Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

Rory28 wrote: »
    Yea I agree about Iaquinta. I dont get the hype for that fight. Either Cowboy, Max, Dustin, Aldo or Pettis if Wonderboy falls through.

Any of those fights would be amazing.

I'd give Iaquinta a better chance against him than all of them apart from Max to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Why would Conor want to get beaten like that again?

Money is the only logical reason he'd go for it. But I think he'll consider his record alongside the money aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'd give Iaquinta a better chance against him than all of them apart from Max to be honest

I dunno....Porier with the extra 10lbs is a frightening thing.

Iaquinta definitely beats him..he'd be well able for the left hand..mangles him on the ground..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd like to see Khabib fight Ferguson next and beat him, then move to 170 and fight Woodley. GSP ain't coming back.

I really can't see Conor get another title shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Scotty # wrote: »
    I'd like to see Khabib fight Ferguson next and beat him, then move to 170 and fight Woodley. GSP ain't coming back.

I really can't see Conor get another title shot.

OOOh woodley at 170...could khabib hang with him...now there is a fight i never knew i wanted to see

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, by all means talk about CMcG and fighting but I sick telling you all that any speculations about illegal acts are off the table.

Enough warnings have been given. I don't feel inclined to give more.

The amount of deleted posts since last night and the fact that admins had to step in today has not made me happy - I want you guys to have the craic by all means but ffs heed the mod posts and site rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dashoonage wrote: »
    OOOh woodley at 170...could khabib hang with him...now there is a fight i never knew i wanted to see

Khabib has made it pretty clear that he has no interest moving up and fighting at 170.
    And understandably so. Lightweight to Welter is a huge jump compared to other divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Plus Woodley would most likely murder him.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

The thing is here, privately this might be the first time McGregor has had to deal with the realisation that an immediate rematch may not bring about the desired result . The magnitude of that realisation, in a game where belief to win is absolutely paramount, might be nothing less than earth shattering for him.

Think about it...he'd jump in with Floyd tomorrow and give himself a fair chance, mad as that sounds to many. The same was obvious for Nate. Now he might have to contend with an opponent whose skill-set might always nullify his.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

If he wanted the rematch, like really wanted it, hed be shouting it from the rooftops ever since the defeat.

He never beats Khabib and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Why would Conor want to get beaten like that again? It does nothing for him to get mauled by a better man again so soon.

1) He doesn’t actually think he will lose. He has won an immediate rematch before and has the belief to think he can do so again. Someone with Conor’s mentality doesn’t go into a fight thinking he’s going to lose.

2) The fight does a lot for him financially. He doesn’t exactly live a frugal lifestyle and the pay day he would get from a Khabib rematch would be monsterous.

It’ll get announced shortly after their hearing verdicts without a doubt, IMO. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t all but done behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Looking back now how do you rate conors performance against khabib?

I thought he done a decent but not great job at muting khabibs grappling as in he still got taken down but he slowed khabibs advancing positions grappling wise i thought.

Striking wise i thought conor let himself down especially getting dropped that time, im guessing the fear of the takedown was always in his mind aswell.

In a rematch the only hope he has is to stop his takedowns like al laquinta and force the fight to be a stand up fight like al did. But that's only my opinion.

Paully D wrote: »
    1) He doesn’t actually think he will lose. He has won an immediate rematch before and has the belief to think he can do so again. Someone with Conor’s mentality doesn’t go into a fight thinking he’s going to lose.

That's old Conor. We are dealing with new Conor. He's gone off the rails.
    Unless he's so far off that he thinks he can win a rematch without actually putting in the work that it would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I think the rematch with Khabib makes most sense for Conor.
    I don't think he's actually afraid to fight anyone, his concern is the impact on his brand, and legacy.
    Khabib is a monster, clearly the best in his weight class. If you lose to Khabib you can still count yourself among the top 2 or 3 fighters in the division. Losing to Iaqunita or Poirier? Not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

I'd actually love to see Nate Vs Khabib and Conor Vs Tony.

I know Tony deserves the main stage now but I'd like to see this. Cowboy just doesn't do it for me.

In other news https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/dee-devlin-breaks-silence-first-13892942.amp

I'd actually love to see Nate Vs Khabib and Conor Vs Tony.

I know Tony deserves the main stage now but I'd like to see this. Cowboy just doesn't do it for me.

In other news https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/dee-devlin-breaks-silence-first-13892942.amp

Small typo in that article..
    "Meanwhile, Khabib Nurmagomedov claims her boyfriend Conor McGregor does not deserve another shot at the UFC lightweight belt."
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't think he's actually afraid to fight anyone, his concern is the impact on his brand, and legacy.
    Khabib is a monster, clearly the best in his weight class. If you lose to Khabib you can still count yourself among the top 2 or 3 fighters in the division. Losing to Iaqunita or Poirier? Not so much.

No he should fight cowboy next in the Dallas cowboys stadium

No he should fight cowboy next in the Dallas cowboys stadium

I'd prefer that fight, or Tony (if he gets screwed out of a title shot again). I'm saying what i think Conor's thoughts would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

derfderf wrote: »

If he loses to Khabib again it would be disastrous and the other opponents are much more winnable fights for him.

I personally like the Cowboy fight. I don't think it's easy but I think it's good style wise and will really show where Conor is at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Pity we will never know the outcome of the Conor who fought Eddie versus Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Pity we will never know the outcome of the Conor who fought Eddie versus Khabib.

Eddie Conor is the new sea level Cain.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who does kavnagh think he is if he needs "persuading" to coach against the best lightweights in the world.

Someone who doesn't think Conor needs to fight anymore. Someone who runs the most prominent MMA gym in the country and is coaching a load of other fighters who could/are looking to make the big time.

People saying Conor should take the Cowboy fight. FFS. I like Cowboy but he didn't even make it onto the main card on a Fight Night.

Kavanagh is dead right. Once a fighter starts showing signs of irreversible decline its time to pack it in. He would go again for Khabib 2 or Diaz 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

The Nal wrote: »
    Someone who doesn't think Conor needs to fight anymore. Someone who runs the most prominent MMA gym in the country and is coaching a load of other fighters who could/are looking to make the big time.

People saying Conor should take the Cowboy fight. FFS. I like Cowboy but he didn't even make it onto the main card on a Fight Night.

Kavanagh is dead right. Once a fighter starts showing signs of irreversible decline its time to pack it in. He would go again for Khabib 2 or Diaz 3 though.

Not saying you're wrong, but what are these signs of "irreversible decline"? He lost easily to probably the scariest LW in the sports history. No enormous shame in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Not saying you're wrong, but what are these signs of "irreversible decline"? He lost easily to probably the scariest LW in the sports history. No enormous shame in that.

Oh sure no shame at all. I'm referring to the decline in the time hes spending in the sport. Hes fought one MMA fight in the last 2+ years.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

He was outside SBG on Instagram this morning, didn't have sound on, so not sure what he said but it seems to be gone now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Nal wrote: »
    I like Cowboy but he didn't even make it onto the main card on a Fight Night.

In fairness that was clearly nothing to do with the standing of either fighter. It could comfortably have been ahead of the hardy fight even taking into account the celebrity aspect. It was a relatively late addition to the card AND it was designed to make it look like even the prelims are going to be amazing in the ESPN era.

BigMo1 wrote: »

He's not focused on his training the same way he used to be. There's no shame losing to Khabib, you're right. But he's just not in the fight game the way he was when he was at his peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

People are hyping up Khabib too much now.

He out grappled a tired under performing McGregor, fair enough, but people are forgetting how average he looked against Al Iaquinta not too long ago.

Great grappler for sure, but he ain't the beast people are claiming him to be now.

Reminds me of how Robbie Lawler was being spoken of after he beat Rory and Condit.

Remember all that crap. He was gonna take people's souls. Yeah, then Tyron slapped the shine of him.

Same is happening now with Khabib.

As for the possibility McGregor has fallen out with JK, could be, but McGregor can't really blame him, or at least not fully, as he wasn't doing what JK told him to do in the fight. It was clear he ignored certain instructions.

I hope McGregor can regain his hunger, get his head down, come back as to my mind he can still easily beat Khabib as he's much too easily hit. That hasn't changed, and is unlikely to.

The version of McGregor we seen in that fight wasn't a patch on him at his best. His punches looked feeble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement