protecting it.

Do you see the EU tearing itself apart squirming to find a solution?

aah Francie, keep trying and one day, you will get something right :rolleyes:

No it was correcting your post that residents had a UK passport you didn’t include and Irish one. No need to thank me.

can you try that again in english? it makes no sense.

aah Francie, keep trying and one day, you will get something right :rolleyes:

well despite Leo's denial we are in line for a border on this island. i've been saying this all along, but the remainers that populate these boards don't like hearing that.

i see no other way through this, so long as our Govt. refuses to compromise and soften their Backstop stance. Threesa may have painted herself into a corner, but so have we!

which is what, exactly?
    The Brexit the UK wants is one where it can trade freely with the EU without any borders whatsoever, continue to piggyback on the EU's international trade agreements, while having full autonomy to rewrite the rules underpinning those agreements unilaterally.

Because a red bus told them it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

United Ireland my arse.

Keep them up there where they belong. Us southerners will not tolerate any nordies, no matter what the class, colour or creed.

I'm as much as Irish as you are...

well despite Leo's denial we are in line for a border on this island. i've been saying this all along, but the remainers that populate these boards don't like hearing that.

i see no other way through this, so long as our Govt. refuses to compromise and soften their Backstop stance. Threesa may have painted herself into a corner, but so have we!

yep, but Coveney and Varadkar did see their approval ratings rise for "Sticking it to the Brits".

seamus wrote: »
    The Brexit the UK wants is one where it can trade freely with the EU without any borders whatsoever, continue to piggyback on the EU's international trade agreements, while having full autonomy to rewrite the rules underpinning those agreements unilaterally.

Because a red bus told them it was possible.

you're seeing talking red buses Seamus? you may need to take a lie down

How can there be a compromise?

We want a guarantee that there will never be a hard border. The UK refuses to guarantee that.

That's it. Someone has to give. And seeing as it's the UK who wants to renege on their international agreements, it's up to them to back down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

United Ireland my arse.

Keep them up there where they belong. Us southerners will not tolerate any nordies, no matter what the class, colour or creed.

You sound like a northsider ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement