Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

People are hyping up Khabib too much now.

He out grappled a tired under performing McGregor, fair enough, but people are forgetting how average he looked against Al Iaquinta not too long ago.

Great grappler for sure, but he ain't the beast people are claiming him to be now.

Reminds me of how Robbie Lawler was being spoken of after he beat Rory and Condit.

Remember all that crap. He was gonna take people's souls. Yeah, then Tyron slapped the shine of him.

Same is happening now with Khabib.

As for the possibility McGregor has fallen out with JK, could be, but McGregor can't really blame him, or at least not fully, as he wasn't doing what JK told him to do in the fight. It was clear he ignored certain instructions.

I hope McGregor can regain his hunger, get his head down, come back as to my mind he can still easily beat Khabib as he's much too easily hit. That hasn't changed, and is unlikely to.

The version of McGregor we seen in that fight wasn't a patch on him at his best. His punches looked feeble.

Have to say, I disagree with pretty much all that.

- To say Khabib looked average against Al is crazy. He strolled to a dominant 50-43 and used a couple rounds for basically a striking sparring session.

- Khabib is unbeaten, Robbie Lawler was had multiple losses before Woodley and arguably lost to Condit.

- Conor's punches looked feeble because he spent the entire first round defending from the bottom. His arms were spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kavanagh also said if he's going to do another fight he wants him in for a 12 week proper camp. Conor's ego might be telling him 6 weeks is enough, it's not when most of that is spent drying him out.

Dangerous dangerous game to be in if your not fully committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Paully D wrote: »
    1) He doesn’t actually think he will lose. He has won an immediate rematch before and has the belief to think he can do so again. Someone with Conor’s mentality doesn’t go into a fight thinking he’s going to lose.

2) The fight does a lot for him financially. He doesn’t exactly live a frugal lifestyle and the pay day he would get from a Khabib rematch would be monsterous.

It’ll get announced shortly after their hearing verdicts without a doubt, IMO. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t all but done behind the scenes.

Conor knew full well going into the last fight that he was going to lose. Just look at his demeanour before the fight, walking around the ring staring at the floor. When have you seen him like that before. Kavanagh more or less confirmed as much after the fight admitting they knew they would lose the first few rounds and try and take it from there but it didn't work out. Did Conor's family even travel for that one?

I don't think Conor believes he could ever beat Khabib and so his only motivation (and probably his biggest to begin with anyway) is financial. Kavanagh also knows Conor's best is behind him.

On the other hand, Khabib's motivation is not money at all (he still lives with his parents ffs!). Therefor, he has no interest in fighting Conor again. Why would he?

And to be honest, as a UFC fan, I've no interest is seeing a rematch. I'd much rather see Khabib fight someone at the top of their game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

McGregor fears Khabib.

Let's face it lads Conor is/was a very good fighter but Khabib is on another level, a once in a lifetime fighter imo. I think he will go down at the goat lightweight of all time and will soon move up to welterweight for superfights with the likes of Woodley/Askren/GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mayordenis wrote: »
    In fairness that was clearly nothing to do with the standing of either fighter. It could comfortably have been ahead of the hardy fight even taking into account the celebrity aspect. It was a relatively late addition to the card AND it was designed to make it look like even the prelims are going to be amazing in the ESPN era.

Sure but he was never a main eventer on that card regardless. McGregor taking fights against the likes of Cowboy is a step down. I don't think Kavanagh is keen on that. Remember if Kavanagh isn't in on it either is Roddy et al.

We could end up in a situation like when Tyson dumped Kevin Rooney and went with Don Kings guys. Which wouldn't end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Another point Conor needs to think about is that all future opponents now have a lot of ammunition to throw his way in the fight build up. Both in terms of his defeats in the cage and the extra curricular stuff outide of it. The master of pyschological warfare may get a taste of his own medicine. He didnt like it when Diaz made the juicing comment before their fight. What would be his reaction if everything else was thrown at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

EoineyM wrote: »
    Another point Conor needs to think about is that all future opponents now have a lot of ammunition to throw his way in the fight build up. Both in terms of his defeats in the cage and the extra curricular stuff outide of it. The master of pyschological warfare may get a taste of his own medicine. He didnt like it when Diaz made the juicing comment before their fight. What would be his reaction if everything else was thrown at him.

To be fair hes only lost 2 of his last 19 fights over a 9 year period and is 9-2 in UFC which is more than decent. Khabib aside there isn't anyone to throw muck at him about that. But he'll certainly be putting out more fires with regards to other stuff yeah.

Diaz is a funny one. He got $40k for his last fight before McGregor. Then 500k for fight 1 and then 2 million for fight 2!

By the time he fights next it'll likely be about 3 years out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

I’ve seen people say how good Diaz is off his back so would he get any joy from khabib if it went to ground?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

how.gareth wrote: »
    I’ve seen people say how good Diaz is off his back so would he get any joy from khabib if it went to ground?

Diaz is supposed to have excellent BJJ, given that Conor who is brown belt had some good defense against Khabib on the ground, Diaz would probably be able to defend in the same manner, but build an attack from the defense.
    But Khabib is just too good at pressure while on the mat.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Khabib is great at tying up people's legs when he has them on the ground. Doing that would nullify a lot of Diaz's jiu-jitsu and would make him a lot less effective on the ground. That's all assuming he can tie up Diaz's legs of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No joy at all , look at all Diaz losses bar one or two they are all against top heavy wrestlers or top heavy BJJ players like RDA,

He loses if a high level grappler gets him on his back,

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

No joy at all , look at all Diaz losses bar one or two they are all against top heavy wrestlers or top heavy BJJ players like RDA,

He loses if a high level grappler gets him on his back,

Fully agree with this. Big fan of Diaz but he was completely nullified against RDA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

We all know Diaz will never take that fight IF its even offered to him in the first place. He only fights Conor now.

I like the Diaz brothers but they do not look like they are coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭robwen

ricero wrote: »
    McGregor fears Khabib.

Let's face it lads Conor is/was a very good fighter but Khabib is on another level, a once in a lifetime fighter imo. I think he will go down at the goat lightweight of all time and will soon move up to welterweight for superfights with the likes of Woodley/Askren/GSP.

Khabib said a fight with GSP would have to be at 155
    “Georges St. Pierre is a very big name,” said Khabib. “I like, an opponent who is a very tough opponent and he’s a little bit bigger than me. If we’re gonna fight, we have to fight at 155, because 170 is his weight and he’s gonna be a little bit bigger than me. For me it’s like a smart decision taking him to 155. He’s a very big challenge for me. Like, for my legacy, he’s a very good match-up for my legacy, for fans, for money, for everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BigMo1 wrote: »
    - To say Khabib looked average against Al is crazy. He strolled to a dominant 50-43 and used a couple rounds for basically a striking sparring session.
    A truely dominant grappling fight shouldn't go 5 rounds imo. Khabib isn't one to spam submissions. But I really think his finish rate should be higher given his ability.
    ricero wrote: »
    I think he will go down at the goat lightweight of all time and will soon move up to welterweight for superfights with the likes of Woodley/Askren/GSP.
    Khabib gets asked about 170 a lot. He's made it clear he doesn't want to move up. Welter is a big jump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

See Nick Diaz vs GSP to see how that goes. Nates style is exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Gone are the days when high level MMA fighters get submitted by sitting in someone's guard. Just doesn't happen at the top level anymore by in large. Especially not with someone like Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Cheers that’s a resounding no so! I actually find it hard to believe conor won’t fight again but I suppose if he gets a nasty ban or fine from the commission he might say feck it and not bother again but I’ll be saying me prayers he gets back fighting before the summer is over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

If you take away Khabib’s wrestling how good would you rate him?
    Striking seems a bit one dimensional and more a means of setting up a take down rather than truly looking to do damage.

Didn’t Michael Johnson have good success in the exchanges until Khabib grabbed hold of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Striking seems a bit one dimensional and more a means of setting up a take down rather than truly looking to do damage.

Didn’t Michael Johnson have good success in the exchanges until Khabib grabbed hold of him.

I see what you're trying to do but surely that would defeat the entire purpose of considering him as an MMA fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

You can say that about any ufc fighter. Take away their biggest strength and what do you have? Mcgregor included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

pc7 wrote: »
    He was outside SBG on Instagram this morning, didn't have sound on, so not sure what he said but it seems to be gone now?

A few videos of him listening to rap and then the final one no music, someone asks him something indecipherable and he says there sorting it out. Didn’t appear to be in a particularly jovial mood. Must have been posted about 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

clsmooth wrote: »
    A few videos of him listening to rap and then the final one no music, someone asks him something indecipherable and he says there sorting it out. Didn’t appear to be in a particularly jovial mood. Must have been posted about 6am.

I train at 6 in the morning too, one thing I'm not at that hour is jovial

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Nothing worse than trying to start up a chainsaw at 7am in a Monday morning...

And it ain't priming lol

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Scotty # wrote: »
    Conor knew full well going into the last fight that he was going to lose. Just look at his demeanour before the fight, walking around the ring staring at the floor. When have you seen him like that before. Kavanagh more or less confirmed as much after the fight admitting they knew they would lose the first few rounds and try and take it from there but it didn't work out. Did Conor's family even travel for that one?

I don't think Conor believes he could ever beat Khabib and so his only motivation (and probably his biggest to begin with anyway) is financial. Kavanagh also knows Conor's best is behind him.

On the other hand, Khabib's motivation is not money at all (he still lives with his parents ffs!). Therefor, he has no interest in fighting Conor again. Why would he?

And to be honest, as a UFC fan, I've no interest is seeing a rematch. I'd much rather see Khabib fight someone at the top of their game.

There's literally no chance Conor thought he was going to lose. No fighter at UFC level goes into a fight thinking they're going to lose. None. And no fighter is "scared" of another that's across the cage from them at that level either, which is also a line that gets spouted on here too.

There's a difference between a strategy of conserving energy for a round or two against a fighter with an exceptional gas tank than it automatically meaning they think he's going to lose.

Khabib is a prize fighter and his sole purpose and motivation is to make as much money from it as possible. Make no mistake about it. Why do you think he's been campaigning for a fight with Mayweather? The bloke is doing seminars on his time off for a few grand a pop FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Doubt your uploading videos of yourself in the car listening to Toss It Up either :D

clsmooth wrote: »

read somewhere else that it looks like he was out of it - looking intoxicated and slurring his words etc- sure it was him going to the gym for training or coming back from a night out?

why would he be going to the gym at 6am - doesn't make sense. not as if he has to be in an office for 9am or something!

all deleted afterwards also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you take away Messi's arms and legs, how would you rate him on the football pitch?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If you take away Messi's arms and legs, how would you rate him on the football pitch?

Good in the air..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Still better than Balotelli

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement