Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

jayus it was only a joke to take away from the usual nonsense in the thread from many but not all.

I take your mod point and wont post anything off topic.

And if i did post a My little pony picture, who the **** are you to judge me on it and call it a fetish, people may not take me serious based on your comment and think im some deviant without any evidence

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

This should keep Steve busy again for a while. :P

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,446 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

dashoonage wrote: »
    This should keep Steve busy again for a while. :P
    OK guys, you have me to deal with now. Any more speculation you can expect forum bans. If you move somewhere else on the site to speculate, well I can ban you from posting anywhere on this site

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

This day week for the hearing in Vegas, is he required to attend or can he send a representative?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Might be happy to have an excuse for a foreign jaunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I can't see cowboy really reacting to the trash talk in the build up but would still be interesting.

I'm not so sure about that. Wasnt one of cowboys worst performances against diaz? Diaz had talked smack in the run up and knocked his hat off during the face off. Cowboy had a complete adrenaline dump and fought very poorly. I'm pretty sure he mentioned afterwards that he had let it get to him. McGregor could say and do a lot worse in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

From a fighting perspective I do think McG is finished, I think if he loses his next fight which I suspect he will he’ll pack it in, I don’t think he has ever come back from mayweather, he’s just been well different for whatever number of reasons, his persona changed, became a lot darker and his skills as a fighter suffered with the long break from training/fighting, I still go back to his face on the walk in to the khabib fight, he just was not the same, haggered/worn looking, his energy was gone drained/like he was faking the bravado taunting khabib in the ring before the bell, we could argue over why that is but it comes back to there’s a lot to be said for getting out while you’re at the top, it’s cringe now when he’s putting out tweets saying he’s the best and the champ/champ when he just doesn’t have the record anymore to back up his mouth, I know he said he was only in it for the money but I don’t think it’s true I think his legacy and the perception others have of him are huge to his ego and it will burn him the way he’s being mocked etc about his losses now but for the past couple years it’s like he’s been on a path of self sabotage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

id say a washed up version fights late this year with a loss and that finish him as a belt challenger

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

He just needs a win under his belt rather than a prize fight in my opinion.
    He should just run through the likes of Cowboy and Iaquinta to get form back.

I believe there is still no headliner for March in Vegas. They are not really headliner match ups, but McGregor wont be on a card now unless he heads it.

Iaquinta beats him I reckon..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

What has to hurt even more is khabib said in a recent interview that McGregor doesn’t deserve a rematch. He says that the fight wasn’t even close so there is no reason for a rematch.

The three names he mentioned we’re Ferguson, George Saint Pierre and mayweather

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Iaquinta beats him I reckon..

I haven't seen enough of him...well just one fight with Khabib.
    He went 5 rounds after camp for a 3 round fight, so he's a tough cookie.

But, from what I seen of that fight, Khabib stopped applying pressure on the ground and used the fight as a spar session to get some stand up work done. There are many theories about this, but I'd go with that as Khabib was confident he'd done enough and wasn't worried about a knockout from Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

creeper1 wrote: »
    What has to hurt even more is khabib said in a recent interview that McGregor doesn’t deserve a rematch. He says that the fight wasn’t even close so there is no reason for a rematch.

Which proves his hypocrisy. I'm not saying Conor deserves a rematch but Khabib was all about that legacy before the fight now he is playing from Conors book.

Tony needs to be next but I would love to see GSP v Khabib as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I'm a massive McGregor fan (travelled multiple times to watch him fight) but Khabib is right, he absolutely doesn't deserve a rematch. The first fight wasn't competitive and all Conor can take from it is an uneventful round 3 on the judges scorecards.

What is interesting to me is how Conor performs against someone like Cowboy. That will be definitive as to whether he has indeed lost his former fighting self or if Khabib is just that much better than even his closest opposition in the rankings.

BigMo1 wrote: »
    That will be definitive as to whether he has indeed lost his former fighting self or if Khabib is just that much better than even his closest opposition in the rankings.

Well this is true for DC for everyone except Jones. Nobody has really troubled him in any fight besides the two Jones fights. Maybe Tony is Khabibs Jones?

Rory28 wrote: »
    Well this is true for DC for everyone except Jones. Nobody has really troubled him in any fight besides the two Jones fights. Maybe Tony is Khabibs Jones?

Great example. Personally I don't see Tony troubling Khabib. The problem is even if he does run through Tony it doesn't really give any more perspective to Conor's current state. To get that Conor needs to fight. Cowboy or a rematch with Max are extremely exciting prospects. A match up with Iaquinta is less exciting for me personally.

Great example. Personally I don't see Tony troubling Khabib. The problem is even if he does run through Tony it doesn't really give any more perspective to Conor's current state. To get that Conor needs to fight. Cowboy or a rematch with Max are extremely exciting prospects. A match up with Iaquinta is less exciting for me personally.

Yea I agree about Iaquinta. I dont get the hype for that fight. Either Cowboy, Max, Dustin, Aldo or Pettis if Wonderboy falls through.

Any of those fights would be amazing.

Cowboy or a rematch with Max are extremely exciting prospects.

I'd say he doubts himself after the Khabib fight. His attention isn't on fighting like it used to be. And I'd say he doesn't want to fight Max as he's scared he might lose to him. He'll pick someone else he thinks he has a better chance against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Effects wrote: »
    I'd say he doubts himself after the Khabib fight. His attention isn't on fighting like it used to be. And I'd say he doesn't want to fight Max as he's scared he might lose to him. He'll pick someone else he thinks he has a better chance against.

Didn’t he ask for a rematch straightaway?

Effects wrote: »

Hard to know most of that for sure. I mean he immediately rematched Nate after a loss and stated he wanted the Khabib rematch within a week of the fight so most of the evidence points to him wanting to avenge losses.

I don't give him much of a shot at beating Khabib in a rematch but would back him against Cowboy or Max. Both are great fights IMO, Max certainly more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He had to do that but his fighting days at the top level are over. Too many irons in the fire, too much money. Impossible to still have that drive to succeed when hes already done it.

Kavanagh thinks the same. He'll take some persuading to coach him again if his fights are the likes of Cowboy, Iaquinta, Lee, Poirier etc.

The Nal wrote: »
    He had to do that but his fighting days at the top level are over. Too many irons in the fire, too much money. Impossible to still have that drive to succeed when hes already done it.

Kavanagh thinks the same. He'll take some persuading to coach him again if his fights are the likes of Cowboy, Iaquinta, Lee, Poirier etc.

Oh I agree.

I was replying to the accusation he’s scared to face Khabib again.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Too much going on in connor's life for him to be able to prepare well for a must win fight.

Also who will train him, kavanagh is out. Will it be artem and Roddy?

Connor looks haggard in recent pics. Years of abuse are Finally catching up. He's nearly 31 now and the body can only take so much.

I mean he immediately rematched Nate after a loss and stated he wanted the Khabib rematch within a week of the fight so most of the evidence points to him wanting to avenge losses.

He was on his way up when he wanted the rematch against Nate.
    He's on his way down now. What else would you expect him to say after losing to Khabib? He's hardly going to admit he's afraid of a rematch.

It's just words and posturing. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that would think he could actually beat Khabib now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Oh I agree.

I was replying to the accusation he’s scared to face Khabib again.

You'd want to at least read the comments you get indignant over before replying to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The Nal wrote: »

Who does kavnagh think he is if he needs "persuading" to coach against the best lightweights in the world. Come on now.

It does seem they had a parting of ways quitley, but I'd say twas more McGregor blaming him for the khabib fight tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

creeper1 wrote: »

Khabib will do what he’s told.

If Conor wants the immediate rematch, he holds enough power to get it.

I’d be shocked if it isn’t announced almost as soon as the verdict from their hearing comes in.

You'd want to at least read the comments you get indignant over before replying to them.

Read what?

Someone suggested he’s afraid of max and knows he’d be beaten again my Khabib.

What are you referring too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    Khabib will do what he’s told.

If Conor wants the immediate rematch, he holds enough power to get it.

I’d be shocked if it isn’t announced almost as soon as the verdict from their hearing comes in.

Why would Conor want to get beaten like that again? It does nothing for him to get mauled by a better man again so soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement